Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default going to car shows

hi

was wondering whats best way to get just enough car skills to stop certain ones saying they hope this or that?

is there car shows around in copper coast area to join and ifso do you have to have a car. was wondering as even though am ok itd be nice to just get that bit more. thats one way to make car friends, or find someone whos got a car father or brother or bit of everything.

am ok itd just be nice to get that bit more.

do have cousins in adelaide hills but last 3 years havent been able to go up to actually stay unless someone can take you even though driving up has never been a problem as the ef was needing alot of repairs and was not upto going there without the repairs it needed and its only in last 12 months that you can start thinking about it again.

about 12 months ago the engine blew up in the ef and then got a ba ghia and its only about then you could start thinking about travelling again and now they moved on with go karts.

is that another reason why many younger people and current middle aged familys dont keep running their cars till they completely worn out or engine goes like our parents and grandparents did.

in our parents and grandparents time they used to run cars till they die or are worn out completely and if engine blew they used to think about what they want to do, and even now days that generation runs cars till they die or a couple more years whichever comes first and it seems our generation get rid of daily drivers as soon as they start costing downtime.

would it because we dont have the patience on a daily driver when we got places to go and things to do and want to get there now.

a show car or backup car number 2 would be different though.

thanks
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: going to car shows

Groundhog Day....
Peter B - CV8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
Groundhog Day....
even the second time round it still makes no sense...

so my answer is " Wibble!"
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Either put the pipe down or pass it around.

I need to get on your level.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
hi

was wondering whats best way to get just enough car skills to stop certain ones saying they hope this or that?

is there car shows around in copper coast area to join and ifso do you have to have a car. was wondering as even though am ok itd be nice to just get that bit more. thats one way to make car friends, or find someone whos got a car father or brother or bit of everything.

am ok itd just be nice to get that bit more.

do have cousins in adelaide hills but last 3 years havent been able to go up to actually stay unless someone can take you even though driving up has never been a problem as the ef was needing alot of repairs and was not upto going there without the repairs it needed and its only in last 12 months that you can start thinking about it again.

about 12 months ago the engine blew up in the ef and then got a ba ghia and its only about then you could start thinking about travelling again and now they moved on with go karts.

is that another reason why many younger people and current middle aged familys dont keep running their cars till they completely worn out or engine goes like our parents and grandparents did.

in our parents and grandparents time they used to run cars till they die or are worn out completely and if engine blew they used to think about what they want to do, and even now days that generation runs cars till they die or a couple more years whichever comes first and it seems our generation get rid of daily drivers as soon as they start costing downtime.

would it because we dont have the patience on a daily driver when we got places to go and things to do and want to get there now.

a show car or backup car number 2 would be different though.

thanks

If you are looking at making car friends you should look around your area for car clubs that you can join. Also maybe look at Men's Sheds too.

As for how long we keep modern cars there are probably a few factors. Years ago cars were more expensive than now, and much more "mechanical". The cost of replacement vs repair was higher... so people hung onto them.

Nowdays cars are cheaper to buy and more expensive to repair and the repair is harder for DIY or smaller workshops. Cars are jam packed with sensors and as the car ages they start to fail. Cars quickly become unviable to hold onto vs buy.
Old 13-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I started out with no extended family here, and nobody with rateable hand skills to share with me, so can understand a bit of the feeling that it’s hard to get your first foot down.

Realistically I think I just learned the hard way, doing things wrongly, getting ripped off time after time, walking a whole lot and slowly finding people who could do what was talked about; genuine people not scammers. It took years. Would the internet have helped? Maybe, but when you don’t know who to trust it’s possible to get sent in completely the wrong direction!
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #8
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
If you are looking at making car friends you should look around your area for car clubs that you can join. Also maybe look at Men's Sheds too.

As for how long we keep modern cars there are probably a few factors. Years ago cars were more expensive than now, and much more "mechanical". The cost of replacement vs repair was higher... so people hung onto them.

Nowdays cars are cheaper to buy and more expensive to repair and the repair is harder for DIY or smaller workshops. Cars are jam packed with sensors and as the car ages they start to fail. Cars quickly become unviable to hold onto vs buy.
Many of the older people still hang onto cars till they completely die, is it because they have more patience for things to pop up at anytime anywhere or because they didn’t have much money so had to make do or were taught that you don’t have to have latest model to have something decent or bit of everything.

Would ed sedan roof racks fit a ba sedan as those pro racks from repco have same part numbers for racks themselves just different part numbers for the mounts and have some off a ed not sure on the brand.

Think they’re rhino racks not really sure and wondered if there was a chance they may fit a ba
Old 13-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
yakcam
I drank what?

I'm starting to wonder if I've acquired a brain injury or maybe I've had a stroke
Old 13-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Many of the older people still hang onto cars till they completely die, is it because they have more patience for things to pop up at anytime anywhere or because they didn’t have much money so had to make do or were taught that you don’t have to have latest model to have something decent or bit of everything.

Would ed sedan roof racks fit a ba sedan as those pro racks from repco have same part numbers for racks themselves just different part numbers for the mounts and have some off a ed not sure on the brand.

Think they’re rhino racks not really sure and wondered if there was a chance they may fit a ba
By older I assume you mean people on a pension? Perhaps they can't afford to sell/buy so try to make use of what they have.

Can't help with the rack unfortunately.
Old 13-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
By older I assume you mean people on a pension? Perhaps they can't afford to sell/buy so try to make use of what they have.

Can't help with the rack unfortunately.
Sort of mean pensioners but also the older generation which is the current oldies
Old 13-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I think that most of us know of the challenges we face with these type of threads, so if we could refrain from making unhelpful posts it would be appreciated.
Old 13-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #13
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate you don’t need to be in a club to go to or enter car shows, to find them just do a Facebook or insta search you’ll find plenty

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #14
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
hi

thanks
You could look at a free or cheap course through Tafe in SA, you would get a chance to meet people interested in cars and learn the basics. You can then move on to more advanced courses if you need to. https://www.tafesa.edu.au/xml/course...858200283.aspx
This one is fairly simple but it is only $100.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #15
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
You could look at a free or cheap course through Tafe in SA, you would get a chance to meet people interested in cars and learn the basics. You can then move on to more advanced courses if you need to. https://www.tafesa.edu.au/xml/course...858200283.aspx
This one is fairly simple but it is only $100.
This is the best advice I’ve seen in any of these threads

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #16
Trevor 57
is now there

I am struggling here, I would love to help but . . . .

(sorry Rog)