Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
scuwp
2004 TS Territory

Default Foot jammed in Steering

Howdy, just had to jump the fence from the Territory section for a moment to ask for a bit of feedback.

I recently have been given a 2005 Mondeo sedan 2.0 AUT (Sorry thats all I know) for work. Significantly unimpressive vehicle but hey it's free. I was advised to be carefull as the steering column/linkage is exposed and you could easily get your foot caught in it when making a left turn. Apparently it has caused quite a few near misses (crashes). A bigger problem with those who have a big left foot or are really tall.

Ford deny any knowledge that this is a design problem despite the new models having a shroud around the linkage, so...

1. Has anyone heard of this problem before (nothing shows up in a search)?
2. Does anyone know if this is a reported problem that Ford should be aware of?
3. Has anyone else had any problems?

You can see the linkage in the attached photo to the left of the brake pedal. Your left foot would normally rest just to the left of it (no footrest fitted in these)

Cheers in advance. :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mondeo steering.jpg (68.3 KB, 92 views)
scuwp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
burnz
VFII SS UTE

youv'e got to be kidding.
how cheape and poorly designed is that??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to Bunnings and get some 30mm PVC pipe. Cut a length long enough to cover the exposed column linkage and then cut along the pipe long ways so your can split it and slide it over the column linkage.

This should cover the column linkage and stop your toes from getting caught.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
scuwp
2004 TS Territory

Yeah, though of that, however we have a pretty big fleet, and if we do that it is an "unauthorised" modification which voids the warranty and will not be approved by Ford (typical).
Old 09-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuwp
I recently have been given a 2005 Mondeo sedan 2.0 AUT (Sorry thats all I know) for work ... I was advised to be carefull as the steering column/linkage is exposed and you could easily get your foot caught in it when making a left turn.
Cheers in advance. :
I sat in the back of my new Mondeo the other day for the first time and noticed the steering linkage is exposed and couldn't help thinking it looked cheap and nasty. It's not something I've seen before on a car. I'll have to have a closer look tomorrow.
Katoomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
scuwp
2004 TS Territory

The new ones we see here have a nice plastic shroud over the linkage, and a proper raised footrest, so obviously there are some different cost savings depending on the market.