Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default WA Hoon Laws - VF HSV permanently confiscated and to be auctioned off

Sorry if this has been posted already:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-1227035769034

22 year old doing 180 clicks with four passengers in the car.
The mining boom has a lot to answer for me thinks.

2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: WA Hoon Laws - VF HSV permanently confiscated and to be auctioned off

Looks like a VE to me? Glad theres one less peanut on the road though.
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

Default Re: WA Hoon Laws - VF HSV permanently confiscated and to be auctioned off

nice senator i'd buy it
Old 25-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Yeah sorry, its a VE, my bad.
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 25-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

How times have changed. When I was 22 that wouldn't have been out of the norm for my peers. I never did anything like that of course...
Old 25-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
blueprinted_xr
FPV F6E FG XR8 UTE EL XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8 View Post
A
And that's why we have anti hoon laws...

Last edited by Auslandau; 25-08-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Removed quote from above ....
blueprinted_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Am I missing something, did he kill someone or something. Lifetime ban and 6mths suspended gaol sentence. Why even pull over, just roll the dice and run.... 180km/hr, who hasn't done that?
Didn't kill anyone but it was strike 3 so game over.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Am I missing something, did he kill someone or something. Lifetime ban and 6mths suspended gaol sentence. Why even pull over, just roll the dice and run.... 180km/hr, who hasn't done that?
He'd wanna be getting a lot more for killing someone than a lifetime ban and 6 month suspended sentence. Just sayin'. This is what one calls a deterrent so dick bags like this DON'T kill somebody.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Serioulsy...?
The whole idea is that he doesn't kill somebody before something is done.
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Nova 8

I was in court last month a guy, and I counted, had 15 counts of child molestation was released on bail, another with 5 counts also out on bail. A guy with 2 illegal gun possession count and assault charges also release on bail.

The court case I was there for where they did a hit and run which killed my mate, they then lied to the police over and over, out on bail and still driving and the curfew and driving restrains lifted so not to cause them hardship. Mere mention of the word hoon though....
Old 25-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #11
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I am truly sorry for the loss of your mate Nova 8, but those examples just show a deficit in our legal system, not where we want to be.
The Hoon law is a good thing, I believe. Less idiots on the road, the better. And in WA, you'll know what I mean.
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #12
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Simple answer to that,3 strikes and youre out,this has absolutely nothing to do with molestation or hit and run drivers,no point even comparing,its a straight up 3 time hoon who got what he deserved and im glad hes off the road.
Lets not make this about poor hoons being picked on...
i also agree with Joe about the legal system,its about as fair and just as herpes.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

and a drink drive gets a slap on the wrist and back behind the wheel only to get caught again and again ... and nothing happens to them.. i think the systems broken
come on hes in the pilbara, port headland .. no where to run as you're in the middle of no where

oh i might add the hoon laws do suck big time .. as its the officers word against you .. if he THINKS you take off from the lights to fast he can book you for hooning ..the list goes on its crap imo
yes doing burnout etc throw the book but if the copper has had a bad day they can pin just about anything on you and call it hooning
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Am I missing something, did he kill someone or something. Lifetime ban and 6mths suspended gaol sentence.
Also remember that a "lifetime ban" isn't.
Firstly, he'll be able to get an extraordinary licence tomorrow if he can prove a legitimate need. Then at some later point (probably the next Labour government) he can ask the minister to lift his ban.

This is more of a "you're banned from driving until you either grow up or grow a brain."
Old 25-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #15
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa View Post
but if the copper has had a bad day they can pin just about anything on you and call it hooning
Yes, because that's what police do isn't. There's not enough drug-addled f-wits around trying to kill people with their cars for the cops to chase, so they go after innocent people and make stuff up.

Owning and abusing a car doesn't make one a car enthusiastic, in fact exactly the opposite. Hoons are brain-damaged morons, with no place in our society. Frankly if they only killed themselves and each-other I would applaud Darwin's theory in action.
Unfortunately even hoons are some mother's son.
Old 25-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #16
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Can someone confirm what the situation is when (if) the vehicle is encumbered by finance, owned by a bank or lease provider?

The operator at time of offence, may not own the vehicle, he mightn't even be the registered owner.

3 times caught he's a dill and deserves a sanction, make no mistake I believe he should pay hard. But can they actually seize, acquire, sell, property not necessarily "owned" by an offender?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #17
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Can someone confirm what the situation is when (if) the vehicle is encumbered by finance, owned by a bank or lease provider?

The operator at time of offence, may not own the vehicle, he mightn't even be the registered owner.

