Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Default Focus ST beats Toyota 86 GTS

Another great review for the ST in today's Carsguide. Article by Stuart Martin.

The ST gets a great write up: "The ST ticks all the right boxes. You just have to shift for yourself."

A few pages later it goes head to head against the 86 which it beats.
It is rated superior in the "driving" department, "the 86 is not a scorcher in a straight line" the Focus has "bags of grip" with "well weighted steering and bags of grunt."

Another great positive review for the new Focus. Again appearing in Australias biggest selling paper which again should boost sales... won't be long before it goes past the Daewoo Cruze... (I'd love to see a comparison between the ST and the Walkinshaw Cruze -$50K worth - and a 0-100 tine of 9.5 secs lol... It would be a bloodbath).

Also: considering it beat the 86 in this comparison and Wheels rated the 86 better than the Cayman, Ford fans can now state that the ST is better than a new Porsche..... lol... hey - it's good for a giggle for Ford fans.

Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Focus ST beats Toyota 86 GTS

How'd the Hyundai veloster do? it would have probably outsold the st and the 86. There are simply too many around these days
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Funny how many people only seem to agree with Carsguide/Carsales/Drive etc when the verdict goes their way. In all other instances they are deemed worthless biased publications. Just putting that out there, because I'm sure they are losing their minds over on the Toyota forums

Good for the Focus though, I'm sure many 86 fanboys will be crying foul upon reading it, they've been brainwashed with the 86>everything propaganda for a while now.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
How'd the Hyundai veloster do? it would have probably outsold the st and the 86. There are simply too many around these days
The new ST has been around for 5 minutes compared to the Veloster.

I reckon the new ST will be a game changer for Ford then its little brother Fiesta ST will come along later, 2 pronged attack.

Then hopefully a new Fiesta or Focus RS.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

I wish Aus got the full ST Focus range as the Poms get - it starts at £21K and goes thru to a fully loaded £26K.... The base model would be $31K driveaway.... Food for thought.

In performance terms the ST murders the turbo veloster...

And apparently there's plenty of headroom for a stonking 350hp RS... Mmmm
Old 13-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

The new ST is much better equipped compared to the last one. Have you seen an ST1? Not all that appealing on the inside to be honest. I think we got a good spec, its basically an ST2 with some ST3 features like Xenons.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is one big box it doesn't tick... RWD
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
There is one big box it doesn't tick... RWD
Always one
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Always one
Maybe so, but there's plenty of "fanboys" as mentioned above whom RWD is more important in a so called sports car.. I would prefer the slower 86 then the ST (which I do love) because the 86 would be more fun to drive.. But real world it would be a daily, and I cant put kids in an 86...

It's slightly different target markets here..So comparing fwd and rwd is pointless as it depends on intended use as well as preference.. But all round the ST is certainly a killer package! Even if a bit pricey..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shame there is no DSG available. Would have considered it as a daily but Sydney stop start traffic 5 days a week in a manual is a deal breaker.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Shame there is no DSG available. Would have considered it as a daily but Sydney stop start traffic 5 days a week in a manual is a deal breaker.
Agreed
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Focus ST and 86 are not even competing in the same class - 86 is a pure sports car and ST is a hot hatch . There are many good hot hatches and not many pure sports cars at that price point ...so carsguide as usual has no idea.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 13-10-2012 at 11:28 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

A little of topic but what I found funny was in BFYB in Motor, the G6 Ecoboost was faster than the 86 in every dicipline including lap time at Wakefield. The 86 only beat the G6 in turn 4 and 7 with the G6 getting the other 4 timed corners. The G6 beat the 86 in lap time, top speed, 0-100, 100-0, 0-400m, 400m Vmax, 80-120 and the hillclimb. Not bad for a full sized fuel miser family car.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
. I would prefer the slower 86 then the ST (which I do love) because the 86 would be more fun to drive..
so, you've driven both then? or does being RWD mean its a foregone conclusion??
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #15
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the price difference on these cars?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
so, you've driven both then? or does being RWD mean its a foregone conclusion??
Remember, we are only human and right or wrong, valid reason or not, we like different things.

Some people just like RWD, like the mechanical layout of RWD, the handling characteristics, the ease of manitenance or modification.... Or that smoking the rear tyres looks so much cooler than the front. Everyone has a reason, no matter how pointless.

Just like how some people will only buy a Falcon OR a Commodore. Why? They do the same thing 98% of the time.

So the Focus or EB Falcon are quicker around a track? What does this mean for 99.9% of drivers who only drive on legal roads?
Old 14-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
I wish Aus got the full ST Focus range as the Poms get - it starts at £21K and goes thru to a fully loaded £26K.... The base model would be $31K driveaway.... Food for thought.

In performance terms the ST murders the turbo veloster...

And apparently there's plenty of headroom for a stonking 350hp RS... Mmmm
Veloster turbo is 0-100 in high 6's for the manual, mid 6's for the auto. My buddies' Veloster turbo is about a car length slower down the quarter mile than my Polo Gti, and the Polo runs high 14's. So in terms of outright performance, the Veloster turbo would be on par with the Focus ST. The Veloster is also a surprisingly good handler, although my mates has aftermarket rims and rubber.

Also, I've said it before, but its such a pity the Focus ST doesn't come with an automatic option of any sort. It limits the buying audience substantially, and counts it out as a possible upgrade for me completely.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
What's the price difference on these cars?
Carsguide has them at: ST $38,290 the 86 is $35,490.

However, the ridiculous waiting time (18-24 months if you order an 86 today) should be considered, as well as the "real" price. Checkout Carsales for a guide... Extremely limited supply will do that I suppose..

In real world terms the ST is thousands cheaper.
Old 14-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Focus ST and 86 are not even competing in the same class - 86 is a pure sports car and ST is a hot hatch . There are many good hot hatches and not many pure sports cars at that price point ...so carsguide as usual has no idea.
Exactly...god some people draw long bows.

Its exactly the same as when they compare a HSV or FPV to AMG or a M series. There is no real comparison but they just happen to give similar experiences in certain areas. Interesting to read, sure, but dont sit around fooling yourself that a ST really gives the same feedback and reward as a 86.

No doubt for the normal daily grind the ST is better...but I know which one I would take when I want to have a bit of fun, and its not the bum dragger.

Note: I love the ST/RS series as much as anyone else, but lets not compare a FWD to a RWD when it comes to dynamics...some key points of a driving experience are missed as they you cannot put a number or rating on them.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its not competing in the same "class", but they're the same price, really the only difference is one drives the rear wheels and the other drives the front, I don't care about that.

For me that means I'd cross shop them both.

To me, "hot hatch" and "sports" are the same.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #21
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I often wonder if people who bark on about the evils of not having RWD are the same people that their own car is a RWD and Auto. Can we even taken those people seriously? At least sell your auto for a manual and then you can add weight to the arguement.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Its not competing in the same "class", but they're the same price, really the only difference is one drives the rear wheels and the other drives the front, I don't care about that.

Gotta agree here. Being at similar price points, it's only natural the ST and 86 will be cross shopped. Yes, they are technically part of different categories, but these days people will cross shop sedans with SUVs, hot hatches with RWD sports cars etc. It's all about value for money these days.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #23
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Of the two people I know who actually have laid money down and have the 86 on order, neither would have bought a hot hatch as an alternative.
Old 14-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

How can some simple facts turn so ugly - didn't take long - 1 post lol

Sometimes I wonder why people post anything good to say about Ford :(

Thanks for in the info - poor slow 86

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Of the two people I know who actually have laid money down and have the 86 on order, neither would have bought a hot hatch as an alternative.
Good luck to them?

It seems all the RWD fanboys on here drive auto Falcons/Commodores and its superior to any FWD car, just because it drives the rear wheels.

Falcon and Commodore do their job perfectly fine as a family sedan, don't get me wrong, but they're hardly the best in handling and driving dynamics really, it goes fairly quick in a straight line and thats it.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-10-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 14-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
prydey
Rob

price is often the determining factor. for me personally, it is the same price as a falcon XR6, so that is what would find its way into my driveway. i'm also not 18 anymore and don't treat the road like a race track, so all the talk of 'handling' and 'driving dynamics' means absolutely diddly squat.

anyways, its a bit hard to say one is better than the other without sampling them.

otherwise as you can see from my post, its all just personal preference. i'm not saying a xr6 is better than either, but for me, it is.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #27
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Gotta agree here. Being at similar price points, it's only natural the ST and 86 will be cross shopped. Yes, they are technically part of different categories, but these days people will cross shop sedans with SUVs, hot hatches with RWD sports cars etc. It's all about value for money these days.
Pure sports car means no utility designed into it - it is made purely for driving enjoyment - i doubt anyone crossshops pure sports car against family sedan ,suv or a hatch .
For example young couple looking for a pram friendly car will crossshop XTrail ,Forester , RAV4 and 86 ? Same price point...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Pure sports car means no utility designed into it - it is made purely for driving enjoyment - i doubt anyone crossshops pure sports car against family sedan ,suv or a hatch .
For example young couple looking for a pram friendly car will crossshop XTrail ,Forester , RAV4 and 86 ? Same price point...
Obviously not, but I'll use me as an example, I'm up for another car in 2014, I'll set a budget and what ever I find I like at the time in that budget is what I'll end up with, doesn't matter if its SUV/sports car/hot hatch/family car etc.
Old 14-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #29
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

Thats a perfectly valid argument and I dont disagree..but then take the 86 off your list because its not as practical as a 5 door hatch, and it was never built with the focus, golf et al in its sights.

There is a huuuge difference between hot hatch and a sports car. Again, just because a hot hatch can achieve certain criteria does not mean its a sports car. Its a blurred line sometimes but there is a difference, the 86 was designed, developed and built with driving in mind...thats it...the Focus and the rest are products of hotting up a passenger car.

Some people want a car that is just transport, some want transport with a bit of punch, and then some want a more pure experience...all are good for various reasons but there is a difference between all of them even though some attributes are shared.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A refreshingly positive review from carsguide, it's so good to see a writer focusing on what's good about today's cars
ST is an amazing package that surely puts Ford front and centre with hot hatch buyers, and that has to be a good thing.

I don't agree with comparisons with the likes of Toyota 86 as that is arguably a more specific sports car
buyer demographic - something maybe a Mustang in varying configurations could better fill at a later time?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post