Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 03-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Exclamation I'm up for a new Torque Restrictor (yay!!!)

I've had a slight vibration on acceleration for sometime now and have kept an eye on it but it doesn't feel right letting it develop so I can pin point what it is. Often you'll see suggestions of drive shafts (or CV's) but I wanted to know first before buying anything.

Now the missus drives sedately so it's left up to me to be that little bit harder on it to clear it's bowels so to speak. This doesn't help tyre longevity mind you but it's mighty fun knowing what the ole girl can do. Well it were noticeable around 80kph accelerating to 100kph, or any low speed and hard acceleration, like the odd urgent slipping into traffic to make your target entry point.

It's like the vibration shakes the front half of the vehicle, not massive but you can't not notice it cause it's normally smooth at that point. So last weekend it were due it's 230K service and whilst it were up in the air I took advantage to go looking for the problem. Nothing visually so I finish the service and give the rear main it's usual procedure (aka clean down) the oil patch is the size of two packet of smokes nothing out of the ordinary, the lower cover isn't full of engine oil and that's a good indicator so I'm happy to leave it as that.

Whilst the floor is drying I fill the engine oil and give it a start up alls good oil pressure is up. I remember I've given no thought about the engine mounts so whilst the car is up in the air I put my foot on the brake and shift into drive......WELL!!!

Through the gap from the bonnet and the windscreen I see the engine moves way more than I had ever seen it. I get the missus to keep doing (N-D) whilst I'm looking at the top engine mounts. Sure it's rocking on those but there's no other signs of those perishing, so I get on the ground and look for the lower one and yep there's all the movement right there. I get online and find it's quite common for that lower mount (also called a Torque Restrictor) to be hit up more and weaken/fail and between the Petrol and Diesel, the Diesels torque mashes this one in particular. All this time (5yrs) its been me that's caused it to fail. I might be kinder moving forward now.

Anywho....aftermarket online sees me happily put ~$40 down to replace it FEBEST FM-CA2, how good is that, that's why the title has yay in it, it's a cheap fix. The beauty about it is it doesn't need any special setup to remove it's two bolts and its out. The engine won't drop, it doesn't need to be supported.

Whilst I'm on ebay, I decide to buy a set of clips (red) and screws for the underbody tray Moorooka Ford/Darra Ford had molested all 10 of them and left 4 (one for each corner) which weren't tight as I'd like them to be. Should have done this years ago. Oh and got two new front tyres Michelin Primacy 3 ST (finally!!!!) I've been stuck on PS3 and PS4 all this time because they're a great tyre and timing, they have been on sale when I've needed some. I'm keen to find out how they go NVH wise, so far I'm liking them.

Hope it helps someone down the track.

Last edited by cobrin; 03-04-2019 at 11:36 AM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I'm up for a new Torque Restrictor (yay!!!)

My excuse is keeping the DPF clean.

Thanks for the info.

You'll like the Primacy, which will be just as well as they last for a long time. They do feel a little soft when cornering quickly, but after some experimentation I've settled on 36 psi front and rear. Seems like a good compromise for the way I drive.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
bundybear75

Can you post a link to the item you purchased? I might invest in one as at 254000 km I'm probably near up for something similar....
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
Can you post a link to the item you purchased? I might invest in one as at 254000 km I'm probably near up for something similar....
The saga continues, I contacted the seller to confirm compatibility against my VIN (didn't answer the first time but I've just got a reply from my second contact) it's not compatible with my vehicle and they don't have anything in their catalogue for me but they did give me the OE part number.

"Here is OEM number for it: 1484961"

The hunt continues. Might have to get it from Ford, my go to online UK mob don't have the correct one either. A few UK ebay sellers might send it.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Scratch that OEM part number it's nothing to Ford AU's system. The relevant part number from Ford is:

7G916P082BA $56.24

None in Brisbane so got one out of Melb. for an extra $15 express post, now that's winning.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Well it came today and it looks like the OEM 1484961 part number is correct, I'd say that's more of a Product Location difference (EU/AU) kinda deal. Its got me thinking with the old one I might clear out the old rubber and fill with my own to make a spare or sell. I know of a similar Sikaflex product that matches the media quite nicely.

anywho...here's a pic if anyone is interested:
4 users like this post: