Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #31
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Ford Sat Nav Map Updates

Hhmmm i think im going to ask about an update for mine tommorrow, see how i go. Might be worth waiting for the AC version but ill ask anyway.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #32
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutanti View Post
The Security on the SD Cards is very well Done.
I have even tried to make a Clone of the SD card with GPARTED Live Linux boot Disk From original to Another SD And it still Would Not Work.
Cope was in Same Format ( Fat16 )

Sat nav says Card not compatable...
I am sure there would be a way to unlock the contents. Just have to have someone that has the time to figure it out.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #33
rand0mn00b

I'm afraid it's not as easy as just copying the contents of someone else's SD card on to your's...

With everyone owning a computer and the widespread use of forums like these combined with the ease and low cost in which SD cards can be purchased, GPS mapping companies have had to step up the measures to prevent map piracy. While the cost of GPS hardware is continually dropping, map software is still making these companies relatively good money, especially in comparison to the cost of producing and shipping hardware.

I work in technical services for a company that distributes after market car head units and we recently released a line of head units under our own house brand that include GPS mapping. We too thought it was a case of just copying some files to a thousand SD cards using a card duplicator. Boy were we wrong... I basically had to do crash course on GPS mapping production to meet the demands of our sales department.

Obviously specifics in the implementation will differ between mapping software providers, but after being involved in the production of 1000+ GPS microSD cards, I hope I can shed some light on the general steps involved through my experience:

each SD card or microSD in our case has a unique number embedded into its hardware. This number needs to be obtained for each card so that it can be entered into a licensing software that generates and embeds a license that will only work for that 1 card with that unique identifier number. In other words, you can have 2 completely legit licenses with legit map software and cards but if the identifier numbers don't all match up it will not work.

This licensing software is obviously only supplied to authorised OEMs or suppliers such as ours. The license for this licensing software is highly secure involving encrypted certificates and each time a license or a batch of licenses is generated it contacts a central authentication server on the mapping company's end to authorise the generation of the licenses. This allows them to keep count of how many licenses we are generating so that they can bill us accordingly. These requests must also only come from a computer IP address approved by the central server.

So... after all that is said and done. There is 1 solution that may work and it is a big maybe. That is for all you owners of legit cards, albeit out of date - your SD cards will probably have a license file in there somewhere. That license file will ONLY work with that SD card. So what you may be able to do, is try to locate that license file and make a copy of it (and the entire contents of the card too for good measure). Then, if you are able to get a complete copy of the latest, up to date maps, copy them all on to your existing SD card over-writing the old maps. Then copy your original license back on to the card.

If the license has been obfuscated or otherwise embedded into a part of the SD card that cannot be read by a regular card reader and computer you are SOL. I'm sure someone somewhere with lots of time, resources and computer wizardy could manage it if he wanted but it would be a very difficult task for something you may be able to get free...

Last edited by rand0mn00b; 05-07-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #34
Myoldhk
Starter Motor

There are a few forums available Gpsunderground.com and fixmygps.com
There saying that the fords are running whereis maps and the units are running primo igo8 how to setup im not sure that was 5min research tho.

I BLAME PREDICTIVE TEXT FOR MY SPELLING
Myoldhk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #35
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b View Post
I'm afraid it's not as easy as just copying the contents of someone else's SD card on to your's...

With everyone owning a computer and the widespread use of forums like these combined with the ease and low cost in which SD cards can be purchased, GPS mapping companies have had to step up the measures to prevent map piracy. While the cost of GPS hardware is continually dropping, map software is still making these companies relatively good money, especially in comparison to the cost of producing and shipping hardware.

I work in technical services for a company that distributes after market car head units and we recently released a line of head units under our own house brand that include GPS mapping. We too thought it was a case of just copying some files to a thousand SD cards using a card duplicator. Boy were we wrong... I basically had to do crash course on GPS mapping production to meet the demands of our sales department.

Obviously specifics in the implementation will differ between mapping software providers, but after being involved in the production of 1000+ GPS microSD cards, I hope I can shed some light on the general steps involved through my experience:

each SD card or microSD in our case has a unique number embedded into its hardware. This number needs to be obtained for each card so that it can be entered into a licensing software that generates and embeds a license that will only work for that 1 card with that unique identifier number. In other words, you can have 2 completely legit licenses with legit map software and cards but if the identifier numbers don't all match up it will not work.

This licensing software is obviously only supplied to authorised OEMs or suppliers such as ours. The license for this licensing software is highly secure involving encrypted certificates and each time a license or a batch of licenses is generated it contacts a central authentication server on the mapping company's end to authorise the generation of the licenses. This allows them to keep count of how many licenses we are generating so that they can bill us accordingly. These requests must also only come from a computer IP address approved by the central server.

So... after all that is said and done. There is 1 solution that may work and it is a big maybe. That is for all you owners of legit cards, albeit out of date - your SD cards will probably have a license file in there somewhere. That license file will ONLY work with that SD card. So what you may be able to do, is try to locate that license file and make a copy of it (and the entire contents of the card too for good measure). Then, if you are able to get a complete copy of the latest, up to date maps, copy them all on to your existing SD card over-writing the old maps. Then copy your original license back on to the card.

If the license has been obfuscated or otherwise embedded into a part of the SD card that cannot be read by a regular card reader and computer you are SOL. I'm sure someone somewhere with lots of time, resources and computer wizardy could manage it if he wanted but it would be a very difficult task for something you may be able to get free...
I remember Modifying a Micro SD Card for Android Phones to "ROOT" a Mobile phone is A Similar manner not to Long ago.
This Might give someone who is better at these things than I am...
There should be a way of Copying the Number from One card to another in Similar fashion if you could locate the HEX area you would need from one card to another..
Google How to make A gold Card From HTC Desire - There was an older way where you would copy some hex data from a file onto a Card to enable Rooting...
Link here....
mutanti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #36
rand0mn00b

Quote:
I remember Modifying a Micro SD Card for Android Phones to "ROOT" a Mobile phone is A Similar manner not to Long ago.
This Might give someone who is better at these things than I am...
There should be a way of Copying the Number from One card to another in Similar fashion if you could locate the HEX area you would need from one card to another..
Google How to make A gold Card From HTC Desire - There was an older way where you would copy some hex data from a file onto a Card to enable Rooting...
Link here....
that is true, to do that you would need the person providing the maps to be willing to supply his identifier number. second you would need to know where to look for that number to supply it to the recipient.

i think the only people on this forum interested in new maps would already have an existing SD cards with a license on it, it's just that they're out of date. so it would be safer and less tantamount to piracy to use your existing license but just update the maps.

the only people who may not already have licensed SD cards are perhaps those wanting to sell up to date maps for profit?

getting a free update from Ford is obviously the best outcome someone can hope for... but after seeing the licensing structure it would seem that after a certain period of time passes, they will want your $$$
Old 08-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #37
KosCo

The latest on Map updates for the LW Ford Focus --

I started this thread originally and really didn't expect that I would get much information. My thanks to everyone who took the time to add some comments here and particularly those who advised that V4 is available which is more information I gained here compared to what I was told when speaking to Ford Australia a couple of months ago.

I have now spoken to Ford CRC who confirmed that there is a V4 of the maps available but that I would have to arrange any upgrade through my local dealer.

I contacted the dealer who also confirmed that V4 was available as a "Spare Part". Cost of this spare part has been quoted as $250.

So this means that you could be buying a new car now (or recently) and get out of date maps in your car. You will then to pay a further $250 to upgrade to the latest maps. Not a bad way for Ford to add extra costs to buying a new car !!!

Thanks again for all comments.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #38
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Crazy, another mixed result in fixing these issues. Same in the Ranger forum. My 04/12 build Ranger's replaced for $0. Maybe there is a MM/YY they're using to figure this out though feels more like it's random.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #39
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
The latest on Map updates for the LW Ford Focus --

I started this thread originally and really didn't expect that I would get much information. My thanks to everyone who took the time to add some comments here and particularly those who advised that V4 is available which is more information I gained here compared to what I was told when speaking to Ford Australia a couple of months ago.

I have now spoken to Ford CRC who confirmed that there is a V4 of the maps available but that I would have to arrange any upgrade through my local dealer.

I contacted the dealer who also confirmed that V4 was available as a "Spare Part". Cost of this spare part has been quoted as $250.

So this means that you could be buying a new car now (or recently) and get out of date maps in your car. You will then to pay a further $250 to upgrade to the latest maps. Not a bad way for Ford to add extra costs to buying a new car !!!

Thanks again for all comments.
this information may not help those of you who have owned your cars for a while, but if the sat nav software currently on those SD cards are iGO Primo then within 30 days of first initialising the navigation software you should be able to upgrade your maps free from http://www.naviextras.com/
Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #40
mutanti
Turbo

I dont think these would work with our maps..
Old 08-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #41
rand0mn00b

if as stated above the sat nav in the Ford Focus is iGo Primo (I don't know, my Focus doesn't have it) then NNG is the company that makes the iGo primo sat nav software. Naviextras toolbox is the software NNG supplies to update their software - anyone can download and use that software for free. It's the maps that will cost you money.

Whether or not you are entitled to and can get lucky with the 30 day free maps is another matter though but Naviextras toolbox is definitely the software used to update iGo primo
Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #42
mutanti
Turbo

Have Downloaded Software and registered,
At this stage wont let me log in as It is not detecting a SD Card Slot or USB Connected.
"To start using Naviextras.com Naviextras Toolbox, you need to connect your device or storage card to the computer. Use either a cable provided by the device manufacturer or a storage card reader.
"

On The Website I do see going through there is a Whereis map
Map of Australia and New Zealand
Released: 2012 Q4
File size: 206 MB
Around $50 AU

Also Found Daiichi models:

7inch 1series
8inch 1series
Ford Focus
Hyundai I20

But I could not say if it will at this stage - Connect to My SD card or actually work .
My SD card has been sent back to Dealer for Upgrade.
Have tried the "Backup" Copy but the Software I tried to make ( Does Not work in Car anyway ) & wont find that the card is in SD card slot, Tried an adapter and it still wont find it.
LINK
Old 09-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #43
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to prove Ford dealers haven't a clue I was called yesterday to hurry up and bring the car in as we are closing our service centre (Phil Gilbert) this Friday and they have updated compliance stickers to affix. Whilst on the phone I questioned map updates and they were adament the only way to get these was to download from the website, dealers do not handle map updates.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #44
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajoda View Post
Just to prove Ford dealers haven't a clue I was called yesterday to hurry up and bring the car in as we are closing our service centre (Phil Gilbert) this Friday and they have updated compliance stickers to affix. Whilst on the phone I questioned map updates and they were adament the only way to get these was to download from the website, dealers do not handle map updates.
Well you can show them this thread.. I'm sure the part numbers were around here somewhere...

Dealers are useless - they need to be shown what they don't know..
Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #45
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Have tried the "Backup" Copy but the Software I tried to make ( Does Not work in Car anyway ) & wont find that the card is in SD card slot, Tried an adapter and it still wont find it.
LINK
I'd say your backup card isn't recognised because of the licensing issue I mentioned in my really long post. Maybe another owner can download the software and see if it will detect the maps on a properly licensed SD card?

At the very least if you are not able to get a free upgrade within the first 30 days, it will cost you significantly less to do so than going through Ford
Old 09-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #46
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
I'd say your backup card isn't recognised because of the licensing issue I mentioned in my really long post. Maybe another owner can download the software and see if it will detect the maps on a properly licensed SD card?

At the very least if you are not able to get a free upgrade within the first 30 days, it will cost you significantly less to do so than going through Ford
Only had the NON-Working backup Copy here as I had to Send the "AA" Maps Sd Card back to get the "AB" Upgrade....
All I had to try With

Last edited by mutanti; 09-07-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #47
MFG
Starter Motor

