Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Barra swapped GT350 Mustang

Apologies If this has already been posed somewhere here I thought it would have, anyway I've been watching the progress of the American Youtuber Adam LZ.

his GT350 caught fire, so he got a replacement engine from Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlRmnqvT3AM
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 
Default Re: Barra swapped GT350 Mustang

There is another post in the Mustang section: GT250R Barra Swap

But its great watching. The barra sounds great in this car!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I love the episode where he goes out for the first time to give it a hit. Just ****ing himself laughing at how fast it is. "it's like a spaceship"
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
Hulsty

I love it, sounds so good too, Barras normally sound crap.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love it when they have it on the Dyno with a phone linkup with Scotty at Haltech getting tips
Old 11-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He's got a few bob and a few projects all at the same time . The Barra GT350 is one of several.

Last edited by roddy1960; 11-09-2020 at 07:11 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been watching his Barra GT 350 vids for a few weeks now..He's truly enamored of the big Aussie six and his mates are too ..there mst be at least half a dozen vids of the start to finish project . Well worth a look for anyone who hasn't seen them ... What an engine the Barra Turbo is . Watched this one just posted a day or two ago .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxRxYw_FGV4

Funny thing is the Intech/VCT has a few keen followers in America as well and done right she can see 1000 plus horses too.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #8
.:4:.
Kicking back

Its kind of funny how slapping in (i use that term loosely as parts have been chucked in) a taxi motor into a mustang in the US that makes dyno hp is so exciting. People have been making big power turbo falcons for a a long time. No one gets overly excited about that. Put a gt350r 5.2 voodoo in a falcon, that would peak more interest over here. Even if they have oil filter sealing then fire issues.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #9
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know it is a dumb question but what was the final fate of all the Barra Engine making factory?
How much of the Barra's Components was made directly by Ford and are they totally scrapped?
Like will someone else be able to copy and make the blocks for example, if Ford no longer produce them?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2020, 09:49 PM   #10
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best exhaust note I've heard on a Barra and it took a yank to do it. It's a shame his videos are so long, have been trying to follow this build
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2020, 10:33 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

got a big enough engine bay to accommodate it.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seen a few Barra conversions. Too bad they didn't get the Falcons there.

It's comparable to the 2JZ and RB26. We love all of them here.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2020, 12:18 AM   #13
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I know it is a dumb question but what was the final fate of all the Barra Engine making factory?
How much of the Barra's Components was made directly by Ford and are they totally scrapped?
Like will someone else be able to copy and make the blocks for example, if Ford no longer produce them?
Alloy billet blocks are being made in Australia
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #14
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think what makes the Barra the Barra is the ability to cope with relentless torque/ horsepower across a big rev range and the build strength to allow for longevity when upgrading is done well . As I understand it catastrophic engine failures are few and far between . And , it's a fairly uncomplicated engine to work on compared to many .

I'm guessing that because the Australian inline Ford six was a gradual evolution dating back decades and the durability has always been a key requirement is why it turned out to be a cracker of a donk in many ways . So glad it's ours and finally getting the respect it deserves overseas .
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #15
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How does it sound so good. The Barra is a pretty ordinary sounding engine I’ve always thought. This has a nice throb about it. If I had a turbo falcon I’d be doing everything I could to try to get it to sound like this. https://youtu.be/q9X-khhsY6c
Skip to 10:10 it sounds very similar to a GTR.

Last edited by FlipXW; 12-09-2020 at 09:24 AM.
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #16
QIKESP

Quote:
Sadly the casting plant is a flat paddock now.
QIKESP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #17
gkhn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: How to change Ford FG upper control arm bushes + Home made pressing tool 

Nice.
So proud to have Barra in my engine bay too
gkhn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #18
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipXW View Post
How does it sound so good. The Barra is a pretty ordinary sounding engine I’ve always thought. This has a nice throb about it. If I had a turbo falcon I’d be doing everything I could to try to get it to sound like this. https://youtu.be/q9X-khhsY6c
Skip to 10:10 it sounds very similar to a GTR.
yep ...He plays the footage of it as the V8 Voodoo and then with the new exhaust ..Until it's really revved you can barely tell the difference ...
Old 14-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp
Pretty much all tooling has been scrapped.

And no one could just copy it without Fords approval to do so. They own the IP for the engine.

Bits and pieces needed for performance upgrades like billet blocks are fine though. Because they aren't recreating the original.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #20
fnp

I believe Xtrene Ford Tuning have done a billet Barra block. I'd hate to know the cost. I think it was machined from a solid block. Beautiful piece of work.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #21
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

ive watched all the videos up to and including the first startup. Very well done documenting the process. Couldn't take my eyes away from it.
Old 26-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #22
holster
Starter Motor

I agree I’ve been looking at Barra exhaust vids for a long time. I love my FG XR6T but honestly think they have worst exhaust note. I seriously love how the Barra Mustang sounds!! I need my XR to sound like this! In one of the videos they refer to the ‘factory’ rear exhaust. If it’s just factory Mustang V8 mufflers on the rear I need to source some stat!
holster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #23
holster
Starter Motor

I agree I’ve been looking at Barra exhaust vids for a long time. I love my FG XR6T but honestly think they have worst exhaust note. I seriously love how the Barra Mustang sounds!! I need my XR to sound like this! In one of the videos they refer to the ‘factory’ rear exhaust. If it’s just factory Mustang V8 mufflers on the rear I need to source some stat!
holster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #24
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Whilst it's somewhat cool that the Barra is now getting the global recognition it deserves, it's blokes like this guy who'll contirbute to prices skyrocketing.

I recently enquired about the price of a FG Turbo motor from my local Ford wrecker. $7K for the complete motor. Those prices are insane! Even the N/A versions are now fetching prices close to quadruple figures.

I'd like to Barra swap something in the future, but I'm seeing it becoming less and less affordable as yanks are buying our Barras by the container loads
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #25
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Whilst it's somewhat cool that the Barra is now getting the global recognition it deserves, it's blokes like this guy who'll contirbute to prices skyrocketing.

I recently enquired about the price of a FG Turbo motor from my local Ford wrecker. $7K for the complete motor. Those prices are insane! Even the N/A versions are now fetching prices close to quadruple figures.

I'd like to Barra swap something in the future, but I'm seeing it becoming less and less affordable as yanks are buying our Barras by the container loads
The days of the $250 wrecker motor are slowly drying up. Yes there is a lot you can throw into one, but a stock one, regardless of if its na or turbo etc, for big power most the internals will be changed out out so youre still effectively paying for just the block and a few other bits. Its a bit extreme the new found hype around what we have known for a long time be a robust engine that can punch above its weight if modified, runs for ever, has seemingly a 200k run in period, but we associate them to a degee as taxi engines. So why 18 years later is the hype? My 12 year old fairmont is at 192k, so nearly run in, and never leaked a drop of anything, never seen a mechanic, and ive had it 10 years, its a grandpa car, but been driven like its stolen, yet now, whilst the car isnt, the engine is desirable? Barras are tall, long, heavy and take something in the realm of 7L of oil, so thats why when not stressed by stupid amounts of turboness they go for a long time, and also why with stupid amounts of turboness they take that and run with it.
It almost seem like the interwebs have run out of rb26's and 2jz's, so the australian taxi is the next thing to deplete.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #26
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
The days of the $250 wrecker motor are slowly drying up. Yes there is a lot you can throw into one, but a stock one, regardless of if its na or turbo etc, for big power most the internals will be changed out out so youre still effectively paying for just the block and a few other bits. Its a bit extreme the new found hype around what we have known for a long time be a robust engine that can punch above its weight if modified, runs for ever, has seemingly a 200k run in period, but we associate them to a degee as taxi engines. So why 18 years later is the hype? My 12 year old fairmont is at 192k, so nearly run in, and never leaked a drop of anything, never seen a mechanic, and ive had it 10 years, its a grandpa car, but been driven like its stolen, yet now, whilst the car isnt, the engine is desirable? Barras are tall, long, heavy and take something in the realm of 7L of oil, so thats why when not stressed by stupid amounts of turboness they go for a long time, and also why with stupid amounts of turboness they take that and run with it.
It almost seem like the interwebs have run out of rb26's and 2jz's, so the australian taxi is the next thing to deplete.
If you plan to rebuild then you'd be mad to get a factory turbo motor. You'd be far better off getting an N/A donk and putting the coin towards aftermarket intake and exhaust manifolds, larger turbo etc etc.

I don't think I'd plan to go too extreme with a Barra swap. The stock motors from mid-06 onwards take a fair beating. Unless you want to run 400rwkw or higher, they should handle that with just valve springs and head studs.

In any case, the Yanks have their own version of an XR6T motor in the TT Ecoboost V6. It's lighter, more technologically advanced and fits in their Mustangs so much easier. Hopefully they won't pillage all of our taxi boat anchors.
Old 27-09-2020, 08:45 PM   #27
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another common swap is see these days is putting them into Nissan Patrols.
Plenty of You Tube videos showing people going nuts in the bush in Barra Powered Patrols.
They seem to be a good match for that vehicle.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #28
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Plenty of You Tube videos showing people going nuts in the bush in Barra Powered Patrols.
And Landcruisers they have adaptors to run the 6sp auto
Old 28-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #29
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
I'm not surprised about that at all. When you see how much TB series turbo conversion kits cost, it's little wonder why many see the value in dropping a turbo Barra in instead.

The worm may turn once the Barras become less accessible. You wouldn't bother dropping in a Barra if it ended up costing the same as a TB48, rebuilt and turbo converted. They are a great engine, those Nissan I6 petrols.
Old 28-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #30
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not if it has a TB48 already in it,
330KW 1130NM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LGSpeow09c

sorry you wouldn't swap one of these for a Barra