Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Best 18" tyres for Mondeo

Well, I've decided to get a set of 18" Focus XR5 wheels as my dealer has these at a good price and they look better than the Mondeo XR5 wheels.

So, the question is which tyres to buy? I've done a search and there's a fair amount of support for the RE001 (Adrenalin). Any other suggestions? I don't want the road noise to increase too much over the standard 16" tyres.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Stock they come with Continentals from memory. There's Goodyear Excellence, Continental Sportcontact2 and from Memory also a Pirelli Pzero Nero in that size.

Beyond that the 17" tyres that suit BA Falcons are the right size but aren't a high enough load rating....
Old 07-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the adrenalins, for a balance of grip/wear/wet weather handling... i love them on my focus!!

I cant speak for anything else though....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

I'll be getting a set of the RE001 Adrenalin tyres in a couple of weeks. Mine came with Continentals, the Adrenalins should be replacements
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
buts44
Starter Motor

I changed from Continentals to the Adrenalins at 33000 Kms and now have 43000 on the clock. Adrenalins are great, low noise, great handling and looks like they are going to last longer than the continentals.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:22 AM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks everyone for your comments. Looks like a set of Adrenalins then. Tyres have gone up a lot in NZ with the drop in the value of our dollar - I just hope they're not too expensive.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how did these tyres go for you NZ_XR6?? are you happy with the Focus XR5 wheels??

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
warren77

I am up for a new set of tires for the front of the Mondeo.
Been reading these tire related threads quite closely.
A friend recommended www.tirerack.com
Yes it is in USD.
Yes you have to pay freight
And potentially duty
But have a look at some of the prices!
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
I am up for a new set of tires for the front of the Mondeo.
Been reading these tire related threads quite closely.
A friend recommended www.tirerack.com
Yes it is in USD.
Yes you have to pay freight
And potentially duty
But have a look at some of the prices!
i just bought wheels from the US. freight cost nearly as much as the wheels. you won't pay duty if the cost is less than AU$1000 (excluding freight)...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm starting to see a lot of Potenza RE001 on cars big and small, fast and slow everywhere... so they must be good.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:25 AM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
how did these tyres go for you NZ_XR6?? are you happy with the Focus XR5 wheels??
It's a long story - I bought 17" Zetec wheels as 18" tyres were much more expensive than 17s. But the car is now back on the original 16" wheels and tyres as it actually handles better on typical NZ country roads (bumpy, uneven, coarse chip seal)

I was very happy with the RE001 tyres though. Very good grip and steering feel on smooth roads, quiet and smooth except on coarse chip seal, and were wearing well when I took them off after 10,000 kms. I will probably buy a set of 16s before winter to replace the OEM Goodyears, which are pretty average on wet roads.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #12
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
I'm starting to see a lot of Potenza RE001 on cars big and small, fast and slow everywhere... so they must be good.
I just put 2 Re001's on my car, the last set wore pretty good so I'm sticking with them.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Well, I've decided to get a set of 18" Focus XR5 wheels as my dealer has these at a good price and they look better than the Mondeo XR5 wheels.

So, the question is which tyres to buy? I've done a search and there's a fair amount of support for the RE001 (Adrenalin). Any other suggestions? I don't want the road noise to increase too much over the standard 16" tyres.
Edit - Didn't read the whole thread
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
warren77

I discovered today, that one of my OEM Continentals has a medium fast leak - 12 hours to go flat.
Looking at the wear, it is not looking like it is worthwhile getting it fixed.
So are RE001s the best option?
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #15
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

If you get a chance, look at the Hancook Ventus V12 Evos. The old man is running those on his Mondeo 18's (they also do 225s for the focus rims). They're showing great wear, grip and very low noise.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #16
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
If you get a chance, look at the Hancook Ventus V12 Evos. The old man is running those on his Mondeo 18's (they also do 225s for the focus rims). They're showing great wear, grip and very low noise.
Definitely check these out. Some great reviews from reputable tyre testers. But in NZ they were far more expensive than the RE001!