Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #31
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Time to mod my LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
Ahh ok, yeah i get what you're saying, it's not possible to raise i all all even in the current spot?
I was hoping to not have it flush with the body but just a bit higher up so it somewhat blends in. Also guess that leaves converting it to a dual exhaust huh?

Also i was just washing my car then and was looking in the engine bay to try move the snorkle, well get rid of it for now that wraps around the front, and the screws holding the radiator cover in place don't really want to come off, am i just stupid or is something besides a phillips head needed there?

I'm going to need to remove it soon anyway when i get the K&N apollo i ordered but figured i'd give myself a head start and a bit of a nicer intake for the meantime.
It can probably be cut slightly and have the pipe raised a bit but you wouldn't really be able to raise it much and then there's the issue of the width of the tip you choose to have fitted and the heat from it melting into the bar. You might be able to fit dual pipes on it but you wouldn't gain anything from it performance wise and they would need to be fairly close together in the centre of the bar and might look a bit odd. I considered doing similar earlier but decided against it.

As far as the plastic screws on that cover are concerned try using a small flat screwdriver (a jewellers screwdriver is best) and gently prize up under the head of the screw as you unscrew it. I'm pretty sure you'll find they have a plastic clip in base that they screw into, when you refit them the plastic screw should be unscrewed all the way so the base part fits back in the hole then the just press in the screw with your thumb, they usually make a clicking sound as you press them in.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #32
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
Make sure you also purchase a 70mm silicone hose, with a 90 degree elbow, for attachment of the Apollo to the throttle body, as will as 12mm internal diameter silicone hosing so that you can re-route your crankcase breather: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...8&postcount=19
Will do, should have all that at supercheap/autobarn right? Also what length 12mm hose? that's a longish one isnt it?
Old 04-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #33
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
It can probably be cut slightly and have the pipe raised a bit but you wouldn't really be able to raise it much and then there's the issue of the width of the tip you choose to have fitted and the heat from it melting into the bar. You might be able to fit dual pipes on it but you wouldn't gain anything from it performance wise and they would need to be fairly close together in the centre of the bar and might look a bit odd. I considered doing similar earlier but decided against it.
Yeah seems i'll just stick to the standard single pipe sticking out cheers for all the info!

Quote:
As far as the plastic screws on that cover are concerned try using a small flat screwdriver (a jewellers screwdriver is best) and gently prize up under the head of the screw as you unscrew it. I'm pretty sure you'll find they have a plastic clip in base that they screw into, when you refit them the plastic screw should be unscrewed all the way so the base part fits back in the hole then the just press in the screw with your thumb, they usually make a clicking sound as you press them in.
Finally got it, i was trying to ply it up with a flathead and it just wouldn't come up, managed to get the flathead under the entire screw with the clip bit and force it up there, so lifted up what i could of the cover and yeah, got it out went for a little drive to kinglake to see the difference, there's something there but not much, can't wait for the new intake!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #34
Turbodiesel
Torquer

The pipe looks good Russ. I think my tip is the same as casabonka's but I purposely went for the stand out look so I like it, sick of being subtle

You're right about cutting it out though, I couldn't do that on mine either due to the mounting bracket behind the rear skirt. So I just stuck it underneath like you did, the only problem I have is it needing constant cleaning due to the soot factor.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #35
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Will do, should have all that at supercheap/autobarn right? Also what length 12mm hose? that's a longish one isnt it?
The 12mm hose will probably come in metre lengths.

The 70mm hose = 2.75 inch hose, with a 90 degree bend. May or may not be available at your local auto store. If it isn't, try good old ebay. Try and get one with short leg lengths (around 50mm), saves you trimming the hose down.

You'll need some hose clamps to secure both the 12mm and 70mm hoses too.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #36
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My exhaust tip...

Note the new Focus badge in this one...

And since this is an LV mod thread, see one of the links I had to add for the sway bar (apparently they are meant for LS/LT, as the LV set-up is different). Anyone know if they're "hanging" at the right height? They seem kind of low to me.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #37
ConradP

what is the note like? i've seen some with a nice little burble type sound, how big is that aswell?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #38
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A little grumble. Pretty much quiet as stock at normal throttle. Open it up and it growls nicely. Not enough to annoy your passengers - or the neighbours - but just enough. The guy who did it knew I wanted something subtle and was going to go for a 2" but put on a 2.25" because the muffler was "almost too free-flowing". Overall very pleased. If you're after more noise, definitely go the 2.25".

I'd imagine the Apollo would satisfy you, though. I get a good bass sound out of the K&N drop-in cylinder filter in the short intake/standard airbox, but the Apollo should offer even more.

I want some pics of the install, by the way. Still trying to convince myself to go for it, so you're the guinea pig

Old 04-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #39
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

x 2 on the sound from the exhaust, nice and subtle and a good growl when you open it up. Mine appears to have a slightly deeper note since it has settled in and sounds very sporty now. My son did a quick video of it yesterday, I'll try and post it up when I get the chance

Where did you buy your swaybar In Focus ? Is that the adjustable one from eBay ? Mine arrived last week and I'm going to try and organise fitting this week if I can. I spoke to a guy at our local Ford dealership regarding the swaybars and he checked up and said that 2005 onwards should all be the same fit as the chassis platforms are the same. I think yours is sitting OK now, but if it's adjustable perhaps that's the reason it looks lower due to the position it's set at How do you find it ? Has it made a difference to the handling ?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #40
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I got the swaybar from e-bay. It fits fine, but the original links didn't fit. It's not an adjustable one, though. You've got a Zetec, so that might be different.

Handles beautifully, though. Nothing much wrong with the original, but you don't realise how much the car body-rolls around corners until it doesn't... It's like buying your Mrs some new lingerie, and finding she not only looks as good as you hoped, but she's learnt some new tricks as well.

Lowering springs are going on tomorrow, so we'll see how much that adds to the handling improvement.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #41
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

In Focus, your swaybar end links look about right. I can't believe the LS/LT end links are different to the LV ones!

Your exhaust tip is really nice as well.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #42
ConradP

yeah i'm after something just a bit louder than stock idling, and nice and loud when you open it up

And i'll take plenty of pics when i get it installed In Focus, i used your little thread to get rid of the snorkle for the stock one earlier today, so that free that up for when the k&n one arrives!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #43
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah i'm after something just a bit louder than stock idling, and nice and loud when you open it up

And i'll take plenty of pics when i get it installed In Focus, i used your little thread to get rid of the snorkle for the stock one earlier today, so that free that up for when the k&n one arrives!
Try replacing the muffler first with a sports one and if you then find you would like it a little louder get them to fit a shorter resonator, that will bump up the volume a bit
Old 05-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #44
ConradP

I'm going to get the exhaust done from the engine not just the cat should be fine i hope :P going to go around this week getting quotes
Old 05-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #45
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
The pipe looks good Russ. I think my tip is the same as casabonka's but I purposely went for the stand out look so I like it, sick of being subtle

You're right about cutting it out though, I couldn't do that on mine either due to the mounting bracket behind the rear skirt. So I just stuck it underneath like you did, the only problem I have is it needing constant cleaning due to the soot factor.
Cheers mate, I like the twin pipe look as well, they all get dirty but the diesels would be extra sooty, they don't call them chimneys for nothing
Old 05-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #46
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: Time to mod my LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
In Focus, your swaybar end links look about right. I can't believe the LS/LT end links are different to the LV ones!

Your exhaust tip is really nice as well.
Thanks. On both accounts. I seem to remember yours is down-turned and unobtrusive as well...

Old 05-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #47
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm going to get the exhaust done from the engine not just the cat should be fine i hope :P going to go around this week getting quotes
Just make sure that you use a reputable exhaust place (maybe even ask some of the Forum sponsors first about your options) a couple of the places I spoke to told me that changing from the engine back can cause some dramas with engine warning lights etc.... a lot of it is to do with 02 sensors and stuff so just be careful. It would probably be a good idea to keep the original cat and other components just in case
Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #48
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Xforce already do an engine-back system for the Focus. It's actually for the Mazda 3, but we use the same engine and it bolts up to the Focus without modification.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11250385
Old 05-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #49
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus

And since this is an LV mod thread, see one of the links I had to add for the sway bar (apparently they are meant for LS/LT, as the LV set-up is different). Anyone know if they're "hanging" at the right height? They seem kind of low to me.

Just had a look under mine and I already have the exact same linkage set up as that on my Zetec, looks like it will be a straight swap over on mine, that's a bonus for a change That height looks pretty much the same as mine mate so you should be all good
Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #50
ConradP

Quick question, I'm on euro-parts about to buy the eibach springs for myself and a mate, i'm also looking at the front and rear strut bars, they are for the focus mkII and mkIII will they fit my LV?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #51
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The strut bars would probably fit but I'd rather put my money towards sway bars. The Whiteline rear sway bar is a proven mod for the Mk2 Focus, with many happy customers on these forums.

Last edited by DZFord; 05-09-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #52
ConradP

Alrighty, i'll get the front strut still but not the rear, that way i still have a boot!
And do the springs fit? I've got the mk3 ones, mine is a 2010 lx and his is a 2011 lx, both LV though his is just the next model up, mine the mk1 his mk2 in the aussie market. the euro models confuse me a bit.. lol
Old 05-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #53
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MK1 = LR Focus = < 2004.
MK2 = LS/LT/LV Focus (late 2004 > onwards) (LV in Europe is known as MK2 Face lift)
MK3 = LW Focus (mid 2011 onwards / newest shape)

Make sure European Parts sends you the correct springs, ie. part number E10-35-016-02-22

I hate how European Parts doesn't have an option at times to select your engine size. In Europe they have 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 petrol engine variants. The 2.0L engine and the diesel models use E10-35-016-02-22 springs.

The other variants use E10-35-016-01-22 springs.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #54
ConradP

Thanks heaps! Been a little worried with ordering for the wrong car and well ordering for the uk almost makes it not worth sending back.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #55
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just make sure you email them to confirm the right part number prior to shipping and it should be all good!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #56
ConradP

Champion, put the parts number in the comments all ordered now to sit back and wait!

On another note i'm going to check out TTF tomorrow morning to see if they have the rims i'm after in stock if not i'll order them! then onto ringwood performance exhaust to get a quote!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #57
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck with the quotes mate, let us know how you go at ringwood exhaust.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #58
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Springs are on. No front dropping under braking. No body roll around corners. It's a NEW CAR!

On a serious note, do the springs and Whiteline sway bar put undue extra strain elsewhere? I mean, I realise the standard shocks are going to go earlier than they otherwise would, and there may be the odd harsher than stock jolt here and there, but is there anything else I should watch for? I can see myself testing the limits a little more, and while I'm sure the springs and sway bar can more than handle anything I can dish out, I don't want to break other bits of the car.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #59
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would think by stiffening things up a bit if anything that should reduce the strain on other components due to the car having less body roll and movement. The only thing you might find a little harsher will be large potholes so try and avoid them where possible :(
Old 06-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #60
Turbodiesel
Torquer

What better way to test your springs than around a track?

You boys should sign up for the Marulan day, I went last time and had a blast.

The stock springs felt quite soft when the car was pushed hard.

Pics In Focus???

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post