Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #91
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Possible causes for engine pinging/knocking

* too-lean fuel/air mixture (not enough gas for the air present) - Clogged Fuel Filter/Injectors/Lines
* incorrect valve timing - Possible
* engine cooling system inadequacy - I doubt this very much!
* high intake-air temperature - Intake manifold is plastic, and is situated at the front of the car, and would be a lot colder than other cars. Remove the air filter restrictor to let the engine breath properly.
* driving in too high a gear - Come on! Drive properly.
* excessive carbon deposits - Drive the car a little harder
* poor combustion chamber design/shape - If this was the case, the Mazda 3 would also be experiencing this same problem, Go Volvo! :
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #92
MikGan

Well I've stopped noticing the pinging (althought Im sure its still there) instead my attention is generally consumed by the red light with the message "engine systems fault, speed restricted mode"..... mmmm, Ford, Im lovin' it.

Happens just about once on the way to work and once on the way home every day, + anyother trip out of the house that takes more than 15 minutes to complete. Booked in AGAIN next week to have this one sorted but you gotta love it, lube up and bend over seems to be the message from Ford.
MikGan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #93
MikGan

Is there a way to get more information out of this error? "engine systems fault, speed limited mode" cause it happens EVERY time I drive the car now, even to the video store <2mins! The car is booked in next week still but just want to know what the hell is happeneing!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #94
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

I'd say your ECU has karked it
Old 09-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #95
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More like a sensor, temp, TPS, O2, crank angle, you name it, any of these can bring up an error mlike that
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #96
Curly
SOLD: 2006 LS Focus LX

When you take your car back can you ask them how that new ecu flash that will fix the pinging is coming along?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #97
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

I don't think the focus has a TPS because it has a MAF.

Temp sensors can be checked in the Dealer Diagnostic Mode, steps are a few pages back.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #98
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

I always thought the LS was MAP not MAF
Old 09-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #99
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Yea, your right!

My bad :togo:
Old 13-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #100
MikGan

Well the car went in today, for a while Ford Braddon have kept telling us to book it in for a whole day to be specifically hooked up to a computer to detect and possible fix the pinging. Today we put it in for two reasons to 1) stop the red light comming on and limiting the cars speed and 2) get it hooked up to that computer for a day to sort out the pinging.

My wife dropped the car off this morning and told them that we were told to get it on the comp for a day, their response: "Ford are aware that pinging is an issue but there is nothing they can do about it". Even though they (as in the very same dude) were the ones that told us to get it to them for a whole day.

I've already started looking into selling the focus, what do you reckon I should be able to get trade in on it with ~50,000K's on it?
Old 13-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #101
MikGan

The results are in on the Red light to, the guy said that it was a sensor on the accelerator, when that light trips the acceleration system is an open circuit (what that means I dont know). They dont have the part so we are booked in again next month to get that sorted. Sounds like More revs was on the money this time.
Old 13-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #102
BlackLS

Is it the same problem listed in http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=65958
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 10:43 PM   #103
MikGan

Well got the peddle assembly replaced this morning, driving it home from the dealership..... wouldnt ya know it, happens again.