Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
byrnzy
Starter Motor

Default What did you buy after your Mondeo?

As I posted in another thread recently, my MA was traded in recently.

What I am curious to know is, for those that still lurk these waters after trading there Mondeo in, what was your next car? For those that are still in Mondeo's, what car would you consider next?

When I was looking, I found it quite difficult to replace the overall space of the Mondeo. A boot that could practically take anything. In the end, we decided on the CX-5. Drive-ability, features, decent motor, 5 year warranty, slightly higher ride height won out in the end.
byrnzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
asteele-xr6

Default Re: What did you buy after your Mondeo?

I hope to get a Stinger GT in a couple of years time, when the Mondeo loan is paid off and I have saved a bit. Hopefully Ford Australia have created an alternative monster by then to also consider!
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
hoich

I actually want to sell my Mondeo and get back into an XR8 as I don't drive the car much anymore due to catching public transport 5 days a week. Just need to convince the wife.

When we sold the wife's Mondeo a few years back she went to Nissan Murano as easier with the kids and only just got rid of the Murano for Kia Sorento.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
asteele-xr6

I thought about doing exactly that too - prior to getting the Mondeo... but when I sat inside, it I felt I had travelled back in time way tooo much - so had to abandon my V8 dream.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a 7-year old MB diesel wagon, which really should be replaced. I drive quite a few rentals, and the only vehicle that I would even consider as a replacement so far was, believe it or not, a Kia Sportage. The petrol is a bit gutless though but I don't even know what the engine options are.

I must look seriously next year.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #6
rxj

I traded my MC Mondeo for an MD Mondeo... I looked at the Kia Stinger but couldn’t justify the price.
2008 FG G6E Turbo
2009 SY II Territory Ghia AWD
2012 MC Mondeo Titanium Ecoboost
2018 MD Mondeo Titanium Ecoboost (Current)
rxj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
Mondaveo

Interesting thread

Even though I intend to keep my Mondeo for many years to come, I still like to ponder occasionally what late-model vehicle I would get were I looking to replace it. It seems there is very little that can compete in space stakes for family hauling, and the options diminish rapidly if like me you want a proper wagon and not an SUV.

Sadly, I'm also highly inclined against buying a new Ford motor vehicle owing to the way I was treated over Powershift. On that count Holden and VAG must also be out (a shame as the Skoda Superb would otherwise be a solid contender).

I think that leaves only the Subaru Levorg, which is a cracker of a thing but I'm afraid would be too small; or the Outback which is veering to SUV territory.

I deeply hope that Kia will bring the Optima wagon to Aus in the future, otherwise I might just be hanging on to the MC into the 2030s for lack of a viable replacement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was tempted by the Skoda Superb wagon a few years ago. But it's slower, has no more boot space and doesn't corner as well.

Sacrilege I know, but anyone tried the ZB?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:20 AM   #9
byrnzy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Interesting thread

Even though I intend to keep my Mondeo for many years to come, I still like to ponder occasionally what late-model vehicle I would get were I looking to replace it. It seems there is very little that can compete in space stakes for family hauling, and the options diminish rapidly if like me you want a proper wagon and not an SUV.

Sadly, I'm also highly inclined against buying a new Ford motor vehicle owing to the way I was treated over Powershift. On that count Holden and VAG must also be out (a shame as the Skoda Superb would otherwise be a solid contender).

I think that leaves only the Subaru Levorg, which is a cracker of a thing but I'm afraid would be too small; or the Outback which is veering to SUV territory.

I deeply hope that Kia will bring the Optima wagon to Aus in the future, otherwise I might just be hanging on to the MC into the 2030s for lack of a viable replacement!
I was in a similar position. Having 2 cars in the fleet, serious consideration was given to trade the runabout and I take the Mondy as my daily. In the end the Mondy made the choice for me.

I tried to look at the Hyundai i40 as a Wagon option, to have the salesman tell me "we don't stock them, as we cant compete with the Mazda 6 and Mondeo".

Looked at practically all the Toyota's. New Camry is nice in 3.5 or 2.5 Hybrid form but I could not buy a Taxi, Rav is dated, Kluger is just massive. I also had the impression Toyota is relying heavily on there good name. To get a car with decent features, you are practically forced to look at there high end spec'd cars. Base to mid-range seemed quite basic.

Honda CRV was on the cards for a while. They have however recently downsized the engine and paired it to a CVT, so that ruled it out.

Subaru's are nice in Outback and Levorg, but found them quite cramped for space considering there overall size.

I did not consider any cars made by Holden, Mitsubishi or Nissan due to a few reasons.

It was an eye opener how difficult it was to replace a 11 year old car purely on like to like features............
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #10
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SUVs look a bit top heavy to me, so that rules out plenty.

Coming from an LPG Falcon to a turbo diesel was a shock, but I got over it.

Next car will be either in heaven or hell, probably electric.

Mazda 6 had no auto diesel at the time, and sloped away at the back, VW too small, no Toyota wagon etc

Bring back the wagon!
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #11
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnzy View Post
I tried to look at the Hyundai i40 as a Wagon option, to have the salesman tell me "we don't stock them, as we cant compete with the Mazda 6 and Mondeo".

Looked at practically all the Toyota's. New Camry is nice in 3.5 or 2.5 Hybrid form but I could not buy a Taxi, Rav is dated, Kluger is just massive. I also had the impression Toyota is relying heavily on there good name. To get a car with decent features, you are practically forced to look at there high end spec'd cars. Base to mid-range seemed quite basic.
Is there any reason why you didn't consider getting another Mondeo? I saw that you had issues with your MA, but the MD is a much, much better car in many ways.

I only just got mine recently, so I haven't even started thinking about replacing it yet. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

byrnzy wrote : It was an eye opener how difficult it was to replace a 11 year old car purely on like to like features.........

I play this game often. My 2010 XR5 118,000kms is rather nice, goes well, ecomonical, just too big now for my needs (kids grown, moved out...). The XR5 original $44k price for the features was a big winner at the time (Mazda 6 lost out).

Todays reqts - still needs to be 3-pedal manual (rare, I know), equiv or better features as XR5, smaller than XR5, can have a towbar bolted on for those few times i need to tow our small box trailer, turbo for efficiency and that wonderful flat torque curve, able to carry that large purchase from Bunnings occasionally.
The choices = not much in hatchback or wagon. SUVs are out.
So: VW Golf R $60K, 2019 Focus ST is till coming, Levorg maybe but a ^$%%$$ CVT only (our pre-XR5 2003 Outback dual-range manual was a good package), Volvo V40 T5 $60k but auto only.

And then I start thinking what other 70s or 80s classic I could buy for my $60K (with aircon, maybe cruise), and keep the Mondeo until it expires or I expire, whichever occurs first.

Or just get that MX5 RF GT black-roof in Eternal Blue that I'm lusting after, and keep the XR5 (hey, two ''5''s in the driveway !!).
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #13
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

I got over this phenomena (next vehicle anxiety [could be a thing]) from my last vehicle. 11yrs ownership besides logbook servicing there wasn't a much else. This Mondeo has exceeded my expectations even with a stalling issue it's currently got (being addressed) and the maintenance I've had to do.

So looking forward like many have said it's hard to find a suitable replacement with as many features. This question has popped up recently and I'm looking around but I'm not keen on what I'm seeing. The MD is on the books but there's little else to add to it so far.

I'm biased to what's best for the family interest, which a light 4wd would suit (Suzuki Vitara nothing Landcruiser like). Or if we go to a two vehicle household keep the MB and I'd like to get back to motorcycle ADV riding.

Weird future after the mondeo isn't it....such an mind glitching thread.
Old 15-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #14
Skellibert

My "work car" is a Skoda Octavia Wagon - essentially a VW Passat wagon.
It is the 1.4 Turbo petrol and it goes very nicely thank you, and uses a very small amount of fuel, especially on a long run.
I seriously can't understand why anyone would buy the VW or Audi version of the same car for more money, unless you really like the look of it.
Apart from slight differences in interior and suspension settings the cars are identical in every way that matters, but the Skoda is cheaper (and of course probably a little less on resale, but that is changing too.)

And they make cooking models with the "big" engine and turbo, and there is also an all wheel drive version if that takes your fancy.

But as to the original question - my Mondeo is a 2000 model ST24, and the intention is to keep it, so there won't be a replacement.
Just as the Landcruiser is not intended to be replaced. But why would you replace a 60 series?
Skellibert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #15
byrnzy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Is there any reason why you didn't consider getting another Mondeo? I saw that you had issues with your MA, but the MD is a much, much better car in many ways.

I only just got mine recently, so I haven't even started thinking about replacing it yet. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Hi NX74205,

A little 4 letter word stopped that, its called "Wife". Over a 24 month period I tried to sell the benefits of the MD to no avail.

My job was made more difficult during this period as I did find it tough to see the cars physically. Local dealer received a MD hatch, for it to be purchased by one of the salesman as soon as it landed. Next car was weeks away. At one stage I convinced a salesman at another dealer to let us look through a car that was sitting there waiting for Telstra to pick it up. Even today it appears you can see a heap of Everest and Rangers at dealers, but not many Mondeo's.

