Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-12-2008, 05:46 AM   #31
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
I used to run michelins on my cars many years ago, and since switched to bridgestone, as you get 50%+ better mileage out of them.... ie. michelins lasted 24,000km and Bridgestones 40+, last set on my Corolla lasted 52,000km!!! (ER592's)

Mich's tend to run a softer compound... so they are grippy... but, they just dont last :( And i believe, they quite expensive also...?

Can anyone confirm thats still the case?
I don't have much experience with michelin tyres (always felt they were overpriced). It is true they had a reputation in many sizes/categories for poor wear. Michelin have since claimed big improvements in this area, though they compare the new tyres to their previous models, so not sure that means they have matched their competitors or not!!!!

The pilot preceda is a good tyre, but as always it is an issue of value. I have no clue how much the michelins are but would be shocked if they were cheaper than then the RE001. Look around the net i suppose is the best you can do for more information or ask an independent tyre place for their opinion. From what i have heard michelins are good tyres but dont' necessarily like the wet.... They also vary markedly depending on what factory they come out of (china, europe etc.).

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #32
toddkaust
monday-oh

Our TDCi came with Goodyear Excellence. 10,000kms and barely any wear - they live up to their name. Excellent grip, minimal road noise, wicked in the wet. However, BE AWARE!!! We were travelling 100kms p/h with a flat but didnt even know, until the entire blew out the tyre wall. Because the back end is reasonably light and they are low profile tyres we couldnt even tell the back drivers side was flat whan going 100kms. Cost $270 for 1 new tyre. Tried to claim on warranty from Beauripaires (through Ford warranty) but they found a nail hole - Bugger! Good service from them though.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:37 AM   #33
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your lucky you did not damaged the body work if this was a UK version you would have known straight away I'm sure their models have tyre pressure indicators on the display!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #34
toddkaust
monday-oh

Tyre Pressure indicators. Now thats an idea!! Dodgy Ford Oz! Quite a few features on the UK models that we dont have - so Ive heard. Beauripaires told me its common not to know that about a flat with low profile tyres.
Old 18-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #35
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Mine will need tyres in around 10000km, I leaning towards the Re001's.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #36
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Im thinking re001's as well or maybe even the kumho KU36. Ku36 Im not sure of its tyre life and noise.

Trying to find out more about it now.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #37
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheels done a good tyre test not long ago

apstar
Old 30-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #38
MondeoXR5 Man
XR5 Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Wheels done a good tyre test not long ago

apstar
Hi all.
I picked up my XR5 late January 2008 it has done 21700klm on the supplied Continental tyres and they were shot. Complained to the dealer and direct to Ford with no answer.
Put on a set of Bridgestone Potanza's and hope to get a lot better life. Supplied and fitted for $280 each. :
MondeoXR5 Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 01:08 AM   #39
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm beginning to think that rapid wear is typical of European tyres. The Mondeo wagon that I've just bought has a set of Goodyear Excellence tyres, which is clearly not a performance tyre. The vehicle has done 14,000 kms and the front tyres are both down to 4mm on the outside shoulders. The obvious plan was to rotate them with the rears, but these are already down to 5 mm!

So I doubt that I'll get much more than 30,000 kms from the set. Compare this to the Potenza RE001 on my previous wagon which still have at least 6mm of tread after the same mileage.
Old 31-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #40
scribbly

The Goodyear Excellence may not be a performance tyre by your measure but the Mondeo makes it seem so! When my other half is not in the car I push this car along and my Goodyear tyres do very well indeed.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #41
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
The Goodyear Excellence may not be a performance tyre by your measure but the Mondeo makes it seem so! When my other half is not in the car I push this car along and my Goodyear tyres do very well indeed.
I was under the impression that Traction Control & Stability Control was there to help out if the driver or tyres are not up to scratch or is TC & SC are totally useless if your tyres are not up to scratch

apstar
Old 02-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #42
scribbly

I replaced my two fronts at the 35k mark and found the GY Excellence to be a great road holding tyre. I must admit having to replace the tyres as early as this compared to other vehicles I've had over the years is a little upsetting but once again I like its roadholding characteristics. The replacement cost was $220 per tyre.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #43
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
TC & SC are totally useless if your tyres are not up to scratch
From what I have experienced, there are plenty of situations where you can lose grip and the TC/SC is useless. I had a pair of slightly cheaper tyres ($150) than the standard GY/Dunlop/Bridgies (around $200).

