Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default EDUCATION ! boasting proud dad.

so proud , just have to post this , my daughter is in year 7 and a pure studier , i have always regarded her as very smart , of course a dad will be byist . anyhow , she tried out for a selective school in our area , after getting many academic acheivement awards throughout primary ( the academic acheivement award ) is like DUX of the year .
she get a horrible result , in the entry exam and failed to get in , we were baffled at her low score , but , didnt really dwell on it , as i tell her there is much more to life than school and education , and how high IQ , doesnt gaurantee success , or wealth or happiness as we are taught to expect .
anyhow she goes to a public school in an advanced class there , and many of our friends and neighbours wouldnt dare send thier children to a public school , we were surprised at peoples reactions when we told them this . anyhow i have always tried to tell my girl that life is a mixed bag , and your parents paying a school exhorborant fees wont make you more clever , or a better person .
today she travelled to the said select school that she failed to get into , to attend a debate with her debating team against the select schools debating team .
the debating topic was given 10 minutes before the actual debate , so no studying or prep allowed .
she was the 3rd speaker in her team . and they won !!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . i was just so proud and belated .
she studies hard on her own , she has taught herself how to read music and play keyboard , she writes novels that are like grown up authors novels , she participates in art and has had awards for art , is great at maths , and recently i have been looking at her self selected projects , she chooses topics like the brain , blood pressure, anxiety, depression, genetics , and writes explanations on how things work, medicines and chemicals etc etc .
i speajk to her like my little girl , then see she understands some things broader than i do .
just had to post and have a rant . i told her today i was so proud of her , she failed an entry exam to a select school , then went back and kicked thier rrrrs in a debate . hehe . her principle and teachers are ectstatic .

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Re: EDUCATION ! boasting proud dad.

Congratulations to your daughter! It's always nice to hear results that are outstanding (especially when it kicks private school butt! - I'm a mixed bag of private and public, so I think I can safely get away with saying that! )

I hope you've taken her out for icecream!

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Congratulations to you and your little girl. It is great to see a Dad who is as proud as punch telling the world about it.

Old 24-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great stuff mate.
Old 24-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
84xespac
Wearing an armadillo hat

Congrates to your daughter mate.
You have evry right to be proud of her achievments and it is great to see ya vocalise..... even to a bunch of dummies like us.
84xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
so proud , just have to post this , my daughter is in year 7 and a pure studier , i have always regarded her as very smart , of course a dad will be byist . anyhow , she tried out for a selective school in our area , after getting many academic acheivement awards throughout primary ( the academic acheivement award ) is like DUX of the year .
she get a horrible result , in the entry exam and failed to get in , we were baffled at her low score , but , didnt really dwell on it , as i tell her there is much more to life than school and education , and how high IQ , doesnt gaurantee success , or wealth or happiness as we are taught to expect .
anyhow she goes to a public school in an advanced class there , and many of our friends and neighbours wouldnt dare send thier children to a public school , we were surprised at peoples reactions when we told them this . anyhow i have always tried to tell my girl that life is a mixed bag , and your parents paying a school exhorborant fees wont make you more clever , or a better person .
today she travelled to the said select school that she failed to get into , to attend a debate with her debating team against the select schools debating team .
the debating topic was given 10 minutes before the actual debate , so no studying or prep allowed .
she was the 3rd speaker in her team . and they won !!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . i was just so proud and belated .
she studies hard on her own , she has taught herself how to read music and play keyboard , she writes novels that are like grown up authors novels , she participates in art and has had awards for art , is great at maths , and recently i have been looking at her self selected projects , she chooses topics like the brain , blood pressure, anxiety, depression, genetics , and writes explanations on how things work, medicines and chemicals etc etc .
i speajk to her like my little girl , then see she understands some things broader than i do .
just had to post and have a rant . i told her today i was so proud of her , she failed an entry exam to a select school , then went back and kicked thier rrrrs in a debate . hehe . her principle and teachers are ectstatic .

It's early days yet mate.

Ive done public schools,catholic schools, cheap private schools, multi age group extension programs, REAP programs, maths extensions, blah blah blah.

In the end I picked private schools....why?

To get away from people who didn't take the pains to bring their kids up with discipline, structure and morals.

A cheap private school is the worst option of all...especially the catholic ones..no funding...

I found the more you pay the better the education, all round education.

