Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #91
jonohoang

Default Re: Focus Titanium vs Cruze SRi-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
im having sooo much trouble believing that a turning circle on a smallish car is such a BIG issue...im tempted to say get over it cus youll never notice it anyway...me or my bro and our wifes have had ZERO dramas yet and we have 18s

just picked up a white titanium on friday, and the turning circle is quite noticable. During a u-turn you could previously do in a large car or tight parking spots, it becomes noticeable. But nothing you cannot live without.
Currently loving the car, such an amazing overall package

powershift does take getting use to though..
jonohoang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #92
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
im having sooo much trouble believing that a turning circle on a smallish car is such a BIG issue...im tempted to say get over it cus youll never notice it anyway...me or my bro and our wifes have had ZERO dramas yet and we have 18s
You obviously have never owned a car with an excellent turning circle. I have.

Cars are part of my life and business. In this day and age of tested and proven vehicle componentry, engineers and vehicle manufacturers should have no reason for releasing something with a design flaw.

I would purchase a classic car with a poor turning circle, maybe even a recently used vehicle, but I'd never buy a new small car with an added feature of 12.2m turning circle (equivelant to a 100 series Landcruise).

The engineers designed the Focus with 16in wheels, the style gurus decided to throw 17 in on the Sport and they got away with it. However, they failed on the practicality and engineering side when they threw on the 18's.

Quote:
Great looking 18-inch alloy wheels finish off the Titanium’s sport stance. The only downside to the big wheels is a massive turning circle. Ford says it’s 11m, but I’m certain the Titanium’s turning circle is larger. I found myself continuously having to perform three-point turns in locations I could normally easily get away with a quick u-turn.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/138534/ford-focus-review-2/
Quote:
•Noise.
Too much. The suspension clunks on rough, patched and broken asphalt — that is, almost every road surface. The hatchback's bigger tires threw up a hounding roar, and the sedan's smaller skins weren't exactly silent. Test Drive kept reaching for the power window switches, convinced that the outside racket seeping in couldn't happen unless a window were down a sliver — and none was. A lot of today's small cars have backslid on noise, reintroducing the suspension thunks and tire howls of yore.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...rd-focus_n.htm
As I've said before; some people won't mind the firmer suspension, the bangs over rough roads, and the noisy tyres. I do, I've experienced it, and I would never be happy with it.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #93
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

How hard would it be for Ford to have the option of the Sport's wheel & steering set up?

Quote:
The hatchback had the optional ($595) handling package, which included 18-inch-diameter wheels
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...rd-focus_n.htm
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #94
SaCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohoang
just picked up a white titanium on friday, and the turning circle is quite noticable. During a u-turn you could previously do in a large car or tight parking spots, it becomes noticeable. But nothing you cannot live without.
Currently loving the car, such an amazing overall package

powershift does take getting use to though..
I agree jonohoang

It's no big deal & you get over it! I think I have done 2 u turns in six weeks!
This car handles like no other that I have had before, I’m still to find its limit around bends even to the point I’m not game to try & find the limit.

I have had two other cars with sports packages & this is no different other than this handles better! They are firm for a reason. As for tyre noise : My 4WD has tyre noise. It's not a Rolls Royce!
SaCrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #95
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting thread. The Mondeo Titanium also has sports suspension with 18" wheels, although I don't think it's as sporty a package as the Focus. I don't understand why they do this - surely it should at least be an option?

If you think your roads aren't the best, try NZ. After fitting 17s with 235/45 tyres on my Mondeo, I went back to the 16s after 6 months!
Old 16-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #96
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaCrow
They are firm for a reason.
There comes a point when a balance must be reached between ride comfort and handling. The Titanium, being the premium model, should be aimed towards a more comfortable ride. The Titanium isn't a Sport model - at least, it's not meant to be, and that's not what Ford are marketing it as (lack of a manual is evidence of that).
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #97
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Those days finished in the 1970's.

Show me a modern car with 100% Aussie content. Hell, show me one with 75%, 60%!

Engine parts from another country, whole trans from either Europe or America, audio system? Electronics could be from a number of countries, airbags os. Is the trim still made in Australia? I remember Holden's moving it offshore about 10 years ago.

Sorry, but the only thing traditional at an Aussie car manufacturer these days is the meat pies & the footy sponsorship, the rest has gone global.
Yup Your partially right. A lot of content are from overseas but there again a lot is from australia and a lot of jobs are dependant on the vehicles continuing to be built here in Australia.

Having said all of that, I would still buy a Focus and actually did for the missus. Sport model is probably the pick of the bunch. Great level of features and the best ride/handling package of the bunch. Sorry but the Cruze is not on the same page. If you're wanting to compare, try the golf.
The rest of the competition are stuck in third.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #98
SaCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205
There comes a point when a balance must be reached between ride comfort and handling. The Titanium, being the premium model, should be aimed towards a more comfortable ride. The Titanium isn't a Sport model - at least, it's not meant to be, and that's not what Ford are marketing it as (lack of a manual is evidence of that).
The Titanium is a sport with extra’s!!

I was looking at a GTD Golf but the extra's cost plenty!!!! The Titanium in my eye was never and isn't a luxury car !

I don’t really think in this class of car you could call any of them "Luxury" I would think its a small car with the works.
SaCrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #99
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Fiesta XR4 turning circle is 11.4m on the stock 17" wheels.

Iv'e had my XR4 for over 4 years now and I think it's something you just get used to, caught me out a couple of times when I first got the car but don't even think about it now, your driving style just changes to it.

I'm thinking of a Focus Titanium myself .. I think they look so good with those 5 spoke 18's !!! ..

Don't like the Sport wheels at all personally, way too busy, don't suit the car at all I reckon, no offence to those who have a Sport of course .. just my opinion, I'm sure Ford marketing have done their homework and know a whole lot more than little old me.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #100
blatchie

5 Spoke wheels would have to be easier to clean than my sports wheels. wanna swap?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #101
ozmars
Starter Motor

Chose the sport auto over the cruze Sri-v. No disrespect to Holden, but the cruze reminded me of those mid 80's Magnas (the elite?) where Mitsubishi crammed all the electronics onto the dash to make it seem like a better car.
ozmars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post