Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
craigdmb
Starter Motor

Default MC Petrol Zetec Vs Diesel Pricing

Hi Guys,

I have made up my mind, it looks like the Zetec MC it is. Currently have a Ford Fiesta Zetec WS and looking to Upgrade. Also have a Diesel Golf which is being sold privately.

Ford are doing MC Zetec Petrols for $34490 DA. Ringing around a few dealers in VIC, the premium for a Diesel Zetec is roughly 4 - 5 grand which I think is a bit of a ripoff.

I drive 45,000K's a year. All freeway driving, approx 140 Kilometres a day. At my calculations based on Highway Fuel consumption it would take approx 4 years to get back the price premium of the diesel. Just wondering if anyone has managed to score a lower price than 38 - 39 K for a Diesel Zetec.

Also what sort of KMS are we getting freeway driving out of our Petrol Auto Zetecs. I love Diesel as a fuel, the power and the torque is great, but is it really worth such an excessive price premium over the Petrol Model. Bearing in mind it will only be me in the car, not a car full of passengers or luggage.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Cheers

Craig

craigdmb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a petrol 2.3 auto for 2 years and now have a TDCi. Freeway driving in a petrol Mondeo is 9-9.5 l/100km. Mileage in my new diesel, which isn't a Powershift, is about 6.5 l/100km. So you should get about 5.5-6 l/100km out of a MC diesel.

The petrol is OK, especially if you run it on 98 petrol. But the diesel is a much better drive and would be my choice if the $$$ are close.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdmb
Hi Guys,

I have made up my mind, it looks like the Zetec MC it is. Currently have a Ford Fiesta Zetec WS and looking to Upgrade. Also have a Diesel Golf which is being sold privately.

Ford are doing MC Zetec Petrols for $34490 DA. Ringing around a few dealers in VIC, the premium for a Diesel Zetec is roughly 4 - 5 grand which I think is a bit of a ripoff.

I drive 45,000K's a year. All freeway driving, approx 140 Kilometres a day. At my calculations based on Highway Fuel consumption it would take approx 4 years to get back the price premium of the diesel. Just wondering if anyone has managed to score a lower price than 38 - 39 K for a Diesel Zetec.

Also what sort of KMS are we getting freeway driving out of our Petrol Auto Zetecs. I love Diesel as a fuel, the power and the torque is great, but is it really worth such an excessive price premium over the Petrol Model. Bearing in mind it will only be me in the car, not a car full of passengers or luggage.

Cheers

Craig
useing he's fuel consumption, around 2yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
I had a petrol 2.3 auto for 2 years and now have a TDCi. Freeway driving in a petrol Mondeo is 9-9.5 l/100km. Mileage in my new diesel, which isn't a Powershift, is about 6.5 l/100km. So you should get about 5.5-6 l/100km out of a MC diesel.

The petrol is OK, especially if you run it on 98 petrol. But the diesel is a much better drive and would be my choice if the $$$ are close.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
yelpir

Cheers

Craig[/QUOTE]

I drive an MA Zetec. On the freeway, I get between 8.2-8.6 l/100 km
yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a MA Zetec Auto with about a 20/80 city/freeway split and it gets 700kms out of a tanks on 91ULP. With 95/98ULP it used to get 750kms out of a tank. When filling up it takes anywhere from 67-70L of fuel and the DTE is anywhere from 10-30kms.

The petrol is a good car around town but on the fwy it can get a bit daunting, especially if you have to overtake etc. It does run a bit better on the higher octane fuel but here in WA 95/98 is about 12-16c per liter more so the extra cost does not justify the slightly better economy.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I just got a quote on diesel titanium at $44 kay?

I reckon $38 should be the go if you shop around for a Zetec, but they are a bit hard to get atm.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Given there's just you and no luggage, why not consider a Focus? Even if you choose the petrol option, it'll be cheaper to run than the Mondeo. And you'll have $10-20k to spare.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 02:33 AM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
We have a MA Zetec Auto with about a 20/80 city/freeway split and it gets 700kms out of a tanks on 91ULP. With 95/98ULP it used to get 750kms out of a tank. When filling up it takes anywhere from 67-70L of fuel and the DTE is anywhere from 10-30kms.

The petrol is a good car around town but on the fwy it can get a bit daunting, especially if you have to overtake etc. It does run a bit better on the higher octane fuel but here in WA 95/98 is about 12-16c per liter more so the extra cost does not justify the slightly better economy.
The minimum octane rating for the 2.3 petrol engine is 95, not 91 despite what Ford AU and NZ would have us believe. Like most modern engines, it will cope with 91 by effectively retuning itself, which is why the fuel consumption increases.

The dealer where I bought my petrol Mondeo ran their own Mondeos on 95 (most of the sales team's drive cars were Mondeo Zetecs, not Falcons!) and said that engine damage could result from long-term use of 91.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
The minimum octane rating for the 2.3 petrol engine is 95, not 91 despite what Ford AU and NZ would have us believe. Like most modern engines, it will cope with 91 by effectively retuning itself, which is why the fuel consumption increases.

