Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Aftermarket HUDs

Just wondering if anyone has found a good plug and play HUD in the market?

Do they all require you to stick the reflective tape on the windscreen?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Aftermarket HUDs

I recently bought a new one to replace the cheap SCA one I bought from Supercheap.

The one I bought was the Scosche HUD580GC, which can be bought at Autobarn and Repco stores.

It has a 5.8 inch screen, so the large display is better and easier to read than the smaller 3 inch models on the market.

The unit has an auto light sensor to adjust the brightness and dims for night time use to stop glare.

Cost is around $139.

The quality is excellent and update of the speed is fast. (Cheaper ones can be quite slow to update, especially on GPS mode).

The Scosche can either be operated using the built-in GPS or it can connect to the OBDII port, so you have the best of both worlds.

Connecting directly to the OBDII port means that it can also read and display other data from the car computer in real time such as RPM, voltage, coolant temperature, fuel used, etc.

The unit can also be fine-tuned for both OBDII or GPS mode so the speed is accurate... This is the key function you need that the cheaper HUD's don't usually have.

So for example, if connecting to the OBDII port and you know your displayed speed (on the dash) is out (under as it normally is) by say 2 kilometres compared to your GPS, then you can adjust the speed up or down by 1-kilometre increments so it reflects true GPS speed.

Very few HUD's allow both GPS operation and OBDII connection in the one model.

This means that the HUD can be used in any car, even pre-2001 cars that don't have OBDII ports.

To answer your question on "Do they all require you to stick the reflective tape on the windscreen"... You don't have to use the reflective patch BUT, the problem with laminated windscreens is you will get "double vision" of the display and reading as it reflects between the two laminated layers.

The reflective patch is a silver reflective mirror so overcomes this problem.

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I recently bought a new one to replace the cheap SCA one I bought from Supercheap.

The one I bought was the Scosche HUD580GC, which can be bought at Autobarn and Repco stores.

It has a 5.8 inch screen, so the large display is better and easier to read than the smaller 3 inch models on the market.

The unit has an auto light sensor to adjust the brightness and dims for night time use to stop glare.

Cost is around $139.

The quality is excellent and update of the speed is fast. (Cheaper ones can be quite slow to update, especially on GPS mode).

The Scosche can either be operated using the built-in GPS or it can connect to the OBDII port, so you have the best of both worlds.

Connecting directly to the OBDII port means that it can also read and display other data from the car computer in real time such as RPM, voltage, coolant temperature, fuel used, etc.

The unit can also be fine-tuned for both OBDII or GPS mode so the speed is accurate... This is the key function you need that the cheaper HUD's don't usually have.

So for example, if connecting to the OBDII port and you know your displayed speed (on the dash) is out (under as it normally is) by say 2 kilometres compared to your GPS, then you can adjust the speed up or down by 1-kilometre increments so it reflects true GPS speed.

Very few HUD's allow both GPS operation and OBDII connection in the one model.

This means that the HUD can be used in any car, even pre-2001 cars that don't have OBDII ports.

To answer your question on "Do they all require you to stick the reflective tape on the windscreen"... You don't have to use the reflective patch BUT, the problem with laminated windscreens is you will get "double vision" of the display and reading as it reflects between the two laminated layers.

The reflective patch is a silver reflective mirror so overcomes this problem.

I must be old fashioned because the last thing I want is flashing numbers directly in my line of sight. Especially at night.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I must be old fashioned because the last thing I want is flashing numbers directly in my line of sight. Especially at night.
A lot of cars now have them, like the Commodore since the VF.

The photo I posted was the manufacturer's enhanced "marketing" image.
But its not really that bright or as distracting as shown in the photo and is more transparent.

Besides, if you mount it lower to reflect on the windscreen and off to the side instead of directly infront of you, it is not that bad, and like anything new in life, you soon get used to it and don't notice it as much.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:59 PM   #5
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're such a fantastic thing to have. You don't realize how good they are until you actually need to look down at the dash and feel how far off the road you're taking your eyes.

Go Further $139 is actually a really reasonable price for what you get. I might go out and buy one for my old weekender that doesn't have a working speedo
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-05-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
GT2

Is there anything available with navigation built in?
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
and like anything new in life, you soon get used to it and don't notice it as much.
I disagree, I have an app on my phone that will give me a HUD. I simply rest the phone on top of the dash.
(unless of course you're one of the idiots that has to use the phone when driving)

I tried it when bringing my ute down from Qld and found it distracting as I was still watching (focusing on) the speed instead of the road.

My daily gives me a digital speed readout in the centre of the regular speedo. This is directly if front of me and takes less time to read than checking my mirrors.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Best safety feature ever. But not much good if it doesnt show what the allowed speed limit is. HUD is all about knowing the speed limit, your speed and not taking your eyes off the road.

Surely there are aftermarket units that offer these features..

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
I disagree, I have an app on my phone that will give me a HUD. I simply rest the phone on top of the dash.
(unless of course you're one of the idiots that has to use the phone when driving)

I tried it when bringing my ute down from Qld and found it distracting as I was still watching (focusing on) the speed instead of the road.

My daily gives me a digital speed readout in the centre of the regular speedo. This is directly if front of me and takes less time to read than checking my mirrors.
I have learnt in life, that it is better to use “dedicated” devices designed for a given function rather than using a device which is a “Jack of all trades... Master of none”.

It’s like using an adjustable shifter rather than the right sized ring spanner for a job.

I know many people use their phone for multiple functionality in the car to supplement for a GPS, music, voice recorder, OBDII reader and HUD.

