Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc

Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc The Queensland early model Falcon Club.

Old 21-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
marrog007
Starter Motor

Red face old falcon with two shock tower numbers

I have a XT Fairmont, and was interested in its origins only to find two shock tower numbers but with one set crossed out with what looks like a row of XX's through it. The one you can read (just) ,does not correspond with the little plate numbers (prefix,serial,sido,model) ,nor does the numbers crossed out. Its a 1968,JG34HL, so i have looked up all these details ,but why would the numbers on the tower not only not match but one set of numbers be crossed out , I am its 3rd owner, last old guy had it shed bound for the last 30 years. Any ideas??Margaret

marrog007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Trevor 57
is now there

In the XP (1966) I own, the shock tower number is the original engine number, maybe the car has had the engine replaced and they have re-stamped the new number.

Interestingly, Vicroads will not use the original VIN from the car as the VIN for registration purposes, they use that shock tower number.

The reason? The VIN on the XP is on the piece of steel in front of the radiator, the ID plates are held on by self tappers in the same place and is easily replaced by car re-branders. The shock tower is not so easy to replace
Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
XT UTE 68
GIVIT Rally 84 BARRA XE

Default Re: old falcon with two shock tower numbers

On the XT's there were 2 sets of numbers,

The VIN starting with JG or JH is on the radiator panel.

The Engine Number was stamped on the shockie tower and the engine. If the original engine is still in place they should match, but will differ from the VIN.
XE BARRA - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11382891 - 2007 GER Via Birdsville, 2008 via Broken Hill, 2009 via Cape York, 2012 via Karumba, 2014 via Innamincka, 2016 GIVIT RBR, 2017 via Boulia, 2018 Via Mighty Murray, 2019 Via Dig Tree, 2020 Via Thargomindah, 2021 Via Lawn Hill Gorge, 2023 Westmar - Gunnedah

Sponsors, London Fire & Safe www.fireextinguisher-and-safes.com, G&D exhausts and suspension Beenleigh , Beenleigh Bob Jane
XT UTE 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
i78power
xp futura hardtop

I'm a bit vague on this but I remember owning a car in Nsw with a vin number crossed out with x's and a new number stamped.I was led to believe by the rta that this was done to rebirthed cars that were recovered by police. Maybe you could look into this further as I'm not 100% its correct
i78power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Probably a factory stuff up, and they just redid them. Was one of the last letters of the crossed out numbers ending with an R?