Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default How To Adjust Your Car Mirrors To Eliminate Blind Spots

Thought this video was interesting.

Looks like I've been adjusting my wing mirrors wrong for the last 41 years of driving, according to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2019, 05:06 AM   #2
cairns27

Default Re: How To Adjust Your Car Mirrors To Eliminate Blind Spots

I got bored half way through it, went on and on. I'd rather crash than watch that ****.

bye
cairns27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
vidak i

One of the best and simple bit of advice I have seen in a long time.
Ivan
vidak i is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidak i View Post
One of the best and simple bit of advice I have seen in a long time.
Ivan
It makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Most people adjust their mirrors so they can just see the sides of their car in the edge of the mirrors.

However, what useful purpose does this really serve if you think about it?

When was the last time you were worried about scrapping the side of your car while normally driving forwards?

Adjusting your wing mirrors outwards more, to fully see what is in the lanes next to you and in your blind spots is so much more useful in everyday driving I feel.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

After owning trucks and windowless panel vans for the last 35 years.
Well duh !

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2019, 10:48 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
It makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Most people adjust their mirrors so they can just see the sides of their car in the edge of the mirrors.

However, what useful purpose does this really serve if you think about it?
Seeing how fast a car is approaching in the lane next to you? I guess having mirrors out like this means you wont see cars until they are a lot closer to you.

It's unbelievable the amount of times I have been in the right lane going 10-20km/h faster than someone in the left lane then when I get about 10m from them they hit their indicator and change lanes instantly.
If everyone set their mirrors to the blind spot I can see that happening more often.

Why can't people turn their head. There is no blind spot in a normal car when you turn your head. I do a head check every time I change lanes. Even if I'm 99% sure there is no one next to me I'll still look. It's just a habit.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2019, 11:15 PM   #7
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Seeing how fast a car is approaching in the lane next to you? I guess having mirrors out like this means you wont see cars until they are a lot closer to you.

It's unbelievable the amount of times I have been in the right lane going 10-20km/h faster than someone in the left lane then when I get about 10m from them they hit their indicator and change lanes instantly.
If everyone set their mirrors to the blind spot I can see that happening more often.

Why can't people turn their head. There is no blind spot in a normal car when you turn your head. I do a head check every time I change lanes. Even if I'm 99% sure there is no one next to me I'll still look. It's just a habit.
I always do a 'head check' when changing lanes, as you can never trust mirrors 100%.
Also, depending on weather conditions, if a grey or black car is close in the lane beside you, it is sometimes harder to see than lighter colour cars.

I feel the two most dangerous driving tactics I see in everyday driving is;

(1) Cars that tailgate or drive too close to the car infront for the road and weather conditions (i.e. rain).

(2) Those that continuously change lanes and weave in and out of traffic.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the FPV drive days this was the second thing they taught you, the first thing was the correct seating position.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Not the most exciting video I have seen.

Let's face it, the only time we are concerned about people sitting in our blind spot is when we want to change lanes. He fails to mention this until 4:45 when he suggests we look over our shoulder. From my silly motorcycle days, this is referred to as a head check.

Well we don't have to do this now because we have a little orange light to tell us if someone is there.

Oh and on a 'make a serious contribution note' I adjust the centre mirror to see more of the left rear out through the rear window. I find this helps to identify that I have overtaken a car far enough to move back to the left. After becoming familiar with mirrors Vs reality, this then becomes a reference point - when you see the car appear in the centre mirror - giving you confidence moving back to the left.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Go have a van or ute where centre mirror view is obstructed and rely on those side mirrors settings when reverse parking in tight spots and tell me how you would fair!
The video is ok for freeway driving but nothing else, I will stick to my way which has worked over 40 years of driving.
Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #11
.:4:.
Kicking back

No rear visability in a commercial... convex mirrors. They dont fix everything, but they do work really well. Especially when the over the shoulder look gives you a nice view of all the stuff in the back not the traffic you plan to merge into. The nrma safe driving instructor (work made us all do the course because one spaz had 7 accidents in a year) attempted to call me out and realised my car was adjusted just as he was recomending. So turns out my smart attitude and not wanting to be there was for good reason.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #12
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I've heard of this before some years ago, and have tried having the outside mirrors adjusted further out like in the video, but found there was no reference to the car then to show if the mirrors are adjusted correct each time I get in the car. And motorcyclists can be hidden between the interior and external mirror images with mirrors adjusted like in the video. So I prefer adjustment with the door handle just showing. And I do a head check anyway whenever changing lanes.

Besides, convex side mirrors can distort the image making the cars appear to be further away than they really are. You cannot rely on outside mirrors. You must do head check as well whenever changing lanes. And be mindful of motorcyclists as well.

Note: My post refers to cars only, with rearward vision.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #13
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
I've heard of this before some years ago, and have tried having the outside mirrors adjusted further out like in the video, but found there was no reference to the car then to show if the mirrors are adjusted correct each time I get in the car. And motorcyclists can be hidden between the interior and external mirror images with mirrors adjusted like in the video. So I prefer adjustment with the door handle just showing. And I do a head check anyway whenever changing lanes.

Besides, convex side mirrors can distort the image making the cars appear to be further away than they really are. You cannot rely on outside mirrors. You must do head check as well whenever changing lanes. And be mindful of motorcyclists as well.

Yes mate, I always check out my surroundings, it's safer that way (just like this dog).

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post

I adjust the larger westcoast mirrors out beyond the bodies corners and the smaller convex for backing up.
My logic is the convex is a slow speed reverse and the large flat plate view faster moving blind traffic.
Panel van setup the same. If I'm unsure when reversing I get out and have a look.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:31 PM   #15
Kicking back

I like to keep the corner of the car as a reference point, but im talking about the small round servo bought sticky backed convex mirrors for further vision. I dont use one on my falcon because it has windows but on the ute i can see people on quiet scooters etc.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:26 PM   #16
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I started watching but it was so dull I fell asleep, what happened in the end.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #17
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lowndes was doing TV ads for Suncorp around 8 years ago, and covered this idea then:

Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #18
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HCzRx83lh4&t=6s

I know most people on here don't like this bloke, but this explains how to adjust your mirrors.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #19
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HCzRx83lh4&t=6s

I know most people on here don't like this bloke, but this explains how to adjust your mirrors.

I started watching this tosser waffling on but got so frustrated with his delivery and that I couldn't throw a brick at him that I had to leave the page........... what happened in the end?????????????

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #20
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
Lowndes was doing TV ads for Suncorp around 8 years ago, and covered this idea then:

Was just about to mention this ad. I've had my mirrors like that for as long as I remember. I never have to look over my shoulders to switch lanes. But my wife will not change the way she uses her mirrors. She angels them so she can see the side of the car. Each to their own I guess.

These days though with all the electronics available, people can be more oblivious but neither of our cars have the blind sport detectors but I guess eventually they will. Then all I'll need to do is look at the light and if it's not on, then just change lanes
Old 05-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #21
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

This is how to see people in your blind spot.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #22
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post

I see this little light on when they go past and they still cut in on me.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #23
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I see this little light on when they go past and they still cut in on me.
Just because a car has a light in the mirror doesnt mean the driver even looks at the mirror. It gives off a plecebo effect to some people
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #24
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Just because a car has a light in the mirror doesnt mean the driver even looks at the mirror. It gives off a plecebo effect to some people
Yep, Dumb*ss comes to mind, happens all the time on the Hume Fwy.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #25
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post

A convenient gadget. But not something I’d totally rely on.

Today’s new generation will only know how to drive cars with all of these idiot proof safety features and not know how to drive any of the classics. Like today’s hipster soy boys who can’t even drive a manual.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2019, 10:41 AM   #26
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Unfortunately, it is not possible to adjust my passenger wing mirror as described in the video.

There is a problem when it comes to the converted Right Hand Drive Mustangs we get in Australia and exported to other RHD countries.

Since the 'US driver's wing mirror', now becomes our passenger mirror, it is not designed to swing outwards far enough for drivers sitting on the other side of the car, to eliminate the blind spot.

Maybe this has been rectified in the new 2018 - 2019 models?
Can anyone with an MY18 Stang confirm this?

This is one of the known flaws or things Ford did not change in the 2015 - 2017 RHD conversions along with the handbrake and bonnet release lever being left on the passenger side along with a few other smaller things.

Ford was too lazy or it required too many issues on the production line or thought it was too costly to do so.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 08-01-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #27
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
A convenient gadget. But not something I’d totally rely on.

Today’s new generation will only know how to drive cars with all of these idiot proof safety features and not know how to drive any of the classics. Like today’s hipster soy boys who can’t even drive a manual.

My first car I bought being a EH Holden never had side mirrors, matter of fact my old XM ute never had any, still I drove around ok looking over my shoulder when I had to, as you said how would today's generation cope if they had to drive without side mirrors.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #28
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
My first car I bought being a EH Holden never had side mirrors, matter of fact my old XM ute never had any, still I drove around ok looking over my shoulder when I had to, as you said how would today's generation cope if they had to drive without side mirrors.
Ah, back in the days when seatbelts were for wimps haha umm not that I’d know, being born in 85!

But luckily my first car was only half as bad as yours, it was a ‘72 Celica and had only one side mirror. Didn’t have enough power to overtake anything though, so didn’t really need any.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #29
cairns27

I was just commenting on the quality of the video.

I've sat through hundreds of safety videos, this scores one out of ten. You never show people how to do it the incorrect way.

bye
cairns27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2019, 11:14 PM   #30
Pooka
Shapeshifter

I was told to adjust the side mirrors out to actually see your 'blind spot' on my first driving lesson when I was 17. That was almost 30 years ago now. Have been doing so ever since.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post