Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2019, 10:15 PM   #31
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Digital Driver Licence statewide rollout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
They announced it will be available in NSW from August.

So with mobile pay and digital licence, you dont need to carry a wallet now.
Until you come to a shop that doesn't have EFTPOS. And yes, we have a couple like that here in town.
Old 16-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #32
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
They announced it will be available in NSW from August.

So with mobile pay and digital licence, you dont need to carry a wallet now.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw-digita...043825996.html

The state that's rolling out digital driver's licences

Yahoo News Australia Yahoo News Australia15 June 2019

NSW drivers will soon be able to ditch the plastic when digital licences will be rolled out across the state.

The announcement comes after a successful trial was carried out in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs, Albury and Dubbo areas earlier this year.

Any licensed NSW driver with a smartphone will be able to produce their phone to show their proof of license from August this year.

A look at the new NSW digital licence on a smartphone. View photos
After a successful trial, the new digital licenses will be available to all NSW drivers from August. Source: AP
More
It won’t cost drivers a cent to switch to the digital version, but drivers travelling outside of NSW will still need to carry their plastic card.

The NSW digital version is currently not valid in other states or overseas.

NSW will also have other digital versions available including Boat Driving Licence, Vessel Registration, Recreational Fishing Fee, Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) Competency Card. Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) Competency Card and Working With Children Check (WWCC) clearance.

A woman looking through her wallet. NSW drivers will be able to ditch their plastic licences if they want to from August.View photos
NSW drivers will no longer have to search through their wallet to find their licence, they can just carry the digital version on a smartphone. Source: Getty
More
Drivers who are not as confident with smartphone technology will still be able to use the plastic card licence.

To join the digital trend, drivers will need to download the latest version of the Service NSW app and then add the licence to your MyServiceNSW Account.

The digital licence will also allow drivers to view, show and renew that license through the app.

I'll sleep better tonight knowing my smartphone will be as reliable as my license card..
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2019, 01:17 AM   #33
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah nope

Still rather have standard plastic card

Sent from Samsung S7 Edge [Oreo]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #34
Venomous1
5.0 means business

I don't mind using my Pay pass now and then but my phone? No Way.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #35
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Until you come to a shop that doesn't have EFTPOS. And yes, we have a couple like that here in town.
Yep, They're about.......
particularly Hot bakes,kebab shops & barber shops..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #36
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Those will become less as the ATO is flagging them for audit.

Anyways you can use the smartphone to withdraw from an ATM.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #37
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There is no legal obligation that a business accept electronic payment for small purchases.

Your insinuation that those who do not, are engaging in corrupt financial activity is generally offensive and I ask you politely to withdraw the remark.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Those will become less as the ATO is flagging them for audit.
Rubbish, one shop I know of is in our main shopping centre that has been there for over 15 years and has never had EFTPOS

Quote:
you can use the smartphone to withdraw from an ATM.
Why would you want to use a phone? ATM's that I've seen have their own buttons and screen .

As for the license on your phone it seems pretty pointless as pointed out in the article....The NSW digital version is currently not valid in other states or overseas.

Not to mention that if I drop my wallet (with my license inside) nothing breaks and I can still read my license and get actual real folding money out.
Old 17-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #39
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
There is no legal obligation that a business accept electronic payment for small purchases.

Your insinuation that those who do not, are engaging in corrupt financial activity is generally offensive and I ask you politely to withdraw the remark.
I said cash businesses are being targeted by ATO for audit, i did not insinuate anything else. Pressure is being applied to offer digital payments to customers by ATO. The ATO is pushing for digital payments, and all financial data to be online so they can use their data mining to cross match data to flag for audit.

https://www.bhtpartners.com.au/our-r...ed-businesses/

ATO Audits - A Blitz On Cash Based Businesses

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) has launched a highly successful neighbourhood-by-neighbourhood ‘blitz’ on areas with high concentrations of cash-only businesses, already netting $200 million and the programme’s success guarantees further strikes on other neighbourhoods to follow.

As an example, the ATO staff visited 131 small businesses in the suburb of Box Hill in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne and audited 31 of them to find around $8 million in unreported payments. To date, $1.8 million has been paid back in taxes and penalties. Over the last year, 11,000 cash business audits have been conducted with seven out of ten having to increase their tax paid, yielding $197 million in tax liabilities.

The key areas targeted so far include:

Canberra, Perth and Gold Coast CBDs.
Sunnnybank in Brisbane.
Adelaide CBD and Glenelg in South Australia.
Haymarket, Cabramatta and Liverpool in Sydney.
Box Hill, Glen Waverley and Werribee in Melbourne.

