Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #31
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Ok peoples. I'm not against Falcon, I just want an up spec mid-sized ('tho Mondeo stretches that point) wagon that hussles with a normal manual gearbox. That's why I currently have an Outback (2 out of 3 desires, needs ooomph). The Falcon wagon was always too big to live with.
Falcon has it's spot, always will. Just doesn't attract me ('tho friend with BA-II XR6T is working on me)
I've owned a '67 Falcon, 74 Falcon, 69 Capri GT, ('80 Accord hatch), 87 Telstra TX5 Ghia (yummy!), (88 Camry - great air), (89 Prelude)...and I'm still playing with my V6 Capris. Yup, more than half were Fords. (and the EH)

It's just that these days with 2 teenagers and a mountain of camping gear, I need something big enough to carry the stuff, with some luxury for my aging bones, that is still very economical around town where I drive most, and gives me driving pleasure. Hence, mid-size wagon that hussles when needed.

I've driven my fathers Territory and was quite happy to hand the keys back. Nothing really wrong with it, just not my kind of machine. I don't want to climb >up< into my car.

We all need to lobby Ford Oz to bring out the high spec wagons....soon. Why not, they do make them.
Special run of 50-100 XR5/Titanium 2.5T..?????...
... just like the batch of 50 RS3100 Capris in 1974 (I know, living in the past....)
...and if I'm going to spend $45-50K, it needs to fit my needs >and< wants.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #32
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

I have a falcon and a mondeo and think they both have their strong points. Looking at changing my falcon over in the next 12-18 months and at this stage, an FG is on the cards. With 2 young kids, we needed the room to carry all the associated gear around and the mondeo hatch was the right size, with the right safety gear and economical to boot. It's a great drive and whilst not in the same performance league as the falcon, it delivers on many counts. I still think size alone counts in the safety stakes and both cars deliver this in spades.

I'd be disappointed if Ford tried to replace the falcon with the mondeo....was glad to hear about the new engine developments for falcon. Agree that if a wagon is your choice, the mondeo is the one to go for at the moment. The current falcon wagon is hardly a looker. Now where is that re-designed turbo falcon wagon?
Old 05-08-2009, 02:41 AM   #33
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Great to see the responses guys. As i said i was not in any way attacking the mondeo....i think there is a place for mondeo and falcon to exist side by side. Certainly in the future there might be some changes but i suppose while we have heard what Ford has in store for Falcon, mondeo's future is still unknown. I would assume Ford of Europe will be well and truly in on the ecoboost bandwagon too (given they have already stated it is slated for some other models) particulalry with One Ford going on. The introduction of the wagon provides more options for Ford buyers....particularly since Falcon wagon is a fleet car nowdays and probably won't be around much longer anyway.

Superoo you have a very neat little garage. XR6T and TDCI mondeo....ah two turbos, FWD, RWD, diesel, petrol, save fuel, burn fuel...oh the choices. And both are great cars in their own right.

I think it might be seen as a little strange to have two cars that are so close in size...but then again, if it works for you why not....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 03:43 AM   #34
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My post was in no way meant to "put down" the Falcon. As what will probably be the final evolution of the model, the FG is a great car and IMHO superior to the VE Commodore, especially in regards to the respective 6 cylinder drivetrains. I leased a XR6 for 3 years, and would happily drive a XR6 wagon now if Ford made one.

But there are some inescapable facts. Having driven a FG rental and Mondeo at either end of a flight recently, the Mondeo is simply more refined and rides and handles better. A diesel Mondeo is much more fuel efficient than a Falcon, and even the 2.3 petrol auto is probably about 20% more economical in the real world. Given that the development budget for the Mondeo would have been much higher than for the FG, some of this difference is inevitable.

Anyway, it comes down to personal opinion in the end, and we should just be thankful that Ford have provided two very good cars for us to choose.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #35
SteveH
Starter Motor

Had a look at a new Mondeo wagon today and have to say it is a good looking bit of gear. Also had a look at the XR5 and Titanium spec hatches and they are even better. What they have done with the interior on the XR5 looks really good and the features really puts it streets ahead of the opposition IMHO.

Now if only I didn't have 2 and half years on my lease.....
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #36
ajay1940

Have to agree with everything NZ XR6 said. I borrowed my brother's FG, the other day, and it's a fine car. but the TDCI has the edge in refinement.
On another topic, I really want a diesel Mondeo wagon, and if Ford can't supply it , I will be forced to have a serious look at the new Suby Outback diesel.
ajay1940 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #37
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

If you want a Diesel Wagon you should check out the new Mazda 6, its a gem and IMO slaughters the suby!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #38
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Played games last night with the Ford UK website. Built myself what I want (Titanium X Sports Estate), in the colour I want (Tango...or Avalon looks Ok). Now I just need to buy it and get it here.....Hmmmmm, how can I justify a trip to Uk to do some shopping.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #39
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Ooops, 2.5T + 6spd manual......Off the factory floor.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:17 AM   #40
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
If you want a Diesel Wagon you should check out the new Mazda 6, its a gem and IMO slaughters the suby!
There's a new Legacy (Liberty) / Outback in NZ. As with all recent Subarus, the styling is likely to be an acquired taste but it will probably be a good car. 7 speed CVT is now the standard gearbox - probably a stop gap until a DSG box is available.

Check out the UK forums on Mazda 6 diesel reliability issues. Mazda may have it sorted by now, but have they had problems.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #41
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
There's a new Legacy (Liberty) / Outback in NZ. As with all recent Subarus, the styling is likely to be an acquired taste but it will probably be a good car. 7 speed CVT is now the standard gearbox - probably a stop gap until a DSG box is available.

Check out the UK forums on Mazda 6 diesel reliability issues. Mazda may have it sorted by now, but have they had problems.
What problems have they been having mate? Oil degredation?

I have been following this thread for a while. It soesnt seem to be an issue if you dont do short trips.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #42
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
What problems have they been having mate? Oil degredation?

I have been following this thread for a while. It soesnt seem to be an issue if you dont do short trips.
There's been a few comments on the UK Mondeo forum. The diesel Mondy can have problems with the oil service light coming on if the DPF cycle is interrupted, but apparently the Mazda 6 diesel is far worse and there have been engine failures.
Old 17-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #43
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Well I took Mrs Naddis01 and Baby Naddis01 down to the Ford dealer today to check out a Mondeo wagon. We didnt have time to test drive it though unfortunately. We looked at a Zetec. They are a very impressive car inside, however there were a couple of little things that put a little downer on things. Mrs Naddis01 is what you may call vertically challenged and when sitting in the drivers seat could on just put the accelerator right down with the seat as far forward as it goes. However the was HEAPS of legroom behind her. Also she has to stretch to reach the tailgate when it is open. It needs a little loop that hangs down like the Territory.

Other than that it seems like a great car, although like I said we havent driven it yet.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #44
Dusty1
Giddy up!

The hatch is just as bad as it goes up quite high and can be a stretch for many. A loop would be a great addition.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #45
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those of us who are not vertically challenged, the tailgate is great - absolutely no chance of hitting my head on it as I did regularly with my previous wagon. I'd guess that it would be pretty simple to fit a loop handle.