Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
GT0336
GT Pilot

Default MC Mondeo forward alert malfunction & ABS Light

My wife's 2012 Mondeo Titanium Ecoboost, has a problem that I am trying to troubleshoot. The ABS and stability lights are on, as well as a forward alert malfunction.

I've scanned with an OBD tool but the car is showing no fault codes. I've tried disconnecting the battery, cleaning the front radar and connector with contact cleaner.

Has anyone else had this issue? I've also noticed the powershift Auto seems to roll back when in gear, but does shift gears fine and the hill launch feature is unavailable. Thanks in advance for any help.
LOWERED WITH BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS SPRINGS, CUSTOM QUAD EXHAUST, PACEMAKER HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, CAI, 80MM THROTTLE BODY, SHAKER, FACTORY SAT NAV, REVERSE CAMERA, CUSTOM ALPINE/DLS SOUND SYSTEM. CUSTOM GT-P LEATHER SEATS BY LEATHER-FX.
TUNED BY SPIRO AT AUTOTECH - 287.9 RWKW
Build Thread

2009 SY FPV F6X

2017 Mustang GT
GT0336 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
steerage250

Default Re: MC Mondeo forward alert malfunction & ABS Light

I have a similar issue with our MC 2012 titanium Ecoboost, but just limited to the forward collision alert. The warning lamp for the forward collision alert is on, and yet the adaptive cruise control works just fine - and they use the same sensor (I'm assuming - I can only see one likely candidate in the schematics called the Proximity Warning Radar Unit).

Like you, I have checked for diagnostic codes with an OBD tool.

I found this description in a manual for a 2014 Mondeo, and perhaps the same applies to our year:

"The CCM (Cruise Control Module) monitors the yaw rate signal from the ABS module and compares it to the wheel speed and steering wheel angle signals. If the ABS module determines the yaw rate is invalid, the CCM disables the adaptive cruise control. The message center displays the message COLLISION WARNING MALFUNCTION and/or ADAPTIVE CRUISE MALFUNCTION."

- so maybe it's something to do with the yaw rate ?

Last edited by steerage250; 12-08-2019 at 10:32 AM.
steerage250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2019, 06:11 AM   #3
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0336 View Post
My wife's 2012 Mondeo Titanium Ecoboost, has a problem that I am trying to troubleshoot. The ABS and stability lights are on, as well as a forward alert malfunction.

I've scanned with an OBD tool but the car is showing no fault codes. I've tried disconnecting the battery, cleaning the front radar and connector with contact cleaner.

Has anyone else had this issue? I've also noticed the powershift Auto seems to roll back when in gear, but does shift gears fine and the hill launch feature is unavailable. Thanks in advance for any help.
With regard to the roll back in drive with the powershift, it would be no different to a manual gearbox with your foot on the clutch. There is no "drive" forward like a traditional auto when stationary.

The hillstart assist feature will help with this, and can be turned on using the steering wheel controls/
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
Mondaveo

What kind of OBD tool did you use to look for fault codes? Mondeo has two controller networks, HS-CAN and MS-CAN. Most garden-variety OBDII readers can only read from the HS-CAN. If this is yours you may find you can expose more information getting one to read MS-CAN.

There is a thread on the topic here: https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11449047

From the issues you're describing I don't think there's a problem with your radar sensor, it seems more likely the issue lies somewhere in the braking system, maybe the ABS or the yaw sensor as steerage has suggested. Think about it: collision alert, traction control and hill launch all require the computer to control the brakes, and if something is wrong with that system it will impact all those other automated functions.

Hope that helps and you get it sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
GT0336
GT Pilot

Thanks for all the replies. I've now scanned the car with FORScan and have a fault in the rear right ABS sensor. I'll order a new sensor and hopefully this solves the problem.
LOWERED WITH BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS SPRINGS, CUSTOM QUAD EXHAUST, PACEMAKER HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, CAI, 80MM THROTTLE BODY, SHAKER, FACTORY SAT NAV, REVERSE CAMERA, CUSTOM ALPINE/DLS SOUND SYSTEM. CUSTOM GT-P LEATHER SEATS BY LEATHER-FX.
Build Thread

2009 SY FPV F6X

2017 Mustang GT
This user likes this post:
Old 24-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #6
GT0336
GT Pilot

Fitted the new ABS sensor and still no luck. Still getting the fault and ABS light after clearing codes.
Build Thread

2009 SY FPV F6X

2017 Mustang GT
Old 24-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check any wiring harness in that area for continuity. Early VE Commodores used to report a similar problem. The fix was a new harness..
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
GT0336
GT Pilot

Just an update for anyone else that has this issue. The problem was in the ABS sensor harness. Made up a new harness and all fixed.
Build Thread

2009 SY FPV F6X

2017 Mustang GT
2 users like this post: