Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
warren77

Default MA Mondeo Boot Leaking - Is this a fix?

Saw this over at Fordmondeo.org site

http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/show...hp?tid/830929/

Doing a Google for those part numbers also found this article
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/CHATTER/...PagePosition=9

but most interestingly:

Quote:
refer them to technical service bulletin
(TSB) 74/2009 dated 02 october 2009 ( date tsb was introduced )

& affects all mondeo mk4 5 door from job 1 up to build 14 march 2008

the two parts you req are as follows
1 x moulding 1614841
1 x moulding 1614872

these are now fitted as standard to the glass on current production

So anyone know if those parts are actually available in Australia?
And if so, how much?

Or is it UK only.

warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

The addition of a rubber mould/seal, as fitted to the rear screen on later MA hatches, is the fix for this issue. My understanding is that there was no separate item number for the part on its own locally - it was part of the entire rear screen.

I wish anybody luck getting Ford to acknowledge this as a problem.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
The addition of a rubber mould/seal, as fitted to the rear screen on later MA hatches, is the fix for this issue. My understanding is that there was no separate item number for the part on its own locally - it was part of the entire rear screen.

I wish anybody luck getting Ford to acknowledge this as a problem.

So, let's say that a recent hailstorm broke an ma hatch window. The replacement glass would come with the new seal?

And getting ford to acknowledge the sky is blue is hard enough!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
So, let's say that a recent hailstorm broke an ma hatch window. The replacement glass would come with the new seal?

And getting ford to acknowledge the sky is blue is hard enough!
Yes it would - as long as it is more recent spare stock. There may be some originally ordered rear screens without the seal lying around....

As for your second comment - don't I know it.

Be nice to hear a good news hailstorm story...good luck.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
warren77

Well I escaped with no hail damage.
Was speaking hypothetically. ;)
Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Zippy7

I was extremely disappointed with BOTH my dealership AND Ford Australia's inaction and denial of this issue.

For me, I decided that they won't get any more money out of me. ie. They won't get any car servicing business from me - why should we when they treat your complaints with disdain.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
ian b

Same feeling as Zippy7 for me also.

Ford CRC were completely dismissive of the issue, and the dealer I bought from was as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

The position taken was that there was a design change on later MA's so the problem on early MA's was not a defect as the car had been built to the design current at the time.

Total BS.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

I actually asked the Ford CRC rep to get his supervisor's best suit and put it in the boot. I offered to bring a bucket of water and throw it over the car and then open the hatch to see if he still thought it was working "to specification".

Ford's local stance on this issue was nothing short of poor considering forums in the UK appear to suggest that Ford over there are fixing the issue.

I now have to ring Ford CRC again as I'm getting sick and tired of diesel leaking every time I fill the tank up, even though my dealer says everything checks out fine. Considering my previous dealings will be on record, this should be great....
Old 09-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Fenno70
Starter Motor

I've got an MB and it was delivered with a boot full of water which I think was the result of some idiot not closing it properly when washing it. It has stayed dry every since.

You guys should all complain to Consumer Affairs citing that the boot seal is not performing properly i.e. it is letting water in. This means it is not of merchantable quality and should be fixed (Trade Practices Act)

Ford saying it is working to spec is ridiculous. If the spec is crap then that makes it alright? You wonder what sort of co.kheads work in companies these days.
Fenno70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

its not the boot seal, boot seal is fine.

After rain or washing the vehicle, the rear glass where it meets the boot lid retains water in a gutter.

When you raise the hatch the water runs off the glass and gutter and spills into the boot.

Its not a faulty part, rather than a design flaw.

A few of us have extensively tried to fix the problem with no luck. IMO its something us early MA owners have to put up with, fix ourselves or wait for a broken rear window to install the new window seal and gutter seals.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
r2d2

I argued about the rear window. I demonstrated between to MA's that the design had changed. There wasnt a model change in the vehicle, but a slight design change that fixed a design error. I manged to convince the ford dealer to fix the problem. As far as I am aware there is only one maybe two that managed to get this fixed.

Good Luck, but seeing the model has been out for a while now, I dont see them fixing it under warrenty.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And then there's the door mirror issue. Apparently Ford Germany has acknowledged a design fault whereby water streams across the driver's window when driving in wet weather at speed, and blocks the view of the door mirrors. However, Ford UK won't replace the door mirrors on affected cars, even though they were redesigned to stop this problem.

It is totally ridiculous that Ford won't do anything about the boot problem, given that UK owners can get this fixed.