Example: A roundabout, slightly angled (on a slight hill), off-camber/sloping (centre is higher than outside of roundabout, slightly wet conditions (not raining). Can get full-on plough understeer straight into the outside of the roundabout because of rubbish tyres. I just turned the steering wheel slightly too much (speed was not an issue), and the front tyres completely lost grip and scrubbed straight on instead of turning.

No accident, but it was a wakeup call. I had done less than 10,000kms on those tyres. Not worthwhile at all. I will try really hard not to grimace when I replace my Bridgestone RE050s
Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #44
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7
From what I have experienced, there are plenty of situations where you can lose grip and the TC/SC is useless. I had a pair of slightly cheaper tyres ($150) than the standard GY/Dunlop/Bridgies (around $200).

Example: A roundabout, slightly angled (on a slight hill), off-camber/sloping (centre is higher than outside of roundabout, slightly wet conditions (not raining). Can get full-on plough understeer straight into the outside of the roundabout because of rubbish tyres. I just turned the steering wheel slightly too much (speed was not an issue), and the front tyres completely lost grip and scrubbed straight on instead of turning.

No accident, but it was a wakeup call. I had done less than 10,000kms on those tyres. Not worthwhile at all. I will try really hard not to grimace when I replace my Bridgestone RE050s
Precisely why everyone should buy the best tyre, at the best price i can get it for.... Thats the first line of defence in tricky situations!!! TC/DSC can only do as much as the tyres are gripping! ADR's should mandate certain quality of rubber(compound/wet characteristics) but that will never happen, as it would likely force up prices... :
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #45
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a saying about paying for good tyres

Buy The Best And CRY But Once

apstar

ps actually I use that saying when I buy anything it hasn't let me down yet!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #46
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
I'm beginning to think that rapid wear is typical of European tyres. The Mondeo wagon that I've just bought has a set of Goodyear Excellence tyres, which is clearly not a performance tyre. The vehicle has done 14,000 kms and the front tyres are both down to 4mm on the outside shoulders. The obvious plan was to rotate them with the rears, but these are already down to 5 mm!

So I doubt that I'll get much more than 30,000 kms from the set. Compare this to the Potenza RE001 on my previous wagon which still have at least 6mm of tread after the same mileage.
I'm not sure what the life of a Goodyear excellence is but anything less than 30k (which is around where you are heading) is surprising for a touring tyre. The RE001 was designed for more, ahem, agressive driving on the street, and improving tyre life as a major goal for bridgestone because modded/performance cars are driven hard. In theory a touring tyre (excellence, turanza etc.) could get higher wear if driven hard than a performance tyre because they aren't really designed for it, particularly uneven wear. The 'outside shoulders' as you describe are wearing most likey due to hard cornering, possibly with a bit of roll from the car (not unheard of in heavy large cars e.g. mondeo).

In saying that, the excellence is a very good tyre, and will hold on quite well in the wet in particular. Along with the bridgestone turanza it is the benchmark for touring tyres, with good grip, quiet and reasonable life. It is't cheap though.....

The biggest problem with touring vs perf tyres is the feel. The perf tyres have much more feedback through the wheel and so you can push the limits more safely. They also work at the limits without uneven wear etc. Its about getting the right tyre for the job, if you hunt the car (and the mondeo is very huntable for a family car) then you really need semi or hi perf tyres, not touring. If it is a family car driven by the missus with the odd bit of fun, touring is fine.

I recommend taking a look at the motor mag december 2008 issue tyre test if going the perf tyre route. Lots of good data - the RE001 won for those interested mainly due to consistency and excellent results in the wet slalom.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #47
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
I recommend taking a look at the motor mag december 2008 issue tyre test if going the perf tyre route. Lots of good data - the RE001 won for those interested mainly due to consistency and excellent results in the wet slalom.
I didnt know that, but it will give me warm fuzzies next time im out in the rain.... My RE001's have 20k on them, and are hardly wearing... which is great, and i dont mind getting through the corners in a spirited fashion
Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #48
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not sure what the life of a Goodyear excellence is but anything less than 30k (which is around where you are heading) is surprising for a touring tyre. The RE001 was designed for more, ahem, agressive driving on the street, and improving tyre life as a major goal for bridgestone because modded/performance cars are driven hard. In theory a touring tyre (excellence, turanza etc.) could get higher wear if driven hard than a performance tyre because they aren't really designed for it, particularly uneven wear. The 'outside shoulders' as you describe are wearing most likey due to hard cornering, possibly with a bit of roll from the car (not unheard of in heavy large cars e.g. mondeo).
There's quite a lot of feedback on UK websites from drivers who are unhappy at getting less than 20,000 miles from the Excellence, even with steady motorway driving.

Quote:
The biggest problem with touring vs perf tyres is the feel. The perf tyres have much more feedback through the wheel and so you can push the limits more safely. They also work at the limits without uneven wear etc. Its about getting the right tyre for the job, if you hunt the car (and the mondeo is very huntable for a family car) then you really need semi or hi perf tyres, not touring. If it is a family car driven by the missus with the odd bit of fun, touring is fine.
I agree completely. The grip of the Excellence seems OK, but the lack of feedback is quite disconcerting after a year of driving on the RE001. I will probably fit 17" wheels with RE001s in a few months and it will be very interesting to see how the handling changes. But I am a bit nervous about how much the road noise could increase! I'd be very interested if anyone out there has changed to 17s or 18s from the standard 16" wheels.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #49
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
I'd be very interested if anyone out there has changed to 17s or 18s from the standard 16" wheels.
It's interesting you mention this - On this side of the ditch, it is only the base LX model that comes with 16". The Zetec comes with 17", and the XR5 comes with 18" (and a harder ride).
Old 04-01-2009, 02:38 AM   #50
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7
It's interesting you mention this - On this side of the ditch, it is only the base LX model that comes with 16". The Zetec comes with 17", and the XR5 comes with 18" (and a harder ride).
IN NZ every model including the Zetec comes on 16" wheels and 215/55 tyres as standard, except for the XR5 which has 18s. I'm guessing that this is to minimise noise/vibration on the very coarse chip seal used on most main roads in NZ. So I'd be very interested in any feedback about the difference between 16" and 17" wheel/tyre packages, although I suspect this may be more influenced by the tyres fitted.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #51
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Just got the Bridgestone RE001. 235/40/18

$350 per corner fitted and balanced. They will be fitted up tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #52
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

I got quoted $350 for 235/40/18 RE001's, I'll have to get tyres in the next month or so. My XR5 has just clocked over 20000km, I was hoping for 25000km out of the Coni's.

Oh well such is life, the missus wasn't too happy when I told her we'll be doing this again in around 10-11 months.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #53
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

the Re001's should last longer than the conti's.

My contis had 24K on them when I replaced, and I think I could have gotten a few more K's if I really wanted to. They weren't on the markers yet.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #54
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My RE001's on the focus have done 20,000km and are showing very little sign of wear!! I am very suprised considering their position within the market (premium sport!)

I would shop around for the RE001's... might get them cheaper elsewhere... and you can feel good knowing you have the Tyres which one the Motor Mag Sports Tyre Test

Good luck..
Old 06-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #55
buts44
Starter Motor

I ended up with RE001's as well, and they are great. My car is on a novated lease through Orix and because of their deal with supplier like bridgestone they came in at less than $250 a corner fitted - great value. I got 33k out of the conti's but do a lot of miles between brisbane and the gold coast on the M1. Probably why my average fuel consumption is 8.8
Old 07-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #56
ian b

I was supplied the car with Bridgestones, and having done 22000ks I reckon I will get another 10000 out of them.

Most of my driving is freeway/highway which may explain the longer tyre life than some of the others. Are you guys that only get 20000 doing more town stop/start driving I wonder?

Interestingly, my fuel usage is also around the 8.8 mark, which again is probably down to the freeway driving pattern.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #57
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

I checked my tyres yesterday, they're not down to the wear marks yet so I'm not replacing them just yet.

My missus got a flat the other day and the tyre bloke was telling her they needed replacing and was trying to sell her some. Typical sales push, I never checked them at the time I knew they were getting low on tread though.

So I'll still go for the Re001's when I 'have' to get them.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #58
ED8192
Starter Motor

I have the Conti's on my 2007 XR5 Mondeo and have found all 4 tyres have splits on the inside walls, Continentals rep are looking into it but just wondering if anyone else has seen the same problem used:
ED8192 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #59
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED8192
I have the Conti's on my 2007 XR5 Mondeo and have found all 4 tyres have splits on the inside walls, Continentals rep are looking into it but just wondering if anyone else has seen the same problem used:
Any photos?

I have the conti's on my Mondeo. This is very concerning.

I had conti's on the XR5 Focus, and I never had an issue. 27,000k's and the tyres I thought had maybe another 10 to 15k left.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2009, 04:03 AM   #60
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
I would shop around for the RE001's... might get them cheaper elsewhere... and you can feel good knowing you have the Tyres which one the Motor Mag Sports Tyre Test

Good luck..
Does anyone have a copy of the test? I've Googled without success, and would really like to read this. Motor may not be as scientific as Wheels, but their tests are always interesting.