However, it will never perform as well as something designed primarily for a sole purpose;

For example in my car I use;

1. Garmin GPS - Unlike a mobile phone, the GPS receiver in a Garmin or most better quality GPS units will be of higher spec and update satellite data faster per second for speed and road positioning.

2. Dedicated HUD - Again the GPS electronics in these better units are faster than a mobile phone, will be brighter, and have auto dimming when going through tunnels and night time use.
Also as the phone is not connected directly to the OBDII port, it cannot display other vehicle data.
Plus you have to remove it everytime you park the car and leave.
Leaving the phone on the dash in hot summer heat in a closed cabin is also not the best, where as the HUD I have is rated to 80 degrees C.

3. Dedicated OBDII scan tool (Actron) .... Better diagnostic info than many phone apps using a bluetooth adaptor.

4. Dedicated Voice recorder.... Can’t use the voice recorder app in a phone while in a phone call to take notes from clients while driving.

5. Dedicated iPod for music - I can leave it permanently connected in the console iPod dock in the FG MKII and I feel the digital signal sound processing is better than the iPhone I use.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #10
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone in NSW worried about speed should try https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t.speedadviser

It tells you every time there's a speed limit change and also warns you if you are speeding.
Sort of like a wife.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed!

That looks terrible to me.

I remember Nissan used to advertise the Bluebird in the 80's as having this "feature"

Some things shouldn't come back into fashion (such as your shorts gaso)

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Best safety feature ever. But not much good if it doesnt show what the allowed speed limit is. HUD is all about knowing the speed limit, your speed and not taking your eyes off the road.

Surely there are aftermarket units that offer these features..

Lol my VF wasn't always correct.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2021, 01:06 PM   #13
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just bought the new version of the sca hud for $89. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...ay/579260.html

Was originally keen on the scoshe version from jbhifi, until I read reviews they like to overheat & throw out a warning buzzer & shut down

I can't comment on the quality of this sca hud yet, but it runs on 12v, has a 1year warranty & I can take it back if I'm not happy so it's worth the gamble. And this new version has the ability for speedo correction which was apparently a major fault in the previous version 👍 out of the box its reading 58kph when my cars says 60kph, so it's actually reading spot on using GPS satellites. There's the expected lag which is frustrating I guess, but it's pouring down so that might be a factor as well.

As with most of these things, they require u to apply a strip of film to the windscreen, which I will not be doing as I've got the image sitting pretty high up & don't wanna see an ugly piece of plastic there. As such, the numbers have a bit of ghosting but I'm fine with that. I've got the image up high because I chose a spot to place the module on the back of the hump on the dash so I don't have to see it as much. If I placed in down on the flat area close to the windscreen, then u can see the actual screen on the module which looked crap. Would be nice if they made a shroud along one side of it to block the actual screen from the driver.

Overall, I recommend it, it's quite a cool feature on an older car 😃
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #14
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://postimg.cc/nCPr0cpP
https://postimg.cc/5Hwt4Bvh
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2021, 10:31 AM   #15
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
I just bought the new version of the sca hud for $89. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...ay/579260.html
I forgot to update this thread. I ended up going with the Kogan HUD, which was on special at the time for about $40. Have been using it for about 18 months. All I can say is....it is brilliant! I don't even have to use the reflective backing. Actually the reflective backing was WAY too bright even on the lowest brightness setting. If you put the HUD close enough to the glass you don't get the double image effect, and you can still see the HUD speedo on a really bright day.

I can't go back to a normal setup now. Whenever I drive someone else's car I find looking down at the dash distracting.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #16
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I forgot to update this thread. I ended up going with the Kogan HUD, which was on special at the time for about $40. Have been using it for about 18 months. All I can say is....it is brilliant! I don't even have to use the reflective backing. Actually the reflective backing was WAY too bright even on the lowest brightness setting. If you put the HUD close enough to the glass you don't get the double image effect, and you can still see the HUD speedo on a really bright day.

I can't go back to a normal setup now. Whenever I drive someone else's car I find looking down at the dash distracting.
same, just so wrong looking at a dash..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #17
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you put the HUD close enough to the glass you don't get the double image effect.
I'm going try make a shroud along the back of the module out of a black plastic folder cover so I can move it down close to the windscreen & not see the module's screen. I also noticed the ghosting disappeared when I lifted my head towards the roof, so it appears having the perfect viewing angle can do without the film
Old 12-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #18
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is where I placed it. As you can see, a really bright day and no issues seeing the number.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:46 AM   #19
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still looks like a double image though
Old 12-01-2021, 01:02 PM   #20
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Still looks like a double image though
Its not perfect, but at sitting height its pretty ok. I didn't like the reflective backing cos it looks crap from outside, and was way too bright inside, especially at night, it would light up the interior
Old 12-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #21
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moved it closer to windscreen, numbers are larger, brighter & I made a shield so module screen can't be seen.... Success 👍 still has ghosting though 😞

https://postimg.cc/xcnBqrVX
Old 12-01-2021, 05:08 PM   #22
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the heads up display, ours shows the nav signal where to turn with sound off etc. but its in a dull blue like Aarons shows.
I don't think the bright colours of that aftermarket HUD are safe, more of a distraction
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2021, 05:16 PM   #23
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Moved it closer to windscreen, numbers are larger, brighter & I made a shield so module screen can't be seen.... Success 👍 still has ghosting though 😞

https://postimg.cc/xcnBqrVX
Nice! might try that, although I'm so used to it now I don't even notice the slight "double image". If you move it too close then you see the reflection of the device.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:49 PM   #24
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nice! might try that
Only downside with the shield, was it semi blocked the small (useless) symbols at the top which bugged me. Applied a strip of electrical tape on them so they don't shine at all. Fixed 😂