Hence why it was decided to keep the MA till it became no longer viable.
Old 29-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #16
Jeremy J
Starter Motor

I passed my '08 MA onto my daughter after 8 trouble free years and bought a Focus in Jan 2017.
Was looking for a smaller car as family had moved on and also semi-retired. Looked at and test drove Hyundai i30, Kia Cerato, VW Polo & Golf.

Very happy with Focus. Ideal around town, parking etc. But also great on the open road & long trips.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #17
marcusturbo

After having quite a few problems with the old Mondo, I've gone and sold it and bought me a new car. Looked at quite a few different brands and models and I finally settled on a Skoda Rapid Spaceback. 1.4 TSI with 7 spd DSG.
Great little car as I didn't need anything quite so big as the Mondo. Still big enough that i can get my cycle bikes in the back.
Had the car size Friday so still getting use to it.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:40 PM   #18
bundybear75

Even with the speed sensor and dpf issues I've had, I'll would buy another Mondeo in a heart beat.

I do around 1200-1500 km per week, some country roads plus 100km of dual carriageway each way each day. I also do rotating shift work so if I'm on a night shift my wife drives the Mondeo (same commute) so sometimes it does 500km plus a day.

When the time comes (hopefully another 2 years ��) I'll look at the auctions for another ex fleet Mondeo. The other option I'm considering is a diesel Kuga or Escape for a little more ground clearance (rough rural driveway) but I'm not sure I'd fit my more than ample frame inside one...
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #19
Faolan

Ford Kuga
Passat All-track
are top of the list at this stage.
But the Merc C class diesels are nice if I stay 2wd
Faolan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2019, 11:20 PM   #20
Fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoich View Post
I actually want to sell my Mondeo and get back into an XR8 as I don't drive the car much anymore due to catching public transport 5 days a week. Just need to convince the wife.

When we sold the wife's Mondeo a few years back she went to Nissan Murano as easier with the kids and only just got rid of the Murano for Kia Sorento.
I had a MB titanium wagon. 4 years ago, sold that and bought a manual Fg Xr8. Had some fun in that and sold it a couple of weeks ago for an MD trend wagon.

With 3 kids and all the associated paraphernalia that goes with them, the wagon offers so much more versatility.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #21
manchu

I bought an 2017 Isuzu MUX after my MC mondeo wagon because the family grew so I wanted 7 seats and decent towing capability for the caravan I still haven't bought. Great 'car' in general, although a bit agricultural (which I expected).

I still have the modeo though. Mrs has the MUX as the family car and the mondeo is now mine (replaced a 2003 mazda 6). I'll drive it to it's death and then get something smaller and more fun to drive.
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #22
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

I still have the Mondeo missus has it.

But in a weird twist of fate I thought it were time to get another vehicle. My plans were get a cheap old bomb and let it do it's duties when needed. It just so happens a friend of a friend had a vehicle that he tried to repair himself and botched it (quotes given were excessive for such a simple job). In the mean time he had already bought his friends vehicle (for $12K). Sight unseen I offered $250 considering the wreckers offered $150 (then $50 after a tow were needed) and all it needed were a 'water pump' so my mate said. Oh that and some windows didn't work (electric).

I'm in the middle of fixing its four common and well known oil leaks for its model before it goes for it's RWC and rego. Including the buy price I'm $680 invested, the only non working parts:

RH/R electric window (regulator busted but the motor still works) - get it later
Side Mirror control switch (switch short circuited) - again get it later

And the vehicle a '98 BMW 318i 5spd man.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:10 AM   #23
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been thinking about a mid-size SUV as a replacement for my MB. So it's been interesting to drive a CX5 rental for the last 3 days.

The biggest issue, and probably a deal breaker, is the lack of load area - about half that of the Mondeo with the rear seat up. With the seat down, no way could we fit our tent and camping gear, and I'd struggle to fit my work stuff sometimes.

The power was good if you revved it, typical Mazda, but a bit gutless compared to the diesel MB. I suspect it would struggle fully loaded on typical hilly roads in NZ as with just me, it would often drop 2 or even 3 gears accelerating uphill.

It was the AWD model and the handling was a real surprise. Very little understeer so there must be some drive to the rear wheels, and high grip levels. It did have the typical SUV feel of big, heavy wheels on bumpy roads.

I did not like the brakes at all. Not much bite in normal driving - I nearly rear ended another car in the first 10 minutes!

Very comfortable seat and good driving position, and much better for my dodgy back than a car.