Hi, I have the same issue, brand NEW Focus Sport, with out of date nav data.
I was also told the latest SD card was AB. However my card started with AA.... and ended with AB. So which is it. I know that the digital road network is available (in its basic form) as I use to manage it for the State. Hopefully when comes out they wont charge for the update, since its not current.
MFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #48
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFG View Post
Hi, I have the same issue, brand NEW Focus Sport, with out of date nav data.
I was also told the latest SD card was AB. However my card started with AA.... and ended with AB. So which is it. I know that the digital road network is available (in its basic form) as I use to manage it for the State. Hopefully when comes out they wont charge for the update, since its not current.
On Page 1 of this thread you will see An image that has been uploaded. One is AA and the Other is AB.
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #49
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are optimistic about them not charging for updates.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #50
rand0mn00b

If it's less than 30 days since you initiated your maps, want to see if a free upgrade is offered using Naviextras Toolbox? https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/downloads
Old 11-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #51
mickcoz

There's another thread talking about FG sat nav updates here
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11391407

Updating Sat Nav maps in FG

When I spoke to Ford customer care they said the update for the 2012 FG MK2 was due out soon.

I'm sure I read somewhere in the manual that Ford is going to provide updates as part of warranty so that should mean free.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk 2
mickcoz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #52
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:

New "AB" Card arrived today.
I have connected it to PC and ran Naviextras toolbox
it still wont see the Card, No Device connected.
Have tried both the built in SD on Computer and A USB SD Adapter.
Old 13-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #53
rand0mn00b

Quote:
New "AB" Card arrived today.
I have connected it to PC and ran Naviextras toolbox
it still wont see the Card, No Device connected.
Have tried both the built in SD on Computer and A USB SD Adapter.
argh that's a shame =\
Old 14-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #54
mutanti
Turbo

And Went to Melbourne this weekend, just got back, Nagambie Bypass Still Wasn't on it, The Construction there began around December 2009... !!!
I would have thought it would have at least been a "Proposed Road" On the Display or Something....
Sounds Like "AB" Isn't much Better...
I did notice the Speed Limit is now showing on Most Roads all round that we were on tho. Even then I wouldn't Trust it ...
Will have to see if the Other Local roads the "AA" did not have have appeared as yet...
So I Wonder how old the "AC" Maps Are....
Old 14-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #55
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, encouraging, think I may just give up on this.
Old 14-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #56
aaaaplay

Has anyone tired making a cloan of the SD card to a generic type card (e.g. san disk, transcend, etc) making a cloan would copy all the hidden files too (e.g. licensing files) due to it making a duplicate.
Heres a tutorial on how to do it:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-mac-or-linux/
aaaaplay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #57
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaplay View Post
Has anyone tired making a cloan of the SD card to a generic type card (e.g. san disk, transcend, etc) making a cloan would copy all the hidden files too (e.g. licensing files) due to it making a duplicate.
Heres a tutorial on how to do it:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-mac-or-linux/
Have Attempted making a Clone with GParted Live boot Disk and it Does not Work...
Old 14-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #58
MFG
Starter Motor

Quote:
And Went to Melbourne this weekend, just got back, Nagambie Bypass Still Wasn't on it, The Construction there began around December 2009... !!!
I would have thought it would have at least been a "Proposed Road" On the Display or Something....
Sounds Like "AB" Isn't much Better...
I did notice the Speed Limit is now showing on Most Roads all round that we were on tho. Even then I wouldn't Trust it ...
Will have to see if the Other Local roads the "AA" did not have have appeared as yet...
So I Wonder how old the "AC" Maps Are....

It sad to think that they can't get their act together, I guess I mean the provider of data. I was involved in collecting and managing the digital road network in Tasmania, also had good contact with the other States, and I know the effort that went into collecting and up dating the base data. Generally not older than 2 mths at the most. Other major vendors of GPS system have fairly good data, why not Ford's providers??
MFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #59
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect the problem is not with the provider of the digital map but rather the need for Ford to convert this to suit their software in the satnav units
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #60
mutanti
Turbo

Ford Either Need to get their Act together and Get these maps up to Scratch themselves or give us the Software so users of the Satnav can setup Some online system where the People who Purchase a Car from the for $30k + etc can update them ourselves....
I believe that as we Have paid for the Satnav within the vehicle we should be Entitled to be able to update If, The naviextras toolbox is a good example if it worked.... Imagine in 5 - 10 years they would be useless..... Not far from it now with any new estates..