Your daughter will find she becomes bullied in a state school because she is too intelligent.

Public schools are all about "averages", they will want to average out your daughter because their teachers have to work harder to devise extension programs for her, they just won't do it.

You only get one chance with education...what you gonna do ?
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

well done to your girl gtfpv, it's a huge joy to be a parent sometimes
perhaps she might be clever enough to give you a spelling lesson? just jokes!
Old 25-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

The whole private school VS public school debate I find to be more of a battle between parents. I went to a public school all my life and know a lot of people who went to both and are no better off then the other. A good public school can get you just as far in life and you meet a lot more variety of people IMHO.

Your daughter sounds like a little trooper. Congratulations on the win!

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
It's early days yet mate.

Ive done public schools,catholic schools, cheap private schools, multi age group extension programs, REAP programs, maths extensions, blah blah blah.

To get away from people who didn't take the pains to bring their kids up with discipline, structure and morals.

A cheap private school is the worst option of all...especially the catholic ones..no funding...

I found the more you pay the better the education, all round education.

Your daughter will find she becomes bullied in a state school because she is too intelligent.

Public schools are all about "averages", they will want to average out your daughter because their teachers have to work harder to devise extension programs for her, they just won't do it.

You only get one chance with education...what you gonna do ?

i know what your saying mate , and i'll keep a close eye on her , i know there is definately benifits in some private schools , and i dont wish to knock them in any way . i have seen some of the spoils that kids can have with these schools , and there is no harm in that , the money must serve a benificial purpose otherwise it would be a waste , and i think in some cases it definately is not .if she suffers in anyway ,she will be pulled out and i will make it know here . . cheers .
Old 25-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
The whole private school VS public school debate I find to be more of a battle between parents. I went to a public school all my life and know a lot of people who went to both and are no better off then the other. A good public school can get you just as far in life and you meet a lot more variety of people IMHO.

Your daughter sounds like a little trooper. Congratulations on the win!
thanks mate . i agree with this too , cheers .

thanks for the well wishes and sentiments everyone .
Old 25-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Scott

Hey hey! Sounds like a real little champion, you should be proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

You're an idiot if you think money buys any of what you have just said.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was of the opinion that expensive private schools bought you a contact network and an impressive school name to put on your resume....

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: EDUCATION ! boasting proud dad.

Character and attitude determines destiny, and these are often determined before a child even gets to school.

Sounds to me like you've done a great job with your girl.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats!! You both must be so proud of her and she's only 7, she's got a great future ahead of her.

Sweet congratulations to her too.... make sure she's proud of herself, internal rewards are just as important.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
Barnaby

Good to see you value your kids education.

A bit of advice...my opinion is that private school education is valuable but remember that parents can get tied up in the B.S. too. Don't compete with the parents, keep it about what's best for the kids.

Integrate her as fast as you can with other smart/affluent kids. If her current friends are from public school back grounds...how should I say this..."If you want to soar with the eagles, don't hang around with turkeys".

It's harsh but I have seen bright kids with great futures get pulled down buy jealousy and resentment of close friends who's parents didn't value education.

Flame me but it had to be said...
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #16
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice I just hope my kids (one day...) will have the same sort of drive for academia. I was always such a lazy bones and never did homework until year 12 and then did every Uni assgnment in last minute.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done, you have reason to be proud.

That said, you have quite a few years ahead of you in fostering your daughter to develop her potential.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 03:31 AM   #18
kpcart
Banned

I teach instrumental music in both private and public schools and find the difference mainly in the classist mentality of the parents.
Both private and public schools have teachers of the same quality.
the main difference i find in a students ability in schooling is in how they are raised and what support they have. you can achieve just as well if not better in a public school if you have good parents and support. obviously there are a lot of struggling working class families, and their children struggle, this drops the image of the public schooling, but it is not the schools fault. also middle class kids can achieve the same results in either schooling system.
The one thing that annoys me is the government perpetuating the myth that private schooling is better with the scaling they do in marks and exams. often poorer schools are scaled down, while rich private schools get scaled up: (like this one western suburb perth school i wont name where the fee is over $17,000 a year per student, and all the boys (its an all boys school), seem very arrogant and rude (even in their teenage years, taking it aboard from their middle class snobby parents).
the typical middle class private school student is usually practically born into success, life is so much easier for them then the kids in poor families, and the government makes it even more easier for them by scaling their marks up! but the difference in the actual schooling and teaching is very little.
AND HERE IS SOME PROOF:
ME: i am an instrumental music teacher
Qualifications needed to teach instrumental music in the public sector: Degree in Arts/Music and a teaching diploma.
Qualification needed to teach instrumental music in the private sector:
NONE (You do not even require to be registered with the Western Australian College of Teaching for most private schools!)
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #19
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
I teach instrumental music in both private and public schools and find the difference mainly in the classist mentality of the parents. !)
I haven't had that experience.

Quote:
Both private and public schools have teachers of the same quality. !)
No they do not.

Quote:
the main difference i find in a students ability in schooling is in how they are raised and what support they have. you can achieve just as well if not better in a public school if you have good parents and support. obviously there are a lot of struggling working class families, and their children struggle, this drops the image of the public schooling, but it is not the schools fault.)
The teachers in the public system can only work with the tools and resources they are given by the government.

I choose to send my kids to a school where the teachers don't have to go on strike to have basic classroom tools....or heating in winter.

Quote:
also middle class kids can achieve the same results in either schooling system.!)
That's a broad politically correct generalization.

Quote:
The one thing that annoys me is the government perpetuating the myth that private schooling is better with the scaling they do in marks and exams.!)
Can you prove that?

I have first hand examples of kids attending one of the poorest, socio-economically disadvantaged schools in Melbourne (Springvale High).

Monash university awarded a bonus 5 enter points to a lad in our office from that school so that he could get into Law.

If what you allege is true then I suggest you go to the TV stations and do a big expose on it.

Quote:
often poorer schools are scaled down, while rich private schools get scaled up:!)

Prove it?

Quote:
(like this one western suburb perth school i wont name where the fee is over $17,000 a year per student, and all the boys (its an all boys school), seem very arrogant and rude (even in their teenage years, taking it aboard from their middle class snobby parents). !)
So if i walk past my local public High School they will all be polite, well mannered and humble?

Or will they be smoking dope, parents doing burnouts in the school car park, swearing and have earrings through their nipples?

Quote:
the typical middle class private school student is usually practically born into success, life is so much easier for them then the kids in poor families, and the government makes it even more easier for them by scaling their marks up!!)
Born into success?

I Doubt it.

Marks scaled up?

I doubt it.

Quote:
but the difference in the actual schooling and teaching is very little. !)
When you have kids you will probably change your mind.

Quote:
AND HERE IS SOME PROOF:
ME: i am an instrumental music teacher
Qualifications needed to teach instrumental music in the public sector: Degree in Arts/Music and a teaching diploma.
Qualification needed to teach instrumental music in the private sector:
NONE (You do not even require to be registered with the Western Australian College of Teaching for most private schools!)
It might be the case in WA in a cheap private school, but if you ever head to Vic or NSW and try out for a position you may be in for a shock.

My son did guitar and didn't particularly do well...but the other girl in his year 12 class by the name of Missy Higgins is doing okay.
Old 30-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #20
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
I haven't had that experience.
I know many who would agree with kpcart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
No they do not.

The teachers in the public system can only work with the tools and resources they are given by the government.
Yes, actually they do...the difference is the pay...that is it...

A great teacher is not made by the confinements of a public or private school debate - a great teacher exists on their own, even without the school system behind them. It might pay to remember that they were all trained in the same universities...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
I choose to send my kids to a school where the teachers don't have to go on strike to have basic classroom tools....or heating in winter.
If you think that's the sole reason why they strike - you are sorely mistaken...I know this because I spent most of my life growing up (and even now) surrounded by public high school teachers. Strikes were to get paid a decent wage, they are after all trying to educate the future generations...and get paid sweet FA for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
That's a broad politically correct generalization.
It's not actually, all children have the same options open to them. Private or public...and I say 'open' because it's the child's choice if they engage themselves or not...and it doesn't matter how much you pay, you can't buy a decent attitude from your kids if they don't have it to start off with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
I have first hand examples of kids attending one of the poorest, socio-economically disadvantaged schools in Melbourne (Springvale High).

Monash university awarded a bonus 5 enter points to a lad in our office from that school so that he could get into Law.

If what you allege is true then I suggest you go to the TV stations and do a big expose on it.

Prove it?

So if i walk past my local public High School they will all be polite, well mannered and humble?

Or will they be smoking dope, parents doing burnouts in the school car park, swearing and have earrings through their nipples?

Born into success?

I Doubt it.

Marks scaled up?

I doubt it.

When you have kids you will probably change your mind.

It might be the case in WA in a cheap private school, but if you ever head to Vic or NSW and try out for a position you may be in for a shock.

My son did guitar and didn't particularly do well...but the other girl in his year 12 class by the name of Missy Higgins is doing okay.
I think you're taking it a little too far with your observations of 'public school educated kids'...

I was educated in Victoria, NSW and SA. I went to a private primary school and a public, in NSW and VIC, and for primary school, I would recommend private schools.

As far as private secondary schools go, having had experience with both - the private school was fine for the first few years, until a 'broader range' was required to keep stimulated. I was prevented in the 'private school' from undertaking courses above my year level, the reason...? No one would give me one, despite being a year above my fellow students in mathematics and english...my parents weren't 'donators' to the school though either - in the public sector my teachers were well aware of all students abilities. I was picked on more in the private secondary school than I ever was in any public school I attended...

The students I shared the classroom with in the private system were not what you would call 'model citizens' - in fact, they were some of the worst behaved kids you could imagine...money DOES NOT buy a 'modest, humble, respectful, honest, or all round "good" person'...and if you truly think it does, I feel very sorry for you.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 30-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #21
Chopped
as in chopped

If you think that money and money alone will make a smart kid then you are deluded. Parents still need to play a big part, do that and the school shouldn't really matter.
Old 30-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #22
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IN Victoria the teachers that write the year 12 exams all work for the private schools. So when the teachers at the public schools need to guess what is going to be on the final year 12 exam, the teachers that work for the private schools know what o teach the year 12 kids.

When I was in year 11 at a private school, one of my teachers used to do the marking for year 12 mid year exams. He told us this.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #23
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
I know many who would agree with kpcart....

i know many who would not agree with him or you.

Quote:
Yes, actually they do...the difference is the pay...that is it....
Nope, there are more bad teachers in the state system, it's an uncompetitive environment where the teacher is completely unaccountable for his/her performance.

In the private system the academic performance of the year group is the barometer for the next pay rise, not the next demand by the trade union.

Quote:
A great teacher is not made by the confinements of a public or private school debate - a great teacher exists on their own, even without the school system behind them. It might pay to remember that they were all trained in the same universities...?.
Err...nope, wrong again...there are universities and there are universities.

A degree from Melb,Sydney and ANU is worth alot more than one from a second tier uni particularly overseas.

Quote:
If you think that's the sole reason why they strike - you are sorely mistaken...I know this because I spent most of my life growing up (and even now) surrounded by public high school teachers. Strikes were to get paid a decent wage, they are after all trying to educate the future generations...and get paid sweet FA for it....
I reckon you just may have a predispostion to defending them in view of that.

I can only spend a little bit of time in the company of adults that have never left school.

I can't imagine what a lifetime must have been like...I feel sorry for you.

Quote:
you can't buy a decent attitude from your kids if they don't have it to start off with..
Kids aren't born with attitudes they get it from their parents.

More winners come from the private system, regardless of the reasons.

Quote:
I think you're taking it a little too far with your observations of 'public school educated kids'....
I've worked in public schools, that's why my kids didn't go there.

10 years seems like a long enough time working in High schools to form an opinion in my book.

Quote:
I was educated in Victoria, NSW and SA. I went to a private primary school and a public, in NSW and VIC, and for primary school, I would recommend private schools..
But you were picked on in private schools...why would you recommend them?

Quote:
As far as private secondary schools go, having had experience with both - the private school was fine for the first few years, until a 'broader range' was required to keep stimulated. I was prevented in the 'private school' from undertaking courses above my year level, the reason...? No one would give me one, despite being a year above my fellow students in mathematics and english...my parents weren't 'donators' to the school though either - in the public sector my teachers were well aware of all students abilities. I was picked on more in the private secondary school than I ever was in any public school I attended....
You sound like you went to so many different schools that you had no stability in your life.

On the basis of what you say it sounds like you went to four or five or even six different schools.

Must have been hard to keep adjusting.

Quote:
The students I shared the classroom with in the private system were not what you would call 'model citizens' - in fact, they were some of the worst behaved kids you could imagine...money DOES NOT buy a 'modest, humble, respectful, honest, or all round "good" person'...and if you truly think it does, I feel very sorry for you.

Would you mind showing me where I said it does?

Not having a go at you, just debating by the way.... .

Last edited by z80; 30-06-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 30-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #24
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
IN Victoria the teachers that write the year 12 exams all work for the private schools. So when the teachers at the public schools need to guess what is going to be on the final year 12 exam, the teachers that work for the private schools know what o teach the year 12 kids.

When I was in year 11 at a private school, one of my teachers used to do the marking for year 12 mid year exams. He told us this.

I completely agree with what you say and i know it to be true....first hand.

So....where do you send your kids...where they are more likely to pass or less likely to pass?
Old 30-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #25
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
i know many who would not agree with him or you.

Nope, there are more bad teachers in the state system, it's an uncompetitive environment where the teacher is completely unaccountable for his/her performance.
Mind showing me the proof that what you're saying is actually correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
In the private system the academic performance of the year group is the barometer for the next pay rise, not the next demand by the trade union.

Err...nope, wrong again...there are universities and there are universities.

A degree from Melb,Sydney and ANU is worth alot more than one from a second tier uni particularly overseas.
It might be 'worth' more, but is the education any different? Or is it just the paper it's on that's more important to the said 'elitist' groups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
I reckon you just may have a predispostion to defending them in view of that.

I can only spend a little bit of time in the company of adults that have never left school.

I can't imagine what a lifetime must have been like...I feel sorry for you.
A predisposition? No. An understanding of the 'facts' surrounding why they strike...? Yes...

I don't really need you to feel sorry for me, in fact; not at all. It's not the teachers that have let down schools, not by a long shot...I think people will have to look elsewhere to point the finger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Kids aren't born with attitudes they get it from their parents.
I agree completely, but by the time they reach secondary school, they've generally established most of their belief and learning systems, and are a lot less malleable than a primary school student...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
More winners come from the private system, regardless of the reasons.
I'm sorry, can't agree - and there is proof in the OP's post - she was clearly smart enough to get into the 'elitist school', and is now proving that money doesn't create intelligence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
I've worked in public schools, that's why my kids didn't go there.

10 years seems like a long enough time working in High schools to form an opinion in my book.
And how many public schools are you basing that gross generalisation on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
But you were picked on in private schools...why would you recommend them?
If you re-read, you might see it does differ from primary to secondary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
You sound like you went to so many different schools that you had no stability in your life.

On the basis of what you say it sounds like you went to four or five or even six different schools.

Must have been hard to keep adjusting.
No stability? Whatever makes you think that? I had a lot more stability than most people my age...

7 to be exact, and it didn't prevent me from achieving some of the top results in the 'public school' that I attended, or the private school I attended either...I'm sure you probably have an assumption on that - the private school I attended would not put me up a year despite the SA system doing so from primary to secondary (due to the difference in the school structures, apparently it was bad enough that I was the youngest in my year as it was, without putting me exactly where I should have been to start off with)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Would you mind showing me where I said it does?

Not having a go at you, just debating by the way.... .
The negativity that you pose toward the public system indicates you don't think very highly of it...you may not have directly said it, but the comments about nipple rings and the like doesn't cast a very positive view does it?

Doesn't sound like a debate there, sounds more condescension to be honest...

As far as 'where they are more or less likely to pass', I don't for a second believe that the 'children' are merely pawns in it all, they are also responsible as to whether they pass or fail, listen in class, etc. and I really don't think a teachers responsibility is to provide this kids with anything except an education, the parents should be providing something at least. And in the OP, he's clearly doing the right thing by his kids.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #26
z80
Banned

Quote:
The negativity that you pose toward the public system indicates you don't think very highly of it...you may not have directly said it, but the comments about nipple rings and the like doesn't cast a very positive view does it?

Oh okay...so you imagined I said it?
Glad we got "Clear Thinking 101" sorted out.

Maybe i should have mentioned my disgust at seeing a teenage girl straddling a teacher in front of a whole class at a certain SE school in melbourne a while back?

Or the jokes about "factory fodder" at a school staff room near Dandenong a few years back....seems there is a class system in the public system to me...

Quote:
...I really don't think a teachers responsibility is to provide this kids with anything except an education,
Yeah...must be the fault of the parents that an entire year level at a certain NSW school all students, without exception, failed year 12 ..

Or that certain teachers at a Victorian public school chose to go out on strike in the middle of the year 12 fourth term, the most critical revision period...for maximum industrial impact..

If as a parent you choose to have different financial priorities other than the kids schooling then that's fine....but please don't tell me that the private education is inferior to or as good at a public school.

It simply is not....a private school has a broader definition of "education" as exemplified by the Timbertop campus of a school here in Geelong.

Last edited by z80; 01-07-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #27
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Oh okay...so you imagined I said it?
Glad we got "Clear Thinking 101" sorted out.

Maybe i should have mentioned my disgust at seeing a teenage girl straddling a teacher in front of a whole class at a certain SE school in melbourne a while back?

Or the jokes about "factory fodder" at a school staff room near Dandenong a few years back....seems there is a class system in the public system to me...

Yeah...must be the fault of the parents that an entire year level at a certain NSW school all students, without exception, failed year 12 ..

Or that certain teachers at a Victorian public school chose to go out on strike in the middle of the year 12 fourth term, the most critical revision period...for maximum industrial impact..

If as a parent you choose to have different financial priorities other than the kids schooling then that's fine....but please don't tell me that the private education is inferior to or as good at a public school.

It simply is not....a private school has a broader definition of "education" as exemplified by the Timbertop campus of a school here in Geelong.
Glad we got "condescension 102" sorted...

In your completely 'unbiased' opinion right? I'm sorry, but a few schools in metro Melbourne do not equate to ALL schools, the generalisation is offensive to those public school teachers who actually give a **** about education. You using two examples of poor education and poor discipline don't just stem from teachers, they stem from the habitat those youths dwell in, where behaviour has become endemic and of plague proportion...

All you're doing is creating an US and THEM mentality, one that doesn't need to exist, and I'm sorry, but I have to agree as previously posted it's usually the 'parents' that perpetuate it...

Thanks for the 'friendly' debate, but I don't think it's worth continuing any further, my opinions and experience surrounding public and private schools won't change, as I'm sure yours won't either...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 01-07-2011, 03:30 AM   #28
LOW_NL
boo

congrats to the op, +1 for if you think money will make a smart kid you are deluded, as the op says, that people are shocked when he tells them his daughter goes to a public school ( stereotype much ). well some people should get off there high horse, and remember that you should never judge a book by its cover.
LOW_NL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 AM   #29
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
she was the 3rd speaker in her team . and they won !!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . i was just so proud and belated ?.
Was the "select" school a government high school? they are the only ones that effectively reject students for not being smart enough at the junior levels. How has this thread turned into a private versus public schools debate?

One thing to consider is that there is a high correlation between how the child performs and the education of the parent and indeed the parent's attitude to education. Some students rise above the mediocrity of their parents looking for a better life, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Not normally wishing to comment on matters of spelling on a forum such as this, but it is relevant to the context of the thread. I counted 9 spelling mistakes in your above piece, 3 of them repeated...indicating they weren't typos.

Hopefully not being too personal here, but if you really want your kid to get ahead, take on board increasing your own standards(especially in areas such as the ^ where really it would only take a minimum of effort) and that will flow on to your child.

Last edited by sudszy; 01-07-2011 at 04:36 AM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 AM   #30
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled

If anything your statement above is indicative of the fact that private schools attract better teachers, they don't let just any mug contribute to the writing of the external examinations.

The teachers that have a part in setting the exam are not supposed to be taking a yr 12 class in that subject. Also the exam is not set entirely by teachers but a panel also consisting of academics from universities etc.

You could argue that one of the examiners could pass on info to the other teachers at their school, possible, though doing so wouldn't be very professional at all and sooner later these people would be exposed and discredited and the school would then lose the cutos of having one of the examiners on their staff.

What's going to be on the exam is typically very well covered by "meet the examiners" sessions where any teacher can go along and hear what the examiners have to say about how the students went on the previous exam. This will give them the most idea of what is going to appear on the next one, sadly many teachers just cant be bothered finding out.

Marking papers is different, the marker can be a teacher at the yr 12 level. They are not given any of their own students papers to mark or indeed any from their own school. As students should only put a candidate number on their paper, they actually have no idea whose paper and from what school they are marking. There are also checks in place to see that the marks they give are consistent with what other markers are giving.

Last edited by sudszy; 01-07-2011 at 04:30 AM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post