Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default MD moonroof question

A potential problem!!

Testing that things work.

Opened the moonroof, which pushed the cover back first, then tested the various settings which all worked OK, then closed the thing.

Cover did not close so read the manual. Says it is a manual operation - gentle pull , no movement - slightly harder pull, still no movement.

Enough - time to ask a question.

Is it manual or not, and if not how do you get it closed?

New cars - GRR!

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #2
R12RT

Default Re: MD moonroof question

Push the button to close. Short push and the cover will open/close completely. Long press and release to partly open/ close.
R12RT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12RT View Post
Push the button to close. Short push and the cover will open/close completely. Long press and release to partly open/ close.
Thank you, but this doesn't seem to work.

The glass is working as I believe it ought to:

If closed a short push on the backward facing button fully opens the glass rearwards.

If open a short push on the forward facing button fully closes the glass.

A push on the centre button tips the rear edge of the glass upwards.

But nothing I have done has any effect on the cloth cover, except that on the first occasion I opened the glass rearwards, it first opened the cloth cover rearwards but I can't remember if both cover and glass moved together or cover moved fully backward first and then the glass.

I take your point about long pushes partially opening or closing the glass.

Guess it's a visit to the dealer for some ownership training.

Funny that the user manual suggests that the cover is a manually operated part. Currently it is "locked" in the rear most position and seems fixed against a stop like a motor limit.

Thanks again for the response

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 10-03-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

I thought the shade is only manually operated but if you open the glass with the button with the shade closed, it opens it as well purely by catching it and opening it manually as such. It does not operate when you close. The OM is a bit confusing:

The sliding shade can be manually opened or closed when the moonroof is closed. Pull the shade toward the front of the vehicle to close it.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2018, 11:30 PM   #5
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
I thought the shade is only manually operated but if you open the glass with the button with the shade closed, it opens it as well purely by catching it and opening it manually as such. It does not operate when you close. The OM is a bit confusing:

The sliding shade can be manually opened or closed when the moonroof is closed. Pull the shade toward the front of the vehicle to close it.
Thank you for the response.

Got it closed!!!

But it needed a global open followed by a global close sequence.

This seems to suggest that:

1. The cloth shutter is motorised, and
2. The manual is inaccurate - or perhaps has not been updated from a previous version of the car.

I suspect, but can not verify, that the manual is correct for the hatchback version of the car, which suggests that the glass is fixed and the cloth shutter can be manually opened and closed to allow vision to the outside through the fixed glass. Owners of MD titanium spec vehicles might care to add comments here. I might add that in our car there is no obvious place to grasp the cloth shutter to effect either an open or close action.

I'm wondering if, in the wagon version of the car, which has moving glass, Ford expect that owners will perform a global close action when they exit to ensure that the roof of the car is secure so far as both the glass and cloth shutter are concerned when the moonroof has been opened whilst the ignition has been active.

In any event the system seems to be working, not as I expected, but this is of little concern as I doubt it will get much if any use because I would prefer to be shielded from Australia's harsh summer sunlight as much as possible.

Might get a bit of use on balmy clear evenings - but it is called a "moonroof" for a good reason, I suppose.

Thanks to members who have provided advise. Much appreciated.

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red