Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
mondeoman
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo headlight switch lighting

Cross-posted from workshop, electrical forum.

I beleive there is a small BA7 1.2W globe fitted internally to the switch or knob that lights the white mark on the knob. (This is different to the 10mm wedge base globe that illuminates the headlight switch surround.)
Does anyone know how I get access to the internal BA7 globe and replace it?
The car in question is a HC (1997) GLX.

mondeoman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a Ford dealership would be your best bet, not to sure where else you could get it

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
BlackLS

The switch is mounted in the dash yeah?

Try to reach behind the dash up to behind the switch and see if there are any tabs or clips holding it in. It should slide forward. If its a bit hard to reach try taking some lower trim peieces off.

Not too many Mondeos on the forums. What year specs etc? Any mods?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
mondeoman
Starter Motor

I've since figured it out with help from a UK Mondeo group.
I'll post all the info here for any other Mondeo owners.
My car is a 1997 HC GLX hatchback 2.0 litre 5 spd manual (it replaces a 1997 HC LX Sedan 2.0 litre 5 spd manual)

OK, behind the headlight switch, there is a globe holder with a 10mm wedge base globe 1.2 or 2 watt seem OK, it illuminates the switch surround and markings.
On the earlier Mondeos (HA and HB here, Mk I in Europe) there is another bulb inside the knob of the light switch. Insert a thin, stiff probe (I used a straightened paperclip) into the small hole at the bottom of the knob itself, press in and pull the knob off when the clip is released. The globe is a BA7 base 1.2 watt and it it just fits into the hollow central shaft of the switch. replace the knob by pressing it back in till it clicks into place.

My HC (Mk II in Europe) has the hollow shaft, but doesn't seem to have the contacts for the globe. If you do need to change the globe in a HA or HB I've been warned that the more commonly found 2 watt globe will cause disclouration and ultimately melting of the switch parts. You need to get the 1.2 watt version.
Then in the middle of the switch knob is another
mondeoman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
OZXR4
formally ozmondeo

Thanks for that I have a HA so when it does go I will know what to do and which one to get. Thanks for the tip.