Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #61
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Running regular unleaded and now I have premium in it, to give that ago to see if economy improves any
Go to Mobil fuel dude and try 6000 premium.
I'm trying 8000 premium this week for the 1st time, Mobil has a $2 off if you spend over $50 on 8000.
Put it this way to everyone in this Focus Forum, I've been using all different types of unleaded and premium for just about 3 years from BP, Caltex shell, etc and all are ****house, I've been using Mobil for 1.5 months now and I will never go back as we're getting over an extra 100km.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #62
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
Go to Mobil fuel dude and try 6000 premium.
I'm trying 8000 premium this week for the 1st time, Mobil has a $2 off if you spend over $50 on 8000.
Put it this way to everyone in this Focus Forum, I've been using all different types of unleaded and premium for just about 3 years from BP, Caltex shell, etc and all are ****house, I've been using Mobil for 1.5 months now and I will never go back as we're getting over an extra 100km.
I might try that. An extra 100k's would be excellent already on a very economical car. I just put Vortex in. Reason why is that the regular ran out, so they put vortex on at regular prices. So i thought I'd try. But If i'm going get an improvement in economy, I will try it for my next fill over at mobil.

I might even try being a little less on the heavy foot side as well, to see how much that helps.

Thanks for the info
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #63
FRA
Mr Focus

I've seen a big jump in economy for a 2.0L auto.
My 2003 CL doesn't need any extra power, but our 2005 CL has been running like crap for 6 months, so I said stuff it and last Friday afternoon I filled up with premium 8000 and its been running like a champion, its now on 1/2 tank(280) in the 2.0L auto normally on 1/2 you would get around 220-240km, full tank on my 2003 is around 550km but normally i get around 420 to 450km
So imagine what you would get in a manual dude.

It has nothing to do with a heavy foot dude.
Its the Zetec engine man, it goes through stages where you get good economy for ages and ages then you'll get not so good.
I own 2 Zetecs and both have done the same thing. This is the best km we've seen in a long time in 3 year and I am not bull****ting any 1 on here.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody

Last edited by FRA; 28-08-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 28-08-2006, 09:28 PM   #64
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, since day 1, economy has always been the same. I always fill around 630 and find it's taking about 48 litres. Best I've done was 46 litres after 630. I'm going to give mobil fuel a go next fill for sure.

I've always been tempted to carry a small Jerry can and drive it till it runs out. Just to see what mileage I got on a full tank.

Thanks for the info.
Old 29-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #65
FRA
Mr Focus

When your orange light come on you still have around 30-40km, 30 to 45 minutes doing 100km or just going through town etc.
Don't push it for to long dude, I do this alot because I know my Focus well.

I'm on half a tank and it's 305km using 8000 premium so thats extra 15km then 6000, I'll let you know what I get on a full tank dude.
That was going through the city then out on the highway.
I should get near 600km but we'll see.
Old 29-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #66
Mick K.

I've done 20,000 kms and have used 1,700 litres of a mix of Shell 95 and Vortex 95. So that's about 8.5 litres per 100 kms or 33.5 MPG. Driven in a mix of city and highway environments. 2003 Manual 2.0 Zetec.

Since the fuel sender replacement, the gauge is very pessimistic and the fuel light comes on with more than 10 litres left in the tank. I usually put in about 45 litres after about 520 kms.

I heard the LR Focus doesn't have the appropriate knock sensor to benefit from a using higher octane than 95, and the 2 or 3 times I used Optimax, it didn't give me any noticeable economy or performance benefit.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 06:29 AM   #67
FRA
Mr Focus

You'll see a big difference in economy and performance if you go to Mobil and use 6000 or 8000 octane and get yourself a bottle of octane booster, put the booster in 1st then fill the Focus full and do 6 clicks to make sure she full as dude.

I put in 47L full and im getting 550km in a auto, so you should be getting more then me dude.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:18 AM   #68
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
When your orange light come on you still have around 30-40km, 30 to 45 minutes doing 100km or just going through town etc.
Don't push it for to long dude, I do this alot because I know my Focus well.

I'm on half a tank and it's 305km using 8000 premium so thats extra 15km then 6000, I'll let you know what I get on a full tank dude.
That was going through the city then out on the highway.
I should get near 600km but we'll see.
I live 31 k's from work, and I've had the light come on after leaving work. So I probabbly take it to around 25 k's after light come's on then fill. When i put fuel in, its usually takes an average of 48 litres when the handle clicks off. I always thought it would be good for another 100 k's before I fill after that light comes on, but I've never been game enough to try.

Still on the Vortex at the moment. Have about half a tank left.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #69
twistedfirey
Starter Motor

Smile twistedfirey

Hi Guys...I'm new to this forum, bought a new focus ls (manual), about 7 weeks ago and have already clocked up 6500 km as I travel 45,000 km's a year.

Fuel economy for first 3000 km was 7.2 using shell 95

last 3500 has been 7.0 using optimax and is slightly more responsive.

A high percentage of my driving is on highway doing 110km/h.

just my 2 cents worth...
twistedfirey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 11:11 AM   #70
BlackLS

On the LS Focus, normally when the fuel to empty reads 0, you have around 6 litres left in the tank. Although if you are running under 0km, don't stop the engine until your at a petrol station because coupled with the crap fuel tank/pump design it may not be able to pump enough fuel to get it started again! I've learnt this the hard way.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #71
BlackLS

Welcome to the forum twistedfiery
Old 01-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #72
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Hey twistedfiery. Welcome aboard.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #73
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people are getting good results!
mine has done 4500km, 10.2L, average speed 48kmh.
2006 auto focus zetec
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #74
theBlake

i get 8.5 to 8.8 for every tank. I mainly do suburban driving and occiasional trips up and down the M1. I am using 95Ron E10 at the moment, and have done 3000k's.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #75
ZetecZoom
Starter Motor

Brought my new Zetec 3 weeks ago and have tried three different fuels:

Shell 95 - 8.1
Caltex 98 - 8.8
Mobil 6000 - currently doing 7.7

Each week my drive patterns are indentical being 430k highway (average 120-130 km/hr), 120k 3rd gear medium density traffic, 80-100k potting around suburban stop and go traffic.

