Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 12-03-2020, 08:25 AM   #31
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Should I buy a Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Also note there is no resale on them. I looked at trading mine a few months ago and the best offer I could get was 16k for a car that was $47k new (I didnt pay 47k) but yeh the resale on them is atrocious. You only buy one if you plan on running it till the wheels fall off it in my opinion. Mine has 3 years warranty left so I will run it for that 3 years and then hopefully sell it for 8 - 9 k with 150k on it.
This makes it such a good proposition for OP to buy a used one. The resale hurt is gone, and as long as he gets a well maintained unit (good service records, which should include trans oil specs used), it should be a good deal.
Too many people talking out their ar.... err hat about PS problems.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-03-2020, 06:02 AM   #32
Incontro

Yes absolutely.

Love mine (2.0 Ecoboost), wouldn't know what else to get. Probably another one.

As others said, a bit thirsty (especially around town), but very smooth and powerful, and a joy to drive.
Incontro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #33
mondeomatureguy

Hi mate,
well I cant tell you to buy one or not to buy one but my wife and I brought a new MC Mondeo hatchback Zetec petrol engine way back in 2012 New.

I have still got that car and its done 320,000 ks and still going strong, new water pump, new rotors, battery and one engine mount that's it.

The local Ford Dealer calls it the Freak because it has still a lot of original bits and pieces as in engine bits I mean when it goes in for a service or a transmission service.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #34
IanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Also note there is no resale on them. I looked at trading mine a few months ago and the best offer I could get was 16k for a car that was $47k new (I didnt pay 47k) but yeh the resale on them is atrocious. You only buy one if you plan on running it till the wheels fall off it in my opinion. Mine has 3 years warranty left so I will run it for that 3 years and then hopefully sell it for 8 - 9 k with 150k on it.
That was the way it used to be with the Falcons and Commodores. In 2005 I paid $17,000 at auction for an 18 month old Falcon wagon with 40,000km. That was about the going rate. New it would have been about $35,000 then. I still have it fifteen years on so that is cheap motoring especially as I have converted it to dual fuel LPG.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #35
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
DSG is another can of worms. The DSG in the Mondeo is a wet clutch model which is different from the Getrag dry clutch transmission fitted to the Focus and Fiesta which has caused so much woe. I haven't heard of any problems with the Mondeo DSG but never the less I agree with you that it isn't worth taking a chance when there are plenty other makes with reliable torque convertor transmissions. Both Toyota and Honda tried those automated dual clutch manual boxes, had trouble and dropped them. Volkswagen/Audi use them but have had a large number of failures usually just after the warranty expires. VAG are not sympathetic to the owners of failed DSG boxes outside the warranty. Hyundai/Kia are now fitting them but it is too soon to tell whether they will be reliable. Strangely enough dual clutch automated manual transmissions are supposed to be fine in Volvo and DAF trucks but I expect that they are heavy duty models.
It is odd that car reviews and manufacturers adverts only state that the transmission is automatic without saying what sort of automatic - DSG, TC or CVT. They give plenty of information about the engine.
Which Toyota/Honda had automated dual clutch gearboxes ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #36
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Not now per https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11483511 Goodbye Mondeo.
Old 31-03-2020, 10:35 PM   #37
IanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Which Toyota/Honda had automated dual clutch gearboxes ?
Some Yaris and Corollas had what Toyota called MMT which was a variant of the automated manual gearbox. This was dropped about ten years ago I think because Toyota couldn't make them reliable.
Honda fitted dual clutch automatics to some Civics prior to 2009. 8th generation ones so I am told. It was called Ishift and is a thing to avoid. Again they went back to TC boxes because of the problems.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2020, 10:55 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Some Yaris and Corollas had what Toyota called MMT which was a variant of the automated manual gearbox. This was dropped about ten years ago I think because Toyota couldn't make them reliable.
Honda fitted dual clutch automatics to some Civics prior to 2009. 8th generation ones so I am told. It was called Ishift and is a thing to avoid. Again they went back to TC boxes because of the problems.
Even their torque converter boxes were crap anyway, the ones behind the Accord Euro kept crapping out under warranty because of the 'increased torque' from the K24 over the 2L K20.

Must have been made out of meringues.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post