Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #31
Duke
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeld-Wen Falcon
I got a parking fine the other week. I was just after some advice whether to challenge it or not. I had parked but had no change to get the parking voucher so I went over the road to buy a drink and get some change, I went back over got the voucher but when I went to put it in the car, the parking ticket was already there!

I'm thinking maybe its pointless but I am so ****ed off, $25!
For $25 it's a fight with a small reward if you win - however, I would at least write a letter and see how you go, they can only say no and then you're no worse off.
Worked for me, may work for you too.
Old 29-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #32
kiwikid10
WHAP!!! POW!!! ZORK!!!

In NZ some smart....,

Had a wrongly written infirningment notice and this was his letter and response from the NZ police.

All official too.
Bodykit: Havoc
Wheels:XR8 AUII 17's
Interior: upgraded to Ghia,rebolstered seats.
Have parts just need fitting: Territory front brakes, Police issue rear brakes,Full sound system,Alpine HU/Processors,Focal speakers,Xtant amps.
kiwikid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #33
Duke
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikid10
In NZ some smart....,

Had a wrongly written infirningment notice and this was his letter and response from the NZ police.

All official too.
At least they had the sense to let it go without a fight - the wombats out here would probably take it to court.
Old 29-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #34
89 S-PACK

few years back i got a parking ticket in oakliegh.

parking in a disabled spot without a permit. (dad is in a wheelchair) i had the permit on the windscreen.
i disputed it but they wouldnt budge on it. claimed it was not displayed. but i told them i put it in the center of the windscreen, where it was easily seen too. no joy
(it is a habit of mine.. if me and dad take my car i grab the pass from his car so i can park close. i just got to remember to give it back lol)
$60ish fine... wasnt too bad

the bad part to that day was some nice person backed into my car (at the time) smashed the headlight and blinker. and kindly drove off without leaving their details.
fortunately they missed the bonnet\grille\guard and the bumper
got new parts to fix it. then got pulled up the night after cos the otherside was dim. (faded reflector in the headlight, they were both like that till i replaced the smashed one)

so in one week i blew
60 fine
100 lights- both sides
50 blinkers- both sides

210 i had to find in one week. damn i was broke that week

that was before lpg money to get to work and back
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #35
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 S-PACK
few years back i got a parking ticket in oakliegh.

parking in a disabled spot without a permit. (dad is in a wheelchair) i had the permit on the windscreen.
i disputed it but they wouldnt budge on it. claimed it was not displayed. but i told them i put it in the center of the windscreen, where it was easily seen too. no joy
(it is a habit of mine.. if me and dad take my car i grab the pass from his car so i can park close. i just got to remember to give it back lol)
$60ish fine... wasnt too bad

the bad part to that day was some nice person backed into my car (at the time) smashed the headlight and blinker. and kindly drove off without leaving their details.
fortunately they missed the bonnet\grille\guard and the bumper
got new parts to fix it. then got pulled up the night after cos the otherside was dim. (faded reflector in the headlight, they were both like that till i replaced the smashed one)

so in one week i blew
60 fine
100 lights- both sides
50 blinkers- both sides

210 i had to find in one week. damn i was broke that week

that was before lpg money to get to work and back

That is the perfect situation for a cpopper to say "You've had you're share this week son, we'll let you go this time..."

Only problem is, how do they know who is telling the truth and who isn't?
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #36
scooby

Last week I was booked for driving thru a 'No Entry' sign ( into a carpark). When I looked at the ticket it stated ' Disobey No Right Turn' . I posted off my Appeal , but it's my word against the cops I guess.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #37
89 S-PACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
That is the perfect situation for a cpopper to say "You've had you're share this week son, we'll let you go this time..."
i worked as a driver for a pizza shop in bacchus marsh. so the car was a known one....
i'd get pulled up at booze buses, no bretho no rego check nothing... all they wanted was a menu.(kept a handful in the car)even waved me through after the 2nd time going through that night. (this happened the majority of the time too)

so when they saw the faded refector. i told them its being fixed in the morning.... they let me off.
and yes it was fixed the day after lol

02 (VX) Holden Commodore Equipe series 2 S/wagon.
Manual, Lsd, Catback, Svsi lpg.
still a nice reliable upgrade from the old magna..
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 04:49 AM   #38
simpson

Default speed fine

what about this one. got done for speeding in company van. 74 in a 60 zone. had only done about 400 yards after pulling into moving traffic so didnt know i was goin that fast so there you go. the thing is the cop recorded my licence number wrong, not a few letters but totally wrong. he also put in the state section where i was born, not where my licence was issued. just for example, british driving licence, born in france so in the state section, he wrote in france. now i have 3 choices. pay the fine knowing that my licence is not on their system. challenge it and hope they dont ask me to submit my licence to correct the ticket. or do nothing and then get a bollocking off my boss when they cancel the registration on his van. they cant put points on my licence as its not an aussie one but cop said i have to change my licence to oz one. a licence is a licence in my book so not gonna change it so they get the satisfaction of giving me points. what do u guys think i should do?
mite just pay it an pay more att next time
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #39
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson
what about this one. got done for speeding in company van. 74 in a 60 zone. had only done about 400 yards after pulling into moving traffic so didnt know i was goin that fast so there you go. the thing is the cop recorded my licence number wrong, not a few letters but totally wrong. he also put in the state section where i was born, not where my licence was issued. just for example, british driving licence, born in france so in the state section, he wrote in france. now i have 3 choices. pay the fine knowing that my licence is not on their system. challenge it and hope they dont ask me to submit my licence to correct the ticket. or do nothing and then get a bollocking off my boss when they cancel the registration on his van. they cant put points on my licence as its not an aussie one but cop said i have to change my licence to oz one. a licence is a licence in my book so not gonna change it so they get the satisfaction of giving me points. what do u guys think i should do?

Challenge it, the cop stuffed up.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #40
fox76
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson
In most states and in NSW inparticular you only have 3 months on an overseas licence and then you are deemed an unlicensed driver and if caught you are charged. There are a few exemptions but I am not sure what your circumstances are. In regards to the ticket you received it's a bit of a catch 22 for you. Don't pay it and rego gets cancelled on van and then boss will nominate the driver anyway, pay it and it goes away but your out of pocket or challenge it at court and hope the Magistarte sees things your way although the indictment for speeding does not mention licence numbers only your name. In the end it is up to you and another thing to think about if you prang a car and immigration checks are done and it is established you have been in Oz for 3 months or more the insurance company will not pay any claim regardless if you are at fault or not.
fox76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #41
satria
FOXWHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_r_d
I was booked for speeding 10 kays over the limit. Yes I was speeding and I explained why to the police officer, however he refuted my reason and still gave me a ticket.

I was driving behind a bus full of school kids down at freeway which is a 110 kays. Some little moron was tearing up parts of a chair or something from the interior of the bus and throwing it out the window. My car was wacked twice. Been on a one way road I could not do anything. I kept my eye out and kept a distance. However as soon as the road split into two I hit the accelarator to over take it. Bang.... got caught by a copper right at the top of the overtaking lane. I explained it to the copper and he didnt take it. Just booked me.

I challenged the ticket, all I had to do was write a letter and I got a reply with in a month telling me the ticket has been withdrawn. I wrote that I felt like I was at risk if I remained behind this bus.
I also called the school them kids were from, had it out with the principal, and he whole hearlty accepted the $250 bill to remove the dint from my front bumper.

Takes a bit of challenging and good reason, but you can get out of fines for VALID reasons.
i love stories like this because you can stick it to all the goody two shoes out there that would say "you sped, you were caught so cop it on the chin"... nice story mate with an even better outcome!
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #42
fox76
Starter Motor

Really you should not be booked for doing 110 in a 100 zone. ADR's allow a 10% tollerance of +/- of true speed when travelling faster than 10 kph an hour. I have heard of this type of thing happening in Victoria but not so much in NSW. So it should be a 10% tollerance plus what every the topllerance of the device/instruemtn used to detect the speed. (ie if a speed camera has a 2kph tollerance then it should be 10% of the speed limit plus 2kph as a min before any photos are taken)
fox76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #43
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

For those interested, here is a link to the australian standard ADR 18/02

http://febs.reddrop.net/car/adr1802.pdf

Part of this details accuracy of speedometers, see section 18.5.1.1.2

indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 km/h, to an accuracy of ± 10 per cent..

For those of you with cars registered after July 06, then ADR 18/03 applies to you,

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/files/ADR%201803.pdf

which states that, under section 5.3

The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle. At the testspeeds specified in paragraph 5.2.5. above, there shall be the following relationshipbetween the speed displayed (V1 ) and the true speed (V2).

0 ≤ (V1 - V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 4 km/h

Basically you don't have an excuse under ADRs.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #44
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I am in the habit of stopping by the Rozelle Post Office each morning to check my PO box on the way to the office.

It's meter parking in that area. However, my stop is literally over and done with in 2 minutes. Park car outside Post Office - get out - check box - jump back in car - drive away.

About 6 months ago I came out of the Post Office to find was already being written up!!

So I haggled with the parking Nazi. He ran the usual " if you don't want to be fined, don't break the law" line, but in the end he relented and offered to discuss the matter with his supervisor. Anyway, the $70 fine still came in the mail the next week, and I paid it.

But what really got my goat about this exercise was:

(a) The parking Nazi was obviously staking out the front of the Post Office, just to catch people checking their mail,

(b) Leichhardt Council, the body that runs these meters, has a "15 minute free" policy. Most of the parking meters in that area have a "15 minute free" button, whereby you can get a ticket and stick it on your dashboard. But guess what - the parking meter right outside the Post Office, which would have more short stops than any other meter in the vicinity, doesn't have that magic button!!

So, all in all it seemed like a co-ordinated and council endorsed scam to me.

These days, I park the car, cross the road, go to a parking meter on the other side of the street with a 15 minute free button, get a ticket, go back to the car, stick the ticket on the dash, and then go and check my mail. It turns a 2 minute stop into a 4 minute one, but I'm stuffed if I'm going to pay for a 2 minute stop to check my mail.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #45
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
So, all in all it seemed like a co-ordinated and council endorsed scam to me.
Like issuing parking fines for no reason?

I parallel parked my dad's car opposite their driveway - they live in suburban Adelaide - and was booked for "Not parallel parked" :

I immediately took a photo of the car, and rang the council. The woman I spoke to said that the photo hadn't come through yet (apparently they take photos these days), but that the car was obviously not parallel parked correctly, otherwise the fine would not have issued?

Ok, I asked, in what way is it not parallel parked - the wheels were perfectly parallel to the kerb, about 5 cm from the kerb.

'There must be some other reason then... are you parked on the correct side of the street.'

'Yes. That section of road is one-way.'

'Well, you'll need to call back in a few days once we receive the photo.'

"No, you will need to call me. I'm not calling you again for an error that your staff made."

A few days later I got a phone call, advising that the senior inspector had agreed to "waive" the infringement notice.

"Waive?"

"Yes, that's right... you won't have to pay the fine."

- Obviously, she was expecting me to be happy about this...

"Why are you 'waiving' the fine... that makes it sound like you're doing me a favour. There was no infringement, hence no fine. I don't want you to waive anything... I expect the infringement notice to be expunged."

"We can't do that. There is no mechanism to expunge notices once they are issued... blah, blah, blah.... I stopped listening.

In the end, I didn't have to pay the fine, but still not happy that it was described as being 'waived'... I had done nothing wrong, so there is nothing for them to waive. :
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #46
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Just updating my situation regarding my fine incurred at Sydney Airport - (described in post #7 above)

I received an email this morning to advise that my fine has been cancelled and there will be no further correspondence in the matter.

A small win but pleasurable nonetheless.
Cheers.
Congrats to you Duke.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #47
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
For $25 it's a fight with a small reward if you win - however, I would at least write a letter and see how you go, they can only say no and then you're no worse off.
Worked for me, may work for you too.
You da man Jeff! Did you really get away with it?
Go Dukey! Sent ya an email...check ya junk mail....lol. Was from my new email address. Dont use the other ones anymore. You know my mobile number..athough that is new too
Old 19-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #48
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

I had a sticky situation. Had council, VicRoads and State Gov on the job

Wife parked car on the right side of the road. Facing the wrong way. Got a ticket.
Ok illegal, you say, fair nuff, you say. Incorrect.

Wife parked in an area which can be designated as a one way road. However, 50 metres back up the road, it's 2 way traffic. This part of the road, where the car was parked, had no sign designating it "one way", but I attested that the council did everything in it's path to actually make it a one way road. (rules and regs and dictionary meanings of "One Way")

Got the ticket, wrote to council and contested the fine, said you still have to pay it.
I said a few things, they said still have to pay it.
Did some road rules research (fancy that, I used the internet). Still thought wife was in the right.
The council recently put a block on to the road, to stop traffic coming up that road, but only traffic turning into this road, hence making it one way.
I contested "one way" road rules apply, thank you very much. They said, still have to pay.
So I wrote to State Gov, on juristiction, they said, use VicRoads road rules.
Wrote another letter to council, attesting to VicRoads make the rules, so they hereshall apply.
Stated every road rules that attested to the fact, that the car was in the right (correctly within in the law and correctly within road rules as set by VicRoads).

They didn't send back a letter of reply, because there was no return address, BS, it was on the envelope, but they wanted it on the letter. Bugger, so had to wait more weeks to get a reply.
In this time, we didn't think we'd get a reply, so by the due date, wife paid the bill. To save grace, but I still protested her innocence.

After a few more weeks, we got a reply back and a cheque in the mail.

Fancy that, they finally seen the light. Just keep fighting them. But you have to be reasonable, to make sure you do your research on rules and regs, before you batter em, otherwise, you'll have egg on your face.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 03:00 AM   #49
Octopus
Starter Motor

Default Re: Traffic infringement notice errors.

Hi, I got an infringement notice the other day. A police car actually stop me because of speeding. But I noticed that the officer write my date of birth wrong. Should I challenge it saying that this is not me? Should I just ask for a warning instead?
Can anyone give me a suggestion?
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #50
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nowdays, at least in QLD, they just send you out a new infringement notice with the correct details.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #51
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
Hi, I got an infringement notice the other day. A police car actually stop me because of speeding. But I noticed that the officer write my date of birth wrong. Should I challenge it saying that this is not me? Should I just ask for a warning instead?
Can anyone give me a suggestion?
He stopped you? What did you want him to do, race you to the next town?

If you were speeding, cop it and stop digging up 6 year old threads to ask silly questions!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #52
290v
290v

I got a parking fine for to long in the Hospital car Pk the only problem i hadn't been to the Hospital they read the Photo wrong they sent me a retraction letter, the other day at work one of our work trucks go a speeding fine we are in Adelaide the fine was for Melbourne truck never left Adelaide