Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 24-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Possibly joining the Mondeo ranks

Hi all,

Some of you may know me, others may not, I'm Rik and I've just literally signed the contracts for a Mondeo today.

Its a black, Nov-2010 build MC Zetec, ex-demo so has 6xxx km's on the clock and I'll be the first owner in the books, took it for a drive today and fell in love with it.

Got a couple of questions regarding it though, not that it will make much difference to the enjoyment of the car!

Is the Sony system in that a 6CD player? Its advertised as such and the salesperson said it was, but I couldn't see a "Load" button on there like I've seen on every other in dash stacker.

Also, I noticed in the glovebox it had aux-in as well as a USB port, can I use one of the millions of iPod USB cables I have laying round here to plug my iPod into the USB and control it from the head unit, or do I need to buy the special Ford USB iPod cable?

I'm really excited about the car, it looks and drives sensational. Hopefully everything starts going right and I actually get it!

From one Zetec to another!

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
ian b

Default Re: Possibly joining the Mondeo ranks

Hi,

Ebay item 250862693824

Try this cable to connect your ipod to the car.

I use on something similar in my MB and it allows full control of the ipod from the steering wheel, and charges the ipod at the same time.

I leave the ipod connected all the while in the glove box with the cable coiled up inside, out of sight of prying eyes.

Also cheaper than the Ford cable!

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the car.

Ian
Old 24-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

iPOd cable on eBay from Hong Kong was $4 IIRC, Ford genuine somewhat more.
I also beklieve you need to connect Ipod to BOTH USB and 3.5 Aux - something to do with incorrect mapping of USB pins to Ipod USB. My iPod Gen3 Nano had this problem, cheap cable fixed it, and iPod lives in the glove box like others above.

Re 6CD - IIRC from an earlier thread on MC, the MC only has a single CD capability. But then, these days, with 8Gb USB sticks costing $15 or less (3 days of music), why bother with CDs at all. I used my (MB model) 6-stack twice in the early days of ownership, and never again. Just use daughters now-too-small Nano, or a USB stick on random play.

Re Zetec - is it diesel or petrol ??
You've tagged your LTD a Luxobarge - you'll be surprised with the std kit in the Mondeos.

Welcome aboard.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I've checked out those cables, will definitely grab one. I got them to include the iPod cable as part of the deal, but reading the contract I think the guy misunderstood me and has only included the auxiliary cable (headphone jack to input) which means I'd still have to hand-control the iPod - I already have one of those! Love the idea of being able to hide & forget about the iPod, in the Focus I used to have to run the aux cable into the glovebox but have the iPod out in the cup holders to control the thing, forever putting it in & out the glovebox everytime I parked the car.

Doesn't bother me too much if it is only a single disc. What I was thinking is I'm fussy with my 120gb iPod and ONLY put full, complete albums on there - but have all these other songs I like which I just burn onto compilation CD's. I usually have about five of these CD's in my car so thought it would be great if it had a 6-stacker, they'd take up less room in the console. I wasn't thinking I could just slam an 8gig memory stick full of these songs in the USB port and go from there!

Its a petrol model, they didn't have many Mondeos there, and this one was the most car for the money asked (basically brand new with all the toys). They had a couple of 2nd hand Diesels, but they didn't have the LCD in the dash (I dunno why, but that was a big selling point for me - I guess I just like toys!) and I wouldn't have been listed as 1st owner like I will with ex-demo.

I guess for me, its the closest to a brand new car I'm going to get, and its about $13k cheaper than buying the same car brand new!

And yeah, I was really surprised with the kit it comes with. My Focus was an LS (2005) Zetec and didn't have half the features this Zetec does!
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 24-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Oh here's another question - is it possible to get GPS installed on that screen in the middle of my dashboard?

If not all good, just thought it would be a nice touch!
Quote:
Old 24-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
ian b

the cable i id-ed was the first one I found after a quick search to provide an example, can't remember how much i paid (and the item is no longer listed in my bought items), but certainly no more than single digit dollars.
Old 24-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Any pics.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hijack, but will one of those cables work on my MA Xr5?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Pics attached.

These are some of the dealer pics that were used on the CarSales ad for the vehicle, I'd link to the ad but its gone now (gee I wonder why!)

It was in all honesty the first car I looked at & drove after having the Focus written off, but I just cannot see myself finding a car that is as nice as this, as new as this, and as feature packed as this for the same price they've done this one for. Because we do get the 2 working day cooling off period on used/demo cars in SA now, I signed, as I get three days to think it over before they're open again but like I've said, this car ticks ALL the right boxes for me, so I highly doubt I'll be excercising my right to cancel the contract.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D533711_1.JPG (45.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg D533711_7.JPG (48.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg D533711_6.JPG (40.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg D533711_5.JPG (38.7 KB, 110 views)
Quote:
Old 24-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks great, I prefer the Mondeo in darker colours.

Is it an Ecoboost petrol?
Old 24-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice.

I really like the front and rear bar on the MC. Quite a step up in styling.
Old 24-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Not ecoboost as far as I know, 2.3L petrol. I think the ecoboost is the 2.0L? But I could be wrong, I don't know much about these cars (yet!) other than if all goes to plan, I'll be driving this one!
Quote:
Old 24-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
ian b

Bucknaked

Cable won't work in MA as there is no USB socket.

