Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 06:23 PM   #13321
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Melbourne in lockdown.

Sydney, Wollongong and now Newcastle and Hunter lockdown.

Brisbane lockdown.

In percentage terms and logistics the engine room of Australia in lockdown.

The cost is astronomical to Australia.

I know one should not look with the wisdom of hindsight, but if Australia had spent the money for purpose designed stand alone quarantine facilities at the outset, and had Scott Morrison not penny pinched on vaccine costs and throttled Pfizer in favour of the cheaper Astra, things might be looking different now.

Is that saying- penny wise pound poor.

And another one- it's not a race.....

You know we are in trouble when the original poster comes back after 13000 posts...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #13322
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
While we debate the merits of lockdowns and their timings, let's get some perspective.

In the last 10 days, Australia has recorded 2,308 cases and 10 deaths which even though we now have case numbers above the 90th percentile (235) is still only 9.05 cases per 100k of population.

Contrast that with some countries that are in real trouble over the current 10 day period. All figures are per 100k of total population: Turkey (335), Thailand (344), Portugal (360), Ireland (362), USA (368), Tunisia (376), Israel (381), Iraq (393), Iran (516), Libya (517), Kazakhstan (537), UK (560), Spain (679), Malaysia (738), Cypress (759), Georgia (1,015), Cuba (1,081) and Bangladesh (1,108).
And on average 420-470 Australians die each day... that's a perspective too.

I have it on good authority that most people with confirmed C19, are prescribed to go home rest, and take panadol i.e. simply ride it out. Add a cuppa and chicken noodle soup to the recovery routine and it does appear that we're treating the flu.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 07:35 PM   #13323
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I have it on good authority that most people with confirmed C19, are prescribed to go home rest, and take panadol i.e. simply ride it out. Add a cuppa and chicken noodle soup to the recovery routine and it does appear that we're treating the flu.
They're being prescribed rest and a Panadol because there's no treatment to help fight the viral infection and there's nothing hospitals can do until you've developed moderate disease symptoms.

"No treatment available" does not equal "basically just the flu"...

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/co...ink#H875275317
Old 06-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #13324
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Melbourne in lockdown.

Sydney, Wollongong and now Newcastle and Hunter lockdown.

Brisbane lockdown.

In percentage terms and logistics the engine room of Australia in lockdown.

The cost is astronomical to Australia.

I know one should not look with the wisdom of hindsight, but if Australia had spent the money for purpose designed stand alone quarantine facilities at the outset, and had Scott Morrison not penny pinched on vaccine costs and throttled Pfizer in favour of the cheaper Astra, things might be looking different now.

Is that saying- penny wise pound poor.

And another one- it's not a race.....

Current outbreak doesn't stem from hotel quarantine though.
It stems from transporting an infected air crew.

So regardless of where you quarantine someone, there would still be the possibility of transmission of the virus.
Unless everyone is suited up in full hazmat gear.
And even then it's not 100% safe.

Probably should have not let anyone back in months ago, until the majority of the public was vaccinated.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #13325
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
So, come on, fess up… Who HERE have been financially impacted by these rules?
Versus those WHO have continued to receive their weekly/monthly salaries, and wanta throw rocks at those that dare protest these previously unheard of restrictions??
I swear, it’s ONLY when it hits your own pocket that you question??
Pretty much everyone in my close family and close friends are essential workers and have not been affected. Except my brother in law. He was pro lock down because he wanted short term pain so everything can get back to normal.

Now Sydney is up to week 6 of lockdown I'll have to find out if he is still pro lockdown.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 08:15 PM   #13326
Metdevil

Quote:
And the vast majority will ride it out, their immune system will develop antibodies and they continue with living.
Death isn't the only measure of impact the virus is having...
5 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #13327
yakcam
I drank what?

Quote:
A question?… How many commenting in this thread have been impacted financially by these continual lockdowns?
I quit my job in late 2019 to try and find some happiness. It's a long story, but I sold everything and had a solid plan. Then CV-19 hit. So, with that and dodgy/slow tradesmen where I was stuck in Adelaide for the first 6 months of this year (Love the place, it's amazing), I'm out about $60k.

I had an investment that I sent to L.A in late 2019 to be auctioned in early 2020. Due to covid, the auction was postponed and was eventually held in late August. It sold for a lot less than was expected. Probably by around 80-100k.

When that's all you have left in life and you don't have a job. $140-160k out of pocket is a big hit and it's possibly going to break me.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #13328
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I finally got around to booking my jab for 6/10. It took 54 mins on the phone but I got that box ticked

As it turned out I couldn't book online because I changed address! They even had my mums details correct and my old address and the same Medicare number.

What a **** system if it takes that long here with no risk. I can only imagine how ****ed it is in NSW!

As Charliewool brought up. It's easy to want all these lockdowns when you're sitting sweet. Full disclosure I have been going to work this whole time and have never worked harder so I'm sweet as.

