Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc

Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc The Queensland early model Falcon Club.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
MattJeavons
King of Slow

Default Replacement Voltage Regulator XP

G'day blokes...

Thought I'd post this more as an FYI as I had a lot of trouble figuring this one out.....

A long way from being any sort of electrician but that said information didn't seem to come easily.....

Long story short - recently bought an XP, in great knick, but with neither the fuel or temp gauges (original) working....

The oldmate had installed an aftermarket, mechanical, temp gauge but buggered if I was going around without knowing how much juice I had in the tank...

Replaced the fuel sender, and yes the old one was dodgy, but no love - instead of the fuel gauge reading 1/4 - it was now at completely full. Turned out there was no voltage regulator installed and 12volts was flowing through the gauges....

Picked up a variable voltage regulator from Jaycar - which worked beautifully, and now I can adjust the voltage freely to give an accurate reading.....

Thought I'd share that one for anyone else running into electrical issues...

Cheers

MattJeavons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
xwsarebset

Default Re: Replacement Voltage Regulator XP

The early falcons from xk to xp and the compact fairlanes had a voltage regulator fixed to the back of the instrument cluster held on by one screw. they had two wires attached and the case was earthed to the dash by the screw. the xr xt xw etc had the voltage regulator built into the temperature guage. I think from memory the voltage was kept at 6 volts. to test the guages you would use a 1.5 volt aa battery should read quarter on fuel guage.
The voltage regulator for the xk to xp and compacts guages was from about an inch long on some and about two and a half inches long on others.
Hope you find helpful.
xwsarebset is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
FORRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwsarebset View Post
The early falcons from xk to xp and the compact fairlanes had a voltage regulator fixed to the back of the instrument cluster held on by one screw. they had two wires attached and the case was earthed to the dash by the screw. the xr xt xw etc had the voltage regulator built into the temperature guage. I think from memory the voltage was kept at 6 volts. to test the guages you would use a 1.5 volt aa battery should read quarter on fuel guage.
The voltage regulator for the xk to xp and compacts guages was from about an inch long on some and about two and a half inches long on others.
Hope you find helpful.

Racking my brain 69 XT falcon 500 turn ignition either on or start and both temp and fuel creep up to past hot and past full is it possible to put a regulator prior to temp gauge? 😉
FORRD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
FORRD

Racking my brain 69 XT falcon 500 turn ignition either on or start and both temp and fuel creep up to past hot and past full is it possible to put a regulator prior to temp gauge? 😉
FORRD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post