According to the Tax Commissioner, Chris Jordan, these suburbs have been targeted because they had been identified as having “high cash economy risk behaviours”. This includes cash only signs, lack of business and industry education and poor record keeping. He said businesses that dealt only in cash were more easily able to avoid tax and their superannuation obligations.

The industries heavily targeted as part of the audit blitz included:

Restaurants
Cafes
Pubs
Food and Clothing Retail
Hairdressers
Beauty Salons

The Commissioner also said the Tax Office would continue to target these cash-based industries who are characterised by “low use of merchant banking facilities”. The most common concerns of the ATO were employers paying cash in hand to staff, under-reported income, failure to report withholding tax from wages and not paying the correct amount of staff superannuation.

Mr Jordan has previously warned cash-heavy businesses that they are in the firing line. He cited a number of common breaches that they are on the lookout for including cash registers that don’t have till tapes, transaction records that show a large number of “no sale” or voided transactions and the use of a wallet as a cash drawer. Jordan also said visits to businesses throughout 2017 revealed many operators who were running businesses despite not having proper ABN or GST registrations.

Mr Jordan revealed that the sneak attack on the black economy is his own personal initiative and it has revealed some interesting trends. Some suburbs have a predominance of cash-only businesses, forcing other local businesses to also only deal in cash-only or lose business. The ATO is investigating links between high immigrant populations, high cash-only businesses and high distribution of $100 notes. The black economy taskforce is investigating installation of hi-tech chips on $100 notes or including an expiration date. The ATO believes there is around 1.6 million small businesses operating within the cash and hidden economy across 234 high cash volume industries.

In the event the auditors pay your business a visit you should ask for proof of their official status. All ATO officers carry identification with them that they should produce during the visit. An ATO officer may request a range of information regarding your record keeping or staff and ideally business owners should have all their documents on hand. In most cases the ATO will give you time to get the information and records together and the officers will generally not ask you to hand over records during the initial visit.

The ATO also wants small business owners to understand that a visit from the Tax Office doesn’t automatically mean they will escalate the visit to a full audit. In the words of the ATO, “Business owners should remember the purpose of any visits is to work out whether there needs to be a future conversation about compliance”. They say, “Visiting businesses in person is about helping them to meet their obligations. Through the visits we can quickly identify who needs extra support, who may need to be engaged in a different way and make it easier for them to comply.”

Last edited by kmav23; 17-06-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 17-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #40
EF Hoon
Sideways in my 33!

Quote:

Everyone knows businesses that take cash only declare a certain amount.

Last edited by GasoLane; 17-06-2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Not needed
EF Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #41
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Rubbish, one shop I know of is in our main shopping centre that has been there for over 15 years and has never had EFTPOS

Why would you want to use a phone? ATM's that I've seen have their own buttons and screen .

As for the license on your phone it seems pretty pointless as pointed out in the article....The NSW digital version is currently not valid in other states or overseas.

Not to mention that if I drop my wallet (with my license inside) nothing breaks and I can still read my license and get actual real folding money out.
Why would a business not offer card payments in a shopping centre in 2019?

You can use your phone to swipe the ATM card reader to withrdaw your money or you can use and app and send someone a pin and they go to the ATM and withdaw the money with a pin.

Within NSW now and eventually all over Australia it would be accepted.

You still keep your wallet cards when overseas.
Old 17-06-2019, 04:16 PM   #42
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

You can use your phone to swipe the ATM card reader to withrdaw your money or you can use and app and send someone a pin and they go to the ATM and withdaw the money with a pin.

Within NSW now and eventually all over Australia it would be accepted.

You still keep your wallet cards when overseas.
Oh kmav, you can tell you live in a large city can't you.

I will concede that dodging tax would be one of them in some incidents. I know of a couple of places that use their cash register simply as an ornament and/or to store their days takings.

There are a number of reasons why businesses don't offer card payments including lack of fast internet or even in some cases no internet at all. Yep, you would probably find that hard to understand but it is true.

Also, others out in the bush are a little old fashioned, both shop keepers and their customers.

What about the elderly? Is it expected of them to embrace this technology? Some say, "Well, they will have to." but why? Habits die hard and personally as I get older my habits are getting harder to break.

Speaking on a personal note, despite me having full internet access, I don't do any sort of electronic banking. Don't believe me? Ask a few other members on here that know me personally. Ask russellw - I still go to the ANZ bank every year to pay my AFF donation!!!
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #43
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I think you need to make a trip out into the country for a couple of months and see how you go. Not many shopping centres in Glenrowan ! or Everton for that matter and even if there were half the time there is no phone service.

PS PG2 I must have been typing when you were posting.. spot on.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #44
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

An acquaintance of mine lived up in in the Hunter, while not exactly off the beaten track it's a (larger) area prone to being cut off every couple of years in protracted heavy rain.

The local storekeeper hadn't changed and would plan for periods of high demand with no restocking or power, but the "new blood" coming in were often unprepared for the relative isolation. They failed to comprehend that with no power, no reliable phone signal, electronic payment for bread, milk, the basics, wasn't an option. And they had no cash.

The shopkeeper would keep a ledger and send out invoices when the waters receded and services resumed. No surcharge for provision of credit. What old mate, his friends and the shopkeeper found blackly funny about this, was the smart new blood frequently needed a good hounding to pay down the debt.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #45
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Oh kmav, you can tell you live in a large city can't you.

probably never been over the Great Dividing Range....
4 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #46
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Sound like Darkwood/Thora (20km west of Bellingen) often cut off by the river flooding. I was working/staying on a property there and would buy 2 weeks worth of food for the week. The minute it started to rain or the clouds rolled in over the Dorigo plateau I had to get out otherwise I would be stranded. (No TV, radio, phone service, Interwebs) To leave it was down a long muddy road (in a motorhome) to a low ford, onto 11km of twisty, narrow Darkwood Rd with 4 higher fords crossing the Bellinger river before getting back to the waterfall way at Thora, which often floods before you can make it just to Bellingen.

Back in Coffs was like the big smoke.

3 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #47
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

What, no Uber helicopters?

One of those remote jobs that sounds like fun until it gets serious. Not to mention one of the places you definitely don’t want an injury or snakebite.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #48
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Oh yeah, I forgot about the copperheads and eastern bowns hanging around the riverbank. Wasn't game to go mtbking.
Funny thing was I could buy Tofu just a walk across the ford, lots of hippies. No they didn't take cards !

2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #49
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I will concede that dodging tax would be one of them in some incidents. I know of a couple of places that use their cash register simply as an ornament and/or to store their days takings.
It's getting harder to beat the taxman..
I've got an Uncle (now retired) who had a Corner store for many Years. Every July all the Wholesalers He dealt with, would send both He & the ATO a summary of the "Gross" value of the Goods his ABN had purchased from them. if his Books weren't within reason he'd get a "pleases explain" letter from 'em..
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #50
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Okay excluding smaller country towns.

Any business in Sydney Metro area.

The card payment terminals run both off both wifi and 4G.

If your a busy cafe in Sydney metro that only reports cash while 95% of cafes have majority card payments you be audited for sure.
Old 17-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #51
hayseed

Quote:
Okay excluding smaller country towns.

You clearly Don't get out Much Do You??

Wagga, Where (according to His Profile)Gasolane Lives. Is hardly a Smaller Country Town......FFS
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 06:13 PM   #52
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I can see where this is going, in a few years people who've signed up for e-licences will be caning it along the road when a copper comes onto the screen of their hands-free and says "Oi! Slow down!". The police radar will have paired with their facial recognition tech so they can deliver a personalised warning message...
Old 17-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #53
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Warning?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #54
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I'm not one for cruel and unusual punishments.
Old 17-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #55
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
We've had electronic licenses in SA for a while now. I have my license, Taxi accreditation and all the vehicles connected with my name, all on the mySAgov App. When you have to flash your license there is a unique barcode/Qcode that comes up on the bottom of the screen. It shows the current time and date etc. so the cops can see it's not just a photo or screen capture once they scan the code.

That's alright then. I'm not handing my phone to the police so they can check my details.

I like new technology, but for some things I just don't see the point. Give me a plastic licence any day.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #56
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can see where this is going, in a few years people who've signed up for e-licences will be caning it along the road when a copper comes onto the screen of their hands-free and says "Oi! Slow down!". The police radar will have paired with their facial recognition tech so they can deliver a personalised warning message...
Australia and overseas airports are using biometrics to eliminate passports.

Police already have licence plate recognition so they see if the car is registered, who the owner is and drivers etc...

Police will just scan your face with their phone to see who you are.
Old 17-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #57
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Australia and overseas airports are using biometrics to eliminate passports.

Police already have licence plate recognition so they see if the car is registered, who the owner is and drivers etc...

Police will just scan your face with their phone to see who you are.
You're exaggerating a bit there, mate. Whether the vehicle is stolen, or unregistered is about as far as it goes.

Using their phone to scan your face is Trademarked to Fox Studios.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;

Last edited by Captain Stubing; 17-06-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #58
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
You're exaggerating a bit there, mate. Whether the vehicle is stolen, or unregistered is about as far as it goes.

Using their phone to scan your face is Trademarked to Fox Studios.
So something like this?

Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 10:39 PM   #59
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
So something like this?

HAHA! I don't think the FBI even has that ability, let alone individual states of Australian Police!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #60
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
HAHA! I don't think the FBI even has that ability, let alone individual states of Australian Police!
I thought this was ridgey-didge

Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: