Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-04-2006, 12:54 AM   #61
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Pretty sure the US Focus has a different engine... some things are slightly different.

As for the Zetec... it is a name given to the "sporty" varients of the Focus.

The LR Zetec had a Zetec engine... they soon changed to the Duratec engine in the LS Zetec... Confusing, but if you knew alot about the Focus you would understand.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #62
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Yes there are differences. Many many differences. Mainly to do with US pollution laws. From memory, Timmeh had issues with intakes, (and strut bars????) from the US as they wouldn't clear certain engine parts.

Very touchy FRA. Brushed up on your maths yet?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #63
FRA
Mr Focus

Our strut brace went on with no problem
Our Oz Focus here 130hp = 96kw
The supercharger is 220hp =164kw, your adding on 220hp to your stock engine
All of this = 350Hp=260kw, give or take on the dyno. It'll be well over 200kw
I was on the ph today talking about this supercharger and told the person, you'll have alot of problem getting the high performance shop to fit it on and do what they have to do.
If people wants to make there Focus go hard and fast, get a 400hp=298kw turbo and that is the biggest you can fit onto a stock standard Focus
So I agree with you there about updating the computer,fuel, etc. about the supercharger
Are you talking about the air intake or manifold?
As for the pollution laws
We sell the shorty header as well and it bolts on to your shock exhaust or
we sell the 4-2-1 header just like every other dealer does for other makes and models.

You do have a right to question our parts
If people want high performance car, they should of goten a different car.
thats the best we can offer everyone in this forum and I'm sorry its not good enough for your liking.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #64
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Removal of the catalytic convertor puts you in the risk of getting a $15k fine from the EPA...
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #65
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
Our strut brace went on with no problem
Our Oz Focus here 130hp = 96kw
The supercharger is 220hp =164kw, your adding on 220hp to your stock engine
Are you sure? I think you misunderstood your source, i think it means it brings the total power output from 96kw to 164kw...

Either that or you overstate your power figures worse than Boss Audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.magnacharger.com/sc-focus.htm
Boost power level up to 220hp
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #66
FRA
Mr Focus

You can put on the shorty header and it doesnt remove of the catalytic convertor.
The cops can't do the pollution testing on the side of the road, it all has to be done in a workshop etc so it can be tested.
You can upgrade your Zetec engine, exhaust and go all out and make around 200Hp
There no other way to make hp gain if you want to go all out.
If people want big power gain, xr6/tor8 is the way to go
I tell people about the pollution laws and its up to them what they want in the end.
If people want max hp, changing the exhaust won't do alot.
You have to change the header and the manifold etc to make alot of hp gain.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #67
FRA
Mr Focus

thats what it tell me in our dealer book
I could be wrong
Its not worth getting
your better off with a turbo
Old 04-04-2006, 09:23 PM   #68
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
If people wants to make there Focus go hard and fast, get a 400hp=298kw turbo and that is the biggest you can fit onto a stock standard Focus
What the?! 298kw out of a 2.0L Turbo? You suuuuuurrreeee about that?! I mean, most 2.0L Turbo engines are edging 160kw at the moment. The XR5T is 2.5L Turbo with 165kw (I think). Also, VERY much doubt the body/mechanicals would be able to put 300kw down to the ground.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 04-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #69
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

300kW sounds abit much. WRC cars only make about what... 250kW?

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 10:14 PM   #70
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People 300kw is easily possible. Evo FQ400 has 300kw and it comes with a factory waranty from a 2L turbo
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #71
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check out ffoc.co.uk from memory there are plenty of people that have got big power (over 300kw) out of their focus's.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #72
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I'm sure they did more then just bolt on a Turbo.

Compression ratio would be played with, pretty sure you would need a bigger fuel pump, along with upgrading the car to achieve traction.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #73
melbzetec

I'm sorry Rob, but the basis of any good business is trust.
And every time you open your mouth on figures you make a goose of yourself.
Black LS is right. Those supercharger figures are for total engine power, not what power they add.
Do your bloody homework.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #74
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Do your bloody homework.
:

Old 05-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #75
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FRA: Think you should quit while you are behind, and start from scratch under a new username. Because we will probably give you hell. You have shot off big numbers, sprouting even bigger gains, Strange that your maths doesnt calculate. Funninly Enough, I was reading an old Motor Hot Tuner last night where they had a Focus Zetec which had a custom turbo kit on it...... I think you should Read that, and move forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
:
Just like an old Bon Jovi song............
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #76
FRA
Mr Focus

I know it can be done.
In fast fours mag, there was a Focus sedan with a turbo 300kw and it wasn't that long ago.
Good to see other people on here 100% agree with me.
Down the 1/4 mile Foucs in the US are doing 14.44sec @ 97mile and thats with a small turbo.
Go Down to your performance shop and ask them whats the biggest turbo to fit on a Focus and get the engine tested to see how far it can be push.
The XR5 Focus has a small turbo
Just like any car with a after market turbo, other thing around or in the engine has to be upgrade.
I'm not going anywhere.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #77
BlackLS

And the only reason they have a small turbo is so there is MORE BOOST AROUND THE WHOLE REV RANGE. If you put a big turbo on a Focus, it may only be half spooled at redline!

Considering you thought there was going to be a non-turbo XR5, you wouldn't be the first person I'd send my car to for a engine upgrade.. Until you can physically bring your Focus, or a customers Focus, fitted with the stated parts and get it dyno'ed to show the output you quoted, I'm not going to believe a word.

Do you actually own a Focus?

Could you tell me the brand and specs of the superchagers or turbos you distribute?
Old 05-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #78
BlackLS

Heres a dyno near you just incase you needed help finding one. There a site sponsor.
http://fordforums.com.au/member.php?userid=1254
Old 05-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #79
melbzetec

[QUOTE=FRA]
Just like any car with a after market turbo, other thing around or in the engine has to be upgrade.
QUOTE]

Could you also take some English lessons when brushing up on your maths?
Half your posts are unintelligble.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #80
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

C'mon guys lets keep it friendly shall we? I realise that much of the criticism is warranted, but let’s not be nasty about it. I agree that there is, shall we say, room for improvement in the Maths and English department, but English could well be this person’s second language. I think this needs to be considered before launching into a full blown character assassination.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #81
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hm... i have an idea.... FRA, how much would it cost to make my focus 300kw? remember... i'm gonna hold you to whatever price you say....
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #82
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ummm someone post the website link please.

"Hate it or love,the underdogs on top"
GT-P 738 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #83
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
hm... i have an idea.... FRA, how much would it cost to make my focus 300kw? remember... i'm gonna hold you to whatever price you say....
Zetec20: You should also ask for a 100,000km warranty as well. That way you can be assured reliability. 300kw would more than likely be like driving a Nissan EXA Turbo... or a Cordia.... Peaky S.O.B.

A Driveable and quick Focus would only need 160-180 KW, which is plenty in a FWD Turbo Car. If Focus was AWD, then the Sky's the limit........

FRA: Sorry if you think i am hassling you, Im a numbers man, I consider myself to very rarely if ever get anything wrong with numbers. If your mathematical ability was undone by a grammatical error, then that would explain some things....

As to the Left Hand Drive stuff.... Try This Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA Website
Please note: for left hand drive, you can turn the 2 gauge pod to the in the right hand side but it won't fit as nice. this is what I have done to my Focus, 3 pod on the left hand side and 2 pod on the right hand side
{images Dismantled}

Last edited by Martyvan; 05-04-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:45 PM   #84
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
C'mon guys lets keep it friendly shall we? I realise that much of the criticism is warranted, but let’s not be nasty about it. I agree that there is, shall we say, room for improvement in the Maths and English department, but English could well be this person’s second language. I think this needs to be considered before launching into a full blown character assassination.

Yeh, fair call.

BUT this guy is using the Forums to try and sell stuff (which actually isn't allowed under the Forum conditions unless you're a sponsor) And he wasn't a particularly active member prior to spruiking his business

So there is higher duty of care IMHO. Any of us can come on here and make ratbag claims, and mangle the language, and have a bit of fun about it. And we do a fair bit of that!!! But when you are selling stuff, and making patently wrong claims, you need to be very careful. Fair Trading could have a field day with this bloke.

And frankly, people were a bit kinder earlier on, but never any apology, never a "woops, sorry guys, I got it wrong". Always bluster and b/s, and "you don't know what you are talking about" type attitude. Funny way to build trust with potential customers, as I keep trying to point out to him. Particularly to enthusiasts who do know something about Ford Focus

I think if we wiped the slate clean, and he started again, it might be better for everyone

Old 06-04-2006, 08:44 AM   #85
FRA
Mr Focus

You would have to see your performance dealer
We don't sell turbo.
We own 2 Ford Focus.
I'll have to prove to everyone in here that the US Focus parts fit on our Foucs over here.
We haven't had any problem with parts fitting on at all.
Everyone in this forums wants high performance out of there Focus and even me saying you can get 180Hp n/a upgrading your engine and exhaust.
If you still don't beleive me, but you still want high performance and you don't like what we are selling at all
You should get a xr6/t-8 if you want high performance.
To get 180hp+ out of your Focus, you need to upgrade everything on your engine
Just by adding on a air intake and new exhaust won't do alot at all.
Anyone here is welcome to call me
Old 06-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #86
FRA
Mr Focus

[QUOTE=melbzetec]Yeh, fair call.

BUT this guy is using the Forums to try and sell stuff (which actually isn't allowed under the Forum conditions unless you're a sponsor) And he wasn't a particularly active member prior to spruiking his business

And frankly, people were a bit kinder earlier on, but never any apology, never a "woops, sorry guys, I got it wrong". Always bluster and b/s, and "you don't know what you are talking about" type attitude.

Hey guys. You don't know me and haven't heard from me before. I am Lorraine the other half of FRA. I have just read some of the posts on here and frankly am a little shocked at the slanderous approach to some of them.

Firstly I just want to say the reason Rob joined this Forum wasn't purely out of self interest, but to enjoy the positive aspects of having people to talk with, about a car he loves. We spent a lot of time looking around for a Forum who actually knew what they were talking about and when we finally found one we were very excited. Despite what melbzetec might think, we spend a lot of time discussing all of what Rob reads in the posts.

After re-reading the posts here so I can catch up on everything, I am finding it difficult to understand why there is such a dilema on grammar? Sure some of the verbalisation might be lost in translation but the general ideas are there and we just assumed that such intelligent people as yourselves would know and understand the logistics. So I deeply apologise for any errors made in the previous posts.

We do love feedback and we are glad to have people who know and understand the Focus. For myself I am new to the Focus but Rob has owned one since 2003 and has put a lot of time and energy(and money...lol) into it. WE bought our hatch only last year and I already do not recognise it. The looks and questions we get everyday is phenomenal.

I am only learning about the outputs the Focus can achieve and may I please assure you that the dealers we talk to here and overseas have assured us the HP Rob has been talking about is achievable.

We apologise about the supercharger. It was a misunderstanding on our behalf. It will bolt onto the engine but finding someone within Australia to actually do this for you is a big problem. This is why we won't be selling it.

The parts you see on our site, have actually been put onto both of our Focus 2003 and 2005 and so far we have done this ourselves. They do fit even though they are from the States because it is the same engine and drivetrain clutch. We have taken some pictures and will be posting them on the site soon so you will all be able to see what we have done so far. They are just the basic general parts for now and when we get to the bigger and better things we too will be looking for someone to do this for us. We would never recommend anything that would not fit.

Once again I apologise for any mistakes that have been made in the previous posts and hope you can all forgive simple human error.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #87
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
Firstly I just want to say the reason Rob joined this Forum wasn't purely out of self interest, but to enjoy the positive aspects of having people to talk with, about a car he loves. We spent a lot of time looking around for a Forum who actually knew what they were talking about and when we finally found one we were very excited. Despite what melbzetec might think, we spend a lot of time discussing all of what Rob reads in the posts.
I do find that a little hard to believe when his/your VERY first post is this: First Post

Anyway, You are free to express your opinions as a forum user, as we all are, just not, under the forum rules, allowed to SELL anything without prior consent of the admin's (The people that pay for this great forum).
Old 06-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #88
used

just post some pics of your car to clear everything up about what could go on the aus focus.
as for selling stuff... we all got your number and web address.. we all know how to find you..
and if you could put some crazy mod on to your car! do tell us show us (post pics) and even dyno it and let us adore your focus!!!
used is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 06:14 AM   #89
FRA
Mr Focus

Can I have this post pulled down thanks
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #90
Stampy

Why would you want to do that FRA ?

PM Russell W I think he can do it