Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
fordmondeoman

Default Xenon retrofit to mb

Gday guys,

Wanting to know if anyone has fitted xenon or bi-xenon kits to there ma-mb mondeo and if so what kit did they use and how did they find installing it
Thanks

Old 16-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Apparently all the stock wiring is good for HID.

A couple of guys in EU have sourced the HID headlight assembly and globes and plugged it all up.

Then you just need ford to activate it through IDS.

I haven't done it personally so I don't know much more about it unfortunately. There was some talk of it on www.fordmondeo.org

As for using an aftermarket kit in the stock light housing I'd jump on the www.fordxr5turbo.com forum and contact a user named 'entheos'. He has done the conversion on his focus, which is pretty much the same setup as the mondeo. He should know the wiring ins and outs.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
warren77

LRSedan why do the HIDs need to be activated in the IDS?

Guessing it is something to do with the bulb checking functionality?

Also, from my understanding, HID kits are illegal unless they are from factory. From the factory, it needs self leveling and headlight washers I thought.
Happy to be wrong - but that is the reason I haven't done it.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
fordmondeoman

yes you are right warren in europe or usa in aus they dont care so much about the headlight cleaning or self adjusting with xenon lights.
Im not sure why the car needs to be coded for hid lights either as they run the same wattage as the globes, the same resistance. so the bulb check indicator wouldnt know either way thats my understanding. although it can change a little the wattage when they fire up. Does anyone know if the fords monitors cold or hot circuits, or even both with there globe check system? suppose i could pull a globe and check
Old 17-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

If you are going to do this mod please get the projector headlights out of the Titanium or XR5 T as they work way better with xexons then the standard haligon headlights.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
LRSedan why do the HIDs need to be activated in the IDS?

Guessing it is something to do with the bulb checking functionality?

Also, from my understanding, HID kits are illegal unless they are from factory. From the factory, it needs self leveling and headlight washers I thought.
Happy to be wrong - but that is the reason I haven't done it.

Sorry Warren I should have been more clear...

This is for the retrofit of the stock ford setup. IE: Buying all genuine parts from ford/wreckers and doing the job.

You can get all the bits and just plug it all up (so they say in the EU forums?). But the IDS setting is required to tell the car you have HID not halogen. IDS is still a mystery with some ford dealers here, so make sure your local dealer is up on it.

I assume this IDS setting will activate the ballast and auto leveling features etc.

If you go aftermarket HID and fit in a conversion kit, the IDS setup wont be necessary as its just a conversion as per any normal car.

As BFiipursuit mentioned though, you really need the projector style headlight from a MB series mondeo to make sure the HID has the correct spread and cutoff to make the lights friendly for other road users. It will work with the regular halogen headlight, but for the safety of others its best to use the projector headlight casing from an MB XR5 or titanium.
Old 17-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
warren77

Ahh thanks LRSedan. That makes it a bit clearer.

I recently saw an XR5 which had come off second best in the hail storm. It was an MB model and would suggest it was a write off. Not a single panel was undamaged, the front and rear windows were smashed, as was the sunroof. Headlights were fine.
Just don't know where it would be in Perth!
Old 17-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Yeah if you could find it, you'd be laughing.

Also headlight assemblies come up on ebay uk all the time. Cheapest I've seen is 90 pounds per headlight
Old 17-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
fordmondeoman

Does anyone know if you can buy a xenon retrofit kit from ford
Old 18-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmondeoman
Does anyone know if you can buy a xenon retrofit kit from ford
I would doubt it for a couple of reasons:
1. Not a big enough market
2. The front washer kit being a PITA to install (I am guessing)
3. Wouldn't that be admitting it was a mistake not to bring them in from the first import with it in?

As someone who has issues seeing at night (yes I wear my glasses) I find the more light the better. Had it been an option when I bought mine, I would've gotten it.
Old 18-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
I would doubt it for a couple of reasons:
1. Not a big enough market
2. The front washer kit being a PITA to install (I am guessing)
3. Wouldn't that be admitting it was a mistake not to bring them in from the first import with it in?

As someone who has issues seeing at night (yes I wear my glasses) I find the more light the better. Had it been an option when I bought mine, I would've gotten it.
You can buy all the parts (for obvious reasons) but they are individual and expensive!!!.

Cheers.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
warren77

Here you go.
An ebay link
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Set-FORD-Monde...#ht_500wt_1182

Without the power supplies and bulbs.

Basically a grand Aussie plus freight.