All you can do is plug in the 3.5mm aux and drive the ipod as normal.

Set the volume to max on your ipod then control using the sony head unit, not ideal but better than nothing.

Ian
Old 25-12-2011, 01:42 AM   #14
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Sorry to hijack, but will one of those cables work on my MA Xr5?
Need something like this...As I'm pretty sure they don't have a USB socket as said above.

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/C484...ble-ipod-cable

Probably cheaper alternatives on eBay but this one is neat.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 04:23 AM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Not ecoboost as far as I know, 2.3L petrol. I think the ecoboost is the 2.0L? But I could be wrong, I don't know much about these cars (yet!) other than if all goes to plan, I'll be driving this one!
Thanks, I wasn't sure which petrol engines are fitted to the different models in Oz. I drove a 2.3 petrol for 2 years - the engine gets the job done and is smooth and quiet. Just don't run it on 91 - they are designed to run on 95.
Old 25-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I always ran my Focus (2005, 2.0L Duratec HE) on 98 Octane, so I don't think the Mondeo would be getting the cheap stuff put in her ;)

Pretty much because I knew it was designed for 95 and above, and my local servo only does 91, 98, diesel and gas! So 90% of the time it runs on V-Power, the other 10% is when I'm out and about and need fuel but no Shell servos around, so it gets the BP Ultimate or whatever the Caltex 98 is.
Quote:
Old 25-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys for the help on the cable. I am thinking about going an aftermarket head unit as my XR5 never came with Blutooth or voice control. Think I got the poverty pack
Old 26-12-2011, 04:37 AM   #18
ian b

Voice and Bluetooth were an option on the early MA as far as I can remember.
Old 26-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian b
Voice and Bluetooth were an option on the early MA as far as I can remember.
...True.
Came std on the MB XR5 (or at least the last ones)
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

nice one rick. come a long way from the ol' au!

have often looked at mondeo's but not being a massive tech fan, i still prefer the slightly larger falcon.

enjoy.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #21
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
nice one rick. come a long way from the ol' au!

have often looked at mondeo's but not being a massive tech fan, i still prefer the slightly larger falcon.

enjoy.
Understand where you're coming from, but it seems that to get most of the features this Mondeo has I would have had to go at a minimum G6E, and they were out of my price range :(

At times I still miss the AU, but the time had come to move on when I traded that for the Focus, and now all this has just happened so quick I can hardly believe it myself.
Quote:
Old 26-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

what happened with the focus? didn't keep the wreck at all? i would've been interested in the rims off it for my wife's LS.
Old 26-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #23
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I always ran my Focus (2005, 2.0L Duratec HE) on 98 Octane, so I don't think the Mondeo would be getting the cheap stuff put in her ;)

Pretty much because I knew it was designed for 95 and above, and my local servo only does 91, 98, diesel and gas! So 90% of the time it runs on V-Power, the other 10% is when I'm out and about and need fuel but no Shell servos around, so it gets the BP Ultimate or whatever the Caltex 98 is.
After some experimenting, I ran mine on BP Ultimate. The extra cost was compensated by noticeably better fuel consumption.
Old 27-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #24
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
what happened with the focus? didn't keep the wreck at all? i would've been interested in the rims off it for my wife's LS.
Insurance were keeping it to do whatever it is insurance companies do with wrecks.

If you're really keen, let me know, I might be able to work out a deal with them where I pay x amount of dollars to keep the wheels & tyres.

Can promise you the tyres are good, all four were brand spankers not long ago, I don't think I'd quite racked up 10,000 on them - Kumho ones cost me just over $800 to put them on.

But I won't lie, the rims were gutter rashed and not perfect. Still, they look good on the LS shape.
Quote:
Old 27-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #25
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Insurance were keeping it to do whatever it is insurance companies do with wrecks.
If I was you I would blank out your number plates not all people that view these sites are honest

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
If I was you I would blank out your number plates not all people that view these sites are honest

apstar
never understood why people do that (blank out plates). not sure what mischief they can get up to with that info.
Old 28-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #27
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
never understood why people do that (blank out plates). not sure what mischief they can get up to with that info.
I think it's because on the Internet, alot of people are keyboard warriors, showing plates links them to the car and general area. So if you offend someone, there's more chance they will track you down and give them a lite but if what they deserve.

I do agree with you. What do people do when their car is out in public and at a carpark. Their plates are always on display.
Old 28-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #28
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Well, if I could I would change the title of this thread, and remove the word "Possibly".

Everything has gone through and been sorted, now I'm just waiting on the phone call from the dealer to make a time to collect the car.

All going well, I should be picking it up tomorrow night.

So here's to joining the Mondeo ranks!
Quote:
Old 24-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #29
vunny
Starter Motor

Congrats Riksta.. you won't regret it. No car is perfect..but seriously none can match the Mondy for style, substance, space, features IMHO. You'll have years of happiness if you look after her
vunny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #30
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks Vunny. Had the car almost exactly one month, and still loving it. Should organise to get some photos up!
Quote: