Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #1
deve
Starter Motor

Default Navigation route options - are they as useless as they appear?

Hi

I've got a 2012 Ford and one thing that has always puzzled me are the navigation route and driver options.

Why would you choose a fast v eco v short route? Wouldn't you just want the fasted way to reach your destination? I don't get it.

And driver - leisurely v normal v fast - so my nav system will give me an ETA if I drive like grandma driving to church on Sunday? Eh? Why?!

Yes - I use much better methods these days such as Waze or google maps but these route options have always made me curious. Were they added just to add something - anything - but with no real point?

Ta
Steve
deve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 09:57 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Navigation route options - are they as useless as they appear?

You need to think it through a bit.

The fastest route is not always the shortest as the shortest route may contain roads that have slower speeds and thus it is only shorter in distance not time. Eco routes usually bypass toll roads or (in the smarter systems) have less traffic so they could be both longer and slower.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 10:50 AM   #3
deve
Starter Motor

Yeah - I get that a shorter route may take longer to travel time wise but why would anyone wish to take longer to get to their destination whether they're taking a shorter or longer route. To save fuel? Surely that would be negligable?

Old 04-07-2022, 11:19 AM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deve View Post
Yeah - I get that a shorter route may take longer to travel time wise but why would anyone wish to take longer to get to their destination whether they're taking a shorter or longer route. To save fuel? Surely that would be negligable?
You're thinking like someone who only ever drives in the metro area.

If you live in the country and want to get from A to B you may want a change of scenery, not everyone has to get there a quick as possible.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Not necessarily. It may not make much difference over a short journey but what about an interstate trip?

From here, I have 3 options of route to get to Brisbane with the quickest being almost an hour faster than the shortest but the latter saves me almost 180 km or about $40 in fuel costs.

I probably wouldn't but some might choose the slower route to save the fuel.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2022, 07:26 PM   #6
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish there was a “No right turn across a busy main RD setting”, although it’s redundant with google maps, it will just reroute as soon as you go the opposite direction.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 05-07-2022, 09:26 AM   #7
deve
Starter Motor

Yes! Absolutely agree re “No right turn across a busy main RD setting”

Plenty of times I'm scratching my head at some of the directions my Sat Nav chooses.
This user likes this post:
Old 05-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #8
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving out in the regionals, taking the "shortest" or "quickest" route sometimes takes you onto unpaved roads. Depending on the app, it might assume you can go the legal limit on some of those unpaved roads, whereas in fact you can't i.e. massive pot holes everywhere.

Or you might be able to save 2 minutes going on unpaved roads riddled with pot holes, but is it worth it?

Always pays to look carefully on your route if you are doing road trips beyond metro.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2022, 01:22 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Driving out in the regionals, taking the "shortest" or "quickest" route sometimes takes you onto unpaved roads. Depending on the app, it might assume you can go the legal limit on some of those unpaved roads, whereas in fact you can't i.e. massive pot holes everywhere.

Or you might be able to save 2 minutes going on unpaved roads riddled with pot holes, but is it worth it?

Always pays to look carefully on your route if you are doing road trips beyond metro.
I was caught out once following a gps for the first time in a rural area, the road I was following ended up at a farm with locked gates. Me think these gps programmers don't look to see if the maps are updated.
Pays to go into your gps optional settings and do a few tweaks to minimise embarrassment when picking some routes.
Many times I have followed some roads that are lucky to be classed as goat tracks at best.
I always carry road maps for each state when travelling as you cannot beat the old system.

Cheers
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-07-2022, 05:04 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
I was caught out once following a gps for the first time in a rural area, the road I was following ended up at a farm with locked gates. Me think these gps programmers don't look to see if the maps are updated.
Pays to go into your gps optional settings and do a few tweaks to minimise embarrassment when picking some routes.
Many times I have followed some roads that are lucky to be classed as goat tracks at best.
I always carry road maps for each state when travelling as you cannot beat the old system.

Cheers
I’ve had the opposite. I remember checking google for how long it takes to get from Mudgee to Bylong. It always gave a warning that the route contains private roads and will take 1hr 50 minutes to drive. Fun fact, there are no private roads on that route and it takes 50 minutes. I have No idea where they get this data from.

I just checked it and it no longer says private roads. However it says it takes 10 minutes longer than it actually does.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post