Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 22-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
izaak
Starter Motor

Default MB XR5 Mondeo - Drive Belt Tensioner?

I have a 2009 XR5 Mondeo and its drive belt spring-tensioner needs replacing, had an independent mechanic inform me and I also had it verified by a ford dealer when I took it in for a service the other week.

I asked the ford dealer for a quote to supply and replace the part, and they've got back to me that they can't get a hold of one. Ford apparently don't make/supply them anymore and they couldn't source a non-OEM replacement.

This is really, really not good. That's a critical part, if I'm driving around and my drive belt is not being tensioned correctly.

I've searched and searched on here, on google, I can't find any part numbers for this part, I can't find any service manuals for this car (The only Haynes manuals for 2009 Mondeo doesn't cover the 2.5 XR5 variant).

I really need to find this part and to purchase it.

Does anyone have ANY info on this part - Ford part numbers, and know of any OEM replacements?

Has anyone else had to have this part replaced?

Any help appreciated

Cheers
izaak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
izaak
Starter Motor

Default Re: MB XR5 Mondeo - Drive Belt Tensioner?

Well I found on ebay UK this part https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MOND...UAAOSwlptaC4EE

Which looks like what I want
Old 22-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Volvo dealer could probably help you as they made that engine.
Old 22-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Part number for the drive belt tensioner is 6G9N 7739 CF. Seems to be obsolete from Ford, but there may be NOS around at a dealer, will see what I can find out for you.

The below lists an SKF part number, so if you go to a local SKF dealer like CBC bearings or the alike they may be able to get for you.

https://spareto.com/oe/6g9n7739cf
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-08-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
izaak
Starter Motor

Hi GTLEGEND,

Thanks for that. The ebay link I posted listed a few part numbers from SKF and yours and that one both match. I've emailed a few dealers asking for quotes.

SKF would be the best option apart from genuine ford or volvo I would think.

I'll keep everyone updated with what I end up getting and how the install goes (Will get a mechanic to do it)
Old 22-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #6
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Yeh or even Gates as they supply a lot of belts, pulleys and tensioners for Ford genuine.
Old 23-08-2019, 12:08 AM   #7
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

another alternative but 3 weeks is too long to wait to get it:

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/ford/m...ort_categories[]=541&rp=1&price_range[]=asc

wreckers an option to tide you over?
Old 23-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #8
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also try Dayco...
Old 23-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its any help I think the Volvo part number is 31258145, not sure if they are available from them though?
Old 23-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #10
izaak
Starter Motor

Well, I've had contact from a few distributors today, one can't get a hold of a part for me at all even though they're SKF distributors. Another COULD get one with a 2 week lead time at a cost delivered to me of $250.

I've bit the bullet and gone for the eBay link I posted which is a Gates brand unit and all up delivered from ebay UK was $109. The price difference between that and the local SKF distributor should almost pay for the installation!

I'll let everyone know how it all goes.

Cheers for all the help
This user likes this post: