Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 30-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
nicrobell

Smile New MD ecoboost

Hi everyone,
After a 9 month wait, I finally took delivery of our Titanium with the ecoboost engine. First impression was how much quieter it is in comparison to the previous model. Obviously a lot of work has been done on noise control. The driving experience is much different and being able to select Sport, Normal or Comfort suspension and steering settings is a great feature.
It has lots of new technology that's fun learning to use. I will post an update after it's done a few more kilometers to describe performance.
Back soon
nicrobell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New MD ecoboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicrobell View Post
Hi everyone,
After a 9 month wait, I finally took delivery of our Titanium with the ecoboost engine. First impression was how much quieter it is in comparison to the previous model. Obviously a lot of work has been done on noise control. The driving experience is much different and being able to select Sport, Normal or Comfort suspension and steering settings is a great feature.
It has lots of new technology that's fun learning to use. I will post an update after it's done a few more kilometers to describe performance.
Back soon
Pictures?

Congratulations on your purchase. What colour did you get? I ordered mine in White Platinum and should have it within the next month.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
nicrobell

The last two cars were also Mondeos and they were all Moondust Silver. I think it always looks classy and doesn't look bad even when a little dirty. I'll post a picture soon. You will notice a huge difference from your Falcon.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
2ndMondeo
Starter Motor

I am also getting a Titanium in White Platinum. I got the email 16/12 "Your new Ford Mondeo is now on board the ship, making its way to John McGrath Ford. Is it your imagination, or is that a new car smell wafting in with the ocean breeze?". Too funny.
I currently have a Renault Megane and a great feature is the speed limiter which is very handy around town - more convenient than cruise control. I can't find any info online about how well it works in the Mondeo.
2011 Renault Megane RS250 Trophy
2007 MA Mondeo XR5
2ndMondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
nicrobell

I have a Titanium and it has both adaptive cruise control and speed limiter. I use the speed limiter when driving in city or suburbs and it lets you concentrate on the traffic and not on watching the speedo all the time. You can still override it by flooring the throttle if needed. When on the highway I switch to cruise control. There is an option that allows the selection of normal cruise control or adaptive control. I prefer the adaptive option which also lets you adjust the distance to the vehicle in front. The car will automatically apply braking to maintain the set speed or to keep the distance constant from the car in front. All this technology is standard equipment that is often only available as options on more expensive cars.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
nicrobell

You will notice I have the optional wheels that I think look better than the standard ones. When the dealer changed the wheels I kept the originals as well.MD 360.jpg
4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
Binny

It's great to see some MDs going to happy customers.
I'm starting to see a few on the road now and I love the looks from all angles except the hatch from behind. The smaller tail lights look a bit funny compared to an MC IMO.
I want a titanium wagon in blue, droooool.
Has anyone got the new diesel? The power and torque figures are a decent hike over an MC, I'm wondering what the real world improvement is. When it was the N/A 2.3 petrol vs Diesel it was a no brainer for me. The ecoboost would make the decision a lot harder.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:11 AM   #8
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All this technology is standard equipment that is often only available as options on more expensive cars.
There's one thing it does lack, though: air conditioned seats. I wonder why Ford didn't include cooled seats in this sort of climate that we get here, whereas the totally unnecessary (in my view) heated seats are standard. It's not quite a deal breaker, though - I can't go past the good looks.

Quote:
You will notice I have the optional wheels that I think look better than the standard ones. When the dealer changed the wheels I kept the originals as well.Attachment 90337
I agree. I've also gone for optional rims - but I ordered the 10 double spoke rims rather than the 5 spoke ones. I'm not fond of the original 20 spoke rims.

Last edited by NX74205; 02-01-2016 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
Focused

Quote:
You will notice I have the optional wheels that I think look better than the standard ones. When the dealer changed the wheels I kept the originals as well.Attachment 90337
Agreed - the standard Titanium ones look a bit meh. May I ask what size yours are, and how much?
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #10
nicrobell

The wheels are 8" x 18" and cost around $1,300 for the set of 4.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
The wheels are 8" x 18" and cost around $1,300 for the set of 4.
That sounds like a relatively good price.
And that price would buy me only 1.5 replacement 8x18 alloy for my MB XR5 ($880 each last time I priced them, thanks to gutter rash)

The new MD certainly looks smart in the metal.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #12
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are quite a few on the road in NZ now. Stunning looking car, might be time for a test drive.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #13
nicrobell

During the short time I have owned my Titanium hatch, I've had at least four people actually come up and ask me about the car and say how impressed they are with its looks. I also notice many admiring glances. The powered hatch also impresses.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #14
2ndMondeo
Starter Motor

