Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #31
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Took the tdci for a drive and as expected it was fantastic, will take a bit of getting used to as the drive is a lot different to a petrol car but I am impressed, the interior plastics are very average but for the price there about right. Hopefully have it next week.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #32
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
Took the tdci for a drive and as expected it was fantastic, will take a bit of getting used to as the drive is a lot different to a petrol car but I am impressed, the interior plastics are very average but for the price there about right. Hopefully have it next week.
Glad you liked it, yes it is quite different from a petrol I'll need to get used to it as well. Which dealer did you go to for a test drive?
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #33
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are the comparasins between the turbo deisel and the XR5?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #34
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Etheridge Ford in Ringwood, vic. They had a grey one. I have not driven the xr5 so cant comment but the interior on the xr5 is miles in front of the lx and even the ghia.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #35
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Well it turns out I may have to wait another week, they're still waiting on the parts I ordered :(

Does anyone have or have seen a bonnet protector fitted to an LS Focus?

I ordered one because I do a lot of motorway driving, but what I would really like to know is if they look bad. It looks pretty crap on the Ford website with all those black clips...
Old 05-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #36
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Isn't there some stick on film you can get nowadays that protects from stone chips, but looks stock?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 01:15 AM   #37
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Well it turns out I may have to wait another week, they're still waiting on the parts I ordered :(

Does anyone have or have seen a bonnet protector fitted to an LS Focus?

I ordered one because I do a lot of motorway driving, but what I would really like to know is if they look bad. It looks pretty crap on the Ford website with all those black clips...
Theres a colour coded one as well as the clear one?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 AM   #38
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1137384169661&pagename=Page&c=DF YPage
Focus Specifications and Options

TDCi - 100kw/4000rpm, 320Nm/2000RPM
XR5 - 166kw/6000rpm, 320Nm/1600 to 4000RPM
Old 06-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #39
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Theres a colour coded one as well as the clear one?
Well regardless it should look better than a stonechipped nose at least, well I hope... :P

I was also thinking about adding some more options after I get it such as scuff plates, sports gear knob and the alloy handbrake lever. Do you guys think these items are worth it? I was hoping I could fit them myself.

Bigger wheels will have to wait until later, so hopefully the stock 16"ers won't look too bad.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #40
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went with all of the above purely because they interior is quite bland without them, these are all xr5 standard equipment so they make it look that little bit nicer, just have to work out where to get the alloy door inserts and handles now All of the items are a bit pricey but for an extra 300 I think its worth it.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #41
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1137384169661&pagename=Page&c=DF YPage
Focus Specifications and Options

TDCi - 100kw/4000rpm, 320Nm/2000RPM
XR5 - 166kw/6000rpm, 320Nm/1600 to 4000RPM
Thanks. I wonder how good both models are out side by side. I like the XR5, looks good and definatley makes a statement. The TDCi has fantastic economy. I wonder how well that stack up

Quote:
I went with all of the above purely because they interior is quite bland without them, these are all xr5 standard equipment so they make it look that little bit nicer, just have to work out where to get the alloy door inserts and handles now All of the items are a bit pricey but for an extra 300 I think its worth it.
So you finally sold the AU. Now your in a TDCi?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #42
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally side by side I think the XR5 has it hands down, the exterior looks better and the interior is how it should look (kind of fairmont ghia v xt style) however I just could not gather the extra cash to pay for it, the lease company was going to shaft me on one. The diesel was a good balance of both power and looks.

Quote:
Thanks. I wonder how good both models are out side by side. I like the XR5, looks good and definatley makes a statement. The TDCi has fantastic economy. I wonder how well that stack up
So you finally sold the AU. Now your in a TDCi?
Yep and selling the AU in hindsight was a good financial idea but I still look at XRs go by and want to get back in one, hopefully the next car will be along the same line XR8, v6 turbo etc
Old 06-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #43
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:

I was also thinking about adding some more options after I get it such as scuff plates, sports gear knob and the alloy handbrake lever. Do you guys think these items are worth it? I was hoping I could fit them myself.
Scuff plates - Yes
Sports Gear Knob - No
Alloy Handbrake Lever - No

I bought a Momo gear knob off Ebay off the actual distributor in Oz...I think it was about $140 for a genuine Momo gear knob and REAL Leather Gear Boot - Its a little more expensive than the stock Ford one, but it looks tonnes better!!

If you want details on the name of the ebay store pm me.

Alloy Handbrake Lever - same as above, ebay is your friend. European-Parts also have a couple nice ones.

Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 06-08-2007 at 10:21 PM.
#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #44
Mansal

I like that Momo gear knob!

I should be picking up my TDCi this Wednesday (can't wait! ). Got the scuff plates, gear knob, mats, safety pack (the safety pack is part of a current Ford promo). Black Saphire

I drive from Melb <--> Ballarat for work every day so I need something economical.

Will post photos, economy data, subjective 'how-does-it-feel' data very soon.

BTW: Long time reader (BA Monty, EBII Wagon, Focus TDI..coming soon), first time poster....
<edit>...second time poster actually....gotta update my profile...</edit>
Mansal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #45
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#

That is still the BEST looking gearknob and gaitor combination on the Forums!!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #46
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
That is still the BEST looking gearknob and gaitor combination on the Forums!!!
Why thankyou

There are 2 variations: style is called Momo Phantom

Like most Momo Gear knobs, they're also universal fit
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #47
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansal
I like that Momo gear knob!

I should be picking up my TDCi this Wednesday (can't wait! ). Got the scuff plates, gear knob, mats, safety pack (the safety pack is part of a current Ford promo). Black Saphire

I drive from Melb <--> Ballarat for work every day so I need something economical.

Will post photos, economy data, subjective 'how-does-it-feel' data very soon.

BTW: Long time reader (BA Monty, EBII Wagon, Focus TDI..coming soon), first time poster....
<edit>...second time poster actually....gotta update my profile...</edit>
How far is your daily commute? I'm a long distance traveller as well.

As for the gear knobs, they look nice. If I were to get one and a handbrake lever are they hard to fit at all? I assume you'd just screw the knob on and somehow clip on the handbrake cover.

Or should I get the dealer to fit them?

Car should be coming late this week hopefully, it was too late to add more options to the order so I'm going to add as I go. Tint will come first
Old 07-08-2007, 12:09 AM   #48
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

I had a gear knob like that, I threw it away, looked like shat.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 12:42 AM   #49
BlackLS

Quote:
You can get a flash tune to bring the TDCi to 130kw and 400Nm standard I think.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #50
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you know does this or where you can get this done?

Quote:
You can get a flash tune to bring the TDCi to 130kw and 400Nm standard I think.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #51
BlackLS

Pretty well documented on FFOC etc.

There are flash boxes you can order that do 119Kw and 390Nm and thats a very safe tune.
http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=614
There are others by Dreamscience as well as other Uk chip sites.

Capa have contacts with SCT and Dreamscience and had a Focus (2.0L petrol) as a flash mule before. They could push the extra KW out of it with a custom tune.

Last edited by BlackLS; 07-08-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #52
Mansal

Quote:
How far is your daily commute? I'm a long distance traveller as well.

As for the gear knobs, they look nice. If I were to get one and a handbrake lever are they hard to fit at all? I assume you'd just screw the knob on and somehow clip on the handbrake cover.

Or should I get the dealer to fit them?

Car should be coming late this week hopefully, it was too late to add more options to the order so I'm going to add as I go. Tint will come first
My commute is ~250km per day * 4 so 1000km per week.

Both the Ford-accessory gear knobs and handbrake levers are available as self-install accessories (ie: "Accessory can be installed at any time"). I ordered mine with the sports gear knob only (forgot to order the handbrake cover, will add it if I later if I like it).

Yeah mine should be ready tomorrow arvo (I'm getting it tinted & glazed as well).

The one regret I have about my order was that I actually purchased one of the display stock models (the dealer apparently ordered 3 silver and 1 black for their display stock, so I took the black one!) so I wasn't able to order one with the 6-disc CD player (as that's a factory-installed option). Looks like I'll be using the standard mp3 input
Old 07-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #53
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Wow that's some serious mileage, I do 850km per week (170km x 5) driving 2 hours a day. I reckon it's great to find a car that is really economical but goes hard and is fun to drive as well. Thanks for the accessory info

I'm only getting a single-CD as well but does it really matter when you can plug an iPod in?

The reason mine is taking so long is because they're waiting for the parts to come in, which are a bodykit and body side mouldings plus I'm getting the rear spoiler painted. Be sure to post some pics when you pick it up!!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #54
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Personally side by side I think the XR5 has it hands down, the exterior looks better and the interior is how it should look (kind of fairmont ghia v xt style) however I just could not gather the extra cash to pay for it, the lease company was going to shaft me on one. The diesel was a good balance of both power and looks.

Yep and selling the AU in hindsight was a good financial idea but I still look at XRs go by and want to get back in one, hopefully the next car will be along the same line XR8, v6 turbo etc
I still have my AU, but it's lost it's shine a little. I've considered many times at getting rid of it. Eventhou I don't drive it's lots, it still handles well and goes great. Only 87,000 on the clock, so it still feels good.

Give a few more years and the later AU xr's will do well priced.

Thats great news then. Very keen to see the new range of focus and hearing feedback is good. Hope you enjoy the new car.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #55
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think the biggest difference is the XR5 is built in Europe and the TDCi is built in South Africa. Build quality on the XR5 will be waaaay better.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #56
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
I think the biggest difference is the XR5 is built in Europe and the TDCi is built in South Africa. Build quality on the XR5 will be waaaay better.
I really show read up a little more. i know the XR5 was from germany, but assumed the TDCi was from there as well.

I do love the look of those XR5's. Seen 2 in the past few days. Not many in Canberra. Saw an Orange one and Black one. Nice cars.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #57
Tiges
Keeping Wombats Dead

Quote:
I really show read up a little more. i know the XR5 was from germany, but assumed the TDCi was from there as well.

I do love the look of those XR5's. Seen 2 in the past few days. Not many in Canberra. Saw an Orange one and Black one. Nice cars.
Definatly from South Africa, Bucky. They come in to dealerships with the stickers from the ship still on them.

There's not many XR5's at all in canberra. I know there's at least 8 of them

2003 BA XR6 Turbo-White
210.4rwkw(stock)

Last edited by Tiges; 07-08-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Tiges is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #58
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiges
Definatly from South Africa, Bucky. They come in to dealerships with the stickers from the ship still on them.

There's not many XR5's at all in canberra. I know there's at least 8 of them
So they have them at McGraths. Might have to drop in and have a look that model.

I think since they were released, I've seen a total of 5 in Canberra. 4 of those were in the last week :

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #59
melbzetec

You know you want one!!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #60
Mansal

Quote:
Wow that's some serious mileage, I do 850km per week (170km x 5) driving 2 hours a day. I reckon it's great to find a car that is really economical but goes hard and is fun to drive as well. Thanks for the accessory info

I'm only getting a single-CD as well but does it really matter when you can plug an iPod in?

The reason mine is taking so long is because they're waiting for the parts to come in, which are a bodykit and body side mouldings plus I'm getting the rear spoiler painted. Be sure to post some pics when you pick it up!!
You're welcome for the info. ;)

Yeah I agree - gotta have a car you can afford (and enjoy) to drive for work. I've done this commute for four years now - I've gotten to the point where I really need a good, reliable car that won't have me stranded half way up the Western Hwy (used to own XF Falcon, KF Laser, now EBII Wagon)... and as much as I enjoy driving my BA Fairmont Ghia (220 v8), I don't like the $38/day in petrol it costs me (not to mention wear & tear).

...I'm now expecting to pickup the car on Friday (getting the $$ finalized always dampens the fun!).

Oh FYI - organising insurance for the TDCi is going to be fun - not many insurers have the new model listed on their online forms, so you may end up having to arrrange insurance over the phone (It's gotta be "Focus TDCi").