Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 26-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #7261
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
just saw this and thought I would share a point of view lol

I've only ever seen a free Tibet T shirt but there you go.
Could be worse we could all be living in a European capital city atm.

Seems to me the most effective way of controlling outbreaks would be the night time curfews.
Less drunken fools and antisocial behaviour, out of control parties, car hoon gatherings, robberies, daytime activities are something a little more manageable I guess.

2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #7262
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Funny, I live in said place. At this stage, it is one of the most liberal, yet draconian, lock down I've seen. People are out, cars are out, you are allowed to be out to exercise with NO time limits. 25kms is a pretty decent radius to travel in the midst of a pandemic, under "full" lock down. You can meet a friend outside. Food shops are opened for takeaway, hardware shops and some retailers are opened for click and collect, even mechanics are operational for the general public.

Yes, small retailers, that can only operate with people gathered indoors, are closed and feeling the pain, but it is a necessary evil to combat this disease. Having said that, the northern suburbs results are looking good, and will allow some easing announcements either today or tomorrow.

The media has a lot to answer for with the mental illness side of things. The hourly negativity and sometimes false and twisted narratives is contributing to the issue. In some outlets, I'd go as far as to say they are trying to "incite" unrest. IMHO.
With due respect you only commented for last week only not the whole lockdown experience.
I and my wife still cannot see any family members due to them all living in regional Victoria boundaries
As for the media to blame I won't have any of that, they report it you then digest the news and make up your own mind from whatever source, if any media uncovers what some governments try to hide, interestingly how some of state cabinet ministers were quoted relying on the media for information....what a fn joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57
we rarely go out due to my wife's illness, so whilst not forced to be home we are doing it by choice

and please don't try to tell me that suicide deaths are up coz they aren't, and yes a lot more people are seeking help with the stress of living through this, and truthfully people would seek help due to the stress of the illness regardless of being locked down or not
I was not alluding to suicide as this can already be established in ongoing statistics but was referring to many other medical mental issues that can impact on us.

Last edited by Itsme; 26-10-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 26-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #7263
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
As for the media to blame I won't have any of that, they report it you then digest the news and make up your own mind from whatever source, if any media uncovers what some governments try to hide, interestingly how some of state cabinet ministers were quoted relying on the media for information....what a fn joke.
They have a massive contribution. Don't have a problem with proper investigative pieces that "unhide" things, but when you have a large section constantly twisting the narrative, and at times putting out some pretty hateful messages, they have to have some accountability. But they won't, because....freedom....apparently. Why do we slag off countries that have heavy media control and censorship? Because it works and has a huge impact on people's minds.

I have faith in Vic. Businesses and the economy can and will be rebuilt over time. Lives lost can't. I cannot imagine what it would have been like not to have been able to attend a family member's funeral, which was what was happening when it was out of control. We cannot go through that again. There will not be a 3rd lock down. This is the last chance to get it right.

Quote:
I and my wife still cannot see any family members due to them all living in regional Victoria boundaries
Honestly I do feel for people in your position. But my cousin hasn't seen his first born child since January because the federal gov won't let him leave the country. Where is the hourly update on these scenarios?

Last edited by T3rminator; 26-10-2020 at 02:37 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #7264
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I've been happy to use that excuse to avoid my family in Sydney. I don't know how much longer I can get away with it.....but I do see your point.

I really don't believe 'Dan the Man" will lift the so called "Ring of Steel" around Melbourne until late November myself but I've been wrong before.
Otherwise NSW would have totally lifted restrictions for country Victorians.

This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #7265
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I've been happy to use that excuse to avoid my family in Sydney. I don't know how much longer I can get away with it.....but I do see your point.

I really don't believe 'Dan the Man" will lift the so called "Ring of Steel" around Melbourne until late November myself but I've been wrong before.
Otherwise NSW would have totally lifted restrictions for country Victorians.
I live in the 'border bubble' so I can go into some places in southern NSW
Old 26-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #7266
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I live in the 'border bubble' so I can go into some places in southern NSW
I didn't think Shepp was in the bubble its more than 70km from the border but I was referring to Sydney itself.

Old 26-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #7267
Trevor 57
is now there

I think they use 'as the crows fly' as the measurement. I was surprised too, but I applied for a permit and it showed us as living in the bubble and as far north as past Holbrook
Old 26-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #7268
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I think they use 'as the crows fly' as the measurement. I was surprised too, but I applied for a permit and it showed us as living in the bubble and as far north as past Holbrook
Yep just looked at the map. Shepps and Benalla is in but Violet Town Isn't ??? That doesn't make sense.

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/borde...-address-check

Old 26-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #7269
Itsme
Experienced Member

Well the figures show us that we have reached the threshold for us Melbournians to be released from lockdown restrictions and it is about time our Premier Dan do the right by us and let us move forward.
He and the government has had time to learn from their mistakes and get their act together for the sake of Victoria.
Cheers.
Old 26-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #7270
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
You made me smile reading this as I have absolutely nothing to do with my brothers and sisters for over 20 years, just tell them what you think.
Life is a bitch at times!
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #7271
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

So… November 8th is the present carrot for Melbournians. I hope it is upheld.
Old 26-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #7272
Trevor 57
is now there

I have only heard a little bit of what he said, but it appears to have opened things up a bit
Old 26-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #7273
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
just saw this and thought I would share a point of view lol

He used to be known as "Peter". Now known as "Peta".
This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 05:27 PM   #7274
Trevor 57
is now there

All being well, one Victoria after November 8th
Old 26-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #7275
Trevor 57
is now there

Doesn't look much, if anything changes for regional Victoria
Old 26-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #7276
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Going by WHO Victoria should not be in lockdown
Ah yes, The WHO. Is that the same organisation that in January stated "Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"??

Funny isn't it. The same people that blamed the WHO earlier in the year, now saying we should be listening to the WHO!
6 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #7277
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have only heard a little bit of what he said, but it appears to have opened things up a bit
It is a bigger opening than I had thought the gov would take. Includes all retail and hospitality. I thought they may have done 50%, wait a few weeks, then another 50%, but its a big bang albeit with restrictions. Excellent work. Mark my words, if we can keep things opened for a few months with no uncontrollable outbreaks, other countries will start following our model. Especially if we can get some crowds for boxing day and have Christmas somewhat opened. Snipets of Dandrews pressers are already being shown on BBC UK.

But there is no reprieve from the arm chair snipers. Not even for the first 5 minutes. Straight into slagging off the contact tracers, and allowing shops to use pen and paper registration system. One pointed at NSW's gold standard of automation....blatant lie as a lot of shops in NSW still use pen and paper. Anyhow, no use being upset at a TV screen, time to enjoy the sun shine.
Old 26-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #7278
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Victoria coronavirus: Daniel Andrews says Melbourne's restrictions to ease from Wednesday

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...-says/12813254

You've got to be happy about that!

2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 06:14 PM   #7279
Itsme
Experienced Member

Tickford I never mentioned WHO in any of my earlier posts but if you think they are not reputable then who is?

Good on the right wing media as they may have shamed Danny boy in easing of restrictions.

Last edited by Itsme; 26-10-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 26-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #7280
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Old 26-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #7281
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is a bigger opening than I had thought the gov would take. Includes all retail and hospitality. I thought they may have done 50%, wait a few weeks, then another 50%, but its a big bang albeit with restrictions. Excellent work. Mark my words, if we can keep things opened for a few months with no uncontrollable outbreaks, other countries will start following our model. Especially if we can get some crowds for boxing day and have Christmas somewhat opened. Snipets of Dandrews pressers are already being shown on BBC UK.

But there is no reprieve from the arm chair snipers. Not even for the first 5 minutes. Straight into slagging off the contact tracers, and allowing shops to use pen and paper registration system. One pointed at NSW's gold standard of automation....blatant lie as a lot of shops in NSW still use pen and paper. Anyhow, no use being upset at a TV screen, time to enjoy the sun shine.
Its funny on here most of the armchair slagging have been from your side from the likes of you,trev,tickford and admin etc.what are your thoughts on Gladys. Me personally she should go but that is being objective not 1 eyed
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 07:55 PM   #7282
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Its funny on here most of the armchair slagging have been from your side from the likes of you,trev,tickford and admin etc.what are your thoughts on Gladys. Me personally she should go but that is being objective not 1 eyed
I loved how Gladys kept bashing QLD for their border stance, then slammed the Vic border shut... and made up some bull **** excuse that she 100% believed....

Plus she is a champion shredder...
Old 26-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #7283
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Victoria coronavirus: Daniel Andrews says Melbourne's restrictions to ease from Wednesday

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...-says/12813254

You've got to be happy about that!

GET ON THE BEERS!
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #7284
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Plus she is a champion shredder...
You’re only guilty if you’re caught!

https://youtu.be/UZ9n1x9YjjY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
4 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #7285
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I make no apologies for slagging on these "journalist", that twist and distort facts, then publish it on mediums that get broadcast to millions of Australians. And, it appears that they are doing it for political reasons and not the benefit of Victorians.

Gladys, on the surface it doesnt look good. She'll get pushed out if someone else is gunning for her job, otherwise it'll be a free pass. Where are the investigative journalists digging into the issue? Imagine if the Vic gov had shredded paperwork and permanently deleted emails . Or had evidence run over by a tractor. Instead, we are reading sob stories about her not being able to fall in love. WTF?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 10:00 PM   #7286
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I make no apologies for slagging on these "journalist", that twist and distort facts, then publish it on mediums that get broadcast to millions of Australians. And, it appears that they are doing it for political reasons and not the benefit of Victorians.
To be fair all news media whether print, digital or TV will be bias who ever it is and to be quite honest you or anyone can slag much as you like, news media is no different to our dirty politics that get played every day.
I have my preferences and that is what matters to me.
Cheers.
Old 26-10-2020, 11:29 PM   #7287
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
A couple of things that this pandemic has taught us

* The States have more powers than most Australians thought they did.
* ScoMo & Co can bully, recruit others to bully, gob-off all they want but they are pretty powerless when it comes to State affairs
* The majority of the media are just headline grabbing scum-bags who will do anything to get you to watch/read their bull-****
* Media employ idiots who wouldn't know a good story if it bit them on the ****, they are too busy being personally involved and having their say
Commonwealth Gov controls $$ or large part of it. That is real power.

Cheers, George
3 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2020, 06:11 AM   #7288
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
a bigger picture point of view. The Federal Liberal Party is controlled by the NSW Liberal Party, any Liberal PM's are not game to ****-bag NSW Liberal Party coz there will be consequences. All recent Liberal PM's have come from NSW (for obvious reasons) - and people go crook at Labor for being 'factional'

So, in ScoMo & Co's eyes Gladys can do no wrong (for obvious reasons). Haven't you noticed that other Liberal led States are actually doing better than NSW but ScoMo & Co NEVER EVER mention them, let alone touting them as 'Gold Standard'

It is all just a farce

If Barry O'Farrell was gracious enough to step aside over a bottle of wine, Gladys should be well and truly gone
Old 27-10-2020, 06:14 AM   #7289
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
To be fair all news media whether print, digital or TV will be bias who ever it is and to be quite honest you or anyone can slag much as you like, news media is no different to our dirty politics that get played every day.
I have my preferences and that is what matters to me.
Cheers.
The MSM will never bag out Gladys coz she is one of Ruperts favourites
Old 27-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #7290
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by George V View Post
Commonwealth Gov controls $$ or large part of it. That is real power.

Cheers, George
the only reason they collect taxes to make them 'wealthy' is coz the States let them - i.e. GST. Howard would not have got the GST up if all States and Territories didn't agree - fact!!!!

This is the same Government who criticised its predecessor for 'uncontrollable debt' but have actually nearly tripled the debt since they have been in power. Ask them where they got the money to prop up up the JobKeep and JobSeeker, China would a word that could be thrown in the mix
Closed Thread