Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Default WTF is this Pipe for??

Hi guys, i recently had a problem with my focus starting, took it to ford and got it fixed, or so they tell me...
But anyways, while goin through a routine oil check and other fluids, i noticed that this pipe running between the top right hand corner of the valve cover and into the airbox (pre-filter area) was disconnected at the valve cover. I knew where it went, because ive seen it there and always wondered WTF its for.
I did find oil secretions across the engine bay which it seems obviously came from the valve cover and piping when it was d/c, but now im wondering, should i be concerned because its been d/c and i dont know for how long and a whole load of gunk n crap could have found its way into the cams and springs.

The weird thing is also that the piping seems to go into the airbox, but pre filter... doesnt make sense....

ANy insight would be appreciated.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_0002_1.JPG (71.9 KB, 55 views)
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

most cars have that. my fiesta does aswell. its just a oil breather i believe.
Keep it connected or if u really dont like it you can get a tiny pod filter especialy for it.
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 11:50 PM   #3
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

It sucks out the oil/fuel vapour from the tappet cover.
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2005, 02:09 AM   #4
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST170ish
It sucks out the oil/fuel vapour from the tappet cover.
Oh i c....

So being not disconnected, theres no vacuum from the suction of air from the air box, so oil/fuel vapour cant be sucked out...

This better not be bad.

Tom
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
Suth
Suth

Nothing bad will happen if its disconected, but it does void the cars ADR compliance if it is not connected to the airbox. All this stuff about emission control see.
Suth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Ferris

Yeah. It's just a pollution thing. You can (as mitch pointed out) just get a cute little filter pod instead... Some performance V8 guys tend to do that, as it looks nicer having a chrome filter pod sticking out of their rocker covers, instead of a pipe.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
fordarn

Default increase performance

it also creates a slight vacuum in the engine which will help increase performance because compression is raised (so my performance mechanic said when he built my falcon v8)
fordarn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 04:41 AM   #8
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suth
Nothing bad will happen if its disconected, but it does void the cars ADR compliance if it is not connected to the airbox. All this stuff about emission control see.
Not unless you like cutting your engine life in half!!!
If these fumes are not evacuated they will be eventually absorbed by the engine oil...
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #9
Ferris

Thats true ST170ish, but if you change your oil regularly, that shouldn't be an issue.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Thats the PCV valve hose. Generally causes a vaccuum leak on older cars if its not connected but I doubt it would cause too many problems on a new car, aside from the potential to suck in some unfiltered air.

Removing it and putting a filter in place will earn you a defect BTW.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Removing it and putting a filter in place will earn you a defect BTW.
serious question, do you think many people who look at cars (police, rta or other state body) would know that its a defect not to have the valve connected up properly?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:16 PM   #12
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

I know guys in X-Series falcons that have been defected for the same thing.

You can do it, but you won't gain a great deal and should you find yourself getting the once over near a modified car show/event where the guys that do know what their on about get assigned, then you will be defected and fined $500 for not having all the nessesary emissions gear connected.

Not connected properly is one thing, putting a breather in its place is another.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 11:37 PM   #13
Suth
Suth

hey whippet, if we know to look out for it then they certainly do. not worth the hassle IMO.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:34 AM   #14
WASACL
Phat-Euro

GUYS HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU...

IT ONLY ILLEGAL IF THEY CATCH YOU!

Russ
Old 04-03-2005, 09:07 AM   #15
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suth
hey whippet, if we know to look out for it then they certainly do. not worth the hassle IMO.
oh I am not going to do it, I just had no idea what it was there for either and if it was connected or disconnected I probably wouldnt look at it a second time as I just wouldnt know if it was right or wrong.

I have this to say on illegal mods: if you do it and get caught dont whinge like a bitch becasue you knew it was illegal in the first place....much like speeding.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:37 PM   #16
Suth
Suth

Russ, your attitude to modding is great, and well documented too. Much like my insurance company not knowing about the expensive italian pedals on the focus.....