Finally arrived. Some pics for your viewing pleasure. Also fitted Rimblades to cut down on gutter rash.
2011 Renault Megane RS250 Trophy
2007 MA Mondeo XR5

Last edited by 2ndMondeo; 28-05-2017 at 07:19 PM.
2ndMondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #15
egosfast
Out and About

Pick up my new Titanium Ecoboost hatchback in Panther Black tomorrow.
I also optioned the 10 double spoke rims.
Old 24-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #16
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndMondeo View Post
Finally arrived. Some pics for your viewing pleasure. Also fitted Rimblades to cut down on gutter rash.
White Platinum is just such an awesome colour. That's the colour I ordered, so thanks for posting a preview of what my car will look like when I get it - except that I ordered the optional 10 double spoke alloys rather than these standard ones.

I'm expecting mine in late April - early May. Can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egosfast View Post
Pick up my new Titanium Ecoboost hatchback in Panther Black tomorrow.
I also optioned the 10 double spoke rims.
Please post pics when you get your car
Old 25-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #17
nicrobell

Drove from Geelong to Calder Park Raceway yesterday to watch the Australian Drag Racing Nationals. I haven't been to drag racing for 15 years and it was awesome. Only the two Rapisada top fuelers, but worth every dollar to see them. We travelled in my new Mondeo titanium ecoboost and achieved a fuel consumption figure of 7.1 litres per 100 kilometers. This was with the aircon on all the way. I'm very happy with these numbers. Fuel consumtion around town, not so good but performance is outstanding. Overall combined average so far is about 8.7.
Old 27-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #18
2nd gen 7
Starter Motor

Does the new model still have an electric power steering pump setup? I find that to be louder then the engine at times... (mine might be on the way out)
2nd gen 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #19
nicrobell

All the 2015 Mondeos now have EPAS (electric power assisted steering). There is no engine driven pump as in previous models. EPAS has a torque sensing transducer on the steering input shaft. The output from the transducer is translated by a processor to deliver a signal to an electric motor that then assists the steering input force. The main advantage is no power consuming constantly driven hydraulic pump. The EPAS only needs electrical energy when the steering wheel is turned and is proportional to the required assistance. It is also much easier to interface with the self parking feature. I hope I have helped with this explanation.
Old 27-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #20
Binny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd gen 7 View Post
Does the new model still have an electric power steering pump setup? I find that to be louder then the engine at times... (mine might be on the way out)
What do you mean still? The new model is the first Mondeo to have it AFAIK.
So if you have an MA to MC that noise you refer to is something else.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #21
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Guys,
How is everyone liking there Mondeos? Im seriously looking at a Titanium ecoboost and was looking for some more update reviews.
gsd112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #22
nicrobell

Hi all, I have now done just over 4,000 kilometers without any issues. It's just such a pleasure to drive and use all the available technology. The fuel economy is not great for city and suburban use but reaches between 7 to 8 litres per 100 kilometers for country use. The engine is very powerful and responsive which delivers terrific performance. It makes highway overtaking much quicker and safer. I set the suspension to comfort in town and normal for country trips.the difference is very significant. The Sony entertainment system is second to none and just adds to the driving experience.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2016, 09:42 PM   #23
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nicrobell what sort of economy are you getting around town. My G6ET is getting 11.7 at 47km/h which is say 30mins at 120km/h and another 30mins crawling in traffic. Im wanting to move the G6ET on and my two choices are a Mondeo Titanium ecoboost or a Skoda Octavia RS petrol. Economy isnt a major issue but good economy would be nice, for me its about how they drive and perform.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #24
nicrobell

I live in Geelong where the traffic density isn't too bad and I'm not a regular commuter. Average figures are normally 9.6 to 11 l/100kl. The new transmission is much smoother than the old dual clutch unit.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2016, 07:09 AM   #25
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Petrol turbos can be economical when cruising but not so good once the turbo is working. We rented an Ecoboost Kuga last time we went to Bathurst, and it just drank petrol going over the Blue Mountains.

Personally, I'd go for the diesel unless you enjoy "spirited" driving.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #26
bungfritz
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd112 View Post
Hi Guys,
How is everyone liking there Mondeos? Im seriously looking at a Titanium ecoboost and was looking for some more update reviews.
We've just had ours for a month and in short, we really love our car so far.

I've found the greatest strength of this car so far has been its overall refinement and polish. I guess if your looking for a more engaging car, this might not be the one for you, but for something which would eat country miles, this would be the perfect companion.

I've found the ride quality to be excellent, on normal suspension settings, the car manages to cosset over large ruts and potholes on the road, yet is still able to corner fairly flat and maintain nice body control in the corners. I tend to skip comfort mode as i find it too wallowy and soft without being much more comfortable. I do like sport mode when your in the mood. It transmits more high frequency bumps into the chassis giving you a greater connection to the road, however for outright performance i don't think it makes the car handle any better in that sense.

Steering is good, i wouldn't call it excellent however i wouldn't call it bad as some reviews have stated online. It has decent weighting off centre, has a nice amount of feel and resistance and is sufficiently quick as well. It isn't as communicative or as chatty in being able to deliver what's happening on the road as some other car's i've driven, but at the same time it still does provide a decent amount of feedback.

I think the car has a decent amount of power, nothing out of this world, but definitely much better than the 4 cylinder competition such as the Mazda6. One of the main reasons why we chose this over the Mazda was the engine, and its in gear acceleration and response. With the Mazda it would need to rev the crap out of the engine to get any meaningful acceleration especially when overtaking on a highway, but it is pretty easy and effortless with a turbo engine such as the Mondeo. Gearbox is super smooth normally and works well in being able to adapt to your different driving styles. I just wish it had a sequential shift gate on the lever rather than having just the paddles on the steering wheel.

We really like the various electronic driver aids/assistance features that the Titanium offers, they all work as intended and complement the car well. I was very impressed with the radar cruise control when we were travelling down a steep hill on one of our recent trips, whereby the car was smart enough to downshift a few gears to use engine braking to maintain speed rather than constantly feathering the brakes causing premature wear. The only thing i wish the car would be able to do with radar cruise control is to guide the car to a complete stop, as in normal traffic it will brake the car as intended when heading to a red light and disengage at around 10 km/h. I guess if you didn't apply braking then the car would automatically activate the smart city braking system which would prevent it from rear ending the car in front, however it would be very abrupt and is intended as an emergency assistance feature only.

Fuel economy has been average, driving in city traffic with an average speed of 40km/h as indicated on the trip computer, we are getting 10.2l/100km using 95 ron fuel. On the highway, the instantaneous fuel consumption hovers around the 7 litre/100km mark, however as with all cars, i find the start stop traffic to consume the most petrol, which is understandable as the engine has to haul over 1.6 tonnes of car every time you accelerate.

I really love the styling of the car, and most of our friends who have seen it also really like what Ford have done with the Mondeo. I wish the Titanium models come with the 19 inch wheels as featured in the UK model and US Fusion. With the large slab sided profile, i think even the 18 inch wheels are lost a bit and some 19's would fill those guards and balance the side profile perfectly.

Interior wise, the car has really nice quality leather seats, i find the front seats to be very comfortable and with the various electronic controls, you are able to find the perfect driving position. The dash is nice however a bit generic, and does lack some of the flair which is offered in other competitors like the Mazda6. It is very high quality though, for example the glove box and centre consoles are lined in velvet and close with a nice solid thunk rather than a hollow clang as is in many other cars i have been in.

I find the Sync 2 is slightly too slow switching between screens and menus, and can become a safety issue as you are diverting more of your attention away from the road than you should to access basic car functions. I find the menu transitions too slow and annoying, and they should either speed it up or remove them alltogether to increase response times. I'm not sure if anyone else has this issue as well, but on the Ford Dashboard website, it says there is an update avaliable for Sync for my Mondeo, however i get errors everytime i try to download it, despite following all the instructions listed on the website.

The car is very spacious, and the boot is very nice and large, and is perfect for those who need to lug around a whole family and their associated gear and luggage. The power operated tailgate is nice and works as intended, however i find it a bit funny as it doesn't have a soft close feature and will lower the tailgate to maybe 10 centimetres or so and then let go so it will slam it shut like what you would do when you were trying to close it manually.

Overall the Mondeo is a very nice car and definitely worth considering for someone looking for a high quality, refined and feature packed family car.
bungfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #27
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndMondeo View Post

Sweet,

White Platinum is gorgeous
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #28
nicrobell

Congratulations, I'm sure you will enjoy your new car. After 4000 kilometers I still love the driving experience.
Old 18-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #29
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How is everyone finding the Mondeo? I have been told i might be getting a Mondeo Ambiente diesel company car but will know by the end of the week. So either way i will have a Mondeo.
Old 18-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #30
egosfast
Out and About

I am certainly enjoying mine. 5000ks, no problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mondeo01.jpg (136.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg mondeo03.jpg (74.4 KB, 87 views)