Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #61
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
I do, but I have a feeling the lack of the XR5 may be to do with supply issues at launch. We do get a hatch, along with sedan and wagon varients.
I think the Wagon will come, probably next year after the Orion launch is well and truly done with, and Ford people have time to sit down and think, whats next on the agenda, even though they have probably planned most things 5+ years in advance...

Supply issues are a global issue... not just for Oz or NZ
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #62
warpspeed

I'm looking at a TDCi. I hope they bring out a Ghia, because there's some features they've got in the XR5 that aren't in the Zetec or TDCi.

I can't help but think that Ford have deliberately knobbled the Mondeo so as not to harm the Falcon. They're okay with the features in the XR5 because that's a niche product.

Things I'm interested in that should at least be optional in the other models and not only available in the XR5:

- the colour HMI display,
- ambient led lighting

The 6 speed auto, is it a ZF like the Falcon, or something similar? or as good? I haven't been able to find any more detailed info on this yet.

Leather trim option without heated seats would be good too.

It'd be nice if later they'd release a Zetec/TDCi Ghia with the other options that are available in Europe.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 01:18 PM   #63
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I've noticed the diesel Mondeo only has 96kw compared to the 100kw in the Focus TDCi, I had a look at the UK Ford website and it's that way because it's an automatic. Shouldn't make that much of a difference, but I can't help but feel that some people may want a manual diesel and that isn't even available here.

Car is looking really good for the price though
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #64
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

XR5 gets all the toys becuase it's the "Hero" model in the range. They don't want to dilute that by having the toys optional on a lower spec model.
The lack of Ghia spec seems weird when it's available on all other models down to the Fiesta.
I would like a manual TDCI wagon down the track. I wonder if they're going to make a new Falcon wagon or just bring in the Mondeo?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #65
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
XR5 gets all the toys becuase it's the "Hero" model in the range. They don't want to dilute that by having the toys optional on a lower spec model.
The lack of Ghia spec seems weird when it's available on all other models down to the Fiesta.
I would like a manual TDCI wagon down the track. I wonder if they're going to make a new Falcon wagon or just bring in the Mondeo?
Dont really need a Ghia spec when you have a look at the standard equipment and options on the xr5 etc.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #66
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyweb
Dont really need a Ghia spec when you have a look at the standard equipment and options on the xr5 etc.
Ghia would have the toys without the turbo 5, I would assume. Usually cream interior as well.
Old 13-10-2007, 12:23 AM   #67
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
I've noticed the diesel Mondeo only has 96kw compared to the 100kw in the Focus TDCi, I had a look at the UK Ford website and it's that way because it's an automatic. Shouldn't make that much of a difference, but I can't help but feel that some people may want a manual diesel and that isn't even available here.

Well despite the fairly uninspiring power figure, apparently it performs well above expectations. Here's a quote from a recent road test, in which the driver claims the XR5 version was unable to shake the 2.0 litre diesel automatic!

"The six-speed automatic diesel was able to keep up with the five-cylinder car with relative ease. The automatic gearbox shifts with remarkable speed and smoothness on its own and at the behest of driver override, to the extent that while the ultimately sportier petrol five-cylinder was entertaining, punchy and easy to listen to when revving out, the diesel was always ready to match it for urgency, especially on unfamiliar roads.

In contrast, the turbocharged five-cylinder was mildly disappointing in the Mondeo, unlike its more impressive response in the lighter, smaller Focus XR5. I feel it copes less well with the Mondeo's bodyweight than the diesel does."

The rest of the article can be found here:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...1416&pg=1&vf=0
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #68
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

I hope the TitaniumX model is brought into Australia and NZ at a later date, in Europe you can get satnav, radar cruise control, heated and cooled seats and a few other features not seen down under.

I would like to see a Ghia model, only if they get rid of that horrid redish wood trim in favour of something in a darker hue, like ash walnut or piano black.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 08:21 PM   #69
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
Ghia would have the toys without the turbo 5, I would assume. Usually cream interior as well.
Get the Zetec then and pay the extra 2k for leather,did i mention it includes variable heated front seats : .The car looks luxurious as it is,but i do know what you mean in regards to a cream interior.
Old 14-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #70
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
I hope the TitaniumX model is brought into Australia and NZ at a later date, in Europe you can get satnav, radar cruise control, heated and cooled seats and a few other features not seen down under.

Apparently the XR5T is the TitaniumX but with those features deleted for cost reasons.

Supply is the going to be a problem though.

What's with the optional 20' Alloys
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #71
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First 2 demo's due to arrive tomorrow guy's! Both Zetec Diesels! Be registered on the road by Friday!!!! : : :

Who's First??? : :
phoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #72
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you were in Qld, my old man almost certain to trade his Laser in on a Diesel... We looking to test drive, admire on Saturday... any Qld dealers have any in stock for a look see on Saturday?
Old 17-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #73
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
If you were in Qld, my old man almost certain to trade his Laser in on a Diesel... We looking to test drive, admire on Saturday... any Qld dealers have any in stock for a look see on Saturday?
Hey Marty, not to sure, but try Southside Ford, they have Recently become a sponsor of the Forums, hopefully you get some special treatment if you enquire through here!!!

Cheers!
Old 18-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #74
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, Will give them a call, I spoke to someone at another dealer, and they suggested it was still 2-3 weeks away...... (was my local i spoke to)
Old 18-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #75
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel

Wider max torque spread for XR5 Turbo, much wider. As in 1,500rpm - 4,800rpm instead of Focus' 1,600rpm - 4,000rpm.

Same goes for Turbodiesel with a wider torque spread. Both XR5 Turbo and TDCi have 4kw less, but a much wider torque bands which are more important for everyday driving, especially in the lower revs.
Old 20-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #76
mikmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Thanks, Will give them a call, I spoke to someone at another dealer, and they suggested it was still 2-3 weeks away...... (was my local i spoke to)
I got the same response. As a Holden fan (commence booing : ) I am definitely looking forward to a test drive of the Mondeo. I drove the Epica just to get a personal opinion on it and it was quiet but slow. The interior was nice and nearly on par with the base model Liberty.

It seems like a good time for the Mondeo to come out and hopefully wont have the same problem as the ZC Vectra, ie price v equipment. As someone said earlier, it will def. be supply that will be the biggest concern. I've got my fingers crossed for moderate success because I really want the Orion to still have a strong market in which to play
Old 20-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #77
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

o o o yes please cant wait to drive this thing... diesel please.
Old 20-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #78
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmak
It seems like a good time for the Mondeo to come out and hopefully wont have the same problem as the ZC Vectra, ie price v equipment. As someone said earlier, it will def. be supply that will be the biggest concern. I've got my fingers crossed for moderate success because I really want the Orion to still have a strong market in which to play
I had an Epica hire car, and it only had 3000km on the clock, but it was already almost falling apart!

Not a good first impression, fair enough hire cars get bashed, but even still 3000 was a bit early...
Old 20-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #79
jweb

There is know comparing the daweoo tuscon i mean Holden Epica ,the Mondeo is in a class with the likes of Honda Accord Euro,Subaru Liberty,Mazda 6,and to a lesser extent the Toyota Camry.The Epica Does in know way compare,it is not an epic car,and is a very tacky budget car(in my opinion
)Based on overall appearence,the car itself is not too bad,but it is totally outclassed by its rivals,including the Mondeo.
You cannot compare The Mondeo to the Epica because,the Epica Is nothing compared to the Mondeo.Its like comparing a Royalty to Peasent life(if you get what i mean).
Old 21-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #80
BammasAUIIIXR8

I'm not sure how Ford can justify $3k for the diesel option ??

This is an engine that has been around in Europe for some time.

Doing the math, it could take up to 12+ years to recover the additional investment - using the price diff btween unleaded and diesel travelling 15k per year and diff of 7.3/9.5 l/100k for the two zetec models. Even comparing 25k/yr and using 98 unleaded and not allowing for better fuel economy on the better unleaded, you still can't get your money back in < 5 yrs.

I know the Diesel allegedly drives better, but it would want to be in another world for me to consider it. If it was getting low 6's for l/100k it would make a difference but not @ 7.5.

I guess it will be difficult for Ford Aus to wrestle diesels from the European market so they charge a premium to keep up the 'diesel craze'.
BammasAUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #81
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Diesels are more expensive everywhere. They cost more to produce and have better resale.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #82
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Luckily it is, drive the two back to back for a day and then make up your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BammasAUIIIXR8
I know the Diesel allegedly drives better, but it would want to be in another world for me to consider it. If it was getting low 6's for l/100k it would make a difference but not @ 7.5.
Old 21-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #83
BammasAUIIIXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Diesels are more expensive everywhere. They cost more to produce and have better resale.
VW will give you a diesel for the same price as a petrol and throw in a 6 speed DSG gearbox as well - why can't everyone else ???
BammasAUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #84
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Phoonfan, whats the ride control like on our sub-par roads? Im seriously looking at one of these but i am looking for a very comfortable ride.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #85
kocho
The Futuriser

I've got no idea when this comes out. Went down to my Ford dealer and they didnt have any - purely just drove past. When is it actually at dealerships?

Oh, and Ford had better have some advertising (and good advertising) for the Mondeo.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #86
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BammasAUIIIXR8
VW will give you a diesel for the same price as a petrol and throw in a 6 speed DSG gearbox as well - why can't everyone else ???
That’s not quite correct actually. Take for example the Golf GT Sport TDI that I test drove yesterday (beautiful car and bloody quick for an oiler). VW want $2500 more for the diesel version, and when you consider that the petrol version is both turbo charged and supercharged, it makes it even harder to swallow. I mean surely the diesel donk can’t cost more to produce than the incredibly high tech twin charger?

Still, if I do get one, I’ll go the diesel option as it’s still considerably better on juice and remaps to 430 Nm! Also, the DSG box comes at a $2300 premium over the 6 speed manual (it’s very impressive for an auto too).
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #87
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
Phoonfan, whats the ride control like on our sub-par roads? Im seriously looking at one of these but i am looking for a very comfortable ride.
We got to drive them up thru Kinglake national park and the Yarra Valley, some good, some not so good road surfaces, all the models handled it quite well... again just the tyres and some of the corse bits was a bit noisy.

Wont be anywhere near as "bumpy" as your T's!
Cheers
Old 22-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #88
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Every dealer ive spoken to are only getting 2 this month, which will both be demos, yet again FORD have let customers down through not being able to supply these cars, and we all know demand is always high for a new product...

Dissapointing Ford...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #89
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
I've got no idea when this comes out. Went down to my Ford dealer and they didnt have any - purely just drove past. When is it actually at dealerships?

Oh, and Ford had better have some advertising (and good advertising) for the Mondeo.
Cars will start arriving at Melb dealerships this week! Northern/Western states about 2 weeks time!

Mine are here and 2 diesels will be on the road tonight!

Cheers
Old 22-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #90
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Advertising started here in NZ over a week ago when it went on sale, from what I have heard, dealers have been allocated limited stock and they're running out fast.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post