Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default LW Focus - any info?

Dad is looking to buy one of these, he saw one at a dealer today and is interested in it. We know the tech specs etc but does anyone have any links to any issues with them, things along those lines? I know it's very early in the piece but i see virtually no info on them here so far.

Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LW Focus - any info?

Have a look at some of the US Forums like Focaljet or Focusfanatics. They've had the new Focus in North America for a couple of months now.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

cheers will do
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

There's this one from Focus Fanatics US -

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...d.php?t=260219
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ

wow, now i know what the Ford US translation for Ford AU's "They all do that" line is.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
wow, now i know what the Ford US translation for Ford AU's "They all do that" line is.
See, it's not only in America after all
Old 04-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting, that what appears to be a customer service person on those forums, is responding, and offering to help...... Might be a token attempt, but, at the same time, I would be pretty happy getting those responses!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
entheos

What kind of info would you like to know?

I can email you a brochure if you'd like, or give you specs and tech info.

I'm driving one as a demo at the moment and the only issue I've has is one of the vacuum hoses popped off and gave me an engine light....fixed in about 5 minutes once up on the hoist, and the auto shifter didn't line up...a quick adjustment on the box fixed that.

Feel free to ask any questions you have and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

thanks entheos - my dad has the brochure i believe, i was just looking for feedback on any problems people have had with them so far, and your post helped answer that so cheers
Old 04-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Interesting, that what appears to be a customer service person on those forums, is responding, and offering to help...... Might be a token attempt, but, at the same time, I would be pretty happy getting those responses!
Yes it would be nice wouldn't it just...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
entheos

well seeing as they are only 4 days old officially, I doubt you'll find any major issues which have reared their heads just yet...They seem to be built a lot better than the LV and earlier models. One drive and he'll be hooked...
Old 04-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
well seeing as they are only 4 days old officially, I doubt you'll find any major issues which have reared their heads just yet...They seem to be built a lot better than the LV and earlier models. One drive and he'll be hooked...
That's why it's a good option to look on O/S forums for discussions on issues they may be experiencing as they always get the new models first
Old 07-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #13
DeKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ

You have to remember most Americans are probably only used to driving 'slush box' automatics, many of which don't lock the torque convertor until top gear. A dual clutch automatic usually feels 'ok' to a manual driver who is used to feeling the clutch take up and release, and knows what it feels like when you are coasting in gear at low revs with the clutch not disengaged.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #14
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i drove a WT Fiesta today with the DSG box, which i believe is the same as the one in the Focus, smoothest automatic ever! The dual clutch setup makes a ZF feel very antiquated.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
i drove a WT Fiesta today with the DSG box, which i believe is the same as the one in the Focus, smoothest automatic ever! The dual clutch setup makes a ZF feel very antiquated.
Without opening a can of worms, technically speaking they are a clutchless manual transmission, but I tend to agree that as they do all the gear changing themselves I too consider it to be an automatic, although much more refined, and with faster, more precise gear changes than an automatic box.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #16
rand0mn00b

don't forget more fuel efficient!
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in love with our demo Sport turbo diesel. I've driven it a few times now and always hop out smiling, I took it for a drive at night and the interior looks really nice all lit up. Very impressive!
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #18
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

dad picked up a Sport petrol manual in the end
Old 18-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #19
Squirrell
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
I'm in love with our demo Sport turbo diesel. I've driven it a few times now and always hop out smiling, I took it for a drive at night and the interior looks really nice all lit up. Very impressive!
Im Loving mine only got 40 kms on it at the moment.

Old 18-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #20
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Looks great!

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #21
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez that white is SEXY! The cars looks take a while to grow on you, but in the right colour it looks sensational. A grown up Fiesta.
Old 19-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #22
Squirrell
Starter Motor

I looked at all the colours and that was the one that stood out to me. First white car I have ever owned.
Old 21-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #23
paulgo

Ahhh.....very sexy and gorgeous!!!!!
Tinted protectors? Do dealers sell them?
paulgo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #24
Squirrell
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgo
Ahhh.....very sexy and gorgeous!!!!!
Tinted protectors? Do dealers sell them?
Yep;
Full set of Weather Shields $90
Rear Mud Flaps $50
Front Mud Flaps $50
Bonnet Protector $90
Trade price + GST $28
Total price = $308

Fitted my self and saved $186-00

Window Tinting this week $250
Old 22-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #25
paulgo

Thanx mate...
Old 22-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #26
rxj

Hi,

Test drove a Titanium petrol model on Saturday. A very quiet car but found it to be a bit sluggish during initial acceleration from traffic lights and when climbing hills.

Has anyone else experienced this? I found that I had to continue putting the transmission into sports mode to get any decent revs and acceleration.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from a 2.0 Litre engine, but saying this I find my Mazda 323 Astina which is automatic seems to have more power.

The dealer suggested that the car is still quite tight and will improve once it reaches over 1000kms. Is this true?

I'm looking at purchasing a "Frozen White" Titanium with the Sports Pack as my weekday car.

Cheers,

rxj.
rxj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #27
paulgo

rxj - the engines are pretested so what you see and feel on the roadtest is what you get. Yes, the engine will loosen up but it's not a quick process after 1000kms. After 5000kms you may notice slight difference.
Would recommend to testdrive another car to see if there is variation of the same model.
White colour is good choice, the coolest in summer, the safest on the road when it comes to visibility, and easy to maitain

cheers
Old 23-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #28
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its not the engine which would make it feel sluggish, very likely it is the powershift learning your driving style.... they also try to hang onto higher gears where possible to improve fuel consumption, but, when test driving you need to squeeze the throttle a bit further than you would in a conventional auto to make it change down.....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #29
DeKa

Also, being Powershift, you won't have the "slip" of the torque convertor which leads to rapidly increasing revs, without a great deal of road speed increase, in comparison to a manual or a Powershift. I think you'll find it was probably really accelerating briskly for a 2L, it just didn't feel like it if you're used to older torque convertor autos.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #30
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I remember reading a review that commented / complained on how the powershift gearbox was programed to shift up early to conserve fuel.
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post