Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New car in the shed

Picked up an MD Titanium Wagon at lunch time.

It'll take me three days to read the book and a month or two to find out what everything controls.

I thought the MA we have had for 8 years now was a pretty refined car, but the 60km drive back home has me thinking that this one is going to be very, very liveable.

The dealer linked my phone for me, but it looked quite easy so herself's phone will get done next. Got the navigation set up for getting us back to the house with ease and loved the Adaptive Cruise system and blind spot monitoring.

What will they think of next.

Trying the auto parking will be a test of confidence. SWMBO has said she doesn't want to be in the car when I give it a try.

So we will wait to see what niggles crop up as we get used to all the facilities the car possesses.

Handing over the Territory's keys after 14 years was less traumatic than I anticipated. Hopefully the next owner will get similar service to that which we have had during ownership.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Default Re: New car in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
Picked up an MD Titanium Wagon at lunch time.

It'll take me three days to read the book and a month or two to find out what everything controls.

I thought the MA we have had for 8 years now was a pretty refined car, but the 60km drive back home has me thinking that this one is going to be very, very liveable.

The dealer linked my phone for me, but it looked quite easy so herself's phone will get done next. Got the navigation set up for getting us back to the house with ease and loved the Adaptive Cruise system and blind spot monitoring.

What will they think of next.

Trying the auto parking will be a test of confidence. SWMBO has said she doesn't want to be in the car when I give it a try.

So we will wait to see what niggles crop up as we get used to all the facilities the car possesses.

Handing over the Territory's keys after 14 years was less traumatic than I anticipated. Hopefully the next owner will get similar service to that which we have had during ownership.

Cheers
I have tried the auto park, I just can't do it I have to take control same as the adaptive cruise
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

don't leave us hanging.....what colour? lol
Old 09-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
don't leave us hanging.....what colour? lol
Ruby Red...
Old 09-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
I have tried the auto park, I just can't do it I have to take control same as the adaptive cruise
I tried auto park too, once - tried to reverse parallel park on the left using the system. But I just wasn't sure if it had sufficiently cleared the rear bumper of the car in front before turning the wheel to the right, so I took over. It's probably because it has a shorter and more tapered front end than the Fairmont that I'm used to, and I just need to re-adjust to the new dimensions, but I've never used auto park since.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
Womble99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
Ruby Red...
Congrats on the purchase and good choice on the colour. We picked up a new ruby red titanium hatch a couple of weeks ago. Still working out what all the functions do.....
Womble99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #7
thebigd

Just to add to the New Car and Ruby Red comments...
Picked up my Trend Diesel Hatch on Tuesday. Company car, and switching from an FG2 XR6 LPi, I was initially concerned about performance. Four days later... I'm in love. No it doesn't have the punch off the line like the Falcon did, but in all other areas, wow !!! I haven't pushed it hard yet, but can feel the diesel engine is a weapon once you're going. Totally satisfied, and that paint in the sun...

Last edited by thebigd; 06-06-2019 at 06:24 PM.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #8
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, 2 months have gone by and now the red car is parked in the shed hard up against a wall while we use the blue car.

I can hear the wails - but it isn't what you may think, it's simply that in a couple of weeks we will be parking a car at the airport for a week and SWMBO has made an executive decision -"We are NOT leaving the new car in a parking lot for 8 days!!"

But the blue car needs some work on the road so we will use that until we get back from FNQ.

Niggles on the red car?? No, we haven't got any. You walk up with a key in your pocket, grasp the driver's door handle and it unlocks, shifts the seat and steering wheel to the position dictated by the key, slide into the (very comfortable) seat, press the brake pedal and the start button, shift into reverse, press the park brake off button and reverse down a quite steep drive while watching a screen showing you where the car is going to go ( and where the pedestrians are on either side), into drive and off you go.

And if thebigd wants some get up and go from a stationary position, just put enough revs on to get the turbo spooled up and the release the brake - but be warned - too many revs will have you braking traction and if Mr Plod is about you might get a ticket for "Hooning"".

And these are not criticisms, but another 20 metres of light ahead of the car on low beam would be good, and if the navigator would allow for Melbourne suburbs in address descriptions that would be nice too. Did you know there are four places along the Nepean Highway that have the 1051 number? And the navigation software will always try to take you to the one nearest Melbourne _ Wasn't where I wanted to go - but that's the Navigation OS rather than Ford. Perhaps the upgrade I read about elsewhere will fix that.

TTFN

Happy Mondeo-ing

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
mcsweenyfives

I prefer to use Android auto than the Ford navigation. Google maps gets you there quicker. Tested today and Google saved me 12 minutes.
I've done 25000k in 13 months I like driving the Mondeo titanium wagon that much. Just went for a drive from Brisbane to ballina and back today for no reason whatsoever. But such an easy drive. Auto wipers, auto lights, auto cruise, steering assist . All I had to do was stay awake and steer in the general direction and change Lanes when approaching a slower car.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
mcsweenyfives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
And if thebigd wants some get up and go from a stationary position, just put enough revs on to get the turbo spooled up and the release the brake - but be warned - too many revs will have you braking traction and if Mr Plod is about you might get a ticket for "Hooning"".
Thanks Al, I'll try it. Have actually been thinking about the Bluefin device. Peter at Superchips claims the device will eliminate (most) of this. Plus the added torque and kw gains should put a bigger smile on my face. Honestly, pretty impressed with the diesel as it is.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #11
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsweenyfives View Post
I prefer to use Android auto than the Ford navigation. Google maps gets you there quicker. Tested today and Google saved me 12 minutes.
I've done 25000k in 13 months I like driving the Mondeo titanium wagon that much. Just went for a drive from Brisbane to ballina and back today for no reason whatsoever. But such an easy drive. Auto wipers, auto lights, auto cruise, steering assist . All I had to do was stay awake and steer in the general direction and change Lanes when approaching a slower car. Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Totally agree with your comments mc. Did Brisbane / Gold Coast return today in the rain. Effortless. The territory I cover for work is Caboolture / Grafton / Moree / Roma, and basically everything in between. Cant wait for my next country trip.
Cant comment on Android, but have tried Apple Car Play, and ended up switching it off. Happy with the Sync 3 & GPS as is, although I do turn off the GPS voice instruction. Too many interruptions to my music.

Last edited by thebigd; 08-05-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #12
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
Just to add to the New Car and Ruby Red comments...
Picked up my Trend Diesel Hatch on Tuesday. Company car, and switching from an FG2 XR6 LPi, I was initially concerned about performance. Four days later... I'm in love. No it doesn't have the punch off the line like the Falcon did, but in all other areas, wow !!! I haven't pushed it hard yet, but can feel the diesel engine is a weapon once you're going. Totally satisfied, and that paint in the sun...
When I did the driver training course offered by Ford a few people managed to smoke the tyres off the line in the emergency braking test. I can confirm that the ABS works shockingly well on these cars, IIRC we sped up to 70km/h then slammed on the brakes hard.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #13
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
When I did the driver training course offered by Ford a few people managed to smoke the tyres off the line in the emergency braking test. I can confirm that the ABS works shockingly well on these cars, IIRC we sped up to 70km/h then slammed on the brakes hard.
I imagine 400nm through the front wheels will always produce wheel spin if you choose to drive in those controlled conditions. I'm more interested in getting power to the ground without any spin. Actually, now that I think about it, does the Mondeo have a traction control override switch like the FG's did ? I don't think I've seen one in the car.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #14
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
I imagine 400nm through the front wheels will always produce wheel spin if you choose to drive in those controlled conditions. I'm more interested in getting power to the ground without any spin. Actually, now that I think about it, does the Mondeo have a traction control override switch like the FG's did ? I don't think I've seen one in the car.
You are quite correct.

Exiting from our housing estate, we enter a T junction onto an 80 kph limited main connecting road, facing uphill.

I have to be VERY careful executing a left hand turn here, moderate throttle will always break traction on the left side of the car. Gives SWMBO quite a fright - but I'm learning. The blue car has 320 NM the extra 80 NM on the red car might not seem much, but in first gear through the step down ratios it's probably in excess of 1000NM (total) at the wheels - and it breaks traction easily.

I really like diesels with that wide rev range at close to maximum torque figure, since the gearbox keeps you in the maximum torque range highway overtaking is almost a non event - but the adaptive cruise control slows you behind a slower vehicle so gently it's easy to suddenly find that you are 10 to 15 kph below the limit that you've chosen.

TTFN

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 09-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #15
mcsweenyfives

Just got back from Sunshine coast. Filled up at beerburrum, drive through mooloolaba to Coolum had lunch and then drive to Capalaba (Brisbane/Redlands city). 190+ km with fuel economy of 5.1. looking forward to my trip to Townsville in July. I am thinking if I fill at gympie no more refuel until I getting to Townsville. Certainly a change from the old 4.0l petrol and 2.7l diesel territories that I have done the trip in.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
mcsweenyfives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2018, 12:51 AM   #16
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

When I bought mine in Brisbane I did a detour around Mount Delaney and continued on, I originally thought to fill up in Mackay but chickened out and filled up in Rocky hoping I'd make it to Cairns to see how well it'd go.

That saw me blow through Mackay and as it were dark I overnighted in Townsville. Not knowing how well it'd go I chickened out and filled up the next morning before heading on to Cairns. Turns out you can get to Cairns from Rocky with a couple of hundred K's spare in the tank.

Loved it, loved it, loved it, but one aspect I didn't realise was being able to travel 1200 odd kays you stay in the car far longer than I'd have liked. My legs were killing me.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #17
thebigd

Just noticed my car didn't come with the HUD anti collision lights at the base of the windscreen. It activated yesterday, and instead, the whole LCD panel between the speedo and tacho flashed red and chimed.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #18
Womble99

Has anyone been able to get a vehicle centerline to display on the reversing camera? I can only get it if I am in the zoomed in mode for connecting a trailer which has a very limited use.

Can't for the life of me see why they would have dropped it?
Womble99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post