Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Ford says it will reveal if the Mondeo wagon will make it to Australia in 2009

Ford says it will reveal if the Mondeo wagon will make it to Australia in 2009

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS 18 December 2008

FORD will announce the fate of the Mondeo wagon in Australia within the next two months, according to Ford’s recently installed vice-president of sales and marketing, Beth Donovan.

“It’s top of mind with me, because… we’re still very much interested in doing something there.

“We’ll have to wait for a couple of months (before anything can be revealed).”

Mrs Donovan revealed that the delays to get the Mondeo wagon to Australia are the result of overseas production procedures and demand for the product from other parts of the Ford world.

“It’s more (about) where they are in the plans for the program globally,” she said cryptically.

“Everybody is raising their hands and saying what they want, how they want it, where they want it…”

Mrs Donovan went on to explain that, as with a number of other desirable European Fords that are as yet unavailable in Australia, the company has conducted plenty of research to ensure that there is a large enough market for models such as the Mondeo wagon.

She said that questions like ‘Has the customer asked for it? Do we think there is a market for it? Where are the people going to come from?’ have to be satisfactorily answered before Ford is confident enough to go ahead with the car.

“I really want to be sure, because if we decide to bring it across, even if it’s just another body style we want to sell, (we don’t want) dealers walking around saying ‘Gosh, how do we sell all this stuff’”, she added.

My comment Get It here !!! if it sells in NZ why not here !!!!!!

Old 22-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
cardinalred

Given Ford has no real wagon smaller than than the Territory, you would think this is a no brainer. The Falcon wagon is now fleet only.

The Territory competes with the Holden Sportswagon from above but if you want a wagon rather than a SUV there is no real competition to the Holden. A well specced Mondeo wagon with the new diesel would offer great performance, low running costs and space that is almost the equal of the Holden.

I would be concerned if Ford only brough the Mondeo wagon out with a base LX spec as it will never appeal to user-choosers. The UK has a huge range of Mondeo models to choose from so hopefully they offer something like a UK Ghia or Titanium spec as well as the LX spec.
cardinalred is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mondeo wagon with the Duratech 3 or a little bigger would be a killer
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 03:04 AM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't seen the sales figures, but I'd say the wagon is the most popular Mondeo in NZ. Apart from the new Mazda 6, it really has no competition if you want something with decent load space.

It's only available in base spec here which is a real pain. No climate air, steel wheels with seriously ugly wheel trims, etc. But it does have all the safety features and a full size spare.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
I haven't seen the sales figures, but I'd say the wagon is the most popular Mondeo in NZ. Apart from the new Mazda 6, it really has no competition if you want something with decent load space.

It's only available in base spec here which is a real pain. No climate air, steel wheels with seriously ugly wheel trims, etc. But it does have all the safety features and a full size spare.
That's because it's a fleet hack.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Wagon line up will be good in about 18 months time...

/On Speculation

Start off with the Broady built Focus wagon, then the Mondeo wagon above that for both fleets and user chooser.... on the SUV side, they will have the KUGA(aus built) and the Territory.... Territory TX in RWD will be fleet oriented, or they may bring an even more basic version for fleets... and all Territory's likely to be available with LPG and diesel... Falcon wagon, will be goneski.

Focii and Mondeo to be in ULP or Diesel, potentially even an Mondeo XR5 specced wagon with DSG gearbox... (wouldnt that be a hoot)

/Off Speculation

Anyway, thats my 10c worth into the tin....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
That's because it's a fleet hack.
Yeah exactly. Ford have this stupid idea that fleets are the only people who buy station wagons and private buyers go for liftbacks. So you can get the liftback as base spec, Zetec or XR5 but there's only one option if you want a wagon.

I hope Ford Australia get it right, then maybe we might get higher spec wagons in NZ.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah exactly. Ford have this stupid idea that fleets are the only people who buy station wagons and private buyers go for liftbacks. So you can get the liftback as base spec, Zetec or XR5 but there's only one option if you want a wagon.

Ya preaching to the converted here mate :
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Give me a top spec Wagon with decent load space for the family and the family-stuff that needs carrying....with a 3.0T/6spd manual for me to salvage some driving enjoyment !!!
(no slush box with a mind of its' own pls, & no tippy tronics either)
AWD even better.
A real car has three pedals... and one brain (the drivers!)

*** FORD Australia ...are you listening?
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 01:18 AM   #10
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cannot see the wagon with a petrol engine? if they bring the 2.2L Turbo diesel then yes maybe a chance but IMHO Ford may be frighten that having the wagon versus the rest of the existing Mondeo range it may kill off any further model change
Q. beef up existing range with newer models with UK specs or bring wagon here and kill off LX Mondeo and just have Zetec & TDCi

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Beefing up the range is great, but then people will not buy Falcon (even less). Mondeo may become too good!
Hey, has anyone seen a Mondeo advert on TV recently? Do they even exist?
Is the marketing department on holiday, retrenched? Advertising is almost non-existent bar the $3000 cash-back for old stock blurb.
Old 22-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Beefing up the range is great, but then people will not buy Falcon (even less). Mondeo may become too good!
Hey, has anyone seen a Mondeo advert on TV recently? Do they even exist?
Is the marketing department on holiday, retrenched? Advertising is almost non-existent bar the $3000 cash-back for old stock blurb.
The advertising on this car has always been hopeless. There was one about what Mondeo can't do, and that's all I remember, and they were print. Ford isn't doing itself any favours here.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
The advertising on this car has always been hopeless. There was one about what Mondeo can't do, and that's all I remember, and they were print. Ford isn't doing itself any favours here.
It's been well advertised in NZ ("Make way for the new Mondeo"), and seems to sell in reasonable numbers here.

I guess Ford are caught between a rock and a hard place in Oz, as they want to sell more cars, but not at the expense of the Falcon. Having leased both an XR6 and a Mondeo, I know which one I prefer. The Mondeo obviously doesn't have the performance, but in every other way is a better car.

It just beats me why, when they have a superior product, they don't push it in the marketplace. I drove every Mondeo competitor, and the only other car that really compares is the new Mazda 6. The Camry in particular is a POS in comparison, yet it comfortably outsells the Mondeo. Go figure.
Old 27-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
cardinalred

Mondeo wagon on display at MIMS. Release confirmed for July 2009.
Old 27-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalred
Mondeo wagon on display at MIMS. Release confirmed for July 2009.

You know if it will come in a manual?
Old 27-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #16
cardinalred

Don't know about manual but I would doubt it. Zetec level apparently, Does Zetec hatch come in manual?
Old 27-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Only the XR5 does (in Oz).
Thanks anyway.
Old 27-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Hopefully they will bring out a diesel wagon. Zetec is only the petrol model (could be wrong).

I would look at one, but I don't want no poverty pack sales rep special.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #19
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amazing at last year MIMS they said "We will gauge interest in the wagon" maybe they are still gauging : anyhow this site that I frequent does not mention the wagon only the Ford Focus and the pictures of the manufactures stands the Ford one shows a Mondeo Hatch under the orange lights its not to say there isn't a wagon there but one would think Caradvice would have mentioned it strange!!

apstar

http://www.caradvice.com.au/24479/20...or-show-index/
Old 28-02-2009, 03:43 AM   #20
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Hopefully they will bring out a diesel wagon. Zetec is only the petrol model (could be wrong).

I would look at one, but I don't want no poverty pack sales rep special.
Zetec is just a trim level - have a look at the Ford UK website.
Old 28-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #21
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Zetec is just a trim level - have a look at the Ford UK website.
Oz spec Zetec is almost a UK spec Ghia.... TDCi has always been based on Zetec spec i believe.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #22
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Oz spec Zetec is almost a UK spec Ghia.... TDCi has always been based on Zetec spec i believe.
Yeah Oz TDCi spec is better than the diesel Mondeos in NZ. Zetec is only available as a petrol liftback here.

I think that Ford NZ have really got this badly wrong. There is only one trim spec available for diesels here, which is somewhere between UK Edge and Zetec. If I go to my local Mazda dealer, they sell the Mazda 6 wagon as 2 models - a poverty pack 2.0 and a well speced 2.5. But the Mondeo wagon as 2.0 manual, 2.0 diesel and 2.3 auto all have the same trim level. (Steel wheels, no climate air, single CD, etc.) Sure, if they want fleet sales sell a basic model. But some of us would like a wagon with a higher trim level, or maybe even the 2.5 turbo!

At least we get all of the safety features, and even a full size spare wheel.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone know the price of the wagon ? I presume around $40k plus on roads ??
Old 01-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #24
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Anyone know the price of the wagon ? I presume around $40k plus on roads ??
The liftback and the wagon are about the same price in NZ.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #25
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

If (a big if) Ford Oz release the Mondeo wagon, my 'betting money' would be on a TDCI 6spd auto.....which means I won't be buying one. I want a full manual box (i.e. three pedals), which in Mondeo-Oz-speak means XR5 guise - but that would make my dream come true. Been down this road before in 2003 - Mazda 626 wagon or Subaru Liberty 2.5 wagon - bought the Subaru....and still want a full manual today. Disregarding my 'wants', the local bean counters will go for the auto path, because that is where they see the sales in Oz. You try to buy a decent size manual wagon. Almost impossible these days.

p.s. did anyone else notice they seem to have dropped the Blue Ambition colour from XR5? My choice is now down to Ink Blue or Tango.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #26
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Quote:
p.s. did anyone else notice they seem to have dropped the Blue Ambition colour from XR5? My choice is now down to Ink Blue or Tango.
The dropped the colour early last year, pity really I love it.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #27
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If (a big if) I want a full manual box (i.e. three pedals), .
What can a manual box do what a 6 speed Auto in manual can't do, you just don't have a clutch am I missing something
used:

apstar
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 AM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
What can a manual box do what a 6 speed Auto in manual can't do, you just don't have a clutch am I missing something
used:

apstar

Some people wont buy an Auto. I know this lack of a manual has cost a sale on one Mondeo.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:06 AM   #29
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
used:

apstar
With an auto you don't have a direct connection from the engine to the wheels as the drive goes through the torque converter. So if you want full control of the power to the road, than it has to be a manual.

The Mondeo auto in Tiptronic mode is pretty good though. But it's still not quite the same as a manual.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #30
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
With an auto you don't have a direct connection from the engine to the wheels as the drive goes through the torque converter. So if you want full control of the power to the road, than it has to be a manual.

The Mondeo auto in Tiptronic mode is pretty good though. But it's still not quite the same as a manual.
While doing research prior to ordering my new Mondeo, I came across a a message in a UK forum from a guy with a Diesel Mondeo that uses it for towing a caravan. He said it was perfect with heaps of power and the only drawback was the clutch. I guess that means he either had an earlier model or they have a manual diesel in the UK. He said he burned out the clutch reversing the van. Problem with a lot of torque I guess that shouldn't be a problem with an auto. (or maybe he just can't drive )
Wazm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post