Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
Womble99

Default Pano Tinting

Has anyone had any experience with tinting the pano roof on a titanium? I have read some mixed reports about tinting sunroofs so I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried it?

My main interest would be for the increased UV protection passengers but it would also be a plus for the interior I guess.
Womble99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
stock1991
Limited supply

Default Re: Pano Tinting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble99 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with tinting the pano roof on a titanium? I have read some mixed reports about tinting sunroofs so I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried it?

My main interest would be for the increased UV protection passengers but it would also be a plus for the interior I guess.
tinting practically gives zero assistance in uv protection/ %99 of the uv is stopped by the glass. now a mate told me he does it for the .0001 percent extra uv but essentially tinting is for privacy and or for appearance
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
Womble99

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
tinting practically gives zero assistance in uv protection/ %99 of the uv is stopped by the glass. now a mate told me he does it for the .0001 percent extra uv but essentially tinting is for privacy and or for appearance
Never thought about how much auto glass actually blocks out. Turns out windscreens are about 98% while side windows can be up to 79% depending on thicknesses and colour according to the cancer council of Australia.

I would guess a panoramic roof would be similar to a windscreen in construction. They still recommend tinting for work vehicle and the public should consider it's benifits as well.

Doesn't really help with whether a pano can be tinted though?
Old 26-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #4
stock1991
Limited supply

I would guess if it's glass it can be tinted
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

Would love a way to be able to keep the interior cooler in the summer. The pano roof deffo doesn't help.
Old 27-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
Womble99

Anything to keep the car cooler with the temps over 40 around here through summer will be a godsend.
Old 27-01-2018, 11:38 PM   #7
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the 90s I had a glass sunroof in a commodore. It was one of those ones that was tinted with a mirror finish (but within the glass) and it didn't seem to make much difference - it was damn hot, even with the shade closed. When it stopped working (gearbox failure) I couldn't raise it at the rear to vent the heat, making it even more of a pain.

I ended up cutting up one of those foil/bubble windscreen shades to the exact size, and sat it between the slide-back shade, and the glass itself. Made a bit of a difference. Don't know if you may be able to cut up a custom shade to attach to the glass when parked? even with a few suction cups to hold it up perhaps?

One of the guys at work has a range rover evoque with the glass roof, and he got one of those car umbrella things. It lasted 3 or 4 goes, then he got the ****s with how long it took to set up. Now he just throws a cotton sheet over it and closes all the doors on the sheet.

But none of those help when driving.....and the A/C will be working it's butt off to keep up, so tint is really the only option for all-round benefit.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
bananasnblow
Starter Motor

lets face it, a metal and glass car sitting in full sun on a 30c to 40c+ day will get really hot regardless of sunroof or tinting. It's just hot and nothing will keep it cool bar AC on whilst parked. Even in the shade the car will take on the ambient external air temp - like a heat sink.

'They' have those little fans you put in an window let slightly ajar, that will keep the air moving but again, hot air in, hot air out.

It's a futile exercise.
bananasnblow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post