Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-11-2022, 05:24 PM   #1831
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Penrite are including something similar on their bottles too -

As for those fuel tins with the plastic lift-out spouts, I had a fairly new one of those over pressurized, burst and them emptied the better part of 5 liters of fuel into the tray of my ute. I dumped them all after that.
No comment towards the 5L tins and their useless pull out spouts. I assume you do the same as i do. Pre mix in 1, ulp in the other. So 2 cans. 1 for the glorious 2 stroke stuff, other for 4 stroke stuff. Im just a domestic, so whatever, the plastic 5L cops 125ml of 2 stroke oil for a 1:40 mix. The metal 5L can cops straight 98 for the mower. Unless you get resourceful to get a flat blade squirrel to pop out the spout and use a funnel, the metal can is useless.
My 51cc whipper snipper takes a 1:40 mix. My chainsaw takes a standard 1:50 mix, but i hardly ever use the chainsaw. So a little more oil in the fuel mix i dont reckon will hurt it too much.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2022, 06:19 PM   #1832
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
No comment towards the 5L tins and their useless pull out spouts. I assume you do the same as i do. Pre mix in 1, ulp in the other. So 2 cans. 1 for the glorious 2 stroke stuff, other for 4 stroke stuff. Im just a domestic, so whatever, the plastic 5L cops 125ml of 2 stroke oil for a 1:40 mix. The metal 5L can cops straight 98 for the mower. Unless you get resourceful to get a flat blade squirrel to pop out the spout and use a funnel, the metal can is useless.
My 51cc whipper snipper takes a 1:40 mix. My chainsaw takes a standard 1:50 mix, but i hardly ever use the chainsaw. So a little more oil in the fuel mix i dont reckon will hurt it too much.
I had run these for a as long as I can remember. The funnel tube is handy but fiddly to use and the strap that holds in to the can breaks easily, meaning it ends up floating around in the tray.

-Red 5lt for 50:1 (All of my small 2-stokes)
-Green 5lt for 25:1 (Victa 2-Stokes)
-Red 10lt for 91 octane unleaded fuel
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #1833
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My setup.
Dont act like youre not impressed.
24mm socket on the drill not pictured cos you better believe this things got too much compression to pull start.
Absolute weapon.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2022, 07:21 PM   #1834
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post

My setup.
24mm socket on the drill not pictured cos you better believe this things got too much compression to pull start.
Absolute weapon.
Looks a bit of a weapon.Not a grenade is it?or a cluster bomb
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #1835
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

My setup.
Absolute weapon.
That's looks like the work of my father! He never liked mowing, so a lawn mower was a necessary evil and never got fixed as things broke.

The muffler had rusted through its mounting pegs, so was attached in place with a piece of fencing wire, it would shoot blue flames as a result. The adjusting mechanism bar was welded back in place and only allowed the selection of three settings. Combine that with a variety other ailments, spending money on the lawn mower was something to be avoided.
Mustang GT

Old 13-11-2022, 07:58 PM   #1836
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

All this talk of chainsaws, Im still rocking a hand me down from Dad(RIP)an old super reliable Dolmar PS34(pre Makita interfering)16" bar, cold start is a hold it wide open and 6 pumps no choke one maybe two pulls let her idle about 30 secs ready for work... carbide chain a necessity at my place due to white ants Ive only ever cut down 2 live trees in 6 yrs here.
Also handed me down his brush cutter as well also a Dolmar

Best thing about Dolmar is the colour matches me Kubota tractor
Old 13-11-2022, 09:51 PM   #1837
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I had run these for a as long as I can remember. The funnel tube is handy but fiddly to use and the strap that holds in to the can breaks easily, meaning it ends up floating around in the tray.

-Red 5lt for 50:1 (All of my small 2-stokes)
-Green 5lt for 25:1 (Victa 2-Stokes)
-Red 10lt for 91 octane unleaded fuel

I find those funnel tubes split easily and before you know it you've got fuel going everywhere. I've tried to find where I can buy just the funnel tubes but haven't been successful yet. Apart from that they are great fuel containers.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-11-2022, 01:10 AM   #1838
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Researching chainsaws over the last couple of weeks, I spotted guys using a no-spill fuel containers for refueling. A few minutes on Amazon and I found what I was looking for -

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product...age&th=1&psc=1

Why on earth did I not find something like this years ago!

The concept here is that the fuel is released from the spout by a spring action button.

Simply put the spout in the tank opening and GENTLY push the button to fill the tank. I say gently because pushing the button with full force this morning, the first time using it, fuel ended up spurting uncontrolled all over my machine and clean ute tray.

I'm now ordering a larger 10lt version for my 4-stoke mowers.
I’ve been looking for those! I’ve seen Andrew camarata on YT use them, but have never seen one in any bricks and mortar hardware or auto store.
I wish more lawnies had them, the number of open fuel containers with the spout screwed on in the back of utes I see is astounding. It’s not like you are spewing hydrocarbons into the air needlessly or anything….

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-11-2022, 05:25 PM   #1839
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
I’ve been looking for those! I’ve seen Andrew camarata on YT use them, but have never seen one in any bricks and mortar hardware or auto store.
I wish more lawnies had them, the number of open fuel containers with the spout screwed on in the back of utes I see is astounding. It’s not like you are spewing hydrocarbons into the air needlessly or anything….
Wouldn't you end up losing fuel to evaporation doing that? What a waste of fuel, money and to the environment.

There are just some things that Brick & Mortar shops won't bother stocking. I know it's nice to support local businesses, but it got old for me driving around trying to find things over the years. It's at the point now where I just order parts and consumables online ahead of time, rather than wasting time driving all over town looking for stuff.

These two websites are good for parts -

https://www.greenacresmowers.com.au/
https://www.allmowerspares.com.au/

One of those items that no one sells here is Diamond Edge trimmer line. If you are looking for a good trimmer line, one that I have found to be the best after decades of trial and error, this stuff is hard to beat. Unlike a lot of trimmer lines, this stuff is not ultra-hard and brittle, rather it's softer and more flexible. That means it wears better and doesn't seem to "chip" away.

For your Husqvarna, you need the 2.4 size -

https://www.greenacresmowers.com.au/...+Trimmer+Line+
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/38313714...3ABFBMvLuRyY5h

Garden bags are another item I often need to get online. The Big B sometimes have these, sometimes don't, so I just order them now.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162992441781

This is the larger 10 liter size of that fuel can -

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/31413594...QAAOSwLNFjF4ey
Mustang GT

Old 15-11-2022, 08:45 AM   #1840
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use the "Diamond Edge" trimmer line as well - it's good stuff & is conveniently stocked by my local Bunnings store.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2022, 12:49 PM   #1841
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Comedy this morning as my “helper” passed me their running chainsaw.

Just serviced, they said. First (attempted) cut revealed that whoever serviced it, put the chain on backwards and loose. Thus it burred the dogs on the chain to the point where it wouldn’t seat in the bar, so I had to lightly file these burrs off. Twenty minutes later, I was in business.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2022, 01:13 PM   #1842
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

Just serviced, they said. First (attempted) cut revealed that whoever serviced it, put the chain on backwards and loose. Thus it burred the dogs on the chain to the point where it wouldn’t seat in the bar, so I had to lightly file these burrs off. Twenty minutes later, I was in business.
How do you get a chain backwards? Pretty sure one thing you do when changing a chain is wipe away the sawdust and grime which reveals the marking for direction of chain. Normally its both on the body of the sword and on the bar. To be fair, from my experience on the bar its just painted on so could wear off, but on the saw its normaly stamped in the plastic. Or conversely, it sounds rare, but you can use your eyes and replace things in the same orientation.
Old 17-11-2022, 01:22 PM   #1843
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I have no idea how it happened. Not my saw, not a usual helper. Worked fine when righted.
Old 17-11-2022, 02:56 PM   #1844
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

those would look on my lathe.
Old 17-11-2022, 05:21 PM   #1845
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Unfortunately, Backwards Chainman wanted the wood for his winter heating fire. It was a cracking log before dissection, I nearly offered it up here.
Sometimes hard to know where you start and stop when a tree is so misshapen, so oversized/out-of-place yet removal is not an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz
those would look on my lathe.
I’ve got a crepe myrtle stump to come out sometime. About 1500 long by 225 across - interested?
Old 17-11-2022, 05:37 PM   #1846
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes absolutely....but work commitments, increasing Covid, floods, and having to go through Victoria.....maybe another time thankyou.

Plus I have enough green wood to dry out for next 5 years...
Old 17-11-2022, 08:08 PM   #1847
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Unfortunately, Backwards Chainman wanted the wood for his winter heating fire. It was a cracking log before dissection, I nearly offered it up here.
Sometimes hard to know where you start and stop when a tree is so misshapen, so oversized/out-of-place yet removal is not an option.
I’ve got a crepe myrtle stump to come out sometime. About 1500 long by 225 across - interested?
I SOOOO want to finish off that job and remove the tree altogether!
Mustang GT

Old 17-11-2022, 08:11 PM   #1848
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Which one - the stump or the Sasanqua?
Old 17-11-2022, 08:17 PM   #1849
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Which one - the stump or the Sasanqua?
This one...........

Mustang GT

Old 17-11-2022, 09:00 PM   #1850
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:

Been there, done that......
Old 18-11-2022, 11:12 PM   #1851
John 13

Quote:

My setup.
Absolute weapon.
For the last 22 years I’ve done likewise on my Honda GV35 engine, after numerous pull cord replacements. Bought this engine in 1978 before Honda mowers were sold in Australia. Now on a Pope side delivery pressed steel chassis, second chassis, 3rd set of secondhand wheels, third set of handles, second blade disc, replaced original plastic air cleaner with an after market dry element type mounted on the handles. Only my socket is 3/4 AF. In that time only engine work was a valve grind in 1988.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2022, 11:18 PM   #1852
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's been a while since I posted but holy **** the gov mowers can't keep up with this **** around here

My backyard went a bit wild before I finally got around to it last week. I'm seriously considering killing it all off and starting again. Too many weeds and dirt patches even with all this rain, it is about 20 years old.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2022, 11:41 PM   #1853
hayseed

Quote:
so oversized/out-of-place yet removal is not an option.

Why Not...!!!!

I can't see one valid reason for leaving It there..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2022, 11:57 PM   #1854
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The owner is attached to the tree being there, and it provides some shade/transpirational cooling in Summer from the western sun. Heavy pruning has been necessary over the years as it leans into the driveway airspace and weeps down over it.
Old 20-11-2022, 04:32 PM   #1855
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Moving on my old fuel can today, no spill canisters all round now.

And joy of joys, I got use my new chainsaw today!!

First, this semi-weeping cherry did not re-shoot this spring. It's a very old specimen that needed some savage pruning a few years ago. The tree re-shot with vigor after that. However, I think a prolonged period of being in wet soil this past winter and spring did it no favors. So, down it came...........

It was then onto an Albizia that had been slowly dying over the last few years. Seeing as I had the chainsaw on site, down it came too!

WOW! What a beast! Now, this wood was super soft, but with a brand-new chain, it ripped through it with ease. I have NEVER had a saw cut like this, like butter! On the thicker timber, I got to play with some full throttle and let the thing sing!

Like any machine, there is always a period of getting to know it. The starting process is a bit finicky, needing some throttle to warm it up for 30 seconds prior to letting it idle.

I joked to my client today that I probably shouldn't charge them for today, I was having far too much fun playing lumberjack.
Mustang GT

Old 20-11-2022, 04:58 PM   #1856
Kicking back

Soft wood deffinately sucks compared to dried out wood. However, new chains are amazing provided theyre tensioned correctly and. Well, you to a degree have to let the tool do the work. Doesnt matter how new or sharp the chain is, on soft or damp wood, if you go too hard it'll gunk up the chain, dull it and you'll just end up pretty much friction burning through the limb or trunk.
Old 20-11-2022, 05:28 PM   #1857
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Soft wood deffinately sucks compared to dried out wood. However, new chains are amazing provided theyre tensioned correctly and. Well, you to a degree have to let the tool do the work. Doesnt matter how new or sharp the chain is, on soft or damp wood, if you go too hard it'll gunk up the chain, dull it and you'll just end up pretty much friction burning through the limb or trunk.
Well I have cut all different wood wih chainsaws and green hardwood or softwood cut so much quicker and easily compared to dry hardwood.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2022, 08:06 PM   #1858
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
I have mentioned this client before, but she generally only calls me when the grass is above ankle deep. What should be 15-minute job ends up taking more than 45-minutes, is hard on my body and hard on my machines.

When I gave her my base price, she bartered me down by $10, which I agreed to because it's only a small lawn and is conveniently located next door to a property I visit weekly. I'm not going to reveal the price of what she pays me for this beast of a job, I'm actually embarrassed I have let it go on this long, and the job basically costs me rather than earns me money.

Two weeks ago she contacted me wanting the grass cut for her "guests" at the weekend. I was due to go into hospital for a procedure, which I gave me an easy out, except in the meantime the grass has grown even higher and had not been attended to. Now she is asking for me to book her in and I don't want to do it..........especially for the price she will expect to pay.

I hate letting people down, but this job is not worth my effort. The price would need to be tripled to make it a money earner and I know she is not the sort of person who would agree to that (I'm an observant person, not racist, so I will let the readers figure out her nationality).

Currently trying to figure out how to ask her to find someone else without offending. Any suggestions would be valued.

Quote:
Job done!

Advised I her that I am reducing my workload and unfortunately won't be able to continue. Also provided her with two contacts she could consider, I suspect she will be learning something very soon.
Today, I spotted this ex-client mowing the lawn herself with an older Pope lawn mower with a 148cc Briggs. She was struggling to push the thing and it was also stalling. Had to smile a little, perhaps she now understands that it's harder than it looks.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2022, 08:28 PM   #1859
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Today, I spotted this ex-client mowing the lawn herself with an older Pope lawn mower with a 148cc Briggs. She was struggling to push the thing and it was also stalling. Had to smile a little, perhaps she now understands that it's harder than it looks.
I often say there’s no joy in vindication, but this spotting of yours deserves an honourable exception.

2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2022, 08:31 PM   #1860
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I often say there’s no joy in vindication, but this spotting of yours deserves an honourable exception.

Love that song, especially Aretha!
Mustang GT