The dealer where I bought my petrol Mondeo ran their own Mondeos on 95 (most of the sales team's drive cars were Mondeo Zetecs, not Falcons!) and said that engine damage could result from long-term use of 91.
85000kms in total so far and about 40000 of those on 91. If it does blow up I wont miss it or lose any sleep over it

Book says 95 is recommended but you can run it on 91, this recommendation also applied to Fiesta, Focus and Falcon.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
Batman105E

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Craig,

Whilst the intial outlay is about 4-5 grand more, you will also get a better resale on the diesel as well, while it may not be the full 4-5 grand over the petrol at purchase it will be 2-3 more than a petrol when you resell it so that will reduce the difference in purchase price on the vehicle over the time you own it and makes the diesel a far more attractive option...

Just my opinion.

Steve.
Batman105E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 05:25 AM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
85000kms in total so far and about 40000 of those on 91. If it does blow up I wont miss it or lose any sleep over it

Book says 95 is recommended but you can run it on 91, this recommendation also applied to Fiesta, Focus and Falcon.
I did fill mine once with 91 and had audible pinking under load - the 91 which is refined in NZ is pretty average. My son reckons that his Honda runs better on Gull, which is imported.

I always used 98 in mine so that I had as much power as possible for overtaking!
Old 13-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
craigdmb
Starter Motor

Default XR5 vs Diesel Mondeo

OK Guys, I have now driven a Petrol MC Zetec, Diesel LX and an XR5. The XR5 was a fantastic drive and may be able to get a used one. The main usage would be approx 140 K'ms per day freeway driving. I know the XR5 would never approach diesel levels of fuel economy. I would think that the Xr5 vs standard petrol would have similar economy on the freeway, would 700 kms out of a tank in an Xr5 not be considered unreasonable. Loved the way the Xr5 drove and of course the extra kit that comes with it even though it is an MB model.
craigdmb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
jellybaby
Starter Motor

My petrol MB Zetec wagon averaged about 8.9 when on a trip to adelaide. There were 5 adults ,2 small dogs and the wagon was packed with luggage.Used CC all the way.
I guess it depends how much you have to pay for diesel petrol compared to regular. Seems to be 10 to 17c per litre more here in Bendigo.
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
OK Guys, I have now driven a Petrol MC Zetec, Diesel LX and an XR5. The XR5 was a fantastic drive and may be able to get a used one. The main usage would be approx 140 K'ms per day freeway driving. I know the XR5 would never approach diesel levels of fuel economy. I would think that the Xr5 vs standard petrol would have similar economy on the freeway, would 700 kms out of a tank in an Xr5 not be considered unreasonable. Loved the way the Xr5 drove and of course the extra kit that comes with it even though it is an MB model.
It's a simple choice then, buy an MC diesel if you want good economy or an XR5 if the driving experience is more important and you don't want/need an auto.

If there was an XR5 wagon available, that's what I'd be driving now.
Old 13-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
You will get 700 kms out of an XR5 doing highway work... no problem.

We have the xr5 and like it, but the manual gets a bit frustrating in city traffic, but out on the open highway its the best car Ive ever driven, its quiet, fuel efficient, has heaps of good features, and will get up and go when required!!

Go the XR5!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
burnz
VFII SS UTE

from a cruze driver i got 900+k's to a tank now with 35000k on the clock
i easly see 1100k's to the tank...60L tank.

i have to say any ford diesel will/should do the same..as my work friends will attest.

30/70 cty/hwy, hilly area
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #17
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

craigdmd - my MB XR5 range on highway shows around 850-900kms range with cruise and air both on (proven - CBR to MEL and only people pit stops). Around town I fill up at 650kms done, with just under 100kms to go (don't trust guages/computers).
Just done a trip to Tas and back covering 3000km. Left here with average at 8.8l/100km and returned with 8.6l/100km. Just keeps getting better.
Not diesel economy of course, but very good for a turbo 5-pot hauling 1500kgs.
I would suggest either MC powershift diesel or the XR5 2.5T MB - skip the 2.3 petrol.

happy hunting.
And here in town , the 98ULP is 15c premium over 91ULP normally. BUT 98ULP similar in price to diesel (which doesn't fluctuate much).
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

NZ XR6 - If there was an XR5 wagon available

....ditto from me too. Have to make do with the hatch !!! Bother !! (he he)
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #19
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
NZ XR6 - If there was an XR5 wagon available

....ditto from me too. Have to make do with the hatch !!! Bother !! (he he)
Yeah, I tried really hard to convince myself that a hatch would be OK...
Old 02-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #20
ADunn
Starter Motor

Default Re: MC Petrol Zetec Vs Diesel Pricing

I got 8.2 l/100km out of my MB LX 2.3 litre wagon fully loaded with family & luggage. Sydney to Bendigo on one tank of fuel (866kms). Compared to what I used to get out of my old Camry 2.2 litre that was pretty good.
ADunn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #21
BDA074

Default Re: MC Petrol Zetec Vs Diesel Pricing

Can you wait for the ECOBoost? Will be a pearler when it comes in July...
BDA074 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post