Would have to say Mobil 6000 is my preferred choice thus far.
ZetecZoom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #76
FRA
Mr Focus

I don't know what mobil do to their fuel but, it's good stuff isn't it.
The proof is in the pudding.
I got 565km 7.7/100km with mobil 8000, my fuel dropped when I went through the gateway a few times.
Old 25-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #77
mixo

hello all,

I was thinking of getting the misses a focus lx.Took one out for a drive today.She liked the car alot, even i did sitting in the passager seat.

But guys the reason for buying a 4 cly is to save money on petrol costs. Whats the point in buying a car that needs premium unleaded.I am pretty sure the dealer didnt mention premium petrol.

I wont be buing a focus if i need to run it on the premuim stuff.Its a run abount car doing the daily chores....

Did i say i loved the car!

mixo
mixo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #78
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

If its a runabout, just around the local area, have you stopped to calculate how little the premium will cost in extra dollars???

Let's say it gets 8 litres per 100km.

Lets say she only does 5000km a year (its just a runabout)

That's 5000km divided by 100km = 50

x 8 litres = 400 litres

At 10c extra per litre, that = $40 per year!!!!!

You'll p**s that up against a wall this week.

And you'll probably get better mileage from premium.

And it will provide better protection for your engine

And your insurance will be much better than a larger car.

Don't like my calculations? Double them = $80 pa.

Find something else to worry about!!!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 11:27 PM   #79
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixo
hello all,

I was thinking of getting the misses a focus lx.Took one out for a drive today.She liked the car alot, even i did sitting in the passager seat.

But guys the reason for buying a 4 cly is to save money on petrol costs. Whats the point in buying a car that needs premium unleaded.I am pretty sure the dealer didnt mention premium petrol.

I wont be buing a focus if i need to run it on the premuim stuff.Its a run abount car doing the daily chores....

Did i say i loved the car!

mixo
They do need pemium, but even if you run them on say 95 Ron at Liberty an Caltex its only 6c a lite more. So say you use 20Litres a week & you may use less its a run around. 20L x 6c = $1.20 per week or 0.17c per day :baby bott

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 12:44 AM   #80
mixo

Hmmm I think runabout was probably used in the wrong context.Its the missus runabout car.Which means not only going to the supermarket but also used for her job.I assume she will be doing around 20,000 km a year.

Now you guys are right if she was doing 5000 km per year!.

Just something to think about.I read the brocher again and it only says 91 ron...

mixo
mixo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 01:01 AM   #81
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec

At 10c extra per litre, that = $40 per year!!!!!

You'll p**s that up against a wall this week.

:sm_headba

: Me, walking out of the pub
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #82
FRA
Mr Focus

( hatch ) After putting on the header I am getting 500km on a full tank and that's using mobil 8000. So 11/100km that's pretty good going for a auto...LOL
Old 23-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #83
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixo
Hmmm I think runabout was probably used in the wrong context.Its the missus runabout car.Which means not only going to the supermarket but also used for her job.I assume she will be doing around 20,000 km a year.

Now you guys are right if she was doing 5000 km per year!.

Just something to think about.I read the brocher again and it only says 91 ron...

mixo
It can run on 91 but do a search on "focus ping". Its a false economy anyways buying the chaper fuel, running 95 will get you more km to the tank.

If you have a United petrol station around your place the 95RON (e10) is actaully 3c cheaper than 91.
Old 23-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #84
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
It can run on 91 but do a search on "focus ping". Its a false economy anyways buying the chaper fuel, running 95 will get you more km to the tank.

If you have a United petrol station around your place the 95RON (e10) is actaully 3c cheaper than 91.
It might be cheaper by 3c but, it's not worth buying at all.
You put in a full tank of fuel and spend 30min going to work and back, it'll go from a full tank to 3/4 of tank just in 1 day.
Same goes for that O-Power as well.
91 would be a better buy.
Old 23-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #85
Tracer
Starter Motor

When I drive nicely my LS gets about 7.8/100 in the city and 6.5/100 on the highway at 110km/h using Vpower.

Once I get my exhaust done gonna do some controlled tests on all the fuels see if they have any real impact without it being tuned for it.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 12:37 AM   #86
Tracer
Starter Motor

Ooops make that 6.2/100 on the highway.

These forums don't have an edit?
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #87
FRA
Mr Focus

( Sedan ) Just made 593km 9.27/100km that's using mobil 8000.
All I have on this car is a air pod and stock tyres.
I have around 75,000km.
The hatch has 44,00km and with all the mods is only getting 500km

I just don't understand why there is a big difference in km's????
Old 24-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #88
BrisVegas
Noobie

just tried a tank full of Caltex 98 and got 694kms on 49 litres with a variety of driving in the 'burbs. Trip computer was showing 7.8l/100km although it's obviously returned better than that. Still 6 litres left in the tank and it had been on 0km left to empty for about 10kms! No bloody service stations on the Gateway/Logan motorways...

(2.0 manual)
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #89
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i got 800 from my tank of 98 the other day...ave LTR 100 km was 7ish....

2.0 Zetec-E manual Completely stock engine.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #90
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I'm currently averaging 4.9L/100km in my TDCi which is mostly highway cruising, but also involves some rather brisk manoevres every now and then
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post