A mixed bag of electronics. Loved the HUD and the radar blindspot thingy, but the stereo was a pain to use while driving. I would love to have proper Bluetooth in the MB though.

So not really an option, but not a bad choice. Definitely better than the previous model RAV4 which is very common in rental fleets in NZ.

My son the Toyota salesman (how the hell did that happen, LOL) tells me the new RAV4 is very good. But they are expensive here, apart from the petrol 2WD model obviously intended for the rental market.

Last edited by NZ XR6; 03-08-2019 at 02:20 AM.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #24
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well we bought an MA in 2009 and kept it for 9 years (private sale in 2018). In that time the only abnormal thing that happened was a drivers seat belt buckle switch went faulty. Fixed under warranty.

In 2018 we acquired an ex Ford executive MD (see sig) and have been enjoying that for 18 months now. Put a manufacturer's extended warranty onto it that will run out in early 2022 and the plan was to look at another Ford executive car in mid 2021. Mondeo again.

But it appears that will not happen owing to Ford Oz's decision to stop importing the car (maybe cease manufacturing?).

I'll take a look at what might be available in mid 2020. There might be some Ford Exec cars coming onto the market that were put into Ford's fleet in the early half of this year that they dispose of.

Clearly we are Mondeo people, ideal size for us, and very comfortable on the open road.

If a Mondeo isn't available then probably a Skoda Octavia wagon. Two neighbours have one and they are quite happy with them.

We shall see.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #25
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I may look for a used Mondeo MD. The depreciation from new looks horrendous, which for once will work in my favour if I buy something around 3 years old. Looks like I could changeover for less than $10K.

Hopefully over the next few weeks I can fit in a test drive.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #26
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
I may look for a used Mondeo MD. The depreciation from new looks horrendous.
NZ XR6, you are quite correct.

The OZ on road new MD Titanium Wagon shows as north of $55k and yesterday there were more than 10 MY18.25 such vehicles shown as Ex Ford Exec vehicles in the $33K region with first registration dates leading up to end June 2018. That's a whopping 40% depreciation and is an indication of the Dealer purchase price for a new car.

Problem is that we have not had our car for long enough (still has 6 months of the Manufacturer's warranty to go) - But I notice at Ford's web site the Titanium Mondeo wagon is still present and can be "optioned" I didn't go into that but I would guess it is limited to dealer fitted stuff rather than factory fitted options.

Off the topic, but I discovered (accidentally) today that our car has switches for heated outboard rear seats, as I was looking for something in the rear footwell - there they are 'Hidden" behind the back edge of the oddments box. And I wonder how many owner's know there is a 240V inverter outlet down there too?

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #27
byrnzy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
I've been thinking about a mid-size SUV as a replacement for my MB. So it's been interesting to drive a CX5 rental for the last 3 days.

The biggest issue, and probably a deal breaker, is the lack of load area - about half that of the Mondeo with the rear seat up. With the seat down, no way could we fit our tent and camping gear, and I'd struggle to fit my work stuff sometimes.
After owning a CX5 now for 8 months, I still have 3 niggling complaints.
1. Boot not as big as previous car
2. 10,000 km servicing
3. 55 ltr fuel tank.

Car is using approx 9ltrs per 100km in combined driving. Have had it in the low 7's when on long highway runs. So you get to about 400 - 450kms, and I like to start to look for fuel.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #28
bundybear75

Quote:
2. 10,000 km servicing
3. 55 ltr fuel tank.

Car is using approx 9ltrs per 100km in combined driving. Have had it in the low 7's when on long highway runs. So you get to about 400 - 450kms, and I like to start to look for fuel.
Much the same with my wife's RAV. Small boot, small fuel tank and not so economical. Averages around 9.5l/100 and range around 500km. Doing a 240km per day commute, it feels like you are always filling up. Mind you, I can only get 3 trips out of my Cruiser with 138 litre tank.....
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #29
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

2. 10,000 km servicing

3. 55 ltr fuel tank.

I had to top up the tank after about 450 km to get back to Auckland. I didn't expect that, but it is only a 2 l petrol and needed a good poke sometimes to get it moving.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #30
asteele-xr6

My Mondeo Titanium is getting 7.8L/100km on highway driving - surprised that CX5 and Rav4 are as high as you have posted... although it does frustrate me that my tank is only 60L.

I had a 508GT diesel previously and that could do 1,600km on a 75litre tank.
I saved a lot of $$ on diesel fuel and great economy from it, but I spent all that I saved and whole a lot more on the extra servicing costs Peugeot demanded... :(

Hence, for the last 3 years I have been loving my Mondeo.