3 times caught he's a dill and deserves a sanction, make no mistake I believe he should pay hard. But can they actually seize, acquire, sell, property not necessarily "owned" by an offender?
My UNDERSTANDING is that ownership doesn't matter. Most Hoons have their cars owned by their mothers (because they think THEY are the only one to think of it.)
Old 25-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #18
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Interesting.

So, if an offender (in a borrowed car) for the sake of discussion, something very expensive, and does jail bait speed and gets caught, has a full strike count already, and the registered owner is actually paying a lease on it, it still gets forfeited? Even though its the property of (in this case) a fourth party?

God, govco really is serious about making someone pay

What a **** fight that would be, and not exactly far fetched.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
Nova 8

The punishment doesn't suit the crime, what were strikes 1 and 2. We have been told to expect a suspended sentence and a 1-5yr driving ban for my friends death, so less than this guy. If this 22yo's sentence was a banned license to be reviewed at a 5 or 10 year period and without gaol time it would seem, to me, more fair. OR gaol, suspended or not and temporary ban.

Picking on "hoons" with ridiculously harsh penalties just because its publicly accepted isn't right. Hoon laws can be, at best, vague and allows police to label who ever they want as they please. Laws are meant to be definitive and understandable with terms explained clearly. If this guy received one or the other (permanent loss of license or gaol) I wouldn't bat an eyelid, I take issue with both.
Old 25-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #20
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

C;mon ...... sick of deleting posts. No one should condone running from police etc. Even if it isnt exactly intended, it isnt wanted on a public forum

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #21
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Interesting.

So, if an offender (in a borrowed car) for the sake of discussion, something very expensive, and does jail bait speed and gets caught, has a full strike count already, and the registered owner is actually paying a lease on it, it still gets forfeited? Even though its the property of (in this case) a fourth party?

God, govco really is serious about making someone pay

What a **** fight that would be, and not exactly far fetched.
You may remember (last year I think) the story of a mechanic here in Perth getting done in a Lambo owned by one of his customers. Car was impounded. No if, buts, whatever.

Sure, not a great result for the innocent (that particular time) owner, but that's the law. I'd rather see a few extra people 'inconvenienced' than more people getting away with it and killing others through their stupidity. Maybe I'm getting old, but being the father of small children really chnages your perspective on things.
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

4 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #22
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If it was my car that was confiscated because a so called mate couldn't control himself I'd be reporting the car was stolen. At least I might get it back. I'd also be warning said mate that I'd be doing it too as part of the agreement to lend the car.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #23
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Maybe I'm getting old, but being the father of small children really changes your perspective on things.
I don't think your response has anything to do with age or being a dad. You are over reacting hysterically due to the media hype that has surrounded hoons and the poorly designed and legislated hoon laws though.

Lets put this in perspective.
More people die on the golf course every year due to lightning strikes than from hoon behaviour, yet I don't see anyone confiscating golf course property due to the dangers involved. Driving like a ccok smoker has been turned into anti social behaviour, which is great, but it is largely a victimless crime with relatively harsh penalties.

Surely a 5 year ban and a hefty fine would suffice, without having to confiscate property. Confiscating people's property just doesn't sit well with me in a supposed fair democracy. I could see it happening in a country ruled by a dictator, but cant get my head around it happening in Australia.

Certainly, many more peoples lived are affected by drink drivers, pedophiles or even road rage than are affected by immature idiots with no brains doing burn outs. Do those found guilty of these offences have cars or houses taken from under them as punishment?

As a dad of two young girls ( aged 4 and 5), I worry about the scum of the world that abducts kids, such as the germ who abducted poor little Daniel Morecombe.
I also worry that they will become victims of sexual assault at some point in there lives by someone they know and thought they could trust and stats show that it's likely that one of them will, yet this is largely swept under the carpet.

I also worry about their future. The changing face of our country and it's economic future as our biggest group of tax payers retires and draws the old age pension? What jobs will be left for them? The amount of debt the nation will carry when they are tax payers, the fact that owning their own home might be out of reach for them? These things keep me up at night.

I don't lose any sleep over the possibility of their lives being effected by hoons though as chances are minute that hooning behaviour will affect them in any life changing way , yet it seems the penalty for this is way harsher and the laws much more draconian for hooning than for real crime!
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #24
Nova 8

If like the case with the lambo it turns out that there is no guilt what so ever on the owner of the car, which, obviously giving your car to a mechanic falls under. The car should be returned, no question. Who in the lambo case has to pay the impound fees. What about if someone who needs their car, less spare money, gives it to a mechanic and they do burnouts and get the car impound. That person is without a car for doing nothing. Punishment without committing a crime is illegal, if this happened to me I would seek legal representation in going forth with a lawsuit against the police or state government.
Old 25-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #25
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many arsonists have had their homes (or those of their family) impounded?

Way more serious crimes result in smaller penalties. Politics at its finest.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #26
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Yes, because that's what police do isn't. There's not enough drug-addled f-wits around trying to kill people with their cars for the cops to chase, so they go after innocent people and make stuff up.
Mate seen it 1st hand ...no me but people i people i been riding with .. you guys here hooning , nah mate we just took off from lights...nah you guys were going flatout off lights ...sorry mate but we wern't .... you left that car for dead.... etc etc all because he had no idea about motorbikes and how they accelerate quicker than cars when not even trying...
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

10.567sec for the strip
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2014, 12:31 AM   #27
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
You may remember (last year I think) the story of a mechanic here in Perth getting done in a Lambo owned by one of his customers. Car was impounded. No if, buts, whatever.

Sure, not a great result for the innocent (that particular time) owner, but that's the law. I'd rather see a few extra people 'inconvenienced' than more people getting away with it and killing others through their stupidity. Maybe I'm getting old, but being the father of small children really chnages your perspective on things.
they changed the law after that, if its not your car and you get caught and you have a car/bike etc at home they can take that instead so the person who's car it is isn't penalized eg no car cant work

10.567sec for the strip
Old 26-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #28
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Lets put this in perspective.
More people die on the golf course every year due to lightning strikes than from hoon behaviour
Simply not true; death due to lighting strike is very rare in Australia see http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@....2?OpenDocument and download the spreadsheet. One death from lightning in both 2011 and 2012, 0 in 2010, 1 in 2009, 3 in 2008, 2 in 2007, 0 in 20065, 0 in 2006 etc. Don't know how many were on golf courses (or fishermen using carbon fishing rods) but has to be even less. Yet I read several headline each year about a number of speeding street racers killed just in WA.

eg
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...-death-charge/
http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news...rash-/7660912/
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/20...0818-eoeb.html

Last edited by aussiblue; 26-08-2014 at 01:00 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #29
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

But I guess this is another perspective:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/118766/r...-hoons-report/

Quote:
According to Professor D’Arcy Holman of the Road Safety Council of WA, hoons cause less crashes compared with more responsible, low-risk-taking drivers. He says it’s the majority that matters when it comes to the road toll and says the majority includes drivers that take low-risks on the road, such as those who frequently exceed the speed limit by only a little bit.

Prof Holman says it’s a myth that hoon drivers cause the worst havoc on the roads. He says general drivers who go over the speed limit on a regular basis cause around 3000 fatalities and serious accidents every year, whereas hoon-related accidents account for a smaller number of the overall road toll. He said in a recent The West Australian report,

“We certainly don’t want anti-social hoon behaviour on our roads but it’s the less conspicuous speeding behaviour of the general public that really matters in terms of safety outcomes. We need to target not so much the high-risk behaviour by a few but go after the majority.

“Hoon drivers massively increase their risk of a crash but the bottom line is not many people do that whereas you have many drivers going over the limit, which even by 5km/h doubles the risk of a crash.”

It’s certainly an interesting angle, especially as hoon drivers are typically regarded as the biggest contributor to the road toll as they are the easiest to target.

Prof Holman says figures from Main Roads show drivers have slowed down in the past ten years. In 2000, around 13 percent of drivers frequently sped by 10km/h or more. Last year, that figure was six percent.

He says the speed camera was probably the main cause in the reduction of speeders as motorists eventually got tired of paying fines.
and

Quote:
CAR hoons are willing to risk their lives by getting into high-speed escapes from police to avoid having their high-powered cars impounded or destroyed, new research shows.

Nerida Leal of the Queensland University of Technology found some drivers were so attached to their vehicles, especially if they had invested their life savings in them, they would try to outrun police.

"A $40,000 car is a reason to run from the cops," Ms Leal told the Australasian Road Safety Conference in Sydney last week. "A $40,000 car may be worth dying over for a lot of young people."

http://Read more: http://www.smh.com...#ixzz3BPbmxztP
Old 26-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #30
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa View Post
Mate seen it 1st hand
When these laws first came into effect in NSW, Ian Luff, filming a segment for TV was threatened with having the car he was driving impounded. It was only the camera crew with him recording the whole thing that got the cop to pull his head in.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: