Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-03-2024, 10:08 AM   #1
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Sorry to hear the tragic loss of life in the US.

What a mess.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-...iner/103637582

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2024, 10:46 AM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: Baltimore Bridge Collapse

by all accounts it could have been a lot, lot worse. It was the early hours of the morning, and it appears the ship's mayday, may have allowed traffic on the bridge to be stopped.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2024, 11:03 AM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, a real cluster.
Apart from the loss of life, the shipping channel is blocked too.
9 degrees in the water, poor buggers.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-03-2024, 10:12 PM   #4
randel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tragic…. In this day and age, with all the technology, shit still happens

Toys - 351 XY Falcon and FG GT
randel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2024, 07:10 AM   #5
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Shocking news - imagine in the dark how slowly that monstrous ship slowly slowly just glides into the pylon and crew couldn’t do a thing.
Could have been a lot worse as articles say.
Sorry for the fatalities terrible, road workers some were.
Wonder if any could see it approaching.
Something like 30k new vehicles a day go over the bridge.

https://apple.news/AkTMtFUfkS0mjUbnuTnl_RQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2024, 07:16 AM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It's been a long time (49 years) since the Tasman Bridge and the Lake Illawarra had an almost identical encounter that resulted in twelve deaths, including seven crew on board Lake Illawarra, and the five occupants of four cars which fell 45 meters (150 feet) after driving off the bridge - including one Darwin Award candidate who drove around the HQ Monaro driver trying to wave him down.

Again, it was a fortunate time of day being 21:45 on a Sunday night but there were two people in the Monaro and four in the FB who survived and made the photo above famous!

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 28-03-2024 at 07:24 AM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2024, 09:10 AM   #7
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an unnatural fear of being in a car that is sinking to deep depth, not sure why but likely due to various scenes in movies I am guessing.

My phobia is that great it has got to the point where, before I drive over either of the 2 bridges over the Port River, I will wind down my window no matter what the weather so that I can make a quick exit before car sank too far if necessary. I'd hate to be ****ing around in a panic trying to smash a window with the stem of headrest or similar due to the electrics having shorted, and then not getting out at all or not getting out until I was at a depth where it was dark and I had no idea of what was up or down with possibly too far to get to surface on a held breath.

No, have not invested in a glass breaker as I hope to be halfway out the already open window when car hits the water, not fumbling around trying to reach a tool in glovebox or console that may have moved through the impact

Last edited by Mulva; 28-03-2024 at 09:15 AM.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2024, 09:14 AM   #8
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
I have an unnatural fear of being in a car that is sinking to deep depth, not sure why but likely due to various scenes in movies I am guessing.

My phobia is that great it has got to the point where, before I drive over either of the 2 bridges over the Port River, I will wind down my window no matter what the weather so that I can make a quick exit before car sank too far if necessary. I'd hate to be ****ing around in a panic trying to smash a window with the stem of headrest or similar due to the electrics having shorted, and then not getting out at all or not getting out until I was at a depth where it was dark and I had no idea of what was up or down with possibly too far to get to surface on a held breath.
Had a friend that met his end, just as described & right there............
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2024, 09:18 AM   #9
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
Had a friend that met his end, just as described & right there............
Really sorry to hear - for you and particularly for him - and really very sorry for my post bringing back those thoughts/memories, though I suspect news coverage of this had already done that to you
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2024, 09:24 AM   #10
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Really sorry to hear - for you and particularly for him - and really very sorry for my post bringing back those thoughts/memories, though I suspect news coverage of this had already done that to you
He used to take a short cut on the City side of the wharves at night & stuffed up......... his wife used to tell him not to go that way, as she had bad thoughts about it!
Old 28-03-2024, 10:08 AM   #11
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
It's been a long time (49 years) since the Tasman Bridge and the Lake Illawarra had an almost identical encounter that resulted in twelve deaths, including seven crew on board Lake Illawarra, and the five occupants of four cars which fell 45 meters (150 feet) after driving off the bridge - including one Darwin Award candidate who drove around the HQ Monaro driver trying to wave him down.

Again, it was a fortunate time of day being 21:45 on a Sunday night but there were two people in the Monaro and four in the FB who survived and made the photo above famous!image
This HQ Monaro's auto transmission casing saved an entire family

Quote:
According to Frank, the only thing that stopped the car from tipping over the edge was the casing of the automatic transmission, which grinded and gripped into the surface of the bridge.

“If it was a four-speed [manual], we’d have all died!” he joked.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/overste...e-family-66872
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2024, 10:45 PM   #12
Trendseeker

Quote:

No, have not invested in a glass breaker as I hope to be halfway out the already open window when car hits the water, not fumbling around trying to reach a tool in glovebox or console that may have moved through the impact
That reminds me of an accident several years ago where a car plunged into Cooks River near Sydney Airport.

The driver had just picked up a new boat from Taren Point and was towing it home. As he approached the bridge at Cooks River on General Holmes Drive he was distracted and then had to brake suddenly when the car in front slowed.

Rather than taking the collision, he swerved to the left where there is a side street that runs along the grassy area at the side of the river. There was only the footpath and a small log fence between the side road and the grass, which runs down a steep slope to the river. He went straight through the fence, down the slope, off the breakwall and into the river.

You can read the newspaper story here.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/no-e...26-gdsnp7.html

Back then, I drove that road to work every day and saw the spot where it happened and was surprised that they mended the small fence but didn’t put a proper barrier there to prevent another similar accident. It would be almost impossible to stop your car going into the river if you went over the path and down the slope.

Another tragic and forgotten accident.
Old 29-03-2024, 08:32 PM   #13
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There has been some speculation that this could be one of the largest insurance claims in recent years.

It will be interesting to see if this interferes with the Australian insurance market.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2024, 08:59 PM   #14
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First thing I thought of was this disaster from 1980 Florida, under similar circumstances.

It all makes sense now.

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2024, 09:28 PM   #15
mondeomatureguy

Shocking accident. The first thing that came to my mind after seeing it was the
Tasman Bridge in Tasmania that happened in 1975 that killed 12 people.

I read in the paper that its going to take over 12 months to build a new bridge. i hope they can do it faster then 12 months for those people that need the bridge.

I was still going to high school when the Tasman Bridge in Hobart was hit by a ship. When it happened and because it was at night a guy got out of his car to warn the other drivers and they just drove right past him and over the edge.

They had the two cars that did stop hanging over the edge in the newspaper the next day. one was a EK Holden station wagon and the other was a New Holden Monaro.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2024, 07:59 AM   #16
HIPO
Al

& another.....

https://www.news.com.au/finance/mass...8f3773e2c3621b
Old 10-04-2024, 09:04 AM   #17
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Another power loss...
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2024, 09:54 AM   #18
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

well, this dropped out of the news cycle pretty quickly...
Old 10-04-2024, 09:56 AM   #19
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
Another power loss...
I'm sure it happens all the time
Old 11-04-2024, 07:18 AM   #20
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I'm sure it happens all the time
Yeah apparently so. Probably see it more often now, with the penny pinching in so many industries.
Old 11-04-2024, 11:56 AM   #21
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

The focus is profit, Quality and safety takes a back seat, its funny how many accidents , safety and quality issues are happening to major world businesses of late, Boeings falling apart, Toyota and Ford in court over faulty cars and many more, save a dollar here and make a profit there attitude.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2024, 01:07 PM   #22
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
well, this dropped out of the news cycle pretty quickly...
You're right, someone used a homophobic slur in the footy, leading story on every news channel.
3 users like this post: