Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-12-2006, 11:09 PM   #61
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Well, the parts are finally installed, and all I can say is : Whooo Hooo!!!.

Results from this afternoon's seat of the pants dyno say considerably more torque from go to woa, and it really seems to take off from about 3500 rpm. It appears to really have opened out the top end too.

But will wait for a proper dyno test after Christmas to see if it is all in my head.lol

Sound is really good to my ear. Not at all loud, (which I was concerned about) and just a little deeper than previously. And DEFINITELY not rice. A really nice deep burble.

Installation didn't go perfectly, but it went pretty well. As I think I am the first to do this mod, there are a couple of lessons to be learned on this kit

Egr tube wasn't needed for Australian spec Focus, and a piece from the kit had to be modified to create a bung to plug the un-needed egr port in the header.

One gasket had to be created from scratch in the shop.

The fittings on the 02 sensor extension harness' were not correct for the Australian Focus, but again the guys made modifications to make it work

The power steering line was successfully shifted to avoid header heat.

The workshop boys also felt one of the radiator hoses was too close and have cable tied it out of the way. A little more heat shielding of some lines may be in order, although the ceramic coating will keep the heat down.

The cat fitted easily under the engine, and there were no problems with the major hardware all fitting, just a few issues with minor connections

A big thankyou to John and the boys at Herrod Motorsport today. No mucking around. When they could see something wasn't quite right, they simply got to and created what was needed. It is so nice to work with people that can use their brains and know their stuff. Thanks guys.

Will try to sort a little bit of video on weekend
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2006, 03:09 AM   #62
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Sensational mate. Can't wait to have a drive!
Old 17-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #63
melbzetec

Mate, you get first drive.

Here is a bit of video tape of header and exhaust sound. (Video doesn't capture sound that well. It is a bit deeper in tone in reality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6xhm2s7owg
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 17-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #64
Lonesta
XR5 eater...=P

My god...i love it. Ive always been hesitant to upgrade the exhaust on mine cause i dont want to sound like a rice boy, but damn i like the sound of your car. Whats it like on the freeway, much cabin drone ?
Lonesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 10:37 PM   #65
melbzetec

Lonesta, before the header (just catback) there certainly wasn't any drone. Haven't been on the freeway yet. Stay tuned.
Will be interested to hear yours with turbo installed

Old 17-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #66
Lonesta
XR5 eater...=P

Most definately will get a youtube account and post some vids when i get my car back...im literally foaming at the mouth i want it so bad.
Lonesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 01:46 AM   #67
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Sensational!!!! Sounds amazing. Can't wait to drive it!!!

You still have that hand polish Stock Cat cover?!! Might put it on mine now if it's still around!!
Old 18-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #68
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
You still have that hand polish Stock Cat cover?!! Might put it on mine now if it's still around!!

He will always have it around for a price lol :hihi:

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #69
melbzetec

No no. Matt can have it for free. On February 6.

Old 18-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #70
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

crap....i wanted it....that could be my prize for picking miles davis lol jk. Matt need all the help he can get for his focus....lol joking

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 20-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #71
melbzetec

OK, Dyno run this morning.

Unfortunately the dyno operator has changed software to a far more accurate digital system. Whilst that's good in itself, it also means he couldn't plot my earlier dyno charts against the new one.

So I am physically comparing numbers. (He'll email me an electronic copy of the chart this afternoon).

Topline:

5.6% increase in peak power. From 77.7fwkw to 82.1 fwkw

The big news is however, a big lift in torque across the range, and a flattening of the curve.

3200rpm: Old: 225 New: 302. Increase: 34%

4000rpm Old: 270 New: 297. Increase: 10%

4800rpm Old: 280 New: 308. Increase 10%

5600rpm Old: 270 New:292. Increase: 8.1%

6400rpm Old: 225 New:253 Increase: 12.4%

Other learnings:

There is more power to be had, as the engine is running quite rich on full throttle.A tune could extraxt more

Restriction in the engine is on the intake side rather than the exhaust side, so exhaust is flowing very well. Tuner believes the restriction is possibly the intake manifold.

I am reasonably happy with the result. Would have loved a few more kw (85 would have been nice), but the torque increase is what is really noticeable on the car.

I am a happy camper

Last edited by melbzetec; 20-12-2006 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Correction of figures!
Old 20-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #72
b2tf
not here much anymore

thats an impressive result!
Old 20-12-2006, 01:12 PM   #73
photn
AFF Post NAZI

koolies MelbZetec.........i wonder whats next......a new intake manifold and a custom ECU tune? hehehehehe then all you need is a new set of cams. and your set.....Full POWAH!!!!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 01:18 PM   #74
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bluefin your car Steve, Ford Racing intake manifold and a pair of custom grind cams and then all should be left would be turbo for you to do or in your case blower....should do it mad max style and have it hanging out of the bonnet. Then with a flick of a switch you can switch it on lol

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 20-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #75
melbzetec

Potential next mods:

Reflash. (Dreamscience in the UK has maps for my XSU1 PCM codes. The first to say they could (Bluefin told me to go away) Auto Art (Porsche workshop) who did the dyno reckons he can also do a remap. CAPA has asked me to send them details)

Vernier cam gears.

Then maybe (and a big big maybe)

Ford Racing CNC head, and Crower stage 2 cams.

OR

Supercharger

Herrod says supercharge (existing head and cams)

Thing is, I still want a sports car, not a drag car, so you have to be careful with focussing on power ups.

Note : some of the figures have been corrected. My last two torque figures were previously out

ps. Still behind Stampy's ST170 but getting closer!!!!. 7.6 kw to go

From AFF National Dyno Day

Class 1 (all figures in rwhp/rwkw)
Stampy - Focus - 120.3/89.71 1st Place
Raebird - Cortina - 81.1/60.48 2nd Place

Last edited by melbzetec; 20-12-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 20-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #76
FRA
Mr Focus

good to hear you got your race header at last.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #77
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve didn't you like the Mad Max idea with the supercharger hanging out of the bonnet?

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 20-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #78
melbzetec

Adam, I don't like to pinch other blokes ideas.....so I'll leave the supercharger sticking out of the bonnet for you to do!!!!!LOL

Alternatively (and cheaper) just glue a plastic replica blower on the bonnet. No need to attach it to the engine!!!

Think it would work better on the RS8 .......put fat tyres on the back (RWD), jack up the back supsension, big blower stack through the bonnet. Awesome in a straight line...just don't turn a corner!!!!!

Old 20-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #79
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks and sounds really really nice!
A bit offtopic but how did you find out the increase percentages? My math's a shocker!
Old 20-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #80
melbzetec

Urban

3200rpm: Old: 225 New: 302. Increase: 34%.

Subtract 225 from 302 to find out size of the increase.

302 - 225 = 77.

Now you want to find out how big the increase is, as a percentage of your starting figure. So

77 divided 225 (using calculator) = 0.3422222222222222222

Which = 34.22222222% or 34% (rounded)

Old 20-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #81
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Steve!
Will be looking forward to hearing your Focus in February!
Old 21-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #82
melbzetec

There is always an issue!!!!!!

Got the Check Engine light today

Any thoughts??????

We don't have an EGR like the states, so I don't think it's that.

I can't see how the PCM could pick up that the O2 sensors are in a different position. Maybe an O2 sensor has gone?

The fact that it didn't come up at install puzzles me as to what has changed

(I'll have to try and take it to Ford Dealer between Christmas and New Year for a diagnostic check)

Old 21-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #83
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

I had the same problem after I put the Random Tech Cat on my ST170. It actually took about a month for the light to come on after install. After that, it came on maybe 3 or 4 more times in the space of 6 months, and just seemed to be completely random. Sometimes it would stay on for a few days, and other times it was more like weeks.

I have no idea why it happens unfortunately, unless it is simply the ECU detecting that an abnormally high volume of air is flowing past the O² sensor, or perhaps that the emission levels aren't quite right ?

Ford noticed the check engine light was illuminated when I took the car in for a service, and said it was related to the aftermarket cat, and that they could do nothing about it.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #84
melbzetec

Orsest, good to hear from you.

When the CEL came on did you have any problems with performance?

I am concerned that the ECU will dump more fuel into the system to protect it leaning out, and I understand that this dumping of fuel can damage the cat.

(I've just disconnected the battery, in order to reset the ECU, in a vain attempt to remove the problem)

Old 21-12-2006, 10:28 PM   #85
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Orsest, good to hear from you.

When the CEL came on did you have any problems with performance?
No, as far as I could tell, power, economy, engine smoothness etc. remained unchanged, which is why I wasn't fazed about it. The thing that did bother me of course, was that if there was a genuine reason fro the CEL to come on, I wouldn't realise, because it was already illuminated.

I don't think it is anything to worry about though, just a bit of an annoyance more than anything else. I’d be very interested to know if disconnecting the battery works - it seems like a feasible solution.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #86
melbzetec

Disconnected for half and hour. ECU reset. NO check engine light. Still not there when I drove into work this morning. Here's hoping!!!

Old 22-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #87
photn
AFF Post NAZI

if the problem continues lol.....you know what you have to do....find the sensor douse it in petrol and light it on fire hehehehe......

That or take it to an Auto Electrician.

Old 22-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #88
melbzetec

It's back. F#@%%$&*ck

Old 22-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #89
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
It's back. F#@%%$&*ck
hehehe i knew that was going to happen...........

Old 22-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #90
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve I have had a O2 sensor go, the CEL came on, but I have heard it does pick up if the O2 sensors are moved. So that could be your problem. Don't quote me on it.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3