Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
marcusturbo

Default Headlights

I would like to put the XR5 Xenon headlight units in my Titanium but not sure if it will be a straight swap due to mine having the Dynamic Headlights.

The swivel feature is quite good but I would much rather have the brighter Xenon's, had them as standard in my Focus XR5 back in Scotland.

Obviously the headlight unit is the same shape etc but not sure how things would go with the extra bits for running the dynamic side.

Has any one got any knowledge on doing this???

Old 01-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
warren77

There are some threads on this.

I have considered doing it however, have not as it would be illegal.
Unless you have the self levelling feature and the washer jets, they won't be legal.

Once they are physically fitted (and pretty well much a swap in if you get the entire headlight and ballast) it needs to be activated in the car's software - from my understanding.

If you do this, I suspect that you would have issue with your insurance - it is essentially an illegal modification (without the washer etc)
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
There are some threads on this.

I have considered doing it however, have not as it would be illegal.
Unless you have the self levelling feature and the washer jets, they won't be legal.

Once they are physically fitted (and pretty well much a swap in if you get the entire headlight and ballast) it needs to be activated in the car's software - from my understanding.

If you do this, I suspect that you would have issue with your insurance - it is essentially an illegal modification (without the washer etc)
warren
What has washers got to do with it! I'm not trying to be smart maybe now I know why I see square cutouts under headlights on cars why not wipers!

apstar

Last edited by apstar; 01-09-2010 at 10:00 PM.
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
warren
What has washers got to do with it! I'm not trying to be smart maybe now I know why I see square cutouts under headlights on cars why not wipers!

apstar
i was told it is because the light from the Xenons gets refracted (is that the right word?) or bent by dirt on the glass (polycarbonate?) and can blind oncoming drivers. the squirters clean the glass to stop this happening...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
warren77

Apstar

I agree with you. I think it is a joke but that is the law.
The illegal mod would void your insurance.

Broady: refraction is correct term - so the light is refracted is the correct usage.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

MB XR5 with self-levelling Bi-Xenons......and no washers, just the dummy plug for the Oz-spec Mondeo. Ex-factory with only mod being dealer-fitted towbar.
MB XR5's have extra fixed 'cornering' lights that come on when you start to turn the corner. Lesser models (Titanium etc) have swivel lights like the old Citroen DS (1954?-1974?).

And yes, the Xenons are fantastic.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
wusyc

MB Titanium has fixed corning lights too.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
warren77

http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/...t__p__1000311?
A good read with quotes from Australian design standards.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Lesser models (Titanium etc)
Lesser models?

Sorry, what was the RRP of your XR5?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
marcusturbo

That was one bit that I forgot about, the self leveling mechanism!! Not sure if the Titanium would have all the bits built in the car from the factory which would make fitting them a little easier.

Looks like I'll need to do a bit more research into the fitting of them before going any further.

Thanks for the replies so far, all good stuff.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
MB XR5 with self-levelling Bi-Xenons......and no washers, just the dummy plug for the Oz-spec Mondeo.
allan, are you saying your MB has no washers?? strange?? mine definately operate.

the headlight washers only operate when you are using your wiper/washer function and iirc, only intermittently based upon how many wipes your windscreen wipers have done (ie: every so many wipes)

if you do it whilst driving along, you can see spray come up from over the front of your bonnet (or just get someone to do it when you're parked and watch them.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 03-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOND30
Lesser models?

Sorry, what was the RRP of your XR5?
In the UK, the XR5 does not exist.
It is basically the Titanium Sport
Which is the Titanium spec, plus the awesome 5 pot engine with a snail!
They also get some of the additional cool stuff, like the adaptive suspension and GPS.

Taking price out of it, the XR/Titanium Sport is the top of the range.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the washers is it automatic! pointless having washers if its left up to the driver and from the driver seat you cannot tell if its need cleaning thats why I mentioned washers my Volvo had these and came on at the same time as the windscreen washers

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Mondo_braody >> Didn't know I had washers on headlights. From the outside looks like dummy plugs in the bumper, unless they pop up and then squirt.

Will you suggestion at the weekend....and check the glossy brochure too !!!
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #15
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Wifie, a member here, has decided to put PLUS 50 variety bulbs into the Titaniums projector (low-beam), and will do the high-beam compartment too.

Loves the car, doesn't like the low-beam performance so much when downhill/dips and curves etc.

Might help.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
marcusturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Wifie, a member here, has decided to put PLUS 50 variety bulbs into the Titaniums projector (low-beam), and will do the high-beam compartment too.

This might be an option to upgrade the lamps. Let us know what he thinks with the plus 50's??

I use the Platinum in my motorbike and they are good but still not a patch on Xenon's.
Old 20-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mondo_braody >> Didn't know I had washers on headlights. From the outside looks like dummy plugs in the bumper, unless they pop up and then squirt.
yes that is exactly what they do. i believe every time you operate the wiper/washer function, you get one squirt to the headlights for every 5 wipes of the windscreen... i used to have the release ford sent to the dealers before the MB came out but have thrown it out since taking delivery...

Old 23-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #18
cammag

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusturbo
This might be an option to upgrade the lamps. Let us know what he thinks with the plus 50's??

I use the Platinum in my motorbike and they are good but still not a patch on Xenon's.
The first thing I do with a new car is whack in some Phillips Power2nite +50's. With prior cars I have also had IPF 130w driving lights.

With the Mondeo I put in +80's, they made a big difference to the stock bulbs. But I have been doing a lot of night driving lately and decided to pop some HIDs in; 35w/6000k.

They make a really big difference. The colour takes a bit to get used to though. But great just the same.
Old 23-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #19
marcusturbo

I have been reading a few threads today on different lamps and come across these ones,

Osram Nightbreakers

Quite a few people have rated these better than the best from Phillips. I'm going to give them a try.
Old 27-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #20
MOND30
If You Seek AU

I'm tempted by this, but I already get plenty of flashes from oncoming traffic, maybe because the low beams are more inset to the centre of the car?

Would be interested if anyone else gets this, and how you go with these brighter bulbs.

And no, not carrying any weight in the boot, and am familiar with the headlight tilt adjustment knob on the dash
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #21
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOND30
I'm tempted by this, but I already get plenty of flashes from oncoming traffic, maybe because the low beams are more inset to the centre of the car?

Would be interested if anyone else gets this, and how you go with these brighter bulbs.

And no, not carrying any weight in the boot, and am familiar with the headlight tilt adjustment knob on the dash
Turn the knob anti-clockwise to lower the headlight beams. The "standard" position is fully clockwise and should be fine if you don't have a load in the boot.