Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
whitetdci

Default Economy. who gets what

I have a MA TDCi and Just completed a return run of around 1200km on the one tank up to the far north coast and back. On the way up there with peak hour in Coffs , the usual road works north of there and some kind of traffic problem at Woolgoolga that made the Pacific highway a car park for a couple of kms, still managed around 4.8L/100KM. On the way back though we managed 4.6L. On that average you should be able to get around 1500km out of a tank. Not bad out of a big vehicle eh? If the road was flat all the way I reckon you would bet better.
So what do you drive and what do you get?

whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
JimStone

Default Re: Economy. who gets what

MC Zetec Ecoboost Powershift Hatch averaging 8.5l (820k range) weekly to/from work and around town, 6.6l (1,070k range) open road; all real world driving - ie no hyper miling.

Could do better milage if I tried, but I enjoy driving it too much for that
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
whitetdci

That is impressive mileage out of a large petrol car. I forgot to mention that I was sitting on 5 k over on cruise control most of the way. I also have left the under tray off to allow for easier oil changes, seeing I do them myself. I think this would have some sort of effect on the drag coefficient ratio and the mileage but could I really be that ****.....maybe one day lol
Old 13-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
XRT-HOWSEE
Blown FPV GS 315

I've only just picked up a MB Titanium TDCI and it is currently sitting at 6.4L and I'm stoked with it, had 3/4 tank when i filled up, i've done 450kms and it still says another 200kms until empty.

Bloody brilliant!

FPV GS 315 sedan
Black w/ Silver stripes
442rwkw
XRT-HOWSEE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRT-HOWSEE View Post
I've only just picked up a MB Titanium TDCI and it is currently sitting at 6.4L and I'm stoked with it, had 3/4 tank when i filled up, i've done 450kms and it still says another 200kms until empty.

Bloody brilliant!
Just looking at your other 3 rides. No wonder you are stoked with 6.4L/100KM. You would have been doing that at idle in your 434 rwkw beastie lol.
I suspect you are doing that mileage in city type driving? You should see that come down considerably on the open road. Again it depends how hard you pedal it. I guess that you have this as your daily drive and and the other as the weekend weapon?
Old 13-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetdci View Post
That is impressive mileage out of a large petrol car. I forgot to mention that I was sitting on 5 k over on cruise control most of the way. I also have left the under tray off to allow for easier oil changes, seeing I do them myself. I think this would have some sort of effect on the drag coefficient ratio and the mileage but could I really be that ****.....maybe one day lol
I didn't know that @n@l was a bad word and would get edited out!!! Maybe I should have used pedantic lol
Old 13-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

MC TDCI Hatch. Around town in Brissie 7.4L.
Haven't done too much out of town stuff & when I have Iv'e forgotten to reset the meter to check.
Will try to on my next jaunt out in the sticks.
Ros5co is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

dads mc titanium tdci gets 8.5 around sydney, and its a stop start nightmare of a trip. his old g6e was doing 14
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros5co View Post
MC TDCI Hatch. Around town in Brissie 7.4L.
Haven't done too much out of town stuff & when I have Iv'e forgotten to reset the meter to check.
Will try to on my next jaunt out in the sticks.
To reset the meter on the MA you use the right arrow to go across on the screen and it will show you a menu. On there it will give you options of what parameters you want reset. You can scroll down and select "all" and press the centre button and the left arrow back to your main screen. I suspect that the MC may be a little different though
Old 13-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
DEVO'S MB XR5T

I'm driving a 09 MB Mondeo XR5T, It sits at 8.5L per 100kms.... Love the thing... I have only ever driven rear wheel drives and nothing smaller then a 6....
This car has really made me rethink....
Last car was a 3v Ba V8 ute using 15L per 100kms...
DEVO'S MB XR5T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
steve289

MB tdci
combo of freeway & outer south eastern suburbs of Melb, typical consumption is 7.8.
Will be driving Melb>Canberra in mid Jan, looking forward to seeing the results of that trip.
steve289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Quote:
To reset the meter on the MA you use the right arrow to go across on the screen and it will show you a menu. On there it will give you options of what parameters you want reset. You can scroll down and select "all" and press the centre button and the left arrow back to your main screen. I suspect that the MC may be a little different though
I think so.
I have two options, firstly left arrow to go to menu then into trip computer (or whatever it's called. Can't remember at the moment).
Or alternatively & much quicker press OK button till I get to selection (L/100klm) then hold button down till reset.

Did that this morning & had a pretty good run into work with a new setting of 6.4L/100klm. Was 6.1 till I got pretty close to the office & saw it increase by .1 whilst sitting at two sets of lights which surprised me.

Vehicle just coming up to 20K on the odometer.
Ros5co is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
beenee98
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
MC Zetec Ecoboost Powershift Hatch averaging 8.5l (820k range) weekly to/from work and around town, 6.6l (1,070k range) open road; all real world driving - ie no hyper miling.

Could do better milage if I tried, but I enjoy driving it too much for that

My mc titanium ecoboost gets exactly the same mileage. Just went from melbourne to portland and back and still had 190 km range left -6.6lt per 100km. I also drove normally and overtook cars...at speed occasionally. Should also mention the car was fully loaded on the trip there.

Around town I get 8.5lt per 100km, again no special driving, using sport mode for the hell of it etc. It's one impressive engine, that's for sure.
beenee98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #14
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 2000Km round trip from Sydney to Brisbane has done a world of good to my diesel.Its very quite in the cabin,very smooth engine on idle and very responsive to throttle opening. Always said here from day 1 diesels need a good run every now and then must have done a lot of good to the DPF, fuel usage is much better even around town one important thing I found tyres love pressure and lots of it mine is 40psi saw lots of cars pulled over the side changing tyres. I'm amazed looking at cars at traffic lights with under inflated tyres

apstar

Last edited by apstar; 20-11-2012 at 12:32 AM.
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenee98 View Post
My mc titanium ecoboost gets exactly the same mileage. Just went from melbourne to portland and back and still had 190 km range left -6.6lt per 100km. I also drove normally and overtook cars...at speed occasionally. Should also mention the car was fully loaded on the trip there.

Around town I get 8.5lt per 100km, again no special driving, using sport mode for the hell of it etc. It's one impressive engine, that's for sure.
Pretty impressive mileage. I like to convert it back to old school figures now and then as I remember what my first cars were getting. Anything over 30 mpg was considered pretty good. 8.5 L is 33.2 mpg, 6.6L is almost 43 mpg
and 4.6 is 61.4 MPG. These cars are just waaaaaay more efficient than the old clunkers we used to drive!
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
whitetdci

PS what fuel are you using in the ecoboost to get those figures?
Old 20-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get 9.4L/100km. Average speed 44km. (As per display)
I do not reset this.

Another factor for my higher fuel use is that I have the A/C on 100% of the time. I do not play around with it. Set to AUTO 21 degress...

However after doing my own calculations based on Kms travelled and fuel used I work it out to be about 8.8L/100kms most times.

I only use Shell V Power 98ron.

Pretty good considering I have more power than most!!!
Old 20-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
beenee98
Starter Motor

Quote:
I'm using 98RON in it, specifically BP ultimate.
beenee98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
whitetdci

Who bothers to turn the AC off these days? Mine stays on all the time.
Old 20-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
nevetsg

Our MA TDCi hangs around 8.2 for 100% city driving depending on who is driving (the wife has a heavier foot). I am pretty happy with that.
We use Caltex Vortex Diesel because I can get 5% off plus a 4c voucher plus another 4c for buying some milk in store. $50 of fuel ends up meaning the milk is free!
I leave A/C on even if I am cruising with 4 windows down and sunroof open...
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #21
XRT-HOWSEE
Blown FPV GS 315

Quote:
Just looking at your other 3 rides. No wonder you are stoked with 6.4L/100KM. You would have been doing that at idle in your 434 rwkw beastie lol.
I suspect you are doing that mileage in city type driving? You should see that come down considerably on the open road. Again it depends how hard you pedal it. I guess that you have this as your daily drive and and the other as the weekend weapon?
Yeah they weren't exactly renowned for fuel effeciency, but they were great fun at the time. It is still sitting at 6.4L and i'm really happy with that, as i've managed over 950kms on the last two tanks with a mix of city and highway driving.

I actually sold the FPV GS as I want to buy a house, so the expensive toys had to go. I picked up my MB Titanium for $19k so i'm stoked with it. Once i've got a house and if budget allows it I'll definately look into getting another FPV.

FPV GS 315 sedan
Black w/ Silver stripes
442rwkw
XRT-HOWSEE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #22
JimStone

Quote:
95 from whichever station is handy when I need it. Climate control is on permanently, set on Auto at 23.5 deg. Has no troubles dealing with the Tropical North Queensland heat; while not quite as icy as the old AU Fairmont Ghia system, it certainly is not having any trouble cooling a hot car and holding the temp down.

Last edited by JimStone; 03-12-2012 at 04:12 PM.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #23
Mackspower

8.5L for a TDCI Titanium Hatch driving in the Sydney daily grind. A/C on, no real attention to economy driving.

I'm amazed folks are getting 6.4L out of a petrol Eco Boost. Wow. I would have though 9-10L more realistic in city driving.
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #24
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackspower View Post
8.5L for a TDCI Titanium Hatch driving in the Sydney daily grind. A/C on, no real attention to economy driving.

I'm amazed folks are getting 6.4L out of a petrol Eco Boost. Wow. I would have though 9-10L more realistic in city driving.
Our Titanium EcoBoost sits in the 9-10L region for city driving. Spends most of its life under 60km/h.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #25
bigsixtiesforme
Mercury Marauder

Our '10 Zetec Wagon 2.3 Duratech gave 950km range on a recent trip with two kids and back full of gear. Sat on 5 to 10 over on mainly Freeway / multi lane highway and a bit of up country hilly stuff thrown in.
Replaced an old Honda Odyssey the missus totalled.
First car she has ever said she loves !!
bigsixtiesforme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
Hazmatt69
Starter Motor

Our Focus is giving on average 15k/l mostly to/from work, usually 900/950 per tank = decision to say bye to the XR
Hazmatt69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #27
ian b

Currently sitting at around 8l per 100 k, mainly freeway driving M7/M5. Too many radar guns to push hard at the moment so rarely above 2500 revs.
Old 19-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #28
borntoshop666

On average Im sitting, in Sydney Traffic, at around 6.8-7l/100km. this is a mix of Peak Hour crawl and M4, M7
Going to Newcastle and Canberra, I average around 6l, and that is "very spirited" driving
Old 20-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #29
steve289

have just completed road trip of Melbourne - Canberra & return.
MB Zetec, diesel.

Stats were:
Mel-Cbr, 720 km, average 6.1, according to trip computer. A/c on 16 deg, 40 degrees outside, and cruise set at 112 km/hr.

Driving around Canberra, approx 180 km, avg increased to 6.7.

Cbr - Mel, 685 km, average was 6.35, according to fill at servo.
(Took a slightly different route home)

Overall trip average on trip computer was 6.4, over approx 1586 km's.
Car was great and a comfortable ride over such a long trip.

Last edited by steve289; 20-01-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: edit:add vehicle details
steve289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
6639andrew
Starter Motor

MA Mondeo TDCI
9.8 on recent trip from Sydney to Winton (towing a race car)
6.8 for peak hour driving from sutherland to Chatswood

Improvement on 17 I regularly saw on my previous car XR8
6639andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post