People lose jobs all the time usually, that is just market forces and that is capitalism.

But that is not what is happening here right now, the governments are stripping away a persons ability to work which is fine so long as long as they fairly compensate. The businesses have no cash flow due to the start/stop nature of lockdowns.

$750 a week? I'd be ok but **** me would that even cover a mortgage repayment in Sydney and Melbourne?
Old 06-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #13329
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
And the vast majority will ride it out, their immune system will develop antibodies and they continue with living.
And if we let the vast majority of people get covid, the small percentage that don't ride it out will be a huge number. Let it run through the entire population and we just lose 1% people who catch it - 250,000 people.

We are only avoiding this at the moment by isolationism. From each other and the rest of the world.

3 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 09:39 PM   #13330
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A question?… How many commenting in this thread have been impacted financially by these continual lockdowns?
Ok, I ain’t there… However, talking to family, friends etc back in Oz, the feedback I get is if you’re still getting paid, they back govco unquestionably with their lockdown rules?
I spoke to a good mate last night who owns some substantial commercial property in Melbs West… he estimates he )is out of pocket well over a mil in the last 18 months with tenants unable to pay legally contracted leases… Help from Gov? Zilch!
Said mate ain’t a millionaire either, he’s similar age to me (65) and has worked his ring off to get there… these properties were to be his superannuation… Stands to lose everything unless he can get new tenants..
He is absolutely beside himself with severe depression…
And I’m sure there are thousands of similar stories Australia wide?
Versus those WHO have continued to receive their weekly/monthly salaries, and wanta throw rocks at those that dare protest these previously unheard of restrictions??
Craig Kelly put this out last week:

We all know it will never happen, I think though he has a point.
5 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 09:48 PM   #13331
Metdevil

Quote:
Well having seen Australia's handling of the situation compared to NZ's, if it came down to one 4-6 week lockdown done well versus off-and-on again lockdowns over the period of more than a year, I don't really think it would matter how badly it affected me, I know which one I'd choose.

You'd think that if you knew you were going to be heavily impacted financially that you'd prefer a one-and-done lockdown.

We haven't seen a level-4 lockdown in New Zealand since the first one in March-April 2020, and I don't know anyone personally who would want another one.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:05 PM   #13332
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
They're being prescribed rest and a Panadol because there's no treatment to help fight the viral infection and there's nothing hospitals can do until you've developed moderate disease symptoms.

"No treatment available" does not equal "basically just the flu"...

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/co...ink#H875275317
Panadol is specifically prescribed to control fever, one of the first symptoms of illness if affected by corona virus
My mate an RN in Sydney told me that!

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 06-08-2021 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Add a bit
Old 06-08-2021, 10:33 PM   #13333
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who can be ****ed listening to premiers giving 1hr press conferences everyday? I've tuned out of this **** seriously.

The only facts that matter are what are the restrictions, how many cases, how many are local, how many were in the community, how many in hospital, and how many are in ICU. A pleb can do that.

It doesn't take 1hr at all
Old 06-08-2021, 10:46 PM   #13334
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Who can be ****ed listening to premiers giving 1hr press conferences everyday? I've tuned out of this **** seriously.

The only facts that matter are what are the restrictions, how many cases, how many are local, how many were in the community, how many in hospital, and how many are in ICU. A pleb can do that.

It doesn't take 1hr at all
If she removed these lines:

'And I must say'
'I thank the xyd people that lined up for testing'
'Based on the health advice'
'We're all in this together'
'I do want to convey'
'I can't stress that enough'
'Having said that'

The conference would be done in 5 minutes.

I think she is also inside betting on what colour jacket she wears each day just quietly...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
4 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 10:50 PM   #13335
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
If she removed these lines:

'And I must say'
'I thank the xyd people that lined up for testing'
'Based on the health advice'
'We're all in this together'
'I do want to convey'
'I can't stress that enough'
'Having said that'

The conference would be done in 5 minutes.

I think she is also inside betting on what colour jacket she wears each day just quietly...

Sounds like you could turn it into a half-decent drinking game

4 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 10:59 PM   #13336
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
Sounds like you could turn it into a half-decent drinking game

True... but a drinking game of 1 player ain't all that fun and she certainly isn't worth the bandwidth in the future...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 06-08-2021, 11:20 PM   #13337
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
a drinking game of 1 player ain't all that fun...
Guess that's just me :p
3 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 12:48 AM   #13338
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok, I ain’t there… However, talking to family, friends etc back in Oz, the feedback I get is if you’re still getting paid, they back govco unquestionably with their lockdown rules?
I spoke to a good mate last night who owns some substantial commercial property in Melbs West… he estimates he )is out of pocket well over a mil in the last 18 months with tenants unable to pay legally contracted leases… Help from Gov? Zilch!
Said mate ain’t a millionaire either, he’s similar age to me (65) and has worked his ring off to get there… these properties were to be his superannuation… Stands to lose everything unless he can get new tenants..
He is absolutely beside himself with severe depression…
And I’m sure there are thousands of similar stories Australia wide?
Better off financially, and totally swamped with work. It's actually gone nuts, I've been in the industry for 10 years and never seen it this big. My Mrs is in a similar field but not on the tools and it's the same for them, turning away work left and right.

Funnily enough, we've been trying very hard to hire people for 12 months now, and getting NOTHING. Even resorted to posting on the local Facebook groups, zero interest in both an apprenticeship or as a tradesman. Had one message, told him to call, nope.
Multiple other shops in town are also advertising heavily, a couple I know from experience NEVER put people on so it must also be crazy busy for them. There is a tonne of jobs, especially in construction right now,just Noone wants to work.

I think most people crying poor are lazy and loving the handouts too much till they can go back to complaining about how hard it is to punch tickets at the cinemas. I feel bad for teachers, and people that have a genuinely important job they now can't attend. However,if you have a nothing job, no career, and no savings, well who's to blame, really?
Obviously this isn't a dig at your mate, but his tenants. And also the government for being so shortsighted with these deferrals and tenant protection crap they bought in at the start.

In saying all that, I don't support the lockdowns. One or 2 yeah, but they're now being used to fix problems that shouldn't have occurred in the first place. Build a wall and make nsw pay for it
4 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 02:33 AM   #13339
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
And on average 420-470 Australians die each day... that's a perspective too.

You have it on good authority? While saying "most people" is technically correct, it's cold comfort to the 10,000 people dying each day globally or the 4.2M people who have died from COVID19 since the pandemic started or the 932 Australian who have died thus far. Or, for that matter, the yet to be determined longer term effects for those who don't actually die.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 07-08-2021, 03:16 AM   #13340
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

In terms of financial impact, even this forum has been impacted as I made the decision when lockdowns started in earnest last year that we wouldn't invoice the sponsors who were in place at that time until things returned to 'relative normality'. That's about $25k we are down to date.

That money is used to meet the running costs of the forum but with the sponsors and the donating members we usually run at a surplus, 90% of which went to charitable donations.

We didn't have any surplus for charitable donations last year so that's a loss to the community as a whole (we donated $10k in 2019) and actually ran at a real loss (as we will this year) which I am funding.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 07-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #13341
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
We.... actually ran at a real loss (as we will this year) which I am funding.
Hey Russ, that's very admirable of you , but I don't see why that burden should fall just to you!

Is there a way that forum members could make a one off donation to be able to help contribute towards covering the loss? I'm certainly prepared to do that to help keep the forum up and running.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
9 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #13342
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

29 new cases in Vic today. All of whom were in the community whilst infectious. Seems like it was the right call to put the state into lockdown, otherwise this outbreak would have been much more significant (keeping in mind that numbers will be likely to rise further from where they are now.)

E: that's the largest daily jump for Vic this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 07-08-2021 at 10:10 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #13343
slowsnake
Banned

Jack91....all jobs are important!....especially the man who picks up ya garbage, without him we all live in filth?
Sorry I can't copy and paste paragraphs or I would of quoted more from your post

Cheers Billy.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #13344
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Hey Russ, that's very admirable of you , but I don't see why that burden should fall just to you!

Is there a way that forum members could make a one off donation to be able to help contribute towards covering the loss? I'm certainly prepared to do that to help keep the forum up and running.
Thanks for the offer but it's probably only for the this year now and I've reduced some of the costs (like not having a test server any more) to make it easier. The DM's (like yourself) we do have are a big help in bridging the gap so a big thanks should go top them.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 07-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #13345
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thanks for the offer but it's probably only for the this year now and I've reduced some of the costs (like not having a test server any more) to make it easier. The DM's (like yourself) we do have are a big help in bridging the gap so a big thanks should go top them.
Well, the offer is always there. Sing out if you change your mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #13346
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...607e369bec3073

Geez, it was like he wanted to talk about anything other than today's figures and deaths.....
4 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 01:52 PM   #13347
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT August 6th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

308 new cases for Australia and 1 death so the CMR is 2.614%. NSW set another new daily high with 291 cases.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.903%.

The UK had a higher 31,442 cases yesterday and higher 92 deaths for a CMR of 2.165%.

A higher 135,618 new cases in the USA yesterday and lower 588 deaths sees CMR at 1.740%.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 202M, the last 1M in 1 day;
Yesterday (5/8) was the first day over 700k global cases since 14/5;
Africa passes 7M cases;
The UK passes 6M cases;

Japan (15,263);
Malaysia (20,889); and
Thailand (21,379)

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 07-08-2021 at 03:25 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #13348
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe entertaining books could be given to those in lockdown.
Such as Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.

That might relieve the agony of only having video contact with the rellies.
6 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #13349
HIPO
Al

https://www.bitchute.com/video/WChWx...qPqIt17LZdD8oY
Old 07-08-2021, 06:18 PM   #13350
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2