Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
ConradP

Talking Time to mod my LV

Hey guys, I've got a 2010 LX Focus LV, I've just hit 11k km's and had my first year service, I think it's time i change a few things on it. First off I've never done anything to any car before this is my first car.

I'm looking at rims/lowering for starters, I'm pretty much in love with Oz Racing Superturismo GT's so I'm set on getting some 19"s of them.

Is there any brand of springs i should aim to get? I don't want to have the *** dragging on the ground or anything just a nice presentable height so i can't climb into the wheel arch and have a nap.

Secondly I'm looking at a CAI and exhaust, nothing stupid just want to get a nice tone coming out, now for the CAI all i know is k&n, I don't know if they are any good but seem the benchmark if anything, most people know I know have them.

Pretty much I'm just after any suggestions on what brands I should be looking at, I've been reading on here people re-doing all the suspension and sway-bars and all that, sounds great i'm just not sure if it's within my budget the rims will set me back around $2.4k from what I've seen not including tyres, i'm looking at spending around 5k in total less if possible.

Cheers in advance for any input.

ConradP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Default Re: Time to mod my LV

19s will make it a bit of a rough ride, and if ur roads r dodgy there is the risk of buckling. even my 18s annoy me sometimes.
if ur going to do the cai, u should look into an exhaust also. i have the k&n which is good, but is exposed, so illegal and can suck in hot air!

very fun and addictive cars to mod! just need the financial controller to ok more spending!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eibachs are the Ford (UK) recommended springs. I've got a set (just arrived) going on soon, so I can't comment as yet. But they are supposed to lower about 30mm.

Try Ford Parts UK (This is a link to their Ford 2008 parts http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford...008_parts_339/fordparts uk)or European Parts in Germanyhttp://www.european-parts.net/catalo...x.php?cPath=58, rather than locally - a little wait, but cheaper than buying locally, even after shipping.

Just make sure everything fits. Some things are compatible with 2005 Foci (LS/LT for us), some things only fit what they call the 2008 "Facelift" model (our LV). I've found out that the hard way recently...

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
ConradP

Cheers, the rims come in either 18 or 19" so i may look at the 18s in that case, cuts some money as well.

Is there any need for any adjustments to the computer or anything when changing the intake and exhaust? Or can i pretty much just drop in the intake and drive away?

Thanks for the links In Focus, but i'm extremely impatient so i'll prob just do my best to source out the parts here and haggle until they want me to leave for best price, i'll try go through the same place for rims/tyres springs and exhaust if possible to get them to knock off as much overall as possible.

I was looking at the K&N website they have a Focus specific intake, would that be the best kind to go? It's $250 on there or would there be a better alternative for that price, I'm willing to go higher for quality but this seems like it would be decent.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A larger rear swaybar will tighten up the rear end & make a big difference. Its easy to do yourself & reasonably cheap suspension mod.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

an aftermarket Intercooler is where i would be going first, then a tune, then a CAI. shop around for wheels. JWR in the UK do some great stuff for the XR5/ST including some wheels.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He's got an LX, not an XR5, Mondy.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
ConradP

Haha O was reading and thinking, why on earth would i need an aftermarket intercooler D: I wish I had an XR5 haha, that or an RS been in one of them and could have lived out of it.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
ConradP

Also if i were still to go with 19" even 18" rims would there be any rubbing? i'm not going to lower the car to much i just want it not to sit like a truck so with minimal gap between tyre and wheel well.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
photn
AFF Post NAZI

my suggestion for CAI is K&N Apollo,

exhaust you want a 2.25" cat back

up to you if you want mandrel bends or press bends or stainless or mild steel.

cheapest option just for sound is press bend mild steel.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
MR_LON
ORSMT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
Also if i were still to go with 19" even 18" rims would there be any rubbing? i'm not going to lower the car to much i just want it not to sit like a truck so with minimal gap between tyre and wheel well.
as long as you get the correct offset you should be fine with either the 18's or 19's. i run 235 19's & eibachs on my xr5 and don't rub.
1 thing i would definately recomend when you lower it is adjustable rear arms or you will be wearing the inside of the rear tyre out quickly
EO XR5 with blacked out highlights, grilles & fog surround, black angel eye headlights, black turbo badges, eibach springs, bluepower custom tune, motorcade ic & intake piping, Xforce turbo back exhaust, lexus style rear fog/reverse lights, EBC red pads, Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 fluid, custom fibreglass bonnet & slam panel cover, under bonnet bling & more soon
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn

I agree with photnnd would definitely recommend the Apollo and 2.25" catback as well.

Check out this thread for CAI information: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11324281

In Focus is also right on the money RE: Eibach springs, I had these on my car for a couple of years. You'll spend a bucketload sourcing them locally, so I'd also recommend getting them from overseas. We're not talking saving $50 here or there, we're talking hundreds of dollars. If you want local springs, you can go with King Springs or Lovell's. I know what I'd be choosing though!

In terms of tyre rub, you should be OK. I have 18's, with a 35mm drop and have no scrubbing issues.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn

up to you if you want mandrel bends or press bends or stainless or mild steel.

cheapest option just for sound is press bend mild steel.
What about the K&N Typhoon kit? A mate of mine at work has one and say it's decent, what's the comparison between that and the Apollo?

With the exhaust i was thinking 2.25 or 2.5" more so the former with stainleess steel, i'm going to look around for some shops that make and fit them, does anyone know of anywhere in vic? I love in Diamond Creek so eastern suburbs area if possible, another friend of mine went to a place in ringwood for his commodore and said they did a good job, guess i'll just be looking around to start.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I also recommend the K&N Apollo, it's a good bit of kit.

Stainless steel will be more expensive and most likely heavier than mild steel. I didn't see a point in it really, exhausts aren't the most expensive things to mod.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
What about the K&N Typhoon kit? A mate of mine at work has one and say it's decent, what's the comparison between that and the Apollo?

With the exhaust i was thinking 2.25 or 2.5" more so the former with stainleess steel, i'm going to look around for some shops that make and fit them, does anyone know of anywhere in vic? I love in Diamond Creek so eastern suburbs area if possible, another friend of mine went to a place in ringwood for his commodore and said they did a good job, guess i'll just be looking around to start.
Unfortunately K&N only make a Typhoon for the American Focus. The Typhoon places the pod filter down behind the front bumper.

I work in Ringwood and keep on hearing good things about that exhaust place just off the Maroondah Highway, near Eastlink.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
I also recommend the K&N Apollo, it's a good bit of kit.

Stainless steel will be more expensive and most likely heavier than mild steel. I didn't see a point in it really, exhausts aren't the most expensive things to mod.
I thought it was more of a quality thing, stainless being the better, also the tip would stay cleaner longer right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
Unfortunately K&N only make a Typhoon for the American Focus. The Typhoon places the pod filter down behind the front bumper.

I work in Ringwood and keep on hearing good things about that exhaust place just off the Maroondah Highway, near Eastlink.
Ahh fair enough! Guess that's what happens when most of the sites i've been looking at are american.

Looks like tomorrow i'll be removing the resonator and installing the K&N Apollo and checking out the ringwood place for a quote.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think there is a resonator in there. At least I never found one...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11333270

Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #18
ConradP

Ahh, friend of mine's been telling me to remove it since i got the car a year ago, a mate of his had a focus and said that was the first thing to do, but his was an older one of course haha, cheers, saves me looking for nothing haha!
Old 04-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #19
ConradP

Ordered a K&N Apollo today, should have it in 3-4 days hopefully!
Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #20
ConradP

I've been thinking, is it possible to get the rear panel from a XR5 and chuck it on a LX? the part down the bottom with the fins and the twin exhaust holes, just looks nicer than the standard kit.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #21
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
He's got an LX, not an XR5, Mondy.
doh!

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #22
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
I've been thinking, is it possible to get the rear panel from a XR5 and chuck it on a LX? the part down the bottom with the fins and the twin exhaust holes, just looks nicer than the standard kit.
My understanding is that the rear bar on the LV is a one piece unit and as such the only way would be to try and fit a complete XR5 bumper assembly. You may need to make some modifications to mounting points too.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #23
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
My understanding is that the rear bar on the LV is a one piece unit and as such the only way would be to try and fit a complete XR5 bumper assembly. You may need to make some modifications to mounting points too.
Ah ok, bugger that then, I was looking at it while eating lunch and it seemed to have a "2nd part" to it but i guess it's just bent to look like that.

Also when you do the exhaust on the lv, will i need to get a piece cut out? or will it sit just below like it currently does, i'm not getting a tip that's bent down like stock, friends have mentioned that a new exhaust wont fit.. They don't own a focus but are just saying from experience with their cars.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #24
casabonka
You can call me Chris

you might need to look at getting a tip that bends down. I didnt and am not really happy with my tip - I got it 18 months ago and kept saying i was going to get a new tip! Im sure a single shorter tip should be better though.

-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 04-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just had mine done, and the bloke who did it went with a down-turned tip like the stock (except stainless, rather than the now average-looking original). Nice and subtle, but a little bigger for a touch more sound (and less restriction, of course).

Old 04-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #26
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
I've just had mine done, and the bloke who did it went with a down-turned tip like the stock.
Thats what I had asked for with my guy but didnt, and of course put up with it instead of complaining..
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 04-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #27
ConradP

Have any of you thought of getting a part of the rear bar cut out to fit just a single straight pipe?
Old 04-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #28
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Ah ok, bugger that then, I was looking at it while eating lunch and it seemed to have a "2nd part" to it but i guess it's just bent to look like that.

Also when you do the exhaust on the lv, will i need to get a piece cut out? or will it sit just below like it currently does, i'm not getting a tip that's bent down like stock, friends have mentioned that a new exhaust wont fit.. They don't own a focus but are just saying from experience with their cars.
I was going to have the existing cutout made a bit bigger so the tip would be recessed into the bar (like the XR5) The biggest issue is that the mounting points to hold the bottom of the bar in place are right along side where the existing cutout is and this leaves little or no room to widen the cutout. There's not really enough meat in the bar available above the existing cutout to make it much bigger without cutting a bit too close to the painted part of the bar ( which might look a bit odd if you do) and if you want to go wider you will need to cut into the mounting point of the bar. Sorry if this sounds confusing but if you have a quick look under the back of the car and look at where the mounting point is and where the current small cutout is (on the LV) you will be able to see where I'm coming from. I have a single stainless tip on mine mounted up as close to the top edge of the original cutout as was possible, it's not exactly what I would have liked but it looks OK and the sports muffler sounds great so I'm fairly happy overall.

Last edited by Russ; 04-09-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #29
ConradP

Ahh ok, yeah i get what you're saying, it's not possible to raise i all all even in the current spot?
I was hoping to not have it flush with the body but just a bit higher up so it somewhat blends in. Also guess that leaves converting it to a dual exhaust huh?

Also i was just washing my car then and was looking in the engine bay to try move the snorkle, well get rid of it for now that wraps around the front, and the screws holding the radiator cover in place don't really want to come off, am i just stupid or is something besides a phillips head needed there?

I'm going to need to remove it soon anyway when i get the K&N apollo i ordered but figured i'd give myself a head start and a bit of a nicer intake for the meantime.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #30
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ordered a K&N Apollo today, should have it in 3-4 days hopefully!
Make sure you also purchase a 70mm silicone hose, with a 90 degree elbow, for attachment of the Apollo to the throttle body, as will as 12mm internal diameter silicone hosing so that you can re-route your crankcase breather: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...8&postcount=19