Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Adidas Rome(s)

Mates, I am in no way a fashionista? but I have a hankering for the original Adidas Rome sports shoe. My ex used to bag me (as she did about everything I liked) about the poofy Rome's. Until I was able to point out to her pic after pic after pic of heavy dudes from the 60's to the early 70's wore this iconic shoe (check it out) and even today dudes are still seen wearing the Rom (Rom on the continent apparently, Rome in Oz).
The last pair of Rome's I picked up from a shoe shop cost me $10 . Around about then, Adidas must have said, 'damn, we are competing against Nike and etc, flogging their flatfoot crap for $$$. So they stopped production of the Rome's and added dollars to their inferior products.
I know a mate who played a whole season of first team soccer wearing Rome's, and he was a striker. With the original Rome's, you could kick the ball, not once, not twice, but run an entire season whacking balls (plus he played cricket in the summer, no doubt the Rome done him well there as well).
I bought a set of some expensive pretender and put my toe through the shoe after one big kick.
The original was leather upper if I remember right.
Anyone out there know what I'm talking about?
Cheers

2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Adidas Rome(s)

Ebay is your friend....again.... not cheap but quality you gladly pay for.
Ironiclly I threw out my last pair 3 weeks ago, used them over 5 years just about every weekend.
Old 26-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Tonz, same. I bought a brand new pair of Reebok walkers prior to my trip to England/Europe in 2006. Got home to Australia after 5 weeks and threw them out.
I reckon that if Adidas brought out the original Rome's with the same material and quality, I'd willingly pay $100+
From what I've seen on eBay, I'm looking at replicas/pretends.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Old 26-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Yep, loved 'em!

If I remember correctly they were the all white leather with the three blue stripes on the sides and "Rome" written in gold print aligned with the rearmost stripe.

Awesome treads!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
Thanks Tonz, same. I bought a brand new pair of Reebok walkers prior to my trip to England/Europe in 2006. Got home to Australia after 5 weeks and threw them out.
I reckon that if Adidas brought out the original Rome's with the same material and quality, I'd willingly pay $100+
From what I've seen on eBay, I'm looking at replicas/pretends.
Get outside and do some work on ya uteman,,, oh its too hot!

Me waiting for an ebay auction to close so far only I have looked at it.... yummy if I win will save over $7500. from new model.
Old 26-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I used to live and die in my White Romes when I was at school back in the late 70s' and bought them right up through the 80s' till I couldn't find them any more. Great, tough shoe. They came in White with blue stripe and black with white stripe IIRC. The tread was the Adidas logo over and over. Wish I could find an original pair now.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was only talking about these the other day. went through many pairs of them then turned to the dark side of metal and spent the rest of my youth in black ripple soled boots!
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Never knew what they were till now.
Damn I want some.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ebay UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/70-S-VINTA...item4ace783f1b 139. POUNDS

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADIDAS-ORI...item1e7b1fbb1c &49.00 pounds 10 postage to Australia
Old 26-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

They were the best 'sports' shoes ever!!

When they stopped making them I rang the Adidas agent in Melb trying to find some. The customer service lady said she wished they still made them as her Hubby wanted some more and even she couldn't get them.

I did see a publicity photo of Ricky Ponting (when he was the test team Captain) wearing them.

Useless info dept...... watch any old Queen live performance and Freddie always wore Rome's, but they were high boots, he must have had these made as I don't think they were ever released to the public.
Old 26-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #11
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had Rome's in my school days (late 70's early 80's) and they were the fashion at the time. Those and the hession looking back packs we all drew on with textas etc.

duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
equates to $A95.00 providing they are genuine originals thats not bad value. Have friends on another forum based in UK see what their thoughts are....
Old 26-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
equates to $A95.00 providing they are genuine originals thats not bad value. Have friends on another forum based in UK see what their thoughts are....
Might be a European thing but my Rome's had ROME (in yellow or gold I think). Not ROM !
Old 26-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah doubt they are original Adidas shoes but hey theres always hope
Old 26-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #15
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Never had Adidas. My current nikes have been worn every day for the last 4yrs. Still look new.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

At the time when these shoes were all the rage at school you could buy copies from K-Mart for about quarter of the price. They were easily spotted though as they only had two blue stripes down the side and would split completely after about three months of wearing them.

The only reason I remember this was because Mum was cheap (and Dad was even cheaper) and bought me a pair from K-Mart. Got sick of everyone pointing out they were copies but had to keep wearing them as Mum would not buy me another pair of shoes. May not be a big deal now but was back then being in high school.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #17
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

HendrixHC me too!
Old 27-01-2014, 02:20 AM   #18
zabatron

Still got a pair of these,genuine Adidas,brand new,never worn.size 9 I think.Forgot them at my parents house when I moved out about 15 years ago.Went there for Xmas this year and my mum asked me when i was going to wear the white shoes with the 3 blue stripes....could not believe they were still there as my father usually throws out everything!Should put them up on ebay.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #19
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

everyone either had blue and white 'romes'
or black and white 'officials'

you still see them floating about on the bay
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, havent heard "Romes" for years.
It was Rockers VS Skinheads

I was a Ripples wearer.
Romes were used to run fast from Ripples
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #21
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to a Catholic school where Italians and Greeks outnumbered the rest of us - us Skips mostly wore Dunlop Volleys or Ripples, and the Guidos wore Romes but only the black ones.

We called ripples "Fifty Fifties", because they gave the ants half a chance.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #22
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

Had many pairs off Rome's. Luved them and the marks the left on sand or mud. I think they were only about $20

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #23
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First someone posts up a "Remember Tubular Bells" now Romes, big trip down memory lane here.
Loved the Romes, Had the white ones myself. Was at a BBQ a few months ago and a guy had a pair on, he was pretty please I noticed them and brought up the subject. Then everyone got in on the conversation, desert boots, Levis Californians, Golden Breed shirts etc.
He got his Romes off ebay from the UK, NOS. Paid heaps for them too.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2014, 01:22 AM   #24
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn, they where the days. I'm sure we can all come up with fashion from the early 70's. Remember the girls with arms full of bangles. Winning an Iron Cross at the Penny Arcade was huge. 'Real' Bikinis. XU1's, Phase III's and Chargers. Rock'n'Roll without the swear words but it still said it all.

Adidas Romes.

That's it! I'll post a letter of to headquarters this week and demand a reissue and tell em' we'll pay good for the genuine article. I'm sure they still have the templates. Must be coming up for some kinda anniversary. They'll wipe the floor with all of the pretenders.
Old 29-01-2014, 02:21 AM   #25
zabatron

My mum is coming over tomorrow.I asked her to bring the pair of Adidas Romes over with her.I will post some pics of them tomorrow night.Might even put them in a glass display case.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #26
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
Damn, they where the days. I'm sure we can all come up with fashion from the early 70's. Remember the girls with arms full of bangles. Winning an Iron Cross at the Penny Arcade was huge. 'Real' Bikinis. XU1's, Phase III's and Chargers. Rock'n'Roll without the swear words but it still said it all.

Adidas Romes.

That's it! I'll post a letter of to headquarters this week and demand a reissue and tell em' we'll pay good for the genuine article. I'm sure they still have the templates. Must be coming up for some kinda anniversary. They'll wipe the floor with all of the pretenders.
"Real bikini's", yes like those crocheted ones that had little holes in them and things would stick out, oh yeah.
Old 30-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #27
zabatron

Ok..here are some pics of my Adidas Rome shoes as promised..I bought these back in the late eighties but for some reason never wore them and forgot all about them.They had over 25 years worth of dust on them as they spent about 15 years on a shelf in my parents garage before being moved to the relative luxury of the upstairs wardrobe,so I gave them a good clean.They should lose the smell of my mum"s moth balls in about 6 months.....anyone got a spare glass display case lying around?

Last edited by zabatron; 03-06-2014 at 02:28 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabatron View Post
Ok..here are some pics of my Adidas Rome shoes as promised..I bought these back in the late eighties but for some reason never wore them and forgot all about them.They had over 25 years worth of dust on them as they spent about 15 years on a shelf in my parents garage before being moved to the relative luxury of the upstairs wardrobe,so I gave them a good clean.They should lose the smell of my mum"s moth balls in about 6 months.....anyone got a spare glass display case lying around?
Yep, that's the real deal, I dont know what the go is with the ebay Euro ones having 'ROM' on them.

What size are they, I'll see that they go to a good home
Old 30-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #29
zabatron

Yes,they are genuine Australian made, size 9 Adidas Rome runners.I used to love wearing these back in the eighties as they were so comfortable and lasted a long time.I have seen the ones with Rom on the side too,but don't know what the story is with those...maybe they are the european made version, or just later day copies.To be honest,dont know what I am going to do with them as for some reason I now wear size 10 shoes.
Old 30-01-2014, 12:36 AM   #30
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Wow talk about an 80's Flashback. Everyone who was cool at school wore Rome's and had the hesian backpacks you drew all over as Duaned said.

Ahhh...the good ole days...where chips were something you ate, and not something that went into a computer, where a Hard drive was something you did in your XC panelvan when you drove it too far on the beach and had to get it back onto the road before the tide came in, where a mullet was a haircut, not just a fish...you all get my drift

Cheers
Col